PDA

View Full Version : Broncos showing interest in Ronald Bartell and Bryant McFadden

Northman
02-22-2009, 10:13 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11758159

Shopping.

For all their needs, the Broncos have made cornerback a top priority.

According to NFL sources, the Broncos will be interested in St. Louis' Ronald Bartell and Pittsburgh's Bryant McFadden once the free-agent market opens at 10:01 p.m. MST Thursday.

The Broncos need a right cornerback after releasing two-year starter Dre Bly last week.

Bartell, who turns 27 today, and McFadden, 27, are younger alternatives to Bly, who turns 32 in May. The 6-foot-1, 210-pound Bartell, and McFadden (6-0, 190), who played some safety at Florida State, are also large by cornerback standards.

Bartell also ran a 4.37-second 40-yard dash as he came out of Howard University. Both Bartell and McFadden came out of the cornerback-deep 2005 NFL draft, when the Broncos selected Darrent Williams in the second round and Karl Paymah and Domonique Foxworth in the third.

Fan in Exile
02-22-2009, 10:27 AM
You gotta wonder on what basis he's saying that they've made CB their priority. They haven't talked to anyone yet. This can only be from leaks inside the organization, so maybe what it means is that these are the people they're a lot more casual about and their real priority is elsewhere.

Ultimately it doesn't matter too much because by now people should know not to believe anything they hear coming from an NFL franchise. So if they say CB, I'm guessing RB, but really who knows.

Northman
02-22-2009, 10:32 AM
You gotta wonder on what basis he's saying that they've made CB their priority. They haven't talked to anyone yet. This can only be from leaks inside the organization, so maybe what it means is that these are the people they're a lot more casual about and their real priority is elsewhere.

Ultimately it doesn't matter too much because by now people should know not to believe anything they hear coming from an NFL franchise. So if they say CB, I'm guessing RB, but really who knows.

Well, we dont know who they have talked too. As for the validity of it, who knows. Everything is taken with a grain of salt even claiming they are willing to break the bank for players. But, they do have to address the CB position now that Bly is gone so i wouldnt doubt this too much. Whether they plan on drafting a guy like Jenkins or signing someone there is no doubt they will have to address it at some point.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-22-2009, 11:38 AM
I like McFadden. His game has improved every year in the league. Plus he comes from a winner and would bring a winner's mentality. I'm sure Bartrell is decent and all, but all things being equal...gimme the champion.

Lonestar
02-22-2009, 03:28 PM
everything equal I'd prefer the one that can get more vertical with todays WR now starting to go from 6'-6'6" more often that not and can jump I'd rather have one like Bartel opposed to the Pygmy we had..

I know nothing about either of them so who ever is the more athletic..

dogfish
02-22-2009, 03:46 PM
i think once we released bly, it was pretty obvious that we'd be taking a close look at corners in free agency. . . i've been hearing bartell's name for a while now, and i really don't get it-- i just don't think he's all that good. . . mcfadden is actually the guy i've been hoping for, so i'm glad to at least see his name out there, FWIW this time of year. . . he's a talented athlete in his prime, he has the speed to man up plus experience running all of lebeau's zone blitz coverages. . . . he'd be a really good fit here, make it happen. . . .

sign mcfadden, chris canty and colin cole-- that would fill our most immediate needs and give us an awful lot of flexibility on draft day. . . . do it!

Cheez Whiz
02-22-2009, 04:07 PM
I liked Bartell coming out of college. He wasn't a top prospect, but i've always been a fan of the larger corner backs. I hope we can get him here in Denver, he would be a nice addition to our secondary.

fcspikeit
02-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Where do these 2 rank as far as corners go in FA? I hope CB isn't the top priority, I know we need one but that's a hole we created when we cut Bly, I would rather take a second rate corner and spend the big bucks in the front 7, that is assuming these 2 are going to get big contracts. Even if they aren't that good, if there the best at the position in FA they will get big contracts..

MOtorboat
02-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Where do these 2 rank as far as corners go in FA? I hope CB isn't the top priority, I know we need one but that's a hole we created when we cut Bly, I would rather take a second rate corner and spend the big bucks in the front 7, that is assuming these 2 are going to get big contracts. Even if they aren't that good, if there the best at the position in FA they will get big contracts..

ESPN rates McFadden as the fifth best corner, and Bartell as the top "defensive back" without a specified position, but his rating is a 71, so a mid-level starter, probably neither are worth a ton of money.

I like the idea of McFadden.

TXBRONC
02-22-2009, 06:28 PM

Nah, its actually a smoke screen for making place kicker the top priority. :D

Cheez Whiz
02-22-2009, 06:28 PM

I rather have Ronald Bartell over McFadden. Bartell was a starter in St Louis and from what I am reading, he was pretty solid. McFadden is just a nickle, we have plenty of those on our team.

"The Broncos will reportedly target CBs Ronald Bartell and Bryant McFadden once free agency begins on February 27.

Denver has no one opposite Champ Bailey. The top CBs available, Bartell and McFadden are both 27, offer size, and tackle well (both have history at safety). They'll likely be seeking six-year deals worth at least $30M."

Lonestar
02-22-2009, 06:30 PM
I rather have Ronald Bartell over McFadden. Bartell was a starter in St Louis and from what I am reading, he was pretty solid. McFadden is just a nickle, we have plenty of those on our team.

"The Broncos will reportedly target CBs Ronald Bartell and Bryant McFadden once free agency begins on February 27.

Denver has no one opposite Champ Bailey. The top CBs available, Bartell and McFadden are both 27, offer size, and tackle well (both have history at safety). They'll likely be seeking six-year deals worth at least $30M."

Sounds like 5 mil per year.. I'll pass..

MOtorboat
02-22-2009, 06:31 PM

We've certainly got the cap room...does seem a little excessive, but it depends on the market, I suppose.

Leigh Bodden is out there too.

Lonestar
02-22-2009, 06:41 PM
We've certainly got the cap room...does seem a little excessive, but it depends on the market, I suppose.

Yes we do have the cap, but who are the CB in NE?

Quick without looking them up can 90% of the members tell me.. are they making 5 mil a year?

I do not know cause, I do not know who they are.. But I doubt it..

for that matter who are the CBs in PIT or BAL..

fcspikeit
02-22-2009, 06:41 PM

I agree Jr, IMO we would be better off paying that to a couple front 7 guys, then picking up a couple corners in the draft.

If we do pay that for our #2 corner, that means the 2 highest paid players on our D, will be CB's.. WTF? That sounds like something Shanahan would do...

You can't build the defense from back to front!

Slick
02-22-2009, 06:45 PM

I like Bodden.

Friday will not get here soon enough.

dogfish
02-22-2009, 06:47 PM

well i hope you're willing to settle for complete and utter garbage at corner, then-- or willing to spend a high draft pick. . . corners get paid in this league. . . you think we're going to get a quality starter for 2-3 million a year? not happening. . . . for that type of money you get the CB equivalent of niko however-you-spell-it. . . a guy that can't cover even with a pass rush. . .

for two mil a year, i doubt we could get foxworth back, and i know how much you liked him! :lol: you ready to see somebody worse starting?

fcspikeit
02-22-2009, 06:48 PM

Quick without looking them up can 90% of the members tell me.. are they making 5 mil a year?

The more I think about this, the more it has me :confused:

Mckid went out of his way to cut second rate guys who were making 2 Mill a year, why would he then go and sign a second rate guy for 5 Mill a year?

Maybe I am wrong about Bartell and McFadden, maybe they are not second rate guys? Still, they had better be top 12 if were going to pay them 5 Mill a year.. Even then, we don't need two top 12 corners at the price we would be shelling out at the position...

Lonestar
02-22-2009, 06:48 PM
I agree Jr, IMO we would be better off paying that to a couple front 7 guys, then picking up a couple corners in the draft.

If we do pay that for our #2 corner, that means the 2 highest paid players on our D, will be CB's.. WTF? That sounds like something Shanahan would do...

You can't build the defense from back to front!

If I have to pay the bigger buck to a guy I want them to start on the LOS and before anyone says what a hypocrite I;m not talking 15 mil a year here..4-5 per year for solid lunch pail guys that come to work and allow everyone behind them to do there job..

guys who are not going to get pushed around or allow the RB to come up the middle..

Someone who allows the LB the freedom to get the QB as a sack, forced fumble or pick because they are harassed..

Give me a bunch of no names that come to work every Sunday and play as a team.. you win and lose games at the LOS.. where we have lost most of ours for almost a decade..

Offense wins games defense wins championships..

Cheez Whiz
02-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Free Agent Cornerbacks (http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2009CB.php)

Lonestar
02-22-2009, 06:54 PM
well i hope you're willing to settle for complete and utter garbage at corner, then-- or willing to spend a high draft pick. . . corners get paid in this league. . . you think we're going to get a quality starter for 2-3 million a year? not happening. . . . for that type of money you get the CB equivalent of niko however-you-spell-it. . . a guy that can't cover even with a pass rush. . .

for two mil a year, i doubt we could get foxworth back, and i know how much you liked him! :lol: you ready to see somebody worse starting?

Me I'll build from the LOS back and start a couple who is that kids at corner and let them learn.. backing them up with a solid FS..

Look at the NE model and I'll bet you we are there in 2-3 years.. it wins games and we can match there O man for man.. Except for perhaps RB and Hillis and torain may do that..

But their DL is studly the LB a little less so their CB are almost unknown of and the FS is damned good..

fcspikeit
02-22-2009, 06:56 PM
If I have to pay the bigger buck to a guy I want them to start on the LOS and before anyone says what a hypocrite I;m not talking 15 mil a year here..4-5 per year for solid lunch pail guys that come to work and allow everyone behind them to do there job..

guys who are not going to get pushed around or allow the RB to come up the middle..

Someone who allows the LB the freedom to get the QB as a sack, forced fumble or pick because they are harassed..

Give me a bunch of no names that come to work every Sunday and play as a team.. you win and lose games at the LOS.. where we have lost most of ours for almost a decade..

Offense wins games defense wins championships..

CB is a defensive position :D

I would rather pay Haynsworth 15 Mill a year then pay a second rate CB 5.. If Heynsworth was the only FA we brought in our defense would be better next year.. If we do nothing on our defense except get a couple secondary guys in FA, I can't see as how our defense will improve much, talent wise anyways..

I am getting a bad feeling about this off season... I really hope McKid don't value CB over the front 7 as Mikey did :tsk:

EMB6903
02-22-2009, 07:00 PM
might as well have Josh Bell and Karl Paymah starting as our CB's.... with no pass rush or somebody to penetrate the pocket it really doesnt make a difference who the starters are.

dogfish
02-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Still, they had better be top 12 if were going to pay them 5 Mill a year..

top 12 corners are getting more like 8-10 million per year these days, ask nate clements and asante samuel. . . . ;)

fcspikeit
02-22-2009, 07:15 PM
top 12 corners are getting more like 8-10 million per year these days, ask nate clements and asante samuel. . . . ;)

Right but at the time of their contracts, they got paid as if they were the best corner out there.

I would say those guys are still getting paid like top 5, What is the 12th highest contract for CB, do you know?

xzn
02-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Maybe someone with computer skills can reformat this, but this is the list from ESPN Insider for the CBs with a starter grade.

Pos. FA Type Ht. Wt. Exp. 2008 Team 2009 Team Grade Comment

Nnamdi Asomugha CB UFA 6-2 210 6 Raiders Raiders 92 Expert's Take
Dunta Robinson CB UFA 5-10 184 5 Texans 78 Expert's Take
Leigh Bodden CB Released 6-1 193 6 Lions 76 Expert's Take
Chris McAlister CB Released 6-1 210 10 Ravens 75 Expert's Take
Bryant McFadden CB UFA 6-0 190 4 Steelers 74 Expert's Take
Kelvin Hayden CB UFA 6-0 195 4 Colts 73 Expert's Take
Joselio Hanson CB UFA 5-9 185 4 Eagles 69 Expert's Take
Domonique Foxworth CB UFA 5-11 180 4 Falcons 68 Expert's Take
Andre' Goodman CB UFA 5-10 190 7 Dolphins 67 Expert's Take
Jabari Greer CB UFA 5-11 180 5 Bills 67 Expert's Take
Chris Johnson CB UFA 6-1 200 6 Raiders 67 Expert's Take
Phillip Buchanon CB UFA 5-11 186 7 Buccaneers 66 Expert's Take
Dre' Bly CB Released 5-10 188 10 Broncos 65 Expert's Take
Eric Green CB UFA 5-11 196 4 Cardinals 65 Expert's Take
Fakhir Brown CB UFA 5-11 195 9 Rams 64 Expert's Take
Deltha O'Neal CB UFA 5-11 194 9 Patriots 63 Expert's Take
David Barrett CB Released 5-10 195 9 NY Jets 62 Expert's Take
Jason Craft CB UFA 5-10 187 10 Rams 59 Expert's Take
Daven Holly CB UFA 5-10 185 4 Browns 59 Expert's Take
Corey Ivy CB UFA 5-9 190 8 Ravens 59 Expert's Take
Player Pos. FA Type Ht. Wt. Exp. 2008 Team 2009 Team Grade Comment
R.W. McQuarters CB UFA 5-10 194 11 NY Giants 59 Expert's Take
Justin Miller CB UFA 5-10 196 4 Raiders 59 Expert's Take
Stanley Wilson CB UFA 5-11 189 4 Lions 59 Expert's Take

xzn
02-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Bryant McFadden | CB Complete player profile
Full Name: Bryant McFadden
Born: November 21, 1981
Hollywood, FL
Height: 6-0
Weight: 190 lbs. Age: 27
Pos: CB
Experience: 4 years
College: Florida State
Drafted: Year:2005 Round:2 Pick:30, Steelers
Insider Analysis
Grade 74

Expert's Take McFadden is a player on the rise. He is the type of corner who goes about his business and is rarely noticed. He did miss time with an injury in 2008, but his toughness is not in question and he cannot be considered a durability risk. He is a tough player, who likes to mix it up in the run game and through the route. McFadden is excellent at keeping the play in front of him and is a solid strong wrap up tackler. He secures the edge against the run and routinely beats wide receiver blocks. He is a quick learner with increasing instincts and recognition skills. He sees plays develop well and shows excellent competitiveness. McFadden has soft hands for the interception and strong ball skills overall. He doesn't have glaring negative attributes, but his straight-line speed is just slightly above average. True burners are capable of running past him, but he is also very adept playing off coverage to make up for his ordinary speed. He is physical with his jam in press coverage. McFadden is better in zone than man coverage, but he would be more than sufficient in any scheme asked of him. It must be noted that he has consistently been a part of a defense with an exceptional pass rush and obviously this has made his job much easier. McFadden is capable of starting for nearly any team in the league and the arrow has to be going up on this young player.

xzn
02-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Ron Bartell | DB Complete player profile
Full Name: Ronald Eugene Bartell
Born: February 22, 1982
Detroit, MI
Height: 6-1
Weight: 209 lbs. Age: 27
Pos: DB
Experience: 4 years
College: Howard

Insider Analysis
Grade 71
Expert's Take Bartell is a four-year player that started 14 games last year for the Rams. He has very good size for the position and is a good overall athlete. In press coverage, he has adequate hand use to jam and disrupt the release with good hips to flip and accelerate up field. He has good speed and acceleration covering routes vertically with long arms to reach in and break up plays. Bartell has shown improved ball skills and route recognition, since coming into the league. This past season he led the team in pass break ups and finished second on the team in interceptions with three. He has good overall body control with enough quickness to remain tight at the breaks on shorter routes. He has the ability to make up ground vertically from a trail position, due to his long stride. He possesses good overall quickness and body control for his size from an off position. He will usually shuffle and open his hips to read the quarterback, when playing from an off position and is susceptible to getting turned by good route runners who can sell the stem well. However, he is seeing the ball better in zones. In run support, he gives adequate effort, but is not an overly physical run-support player or tackler.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-22-2009, 08:10 PM

McFadden wasn't the nickel. He started.

Cheez Whiz
02-22-2009, 08:32 PM

Depth Chart states otherwise. Maybe it is because he missed a bunch of games.

dogfish
02-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Right but at the time of their contracts, they got paid as if they were the best corner out there.

I would say those guys are still getting paid like top 5, What is the 12th highest contract for CB, do you know?

that's a fair point. . . i have no idea what the top 10-12 CB contracts are, but we can take a look at what some of the big names get paid-- of course, you also have to remember that salaries go up every year, and some of these deals that were signed three or more years ago aren't equal to what these players would be getting on the open market today. . . and of course, every contract is structured differently in terms of guaranteed money, base salary vs.roster bonuses, performance incentives, etc. . . but here's just a baseline, "total worth" look at some of the big boys. . .

marcus trufant : 6 years / 50 million 8.3 mil per year
nate clements : 8 years / 80 million 10 mil per year
antoine winfield : rotoworld doesn't give full details 6 mil per year *
charles woodson : 7 years / 52 million 7.4 mil per year
asante samuel : 6 years / 57 million 9.5 mil per year
terence newman : 6 years / 50 million 8.3 mil per year
champ bailey : 7 years / 63 million 9 mil per year
nnamdi asomugha : 3 years / 45 million :eek: 15 mil per year
rashean mathis : 5 years / 25 million 5 mil per year
kelvin hayden : 5 years / 43 million 8.6 mil per year
dunta robinson : franchise tag ~ 10 mil per year

* winfield is in the last year of his current contract-- without the exact details of his deal i can't get an average, but IMO the one-year value is more accurate in this case anyways. . .

as you can see, top corners aren't signing deals worth below about 7-8 million per year on average these days (although cortland finnegan did take a way below-market extension from the titans). . . rashean mathis and winfield are the only names on that list making less, and they're both working on older contracts. . . so, you can say that a guy should be a top 10-12 CB for 5 mil per year, but IMO that number just isn't realistic. . . i can go to my local butcher shop and tell them i want filet for $5.99 a pound, but they aren't going to sell it to me for that. . .

mcfadden isn't an elite player, but he's a very solid one who's really just starting to hit his peak. . . he'd be a great fit here, and in no way would that signing wreck our salary cap structure when we have over 30 million in cap space available-- we can afford to burn 15% of our space to sign a veteran corner. . .

i undrestand that people want to rebuild the front seven, and i'm in COMPLETE agreement-- no one has yelled longer or louder for that to happen than i have! but i'm persistent in my belief that it isn't the only area of the team that needs attention, nor do we need to spend 100% of our available resources there. . . i want a balanced team that's competent in every area. . . i just don't see us spending 30+ million in cap space plus the bulk of nine draft picks all on the front seven, no matter how badly we need help there. . . for one thing, unless we blow most of the wad on either peppers or haynesworth, there really just aren't THAT many high quality front seven guys available. . . canty, maybe olshansky, channing crowder, ray lewis (not happening), and bart scott is decent. . . but it's not exactly a bumper crop for talented 3-4 guys in their prime. . . i've said before and will say until he gets signed somewhere that IMO chris canty should be our top target in free agency, but i don't think he should or will cost so much that it prohibits us from signing a guy like mcfadden as well. . .

if we'd had killer drafts for the last ten years we could rest on that depth and afford to really pick and choose how we want to spend our FA dollars, but the way we're backed into a corner on defense we're going to have to spend some cash, and solid starters just don't come cheap unless you happen to get really lucky (usually with an older vet that signs a "prove it" deal like rodney harrison in NE, and still has something in the tank). . . i do think we need to manage the cap wisely, of course, but we're probably going to have to pay for some vets if we want to be competitive on D any time soon. . .

Requiem / The Dagda
02-23-2009, 04:43 PM
I'd prefer McFadden. I'd actually love that signing.

Superchop 7
02-23-2009, 05:36 PM
I like Ron,

That being said,

He does have a knee issue.

However, it's not a big deal imo.

The Rams have been trying to re-sign him.

If we can get him, it would be sweet.

JONtheBRONCO
02-23-2009, 05:58 PM

2008: 10 games played; 8 started
2007: 13 games played; 0 started
2006: 16 games played; 9 started
2005: 12 games played; 1 started

18 games started in 4 years.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Started 8 games due to an injury in 08. Started at the beginning and at the end of the season...and in the playoffs He was a starting CB in Pittsburgh. Ike Taylor was the other. Gay started when McFadden was hurt.

turftoad
02-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Either one would be fine by me. I just hope we look at Sean Jones S from Cleveland also. The guy is a playmaker that isn't going to demand huge $$.