PDA

View Full Version : MCDANIELS set for Free Agent SHOPPING SPREE

WARHORSE
02-22-2009, 05:36 AM
INDIANAPOLIS — The two men in charge of redesigning the Broncos have spent the past few days at the NFL combine scouting future talent.
Sure, the upcoming draft will be important to the Broncos' rebuilding process, especially on defense. But the most significant changes are likely to come through free agency, which begins Friday.
New coach Josh McDaniels on Friday said the team will be "as aggressive as we need to be" in acquiring new players, and he and new general manager Brian Xanders have money to spend.
The team cleared about $30 million of salary cap space after releasing 12 players, including several high-priced defensive starters.
The team could sign as many as eight free agents this offseason, nearly all of them on defense. Combine those moves with nine draft picks — plus other college free agents — and the 2009 Broncos will look substantially different from the group that finished 2008 at 8-8 and out of the playoffs.
"In transition, there is always fallout sometimes, unfortunately, but that's part of the NFL," Xanders said. "In this modern system, there's a lot of change on rosters from year to year."
The Broncos' old regime tried to fix the defense through free agency last offseason by signing linebackers Boss Bailey and Niko Koutouvides and safeties Marquand Manuel and Marlon McCree.
None could be considered blockbuster signings, and the new regime clearly considered Koutouvides and Manuel to be busts. They were among the players purged last week. McCree is an unrestricted free agent and is not expected to be re-signed.
Given that history, it is crucial that McDaniels and Xanders select the right players in this round of free agency in order to field an improved — and competitive — defense right away. "If we look to sign players in free agency, it's because we think they are the best thing for our team at this point, regardless of what happened in the past," McDaniels said. "There is nothing we can control with what was done here before, and they've also done some good things here in the past too. It's just a moving-forward process, and we're interested in players that are going to help us get better."

The team is unlikely to sign any of the biggest name free agents — such as Tennessee defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth — but the Broncos could add a slew of second-tier players at a variety of positions, from defensive line to linebacker to defensive back to kicker. The team might also try to add to its wide receiver depth.
Adding a number of lesser names would be cost-effective, and it would help the Broncos fill plenty of starting spots that are now vacant.
Still, that doesn't mean the Broncos are going to be frugal. If McDaniels and Xanders deem a player worthy of a big contract, the team will pay up. "I think there's a lot of players worth a lot of money. And if some of those players are attractive to us and fit within our system, then we might have an interest in them too," McDaniels said. "The goal isn't to have everybody be at a smaller salary; it's making sure to get the players there that are going to fit the system, that you've placed a solid value on them and that they perform at that level."

Reading this, it just states from McDaniels own mouth that if we NEED a player and they think hes worth the money.......they will sign them.

I dont know about anyone else, but DEFENSIVE LINE is the BIGGEST NEED Denver has.

Hobe
02-22-2009, 05:54 AM
Big names don't guarantee a solutions or success. The Broncos have just added Kidd for Scouting, a hole left with the departure of the Goodmans. Things are coming together.

"I think there's a lot of players worth a lot of money. And if some of those players are attractive to us and fit within our system, then we might have an interest in them too," McDaniels said. "The goal isn't to have everybody be at a smaller salary; it's making sure to get the players there that are going to fit the system, that you've placed a solid value on them and that they perform at that level."

I like the attitude and the apparent thought behind it. Second-tier players can step up, Eddy Mac, or not Koutouvide.

WARHORSE
02-22-2009, 06:02 AM
Things are coming together.

I like the attitude and the apparent thought behind it. Second-tier players can step up, Eddy Mac, or not Koutouvide.

Agreed. I love the attitude. If they think the player fits the mold and will help us............hes going to try and get him.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-22-2009, 06:12 AM
I will play for free.

Fan in Exile
02-22-2009, 07:58 AM
I don't think DE is that big a need. It looks like we've got Thomas, Powell, and maybe Peterson who can play there. So if nothing else we've got back-ups. Our NT spot however is just one huge gaping hole.

With that being said however, I think that linebackers are more important in the 3-4 than D-linemen are and ours inspire no confidence whatsoever. I don't think we've even got the guys who would make good back-ups. These are the guys who are going to have to stop the pass, and back up the D-line in the running game. Don't get me wrong the D-line has to do their job but the linebackers have to make the plays. So I think that our weaknesses there make that a bigger need.

TXBRONC
02-22-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm curious as what 2nd tier players Xanders and McDaniels are targeting.

Northman
02-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Kind of weird that they would go all in into one player like that. Wasnt the New England motto that they wouldnt pay high priced players and instead relied on team guys who had great chemistry? This could be a bad thing.

Fan in Exile
02-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Kind of weird that they would go all in into one player like that. Wasnt the New England motto that they wouldnt pay high priced players and instead relied on team guys who had great chemistry? This could be a bad thing.

I have no idea what one player you are talking about here? The article never mentions anyone that they are going after, it only says that if they think someone is worth the money they'll pay it.

Northman
02-22-2009, 10:04 AM
I have no idea what one player you are talking about here? The article never mentions anyone that they are going after, it only says that if they think someone is worth the money they'll pay it.

Im talking in reference about Haynesworth who is a hot topic on this board right now. The guy wants big money and i just dont want to break the bank for one player.

Fan in Exile
02-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Im talking in reference about Haynesworth who is a hot topic on this board right now. The guy wants big money and i just dont want to break the bank for one player.

I kind of figured that you'd gone off-topic that way. But the article and this thread never mentioned him, so I wondered. It may be a hot topic here but I've never heard McDaniels even mention him so so we probably don't have to worry about it, much less post the same thing in three different threads.

Northman
02-22-2009, 10:34 AM
I kind of figured that you'd gone off-topic that way. But the article and this thread never mentioned him, so I wondered. It may be a hot topic here but I've never heard McDaniels even mention him so so we probably don't have to worry about it, much less post the same thing in three different threads.

How did i go off topic? Is Haynesworth not a FA who would fall under the shopping spree umbrella? Seriously, wtf was that comment all about. :lol:

BroncoJoe
02-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Haynesworth was, in fact, mentioned in the article.

Northman
02-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Haynesworth was, in fact, mentioned in the article.

True, and considering you cant trust everything that comes out of a NFL organization (like CB top priority) this could mean that really Denver is looking to sign him for all we know. :lol:

SmilinAssasSin27
02-22-2009, 11:44 AM
"In transition, there is always fallout sometimes, unfortunately, but that's part of the NFL," Xanders said. "In this modern system, there's a lot of change on rosters from year to year."

This quote is pure genius!

rcsodak
02-22-2009, 12:51 PM

lol
I had to read that 3 times, myself. :confused:

BroncoJoe
02-22-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm wondering if the comma (from the reporter) was necessary or intended after the word "sometimes".

He could have meant "... there is always fallout, sometimes unfortunately, ..."

SmilinAssasSin27
02-22-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm wondering if the comma (from the reporter) was necessary or intended after the word "sometimes".

I was thinkin the same..but that wouldn't fit either.

TXBRONC
02-22-2009, 02:05 PM

According to what Xanders he's not comfortable with idea of one player commanding a high percentage of the salary cap. I don't remember exactly but I think the number that Xanders used somewhere in the neighborhood of 30%.

Fan in Exile
02-22-2009, 02:12 PM
How did i go off topic? Is Haynesworth not a FA who would fall under the shopping spree umbrella? Seriously, wtf was that comment all about. :lol:

You're right instead of saying off-topic, I should of said. Stop cross posting about Haynesworth we get it he doesn't fit the mold of New England. It also doesn't matter what New England did, because we don't now what McDaniels is going to do as he works with Xanders.

You're right your post wasn't off topic it was just pointless and needlessly repeated.

Now if we are targeting a bunch of FA who would fit the bill? I'm guessing:

Gabe Watson
Chris Canty
Gibril Wilson
Larry Foote (depending on what happens with him and Pitt)
Eric Barton
Bart Scott
James Farrior
Bryant McFadden
Mike Brown

Fan in Exile
02-22-2009, 02:13 PM
I was thinkin the same..but that wouldn't fit either.

Maybe he just changed his mind about what he was going to say. It looks bad in print, but we all do it.

TXBRONC
02-22-2009, 02:17 PM
You're right instead of saying off-topic, I should of said. Stop cross posting about Haynesworth we get it he doesn't fit the mold of New England. It also doesn't matter what New England did, because we don't now what McDaniels is going to do as he works with Xanders.

You're right your post wasn't off topic it was just pointless and needlessly repeated.

Now if we are targeting a bunch of FA who would fit the bill? I'm guessing:

Gabe Watson
Chris Canty
Gibril Wilson
Larry Foote (depending on what happens with him and Pitt)
Eric Barton
Bart Scott
James Farrior
Bryant McFadden
Mike Brown

I would be leery of signing Mike Brown, everyone else on your list I would be very comfortable with.

Lonestar
02-22-2009, 03:17 PM

I think the coma is in the wrong place..

"In transition, there is always fallout, sometimes unfortunately, but that's part of the NFL," Xanders said. "In this modern system, there's a lot of change on rosters from year to year."

If you move it one word back it has an entirely different context..

I do not think Xanders is a word smith YET.. not after his interview was totally uncomfortable speaking in front of a camera..

sorry I did not see this was already addressed on this page had nto got to it yet..

But the latter part is still relevant Xnader is not a word smith..

dogfish
02-22-2009, 04:03 PM
cut him some slack fellas-- he's a football coach, not a poet-laureate. . . . :laugh:

i'm not sure how to feel about adding eight or nine players, especially when they say:

Adding a number of lesser names would be cost-effective, and it would help the Broncos fill plenty of starting spots that are now vacant.

i hope they're not planning on spending all that cap space we freed up to bring in an army of scrubs! we tried that last year, and one season later most of 'em are gone already. . . i'm on board with not spending a gigantic chunk on one individual (haynesworth or peppers), but i'd rather see them dole out two or three solid contracts to add QUALITY players than sign all of the cheapest stiffs out there. . . .

dang, this time of year. . . . :tsk: the anticipation is killin' me!

Cugel
02-22-2009, 06:09 PM
cut him some slack fellas-- he's a football coach, not a poet-laureate. . . . :laugh:

i'm not sure how to feel about adding eight or nine players, especially when they say:

i hope they're not planning on spending all that cap space we freed up to bring in an army of scrubs! we tried that last year, and one season later most of 'em are gone already. . . i'm on board with not spending a gigantic chunk on one individual (haynesworth or peppers), but i'd rather see them dole out two or three solid contracts to add QUALITY players than sign all of the cheapest stiffs out there. . . .

dang, this time of year. . . . :tsk: the anticipation is killin' me!
NO! We all want SCRUBS!

IN honor of Monty Python:

"Scrubs, Scrubs, Scrubs! Scrubs! Lovely Scrubs! Wonderful Scrubs!" :laugh:

Keary Colbert, Marquand Manuel, Jimmy Kennedy, Sam Adams and Nikko Koutivides, come on down!" :laugh:

TXBRONC
02-22-2009, 06:12 PM
NO! We all want SCRUBS!

Keary Colbert, Marquand Manuel, Jimmy Kennedy, Sam Adams and Nikko Koutivides, come on down!" :laugh:

IIRC we at least got something for Colbert.

Lonestar
02-22-2009, 06:25 PM
NO! We all want SCRUBS!

we got them once before and many others.. lets not go there again..

fcspikeit
02-22-2009, 07:10 PM

So what he might have meant, "There is always fallout, and sometimes its unfortunate,"?

I guess that sounds better then saying something always happens, sometimes, :lol:

WARHORSE
02-23-2009, 12:33 AM
Well, if we sign Haynesworth, you can thank Asomugha for setting his price at $45 million for three years, $28 million of which is guaranteed.

Considering what the Jokeland scrubs pump out, Id give that up to see him planting Rivers, Jamarcus and Thigpen on their butts year in and year out. Id ESPECIALLY love to watch him do it to Peyton and Brady.:coffee:

WARHORSE
02-23-2009, 02:05 AM
Head Coach Josh McDaniels (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9591) address the media at the 2009 NFL Scouting Combine.
(on his thoughts of the team roster)
I think there is a lot of good pieces in place. We have some productive players that are coming back on both sides of the ball. I think our focus on the roster - as it stands currently stands - is to improved every phase of our team. There is a big focus on the defense, but to me every player that we bring in is going to hopefully help us in some capactiy. Our offense needs to improve, our defense needs to improve and our special teams need to improve. And we need to improve significantly in all three areas. We didn't make the playoffs and there is always a reason for that. Certainly it is not all the players' fault, but we are going to try to mold the roster to make it the most competitive that we can at every spot not just on one side of the ball or another.
(on how big the challenge is on defense)
It starts with our staff. We brought in a new defensive staff, Coach (Mike) Nolan (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=9625) will do a great job being the coordinator of that defense and we put in a different system and we want that system to last. We want to put it in place, we want it to be consistent and we want to give the players a great opportunity to be successful. So that is where it starts. And identify the right players -- I think that is very very important that we identify exactly who we are looking for, we know what role they are going to play when they come here and when they get here that is what we are using them to do. We are not going to bring players in and then have them do a bunch of things that we never thought they could do before they got to Denver. It is a process that is ongoing right now at the combine and we will look at that through free agency also. Every player we bring in, we want them to have a good role on the team, whether it be on defense, offense, or in the kicking game and we want to use them that way.
(on if releasing players was a personnel issue or a financial issue)
Could be either. The best decision we can make for our team at this point. In the direction that we're headed, offensively or defensively, and then in some cases obviously contracts play an issue, you know, when you make moves and make decisions. Whatever the decision is we're making it because it's the best thing for our team at that point and moving forward into the future.
(on if he detected resistance from quarterback Jay Cutler (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=5907))
No, I wasn't worried about it and I've met with him several times and I'm confident in what I can do and what our staff can do and how good we can be and Jay's going to be a big part of that. My focus is on telling him how he's going to be better because we all can improve and certainly that's our goal. That's what my communication with him has been, to get him up to speed and try to talk to him about how I feel next year and going forward is going to be different than the years he's already played here in Denver. I think we have a good relationship now, it's definitely on the right track, and I'm looking forward to working with him this year.
(on if eliminating mistakes before they start if a way for Cutler to improve)
For quarterbacks, that's always a big goal - making good decisions - he's certainly made plenty of them. But I don't think there's any quarterback that goes through a season that doesn't make some mistakes. I think getting comfortable with our system and being able to use all of the things we try to give the quarterback the ability to use, I think that's a big thing for him heading into the season and we're going to work real hard in the spring to try and get him to that point.
(on philosophy towards free agency and the draft)
We're interested in any player that's going to make us better and again that's going to be a very specific thing. We don't want to bring in a bunch of players that don't really fit what we're going to do with them. After the evaluation of the players is done with, if we feel like they can help us improve in any area, in any phase, then we're going to be interested in them. Whether that be through free agency or the draft. Any personnel decision that we make, hopefully will impact our team in a positive way and we'll look into doing it.
(on philosophy towards building coaching staff)
The first thing I look for are teachers and I think I've got quite a few coaches that are on the staff now that I feel very good about in terms of the way they communicate. I think that's very important for any coach. Definitely a mixture of younger and older coaches, I think that's important also. Experience is valuable. But I also think there are some benefits to having a mixture like that on your staff. We're going to be dealing with younger players, some older players at different positions on the same side of the ball. You want to have different personalities on the defensive side of the ball. You don't want to have a bunch of mean, quiet guys and you don't want to have a bunch of happy-go-lucky guys either. You want to have kind of a good mixture so that the defensive room and the offensive room has a good blend.
(on how much input Mike Nolan has on selecting defensive players)
We went through our evaluations with our staff and everybody had an opportunity to discuss what they felt about each player, whether it was on offense or defense, and (General Manager) Brian (Xanders) (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=8687) and I made the final decision on what to do.

WARHORSE
02-23-2009, 02:05 AM
(on if the evaluation process of players is different now as a head coach)
You're evaluating everybody. I've had an opportunity in my past to experience that; evaluating on the defensive side, the offensive side and linemen, etc. But you're doing that all at the same time now so you're mornings are a little earlier and your nights are a little later, but, that's just part of the job. You're trying to evaluate what's best for your team not just what's best at quarterback or what's best on offense so you have to keep that in mind.
(on if there will be reluctance to enter free agency because of the past)
I don't think it's important because of the past, I think it's important because I think that's our goal, to hit on it. If we look to sign players in free agency it's because we feel like they're the best thing for our team at this point, regardless of what happened in the past. There's nothing we can control that was done here before and they've also done some good things here in the past too. It's just a moving forward process and we're interested in players that's going to help us get better, if they will, that's the decision that will be made.
(on how aggressive the Broncos will be in free agency)
As aggressive as we need to be. We're interested in a lot of things and we have areas that we can improve on. We have, obviously, like every team, needs and holes to fill, if there's a player out there that will feel that, then we're going to be aggressive and pursue.
(on if there are financial constraints in free agency)
Just the salary cap. No, we're looking to try to bring in players that can help us, and we have room available. We'll see how it goes in the next few weeks.
(on seeing his former Patriots coworkers at the combine)
It's interesting. It's good because they're not all still in New England, so maybe New England won't be quite as good this year. Who knows, we'll see. But no, all those people who have gone other places are very deserving of those opportunities. Scott (Pioli) will do great in Kansas City, the anybody's that's left there is very deserving of the opportunity because I know how hard they work and what they've done there. I just saw Scott Pioli there in the hallway and got to spend a few minutes with him, and you don't get much time to talk once you leave and take another job, so it's been good to be able to meet and catch up with some of those guys.
(on if it will be strange to play the Patriots)
No. I mean I know some people over there. But will I know we're playing the Patriots, sure. But I'll be just as eager to beat them as I will to beat the other 15 opponents we play, so it'll be exciting and I'll look forward to the challenge, because I know it will be one.
(on if there is pressure to win right away)
I think if you're in this business, you should feel like you have to win because that's how we all get judged. It's a production business and it is based on wins. That was really the thing that drew me to (Broncos President and CEO) Pat Bowlen (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=113) right away. He really expressed his interest in bringing in someone who cared about winning, and winning only, and winning first, and that's really kind of my attitude and approach. I don't really have any desire to come in to this job and not try to do that with every decision we make and everything we do. Our expectations are to compete at a very high level, and we're working every day to try to do that.
(on what has been the biggest surprise)
There hasn't a whole lot of surprises in terms of the football part of it. I had great, quality experience and put in a tremendous amount of preparation for this over the last couple of years which has helped tremendously. Some of the decisions you make on a daily basis, on non football issues, have been a little surprising. The color of paint on your walls. Whether to do yoga. Those kind of things are a little different. I've never really had the opportunity to decide things like that. The football part of it has been pretty much what I thought it would be. I've done it for eight years somewhere else. I've witnessed it. I have a good taste in my mouth from where I'm coming from.
(on his relationship with Brian Xanders)
I have a great relationship with Brian Xanders, and that started in the interview process, and then obviously it has carried over the last five weeks. I think very highly of Brian as an evaluator. But his experience and value to us is vast. He understands the salary cap, he can deal with contracts, he knows players, he can deal with pro personnel, he has done college scouting. So his experience has been great. I'm looking forward to working with him. I know he'll do a great job. And we're going to count on him to play a big part in our organization.
(on how they will decide when their is a disagreement)
We're going to get it right, and we're going to work together. That's part of the process. At the end, you have to decide on somebody, and maybe that means who yells loudest, but that's what we're going to do, and the final decision will come down, and we'll make sure we're on the same page.
(on if he was consulted on the General Manager decision)
I was definitely part of the conversation. I think that's the only way to do it. If you're going to make a decision like that, you want to make sure everyone in the organization, in particular the head coach, is on board with what we're doing. We're going to move forward and we're going to get right.
(on why the change from Jim Goodman to Xanders)
Well, he's no longer with the organization, so that's one. But me and Brian, the way we've approached this and the way we're going to approach it, we're both going to be heavily involved in the evaluation process of players, whether its in free agency or the draft, and we're going to work to a consensus between the two of us. I think that's a very effective way to do it. He hears everything that I have to say about a player, and I'm going to hear everything he has to say about the player so that there is no gap in the communication. I think that is very important - vital - when you're making your team. I think it's going to go exactly the way we want it to go; by the time we're ready to make a decision on a free agent or a draft pick, we are going to agree that's the best player for us at that time.
(on how difficult it will be to wear so many hats)
That's being a head coach. It's not an easy job. I'm happy to have this job, and if I didn't think I could do that, I wouldn't do it. But we'll be involved in a lot of things. I'm not going to back away from calling plays on the offensive side of the ball because I think that's the best thing for the team. If I feel like that wouldn't be the best thing for our team, we will make a decision and we will change it. But at this current time, that's going to be the structure, and we'll go forward with it.
(on if the team will do yoga)
I think it's a no. I said no. My mom does yoga. But I don't know. There are not a lot of teams in the league that are doing that. I'm not sure you have to do that to be successful.
(on what color paint he picked)
White, clean white.
(on what makes the 3-4 defense difficult to play against)
The 3-4, and to answer your question, you're going to see some 3-4 from us. I'm not going to say we're going to be all 3-4, but it's going to some combination there of, but I think the 34 defense presents some unique challenges to an offense. Without getting too technical, there are some bigger bodies out there that you have to decide how to block them properly both in the running game in the protection in the passing game, and with certain teams that play against a 4-3 all training camp long and then all of a sudden get in there and play against a 34 in the season, that can be difficult, and vice versa. I know in New England we've always practiced against a 3-4 during training camp, and then you get to a 4-3 team, and it's like, 'Wait a minute, they're not supposed to line up like this.' It just gives some more balanced rushes. You never feel like you're out of whack in terms of the rotation. You don't have to do certain things based on the formations the offense lines up in because you're pretty much balanced. When you cut it right down the middle, it is what it is. There's as guys on this side as there are on that side, and it gives you more flexibility. The challenge is finding the players that fit really well in it, and that's what we're after. That will be ongoing from this point forward.
(on how long it takes to develop the 3-4)
I don't think there's a timeline on it. It could be quicker or it could be a little longer into the future. We gave up 450 points last year doing it one way, and I think the goal is to get something in place that's going to be consistent, and we can adapt to it, and we can adapt to it based on the players we have in the system. We're not going to tie our hands and do one thing or the other. Whatever we have and whatever we feel best about when we get to September, that's what we'll play on defense. And it's going to be the same way on offense, the same way in the kicking game, because to me, that's the way you win. You don't win by saying this is what we do, and no changing. Because if you don't change in this league, somebody will figure out a way to beat you doing what you think is best if you're never going to move. We're going to make moves and try to get people in we feel can handle our system the best, and then we're going to adapt as we go and try to be as competitive as we can once September hits.

dogfish
02-23-2009, 02:28 AM
I think that is very very important that we identify exactly who we are looking for, we know what role they are going to play when they come here and when they get here that is what we are using them to do. We are not going to bring players in and then have them do a bunch of things that we never thought they could do before they got to Denver.

no more making good linebackers try to be fullbacks? i love hearing that. . . .

fcspikeit
02-23-2009, 03:15 AM
Well, if we sign Haynesworth, you can thank Asomugha for setting his price at $45 million for three years, $28 million of which is guaranteed.

Considering what the Jokeland scrubs pump out, Id give that up to see him planting Rivers, Jamarcus and Thigpen on their butts year in and year out. Id ESPECIALLY love to watch him do it to Peyton and Brady.:coffee:

IMO, anyone who tries to use the Raiders ridicules contracts as a bargaining chip should have to play for the Raiders!

WARHORSE
02-23-2009, 05:01 AM
IMO, anyone who tries to use the Raiders ridicules contracts as a bargaining chip should have to play for the Raiders!

Fact is, whenever someone signs a highpriced contract, it affects the whole market.

Hes actually using Jared Allens contract as the one that hes looking for.

If he were to sign in Denver, Id rather see a three year contract like Asomughas than a seven year deal like Jareds.

TXBRONC
02-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Fact is, whenever someone signs a highpriced contract, it affects the whole market.

Hes actually using Jared Allens contract as the one that hes looking for.

If he were to sign in Denver, Id rather see a three year contract like Asomughas than a seven year deal like Jareds.

I think spreading it over a longer period is better from the management side of it. Because then your committing less cash per year to just that one player.

fcspikeit
02-24-2009, 04:14 AM
I think spreading it over a longer period is better from the management side of it. Because then your committing less cash per year to just that one player.

Yeah and the signing bonus is spread out over the length of the contract so the hit from that isn't as great with a longer contract.

Also, you can make it back end heavy, then if the level of play falls off you can cut him.. Kind of like what the Colts are doing with Harrison.

LordTrychon
02-24-2009, 04:44 AM
no more making good linebackers try to be fullbacks? i love hearing that. . . .

Or taking a punt returner and making him your #2 receiver?

dogfish
02-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Or taking a punt returner and making him your #2 receiver?

nice try, lord trychon! but shanahan said the day after the draft that the thing they liked the best about royal was that he got off the jam at the line better than any other wideout in the draft-- he was picked as much for his ability as a receiver as for his ability as a return man, if not more so. . . did they expect him to start right away? no, shenanigans said they'd planned on using him out of the slot initially, but elevating him to the starting role because he earned it in training camp was no position switch. . . .

LordTrychon
02-24-2009, 05:37 PM
nice try, lord trychon! but shanahan said the day after the draft that the thing they liked the best about royal was that he got off the jam at the line better than any other wideout in the draft-- he was picked as much for his ability as a receiver as for his ability as a return man, if not more so. . . did they expect him to start right away? no, shenanigans said they'd planned on using him out of the slot initially, but elevating him to the starting role because he earned it in training camp was no position switch. . . .

You believe everything Shenanigans tells you?

You can't belittle him at one point and then praise his word another. :confused:

Lonestar
02-24-2009, 05:42 PM
You can't believe anything Shenanigans tells you?

You can belittle him at one point and then not praise his word another. :confused:

edited for accuracy..

yep that is more like it.. :laugh:

underrated29
02-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Hey now lt- I called royal right as soon as i saw his first highlight video. I knew then he was going to be a stud, and i am no scout or anything like that....

Point is if I could see it, i am sure shanny and the other professionals did too.

I think you would have been better served to go with the Dwill as a returner and making him a #2 cb arguement instead.

LordTrychon
02-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Hey now lt- I called royal right as soon as i saw his first highlight video. I knew then he was going to be a stud, and i am no scout or anything like that....

Point is if I could see it, i am sure shanny and the other professionals did too.

I think you would have been better served to go with the Dwill as a returner and making him a #2 cb arguement instead.

Fine... what he said.

:cheeky:

Haven't you all heard that Shanny originally planned on using Cutler as a Safety, but decided to move him?

Cheez Whiz
02-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Broncos FA signing predictions:

Channing Crowder | ILB
Gabe Watson | NT
Ronald Bartell | CB
Gibril Wilson | SS
James Sanders | FS

WARHORSE
02-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Broncos FA signing predictions:

Channing Crowder | ILB
Gabe Watson | NT
Ronald Bartell | CB
Gibril Wilson | SS
James Sanders | FS

I wouldnt be upset with those.........except maybe Watson.

That would only be due to his weight issues.

Dont see him coming to Denver.......but if he does........I'll be happy if Xman and McD want him.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-25-2009, 05:50 PM
They're not at the top of my position lists, but they're also not too far down em.