PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Hire some Kidd

broncosinindy
02-22-2009, 04:06 AM
INDIANAPOLIS — With free agency opening in four days, the Broncos have hired Keith Kidd to become their new pro scouting director.

Kidd was New England's assistant director of pro scouting from 2002-04, a period when Broncos coach Josh McDaniels was breaking in as a Patriots defensive coaching assistant.

Kidd is a scout through and through. He worked eight seasons (1991-98) with the Arizona Cardinals, then spent four seasons (1998-2001) as the Cleveland Browns' director of pro personnel. Since leaving the Pats, Kidd was a columnist for ESPN's Scout Inc.

The Broncos are not expected to add any more personnel to their scouting department until after the draft.

Keith Kidd
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Keith Kidd
Position(s) Assistant Director of Pro Scouting
College Eastern Kentucky
Team(s) as a coach/administrator
1991-1998

1999-2001

2002-2004 Arizona Cardinals
(Scout)
Cleveland Browns
(Director of Pro Personnel)
New England Patriots
(Assistant Director of Pro Scouting)
Keith Kidd is a columnist for ESPN.com and a National Football League scout for ESPN's scouting organization, Scouts, Inc. After graduating from Eastern Kentucky University, Kidd spent eight years in the scouting department of the Arizona Cardinals, before moving to the Cleveland Browns as their director of pro personnel from 1999 through 2001. He then spent three years with the New England Patriots as their assistant director of pro scouting prior to joining Scouts, Inc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Kidd

Lonestar
02-22-2009, 05:22 AM
anyone else know anything about him?

Hope he can make heads or tails out of what the goodmans left behind..

WARHORSE
02-22-2009, 05:44 AM
anyone else know anything about him?

Yep.

Hes that Keith Kidd dude.........

..........from that other place...........before......................prior to coming here.....................that had some 'sperience.

:coffee:

JKcatch724
02-22-2009, 06:48 AM
Hopefully he's related to Jason Kidd. Cuz he's pretty successful. He is. I'm sure he is...

I'm so bored with the offseason

Cheez Whiz
02-22-2009, 07:24 AM
So he hasn't worked for 5 years? and prior to NE, he worked for Cardinals and Browns.

I don't like him already

Fan in Exile
02-22-2009, 07:49 AM
So he hasn't worked for 5 years? and prior to NE, he worked for Cardinals and Browns.

I don't like him already

He's been working for Scouts Inc. for five years, that's not the same as not working. Although that really doesn't make me like him too much. I wonder what the story is about his job changes because they don't look like promotions.

fcspikeit
02-22-2009, 07:52 AM
I guess it goes to show, some of the guys working for those scouting sites might actually know more then we give them credit for..

I wounder if Mike Mayock would have taken the job? :laugh:

fcspikeit
02-22-2009, 07:55 AM
He's been working for Scouts Inc. for five years, that's not the same as not working. Although that really doesn't make me like him too much. I wonder what the story is about his job changes because they don't look like promotions.

He was probably a casualty of one of the many coaching changes in Cleavland and Arizona...

Still, I don't remember those teams ever really having a good draft :tsk:

Fan in Exile
02-22-2009, 08:07 AM
2005 is when Cleveland brought in Romeo.

Here's a link to everyone he helped draft for the Cleveland Browns. There's some hope there but I wouldn't say too much. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_query.cgi?pos=ALL&round_1=1&round_2=30&tm=cle&year_1=1999&year_2=2001&conference=any&type=

atwater27
02-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Great. We brought in a guy who's major contributions came with colossal failed franchises.

OMorange&blue
02-22-2009, 09:32 AM
At NE 6 of 24 draft picks start in the NFL.

2004 - New England Patriots
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 21 Vince Wilfork NT Miami (Fla.)
1 32 Benjamin Watson TE Georgia
2 63 Marquise Hill DE Louisiana State
3 95 Guss Scott SAF Florida
4 113 Dexter Reid SAF North Carolina
4 128 Cedric Cobbs RB Arkansas
5 164 P.K. Sam WR Florida State
7 233 Christian Morton CB Illinois
2003 - New England Patriots
1 13 Ty Warren DE Texas A&M
2 36 Eugene Wilson FS Illinois
2 45 Bethel Johnson WR Texas A&M
4 117 Dan Klecko DT Temple
4 120 Asante Samuel CB Central Florida
5 164 Dan Koppen C Boston College
6 201 Kliff Kingsbury QB Texas Tech
7 234 Spencer Nead TE Brigham Young
7 239 Tully Banta-Cain LB California
7 243 Ethan Kelley NT Baylor
2002 - New England Patriots
1 21 Daniel Graham TE Colorado
2 65 Deion Branch WR Louisville
4 117 Rohan Davey QB Louisiana State
4 126 Jarvis Green DE Louisiana State
7 237 Antwoine Womack RB Virginia
7 253 David Givens WR Notre Dame

OMorange&blue
02-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Cleveland is even worse. I wont even bother posting it.

TXBRONC
02-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Great. We brought in a guy who's major contributions came with colossal failed franchises.

I don't know if failures of those franchise can be laid at his feet. The Cardinals did draft some very talented players in those years, but Bidwell being the skin flint that he is never wanted to keep his top players around.

nevcraw
02-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Dave (Denver): Kidder - What is your opinion of Josh McDaniels as the new man in Denver? Add to that his choices on his staff?

Keith Kidd: Josh McDaniels is one of the best young coaches in the NFL. He's a special coach. This guy gets it. He gets it from all different aspects of the coaching staff and football operations. He had a great teacher in Bill Belichick. It will be interesting to watch how he implements his system going forward. He's got a darn good defensive coach in Mike nolan.
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=24962

broncosinindy
02-22-2009, 10:37 AM
As long as he is good as the goodmans i'm happy.

Remember folks that their will be a collective aggreement on players signed.

I really do hope this guy is good because if we are going the way of the patriots we are going to be relying heavily on our drafts.

Northman
02-22-2009, 10:39 AM
As long as he is good as the goodmans i'm happy.

Remember folks that their will be a collective aggreement on players signed.

I really do hope this guy is good because if we are going the way of the patriots we are going to be relying heavily on our drafts.

We can only hope it goes down like that. If not, get ready for even more mediocrity.

Lonestar
02-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Remember folks it takes 3 or 6 to tango into making draft choices work in the NFL..

The scout needs to get them the RAW data..
assistant coaches need to evaluate it..
coordinators need to prioritize the choices..
HC and GM have to make the decision.
owner needs to decide if they want to pay them.
assistant coaches need to teach them..
schemes need to be workable..
Players need to be worth a crap..
must have other players around them worth a crap.

it is not just the player failing can be the whole system or part of it..

Northman
02-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Well, he was brought in to fix it so we shall see.

xzn
02-22-2009, 05:32 PM
He was hired as the Director of PRO scouting. That has nothing to do with draft picks. He will evaluate and rate Free Agents and players who could be traded for or acquired off of waivers....

Cugel
02-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Cleveland is even worse. I wont even bother posting it.

Well, I will: :coffee:

2001 Round 1, Pick #3: DT Gerrard Warren
2000 Round 1, Pick #1: DE Courtney Brown
1999 Round 1, Pick #1: QB Tim Couch

If there was a worse trifecta of top 3 picks in consecutive years than THAT I'd hate to hear it! :tsk:

That's not just bad, it's probably the worst consecutive drafting in league history. The Browns had top 3 picks three years in a row and got absolutely NOTHING out of them.

That's hard to do. Usually, the top 5 picks are consensus and while a QB might be a bust, it's almost impossible to have THREE totally useless top 5 picks!

We all know about Warren & Brown, the under-achieving, low-impact, oft-injured Browncos, but you may have forgotten what a colossal waste Tim Couch was. He only lasted 3 seasons with the Browns before he was thrown out as a massive and total bust.

I sure hope this guy has learned something from these mistakes because they were absolutely mammoth, even worse than drafting Ryan Leaf (leaf was only the #2 pick, and he was only ONE pick, not three consecutive years in a row!). :shocked:

NO, I'm not blaming him directly. For all we know he could have pointed out that Courtney Brown had a degenerative knee condition in both knees, that Gerrard Warren had a questionable work ethic, and that Tim Couch was just questionable and been overridden by the Browns GM.

But, it's not encouraging to see a scouting guy from such a failed organization as the Browns!

xzn
02-22-2009, 07:24 PM
He is the Director of PRO Scouting.

All this draft talk is meaningless for his job description...

If there was a worse trifecta of top 3 picks in consecutive years than THAT I'd hate to hear it! :tsk:

That's not just bad, it's probably the worst consecutive drafting in league history. The Browns had top 3 picks three years in a row and got absolutely NOTHING out of them.

That's hard to do. Usually, the top 5 picks are consensus and while a QB might be a bust, it's almost impossible to have THREE totally useless top 5 picks!

We all know about Warren & Brown, the under-achieving, low-impact, oft-injured Browncos, but you may have forgotten what a colossal waste Tim Couch was. He only lasted 3 seasons with the Browns before he was thrown out as a massive and total bust.

I sure hope this guy has learned something from these mistakes because they were absolutely mammoth, even worse than drafting Ryan Leaf (leaf was only the #2 pick, and he was only ONE pick, not three consecutive years in a row!). :shocked:

slim
02-22-2009, 07:26 PM
He is the Director of PRO Scouting.

All this draft talk is meaningless for his job description...

Hopefully he can do better than shanny did in that area. I am pretty sure we lead the league if FA busts.

Lonestar
02-22-2009, 07:29 PM

NO, I'm not blaming him directly. For all we know he could have pointed out that Courtney Brown had a degenerative knee condition in both knees and been overridden by the Browns GM.

But, it's not encouraging to see a scouting guy from such a failed organization as the Browns!

Do you think it was him that made those picks all I'm sure he did was bring them the data to analyze made a recommendation and who knows IF they listened to him..

Brown was a load and was worth the pick who could know he was going to be in Mash unit to so his career.. I'd have love to have Warren last year over the trash we had..

I think any real criticism should be limited to "I sure hope this guy has learned something from these"

EMB6903
02-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Hopefully he can do better than shanny did in that area. I am pretty sure we lead the league if FA busts.

Oakland Raiders?

Lonestar
02-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Oakland Raiders?

Good point, but al is/was senile also..

broncosinindy
02-23-2009, 04:10 AM

NO, I'm not blaming him directly. For all we know he could have pointed out that Courtney Brown had a degenerative knee condition in both knees, that Gerrard Warren had a questionable work ethic, and that Tim Couch was just questionable and been overridden by the Browns GM.

He was the Director OF PRO SCOUTING IN CLEVELAND so you cannot balme him for any of those pics cugel.

Fan in Exile
02-23-2009, 03:38 PM
He was the Director OF PRO SCOUTING IN CLEVELAND so you cannot balme him for any of those pics cugel.

So I went to The Browns Board to find out who he brought in. They pointed out two things. The first that the whole situation was so screwed up that you can't take anything really from his time there.

The second is that he brought in Percy Ellsworth to Cleveland. And O.J. Santiago. And maybe Scott Rehberg.

These guys aren't total busts but they don't really live up to what you want to bring in either.

Poet
02-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Cleveland's issue has never been talent. They have plenty of talent, and even when they were amonst the league's worst they had that talent. It comes down to the simple fact that Cleveland never builds a real TEAM.

Their offense is a collection of stud players, not a stud offense. Kellen Winslow is probably the most underrated tight end in football. Braylon Edwards is a huge talent, an elite talent even. He just is a whiner, has bad hands, and is mentally weak.

But when you just grab a guard (Steinbach) from free agency, grab your RB from free agency (Jamal Lewis), grab your lesser wideouts from free agency (Stallworth and Joe Juervicious) and then draft Edwards and Winslow (and to be fair to Winslow, he could have screwed Cleveland by not restructuring his contract and forced them to cut him but he did not) you don't have a team.

You have a collection of star players.

Their drafts have not been all that bad IMO. I would be cautiously optimistic.

TXBRONC
02-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Cleveland's issue has never been talent. They have plenty of talent, and even when they were amonst the league's worst they had that talent. It comes down to the simple fact that Cleveland never builds a real TEAM.

Their offense is a collection of stud players, not a stud offense. Kellen Winslow is probably the most underrated tight end in football. Braylon Edwards is a huge talent, an elite talent even. He just is a whiner, has bad hands, and is mentally weak.

But when you just grab a guard (Steinbach) from free agency, grab your RB from free agency (Jamal Lewis), grab your lesser wideouts from free agency (Stallworth and Joe Juervicious) and then draft Edwards and Winslow (and to be fair to Winslow, he could have screwed Cleveland by not restructuring his contract and forced them to cut him but he did not) you don't have a team.

You have a collection of star players.

Their drafts have not been all that bad IMO. I would be cautiously optimistic.

Cleveland should be optimistic or we should because Kidd was hired?

Poet
02-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Cleveland should be optimistic or we should because Kidd was hired?

Both?:confused:

You guys. :salute:

From what I have heard, scouts inc is pretty good. I don't think he was that bad in Cleveland. JMO.

Lonestar
02-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Both?:confused:

You guys. :salute:

From what I have heard, scouts inc is pretty good. I don't think he was that bad in Cleveland. JMO.

from what I have seen in CLE and CIN it is more coaching and owners than Players..

Poet
02-23-2009, 04:37 PM
from what I have seen in CLE and CIN it is more coaching and owners than Players..

Yes sir.

Superchop 7
02-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Yeah, he is WAY better than the Goodmans.

This is laughable.