PDA

View Full Version : Broncos know they'll be forced to pass vs. Steelers

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2012, 12:51 PM
With their postseason game closing in, the Broncos get the point.

They get that a struggling offense and its young quarterback must find a way to push the ball over the goal line more often than they've done much of the past two months.

And that if Plan A doesn't get them those points against the Steelers' No. 1-rated defense, there has to be some sort of Plan B. It's just that no one is quite sure what it is.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19685494

NightTrainLayne
01-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks for posting Carol.

Is it just me, or have virtually all the articles written about the Broncos for the last week been kind of "Duh!" with the information.

rjent
01-06-2012, 01:24 PM
I found this interesting as a side to the article:

The Steelers are hurting. QB Ben Roethlisberger has a bad ankle, safety Ryan Clark is out because of a blood condition and a knee injury ended RB Rashard Mendenhall's season. Do those injuries open the door for a Broncos' upset in Sunday's playoff game?
Total Votes = 5428
Yes. The Steelers are vulnerable and ready to be knocked off.
56.22 %
No. The Steelers, especially on defense, will simply be too much for the Broncos to overcome.
43.77 %

:coffee:

TimHippo
01-06-2012, 01:29 PM
If the Steelers are #1 vs the Pass and #8 vs the Run it would seem like it's better to run against them since their defense seems geared to the pass.

Passing against the #1 pass defense as a game plan doesn't sound like a good idea.

jlarsiii
01-06-2012, 01:54 PM
I found this interesting as a side to the article:

The Steelers are hurting. QB Ben Roethlisberger has a bad ankle, safety Ryan Clark is out because of a blood condition and a knee injury ended RB Rashard Mendenhall's season. Do those injuries open the door for a Broncos' upset in Sunday's playoff game?
Total Votes = 5428
Yes. The Steelers are vulnerable and ready to be knocked off.
56.22 %
No. The Steelers, especially on defense, will simply be too much for the Broncos to overcome.
43.77 %

:coffee:

That is interesting. I, like all Bronco fans, want to see us win this weekend. However, if the injuries were all on the Steelers defensive side of the ball that would give me more confidence.

Their defense is always stout, and even with the injuries I expect their offense to put points on the board. Still, I hope for a close game and a victory at the end. Just not sure how much hope I have for that though...

Day1BroncoFan
01-06-2012, 01:57 PM
I think we'll be forced to run too. jmho

rjent
01-06-2012, 01:58 PM
That is interesting. I, like all Bronco fans, want to see us win this weekend. However, if the injuries were all on the Steelers defensive side of the ball that would give me more confidence.

Their defense is always stout, and even with the injuries I expect their offense to put points on the board. Still, I hope for a close game and a victory at the end. Just not sure how much hope I have for that though...

If Big Ben is truly even slightly hobbled, we may have a change at creating some turnovers. If they leave more of a line in place to help him, they may give Champ or Goodman a much greater edge.

The defense will probably win this game for us ....

I am hopeful ... :D

jlarsiii
01-06-2012, 02:02 PM
If Big Ben is truly even slightly hobbled, we may have a change at creating some turnovers. If they leave more of a line in place to help him, they may give Champ or Goodman a much greater edge.

The defense will probably win this game for us ....

I am hopeful ... :D

Seems like a really big IF to me. Our Defense, which hasn't been creating turnovers for a month now, is suddenly going to light up a veteran QB with numerous post-season victories and make him turnover prone.

Right now I am not buying that at all.

Edit: Because of their reliance on their defense I feel like Pitt will just throw the ball away as they probably feel that our offense isn't going to post a lot of points against them.

rcsodak
01-06-2012, 02:06 PM
They could play their 3rd string qb/rb and win going away.

Unless, of course, the kc/buff defenses are better than pitt's.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rjent
01-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Seems like a really big IF to me. Our Defense, which hasn't been creating turnovers for a month now, is suddenly going to light up a veteran QB with numerous post-season victories and make him turnover prone.

Edit: Because of their reliance on their defense I feel like Pitt will just throw the ball away as they probably feel that our offense isn't going to post a lot of points against them.

I agree, but the only fly in the ointment is Ben being slowed/weakened. I am hoping it is enough for us to get to him ...

slim
01-06-2012, 02:13 PM

The rapist has played like shit since he injured his ankle. It's not really a stretch to think his poor play will continue.

rcsodak
01-06-2012, 02:36 PM
The rapist has played like shit since he injured his ankle. It's not really a stretch to think his poor play will continue.

Why would he worry? Den's _efense hasnt stopped any rb's lately. And redmon is a 1cut, downhill runner. I'm not so sure he doesnt pose more problems that Mendy would have.

Joel
01-06-2012, 08:42 PM
They could play their 3rd string qb/rb and win going away.

Unless, of course, the kc/buff defenses are better than pitt's.
Obviously, no one's statistically better than the #1 passing D. However, KC is 6th (putting BOTH KC games in perspective) and the Jets 5th, but we passed on both earlier this year. Of course, that was earlier this year.... :tsk:
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2011&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

bcbronc
01-06-2012, 09:47 PM
Obviously, no one's statistically better than the #1 passing D. However, KC is 6th (putting BOTH KC games in perspective) and the Jets 5th, but we passed on both earlier this year. Of course, that was earlier this year.... :tsk:
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2011&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

when did we pass on KC? Or NYJ for that matter? If that's what we're hanging our hat on, we're ******.

The one thing we have going for us in this match up is that Pitt didn't get a lot of picks this season. It's not a secondary that will make Tebow pay every time he makes a mistake, so hopefully he can capitalize on a second chance or two. Can't be reckless, can't be scared.

Joel
01-06-2012, 10:57 PM
when did we pass on KC? Or NYJ for that matter? If that's what we're hanging our hat on, we're ******.
In the 4th quarter; when did you think? C'mon, this is the Denver Broncos. :tongue: In all seriousness, we did pass a fair amount on the last drive against the Jets (including a sideline pass on 1st down at our own 5.)

The one thing we have going for us in this match up is that Pitt didn't get a lot of picks this season. It's not a secondary that will make Tebow pay every time he makes a mistake, so hopefully he can capitalize on a second chance or two. Can't be reckless, can't be scared.
The key phrase is "this season." Pitts secondary isn't bad; Ike Taylor vs. Decker/Thomas is a matchup favoring them. We need guys like Fells, Willis and Rosario to step up, though if Tebows hitting Decker and Thomas he should keep doing that.

The main thing we need to do is throw more on 1st and 2nd down when they're loading the box against the run; if we wait until 3rd and long and/or we're trailing in the 4th, that's trouble.

rcsodak
01-06-2012, 11:51 PM
In the 4th quarter; when did you think? C'mon, this is the Denver Broncos. :tongue: In all seriousness, we did pass a fair amount on the last drive against the Jets (including a sideline pass on 1st down at our own 5.)

The key phrase is "this season." Pitts secondary isn't bad; Ike Taylor vs. Decker/Thomas is a matchup favoring them. We need guys like Fells, Willis and Rosario to step up, though if Tebows hitting Decker and Thomas he should keep doing that.

The main thing we need to do is throw more on 1st and 2nd down when they're loading the box against the run; if we wait until 3rd and long and/or we're trailing in the 4th, that's trouble.

You did see the stats on 1st/2nd down passing that Mo showed, yes:

That dog dont hunt no mo'.

Joel
01-07-2012, 12:04 AM
You did see the stats on 1st/2nd down passing that Mo showed, yes:

That dog dont hunt no mo'.
Still better than third and long, when even aboriginal rain forest tribesmen look at each other and say, "I don't know what a Tim Tebow, a Denver Bronco or even a football is, but I think the Broncos are about to pass."

In another thread a few days ago bc mentioned something about how the chess match is what makes football so great, and I quite agree. Show Garry Kasparov your first 20 moves before the game and see if you're not in Scholars Mate before making 5 of them. Playing run, run, pass, punt against Dick LeBeaus Steelers is very close to that.

red98
01-07-2012, 12:49 AM
Still better than third and long, when even aboriginal rain forest tribesmen look at each other and say, "I don't know what a Tim Tebow, a Denver Bronco or even a football is, but I think the Broncos are about to pass."

In another thread a few days ago bc mentioned something about how the chess match is what makes football so great, and I quite agree. Show Garry Kasparov your first 20 moves before the game and see if you're not in Scholars Mate before making 5 of them. Playing run, run, pass, punt against Dick LeBeaus Steelers is very close to that.

Extra high five for use of "scholars mate".

MOtorboat
01-07-2012, 12:58 AM

Passing on first and second down is more likely to cause third down and long than running. That's why McCoy runs the football.

Joel
01-07-2012, 01:15 AM
Passing on first and second down is more likely to cause third down and long than running. That's why McCoy runs the football.
At this point, I'm not so sure, not as much as teams stack the box expecting our runs. What IS sure is that it's more likely to cause TDs and first downs than running is. Mix it up; how 'bout a delay draw on 3rd and 7?

nevcraw
01-07-2012, 06:25 AM
I am sure McCoy looking for HC position is going to try some other stuff..running up the gut with mega yards is like Orton's inflated passing stats.. Unless points are scored the yards mean nothing..