PDA

View Full Version : Ask Questions and Request Clarification Regarding the Posting Rules and Guidelines

Tned
02-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Please post in this thread any questions or clarification you may need regarding the revised posting rules and guidelines that went into effect on Feb 21st 2009.

When replying, please indicate if your question pertains to the Rules or Guidelines section, and post the corresponding number.

atwater27
06-17-2010, 08:42 AM
2. No Flaming, baiting or harassing. Regardless of whether you like a poster or a point being made, do not resort to flaming and harassing that poster. Don’t post “flame-bait”. That is a post just to irritate members or designed to get a reaction from another poster. This type of posting behavior will be dealt with in much the same manner as personal attacks.

Need some clarification here....
For example..."No argument's huh? Lewik? BG7? "

This was posted to specifically ask people to respond to a thread. It was not posted in a threatening, flaming, or harassing manner. It was a simple and direct request for an opinion. How is this baiting? And if a request for an opinion is baiting, what is the point of even having a board to talk about things? Should the rule be clarified to prevent posters from getting "stern warnings" from mods in PM's, or changed in the spirit of common sense?

Tned
06-17-2010, 08:57 AM
There are few rules that are more open to interpretation than baiting. We currently have a massive rash of baiting going on Broncos Talk that the mods are trying to deal with.

In most cases, the mods are going to take a statement and attempt to reconcile it with past behavior between the parties, to try and determine whether it was a joke, serious question or baiting/flaming. If a poster is continuously posting in a contentious manner towards other posters, it is more likely that a post, especially one that specifically mentions other posters, will be seen as trying to get a rise out of them. When there isn't that history, it is harder, and like pass interference, there is an aspect of 'judgment call' to this, which is one of the reasons that discussions typically take place among the mods, even before a PM is sent to someone.

Unfortunately, it's not an exact science, and my personal opinion is that any attempt to further refine the rule, will create more problems, not less. As with any rule, or any aspect of how BF is run, it is something that can be discussed and if it is clear that the community at large wants a change, it will be implemented.

atwater27
06-17-2010, 09:00 AM
Well, no way that I represent the community at large, so I'll take that as a 'shut up and stop baiting people AT27!'

Tned
06-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Well, no way that I represent the community at large, so I'll take that as a 'shut up and stop baiting people AT27!'

Not at all (well, yea on the stop baiting ;)), but I'm just saying it is a discussion that can be had. If you want, we can open up a discussion in the main Town Hall forum and see what kind of feedback we get.

atwater27
06-17-2010, 09:09 AM
Not at all (well, yea on the stop baiting ;)), but I'm just saying it is a discussion that can be had. If you want, we can open up a tiscussion in the main Town Hall forum and see what kind of feedback we get.

Naaa, not worth it. Just a question. I have been on the wildly unpopular side of the town hall once or twice. I'll save everyone the annoyance.

gnomeflinger
06-17-2010, 01:00 PM
2. No Flaming, baiting or harassing. Regardless of whether you like a poster or a point being made, do not resort to flaming and harassing that poster. Don’t post “flame-bait”. That is a post just to irritate members or designed to get a reaction from another poster. This type of posting behavior will be dealt with in much the same manner as personal attacks.

Need some clarification here....
For example..."No argument's huh? Lewik? BG7? "

This was posted to specifically ask people to respond to a thread. It was not posted in a threatening, flaming, or harassing manner. It was a simple and direct request for an opinion. How is this baiting? And if a request for an opinion is baiting, what is the point of even having a board to talk about things? Should the rule be clarified to prevent posters from getting "stern warnings" from mods in PM's, or changed in the spirit of common sense?

I see that as a bait not just for conversation, just so the poster can jump on them based on what they reply to that. A direct request for an opinion would more likely read, "Thoughts? Opinions? BG7, anyone?"

Baiting is begging the other party to disagree so "you" (general you, not specific you) can throw stuff back at them, "proving" that "you" were right, and denigrating them to lower than dirt status. No one likes a bully.

Often times, if the comment is questionable, the mod will PM the person to whom it's intended and ask if they were offended by it.

NightTrainLayne
06-17-2010, 02:37 PM
I removed a few posts in here that were definitely off-topic for a Town Hall thread. Let's keep it on topic please. :salute:

slim
06-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Nice work, NTL.

I think you are doing a great job as a moderator, despite what buff says.

Dreadnought
06-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Nice work, NTL.

I think you are doing a great job as a moderator, despite what buff says.

Part of Buff's oddball appeal is that he has never yet been right about a single thing. Not even once. It makes him almost lovable in an odd non-homosexual way.

In another life has gotten a bit of a taste of what life with no rules and standards can be like on the interwebz lately, i.e. how there is no such thing as a set of rules so relaxed and chill that some jerk won't go and break them all out of pure cussedness or God knows what other motivation.

That is part of a more general problem, in that we do try to keep adjusting the "line which must not be crossed" to meet some kind of unscientific community consensus - to the point of maintaining different standards in different areas of this board (5 different ones by my count - General, P&R, Lounge/Opt In, Smack, and Town Hall.) I don't think there are all that many who don't want any such lines at all (maybe Buff, but again, he is always wrong) so we are permanently stuck trying to draw them.

gnomeflinger
06-17-2010, 06:10 PM
It's like those cartoons where the kids wish for no parents. They get their wish, then after a few days of doing whatever they want, they miss them.

Dreadnought
06-17-2010, 06:18 PM
It's like those cartoons where the kids wish for no parents. They get their wish, then after a few days of doing whatever they want, they miss them.

Except everyone here is supposed to be growed up. Nobody should need diaper changing. Maybe King87, but nobody else, and anyways if thats what he needs you can have that job

gnomeflinger
06-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Except everyone here is supposed to be growed up. Nobody should need diaper changing. Maybe King87, but nobody else, and anyways if thats what he needs you can have that job

Hell no. That's way below my pay grade, and I'm not even a moderator.

NightTrainLayne
06-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Part of Buff's oddball appeal is that he has never yet been right about a single thing. Not even once. It makes him almost lovable in an odd non-homosexual way.

In another life has gotten a bit of a taste of what life with no rules and standards can be like on the interwebz lately, i.e. how there is no such thing as a set of rules so relaxed and chill that some jerk won't go and break them all out of pure cussedness or God knows what other motivation.

That is part of a more general problem, in that we do try to keep adjusting the "line which must not be crossed" to meet some kind of unscientific community consensus - to the point of maintaining different standards in different areas of this board (5 different ones by my count - General, P&R, Lounge/Opt In, Smack, and Town Hall.) I don't think there are all that many who don't want any such lines at all (maybe Buff, but again, he is always wrong) so we are permanently stuck trying to draw them.

Buff has been right about a few things. I've seen the pictures to prove it.

Dreadnought
06-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Buff has been right about a few things. I've seen the pictures to prove it.

A lot of things are possible I guess. Platypuses are possible. I'd need a lot of convincing.

OTOH, Buff is right about his choice of football teams, so that's something right there. I stand corrected

Poet
07-13-2010, 03:39 AM

You crap your pants at a buffet one time and you never live it down. :tsk:

Baiting is a rule that is so hard to enforce that it may as well not exist. I've intentionally baited people before, but done it in a way that is pretty hard to 'prove'. You have to have it on the 'books' so people can't be blatant with it, but it's a headache for every moderator.

Dapper Dan
02-10-2012, 02:56 PM
The general forum is full of draft/free agency threads. Why?

Dapper Dan
06-17-2013, 09:26 AM
The general forum is full of draft/free agency threads. Why?

bCuz ppl r gHey!

Dapper Dan
06-17-2013, 09:27 AM
bCuz ppl r gHey!

Thanks, self.

Tned
06-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Sorry, didn't see this popup last year.

slim
06-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Are we allowed to troll the mods?

Dreadnought
06-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Are we allowed to troll the mods?

I'd put up with almost anything from you, my friend, but as everybody else absolutely hates you I do suggest caution

Dapper Dan
06-17-2013, 02:42 PM
Sorry, didn't see this popup last year.

I've been waiting with anticipation. :tsk:

slim
06-17-2013, 04:00 PM
I've been waiting with anticipation. :tsk:

Don't feel bad. It's just that no one reads your posts.

Dapper Dan
06-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Don't feel bad. It's just that no one reads your posts.

Obviously you did. And that's all that matters.

atwater27
04-30-2016, 07:17 AM
Is there a thread for figuring out who changed their name/avy and who they used to be?

Pudge
04-30-2016, 10:40 AM
Is there a thread for figuring out who changed their name/avy and who they used to be?

My name hasn't changed. Nice to see you again.

Dave Aitken is Valar Morghulis
King is von Kinger

I don't know who else has changed.

Poet
04-30-2016, 11:15 AM
My name hasn't changed. Nice to see you again.

Dave Aitken is Valar Morghulis
King is von Kinger

I don't know who else has changed.

I've always been Von Kinger.

Valar Morghulis
04-30-2016, 11:28 AM
Dave Aitken is Valar Morghulis.

Not for long!

Just tried to change out to passion old Dave..... But someone had that, so back to the drawing board

Poet
04-30-2016, 11:29 AM
Not for long!

Just tried to change out to passion old Dave..... But someone had that, so back to the drawing board

Do 'Dave old Passion'.

Tned
04-30-2016, 11:44 AM

No, I post a notice in the moderator area to let mods know when a name has changed, but beyond that, no.

Valar Morghulis
04-30-2016, 12:35 PM
Do 'Dave old Passion'.

lol that was autocorrect - plain old dave is what it should have said

FanInAZ
04-30-2016, 02:42 PM
King is von Kinger

I've always been Von Kinger.

King is now Traveler

Poet
04-30-2016, 10:42 PM
King is now Traveler

I am now Von the traveling King.

BroncoWave
05-01-2016, 07:10 AM

I'm your old friend BTB! :D

Welcome back, buddy!

Dapper Dan
05-01-2016, 07:29 AM
And I became a female just to piss off Tned and use the women's room.

Tned
05-01-2016, 02:41 PM
And I became a female just to piss off Tned and use the women's room.

Be careful or I'll permaban you for disagreeing with me on standings vs squatting.

Dapper Dan
05-01-2016, 08:22 PM
Be careful or I'll permaban you for disagreeing with me on standings vs squatting.

At your age I'm guessing you always squat.

Tned
05-01-2016, 09:50 PM
At your age I'm guessing you always squat.

Careful, I'll sick my mods on you like a rabid Bolton *******.

Dapper Dan
05-01-2016, 10:33 PM
Careful, I'll sick my mods on you like a rabid Bolton *******.

Are they legit? Like do they have matching shirts that say "Mod Squad"?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-02-2016, 12:43 AM
Are they legit? Like do they have matching shirts that say "Mod Squad"?

I think they say Manudo. :D