PDA

View Full Version : The Broncos WILL Be Agressive In Free Agency

TXBRONC
02-20-2009, 05:09 PM
According to this article it sounds like Bowlen isn't going be afraid to open up his pocketbook. There are some other interesting tidbit you all might in enjoy as well.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11750252

Broncos will be aggressive in free agency
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 02/20/2009 02:54:50 PM MST
Updated: 02/20/2009 03:02:25 PM MST

INDIANAPOLIS — There are indications Broncos owner Pat Bowlen is going to give new head coach Josh McDaniels every chance to succeed.

Cut through the pep talks and pats on the back and there's really only one way an owner can help a coach — by opening his pocket book.

Nowhere is money more necessary than in the free-agent market. And come Feb. 27, when free agency begins, the Broncos will be aggressive.

"As aggressive as we need to be," McDaniels said today at his NFL scouting combine press conference. "We're interested in a lot of things. We have areas that we can improve on. We have, like every team does, needs and holes to fills. If there's a player out there that we feel is going to fill that, then we're going to be aggressive and pursue him."

Cash was an issue for the Broncos when they entered the free-agent market last offseason. Even with a sagging economy, there appears to be fewer cash restrictions this year.

"Just the salary cap," McDaniels said. "We're looking to bring in players that can help us. We do have cap room available so we'll see how it goes in the next few weeks."

After slashing nearly $30 million in cap dollars by releasing seven high-profile players last week, the Broncos are nearly $40 million below this season's salary cap figure of $123 million.

Among the team's needs: Up to eight defensive starters, a running back and possibly another receiver and kicker.

As for the defense, McDaniels publicly acknowledged for the first time what had been suspected all along.

"You're going to see some 3-4 from us," McDaniels said. "I'm not going to say we're going to be all 3-4, but it's going to be some combination thereof."

McDaniels also said he and quarterback Jay Cutler have become acquainted to the point their relationship is about the coach wanting to make the quarterback better and the quarterback willing to listen.

For Cutler, getting better means cutting down on mistakes.

"Quarterbacks, that's always the goal," McDaniels said. "Making good decisions. He's certainly made plenty of them. I don't think there's any quarterback that goes through a season that doesn't make some mistakes."

McDaniels also said one of his early challenges as a first-time head coach was deciding was whether to institute yoga into his team's strength and conditioning program. The decision?

"I think it's a no," he said, smiling. "I said no."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

SmilinAssasSin27
02-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Spending is fine...just be smart about it.

TXBRONC
02-20-2009, 05:34 PM

Agreed.

broncobryce
02-20-2009, 05:37 PM
No yoga? I see bad things happening.........;)

TXBRONC
02-20-2009, 05:43 PM
No yoga? I see bad things happening.........;)

I would imagine that's because he didn't he could get away having his wife be team's yoga instructor. :D

oobehr
02-20-2009, 05:52 PM
What is with this guy and yoga?

Superchop 7
02-20-2009, 06:02 PM
They could sure as hell use a stretching instructor.

dogfish
02-20-2009, 06:05 PM
yea, yoga's for pansies! maintaining a tough guy image is more important than increasing flexibility as a preventitive measure, especially for a team that lost half a dozen players to groin injuries last year. . .

Den21vsBal19
02-21-2009, 07:25 AM
yea, yoga's for pansies! maintaining a tough guy image is more important than increasing flexibility as a preventitive measure, especially for a team that lost half a dozen players to groin injuries last year. . .
Personally, I think we should go the Herschel Walker route..................

Ballet ;)

BroncoJoe
02-21-2009, 09:47 AM
What is with this guy and yoga?

I think either his wife or his mother is a yoga instructor.

atwater27
02-21-2009, 10:22 AM

Jesus, you can stretch without paying a crunchy granola lesbian vegetarian big money to show people how to stand on their head while listening to Enya. And I salute our new coach for being 'manly' enough to understand this.

broncophan
02-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Bowlen has always let his coaches be agressive in free agency.

I think that has hurt the broncos more than it has helped them over the past 10 years or so......hopefully that will change now.:confused:

I wonder what starting qb's will be available???...:D

Northman
02-21-2009, 12:43 PM

Thats what im saying. I hope we dont put all our eggs in one basket. :tsk:

SR
02-21-2009, 12:55 PM
As long as we fill NEEDED holes and sign players that mesh well together, I'm all for it.

nevcraw
02-21-2009, 01:50 PM
with all of the Defensive needs I still think they will take the 08 dolphins aproach and get solid role players. nothing flashy, just solid "football" players..

Lonestar
02-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Personally, I think we should go the Herschel Walker route..................

Ballet ;)

ballet builds up the legs and especially ankles..

My daughter was in ballet for years and she is a hell of a Basketball and Volleyball players plays about 5 inches higher than her 5'9" height.. took second in high jump in state as a senior.. It was mostly those damned Ballet lesson I paid for 8 years.. monster calf, and quads.. never had a ankle sprain except once when she came down on someone foot getting rebound and rolled the ankle..

talk about being flexible.. Yes I'd have yoga and ballet as part of the off season routine..

broncohead
02-21-2009, 03:18 PM
ballet builds up the legs and especially ankles..

My daughter was in ballet for years and she is a hell of a Basketball and Volleyball players plays about 5 inches higher than her 5'9" height.. took second in high jump in state as a senior.. It was mostly those damned Ballet lesson I paid for 8 years.. monster calf, and quads.. never had a ankle sprain except once when she came down on someone foot getting rebound and rolled the ankle..

talk about being flexible.. Yes I'd have yoga and ballet as part of the off season routine..

A lot of wrestlers on my team took ballet for balance and flexibility. The ones who did are now wrestling at Oregon State University and Boise State. I know it wasn't the only thing that got them there but when 4 go to big time colleges and they all did ballet it obviously helped.

Gimpygod
02-21-2009, 03:26 PM
I think we should start them on an amazing technique I just thought up: "prison yoga." In this discipline the players would have to hold on to their ankles and still be able to run under a 6.0 40 yard dash whilst simultaneously kicking a bar of soap past the finish line. And there is also a hot version of this yoga as in real life but devotees usually have to wear depends undergarments after becoming experts:eek:

I nominate Webster and Ramsey to volunteer for the program first.

Lonestar
02-21-2009, 03:28 PM
A lot of wrestlers on my team took ballet for balance and flexibility. The ones who did are now wrestling at Oregon State University and Boise State. I know it wasn't the only thing that got them there but when 4 go to big time colleges and they all did ballet it obviously helped.

I pissed and moaned about it for years what good is this doing and then in one VB game as a freshmen in HS, she when up and crushed the ball for a kill but came down wrong and did 2 pirouettes in front of the net without hitting it and at that moment I wrote another check for dance class..

Then she got a full ride to the college of MY choice to play VB.. that 6 grand I paid to dance classes has just turned into 120K.. best investment I ever made..

Like I said she players 4-5 inches taller because of her vertical jumping

BTW on top of the Silver in the High Jump she got another in Long Jump and three Golds in 300 hurdles, as anchor in the 4x100 and 4x400.. All because of her leg strength..

TXBRONC
02-21-2009, 03:31 PM
I think either his wife or his mother is a yoga instructor.

IIRC in one of the interviews he did yesterday he said his mother is a yoga instructor.

dogfish
02-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Jesus, you can stretch without paying a crunchy granola lesbian vegetarian big money to show people how to stand on their head while listening to Enya. And I salute our new coach for being 'manly' enough to understand this.

:rolleyes:

sterotype much?

“That’s a whole other workout itself," said Hines Ward. "A lot of guys didn’t know much about yoga. You always hear about it. It is a workout itself. It’s as tiring as lifting weights and running. In the game we play that’s a necessity we need. You are stretching muscles you never knew you had. That’s good to be able to be flexible like that.”

“It’s a necessity, I want to do it," said Ward of taking part in yoga. "I’m going to have fun doing it, though. It hurts like crap doing it, but in the long run it’s going to help all of us out better, especially with injuries and as the season goes on your body gets fatigued. If you are doing yoga twice a week it will help you out.

"With the position I play I do a lot of running and stuff with my legs. This helps your legs recover faster and gives you more flexibility. It helps you work muscles, your groin muscles, hamstring and quads. I go home and sit and watch TV and do yoga. A lot of people sit on the couch and watch TV or lay in bed. I am doing some of the yoga poses while watching TV and it helps me come in the next day fresh. You want recovery time.”

"It’s a good thing," said Ward. "It’s good for anybody. I would recommend it for a lot of people. It gets frustrating at times. We are working moves we can’t usually do. It’s frustrating when you can’t do something. They work on our weak spots. That’s how you get better. You work on stuff you’re not as good at. You are going to get better all-around. That’s what yoga does.”

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8342

hines ward, what a nancy boy! :lol: i mean, it would be different if he had a reputation as probably the toughest, nastiest guy in the league at his position to go along with his two super bowl rings. . . he's just a little pansy that doesn't know the first thing about physical play-- he probably meditates to the sounds of the whales in the locker room, what a kook. . .

oh look, the giants have been doing yoga since 2001!

http://www.yoga-spa.com/press_nytnfl.html

but they're just a bunch of losers-- i bet they all wear pink spandex while they're doing it. . . .

"I've always encouraged that type of thing, whether it be martial arts training, flexibility, nutrition to supplement the training program," Belichick said.

http://archive.southcoasttoday.com/daily/06-00/06-03-00/c03sp109.htm

ahh, what the hell does belichick know about hardnosed football?

here's another sissy team for ya. . .

The Titans usually do some yoga once every week or two to stretch out muscles, especially during training camp

http://www.yogaharmonyblog.com/20080812/nfl-football-and-yoga/

the titans! those guys are such big homos the league should make 'em wear skirts. . .

On power yoga teacher Mark Blanchard’s website, Cincinnati Bengals player TJ Houshmandzadeh describes his yoga practice, “It’s like lifting weights and stretching at the same time.”

http://layogamagazine.com/content/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=194&Itemid=33

go drown yourself in patchuli you little girl! the NFL will never have a place for hippies like you. . . .

atwater27
02-21-2009, 03:41 PM
It was a ******* joke. Lighten up. And for the record I own 3 Enya albums.

And I will bet you a good percentage of yoga instructors are lesbian vegetarians.

dogfish
02-21-2009, 03:47 PM
It was a ******* joke. Lighten up. And for the record I own 3 Enya albums.

And I will bet you a good percentage of yoga instructors are lesbian vegetarians.

i don't care if they're voodoo practitioners that sacrifice live chickens behind the practice facility when they're through-- get 'em in here, we need all the help we can get!

:lol:

turftoad
02-21-2009, 04:10 PM
The Broncos are presumed to be in the market for a running back when free agency begins, but sources say the team won’t break the bank for one. Giants RB Derrick Ward has been mentioned as a potential target of the Broncos, but Denver’s coaching staff is still very high on Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis, each of whom is coming off an injury in his rookie year, so the club likely won’t feel the need to overpay for a free agent.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2009/wrapup021609.htm

dogfish
02-21-2009, 04:20 PM
The Broncos are presumed to be in the market for a running back when free agency begins, but sources say the team won’t break the bank for one. Giants RB Derrick Ward has been mentioned as a potential target of the Broncos, but Denver’s coaching staff is still very high on Ryan Torain and Peyton Hillis, each of whom is coming off an injury in his rookie year, so the club likely won’t feel the need to overpay for a free agent.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2009/wrapup021609.htm

blech!

spend that money on defensive free agents so we can draft a RB with fresh legs!

TXBRONC
02-21-2009, 04:22 PM
blech!

spend that money on defensive free agents so we can draft a RB with fresh legs!

I wouldn't be surprised by us drafting a running back. However, I would be a little surprised if it was early in the draft.

EMB6903
02-21-2009, 04:26 PM
I just hope we dont go after a RB in FA, these days I think thats the biggest waste of money

TXBRONC
02-21-2009, 04:52 PM
I just hope we dont go after a RB in FA, these days I think thats the biggest waste of money

I don't think Micheal Turner was to bad of pick up for the Falcons nevertheless if we're going to bring in a running back I would rather draft one.

broncophan
02-21-2009, 05:48 PM

Why do you say that??????

Travis Henry worked out just fine for us....................:D

TXBRONC
02-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Why do you say that??????

Travis Henry worked out just fine for us....................:D

:smack:

:D

fcspikeit
02-21-2009, 05:56 PM
I don't think Micheal Turner was to bad of pick up for the Falcons nevertheless if were going to bring in a running back I would rather draft one.

I agree, If Mckid feels the need for another back, I hope he drafts one. I hate the idea of spending a lot for one in FA while we let much more needed defensive guys slip away...

atwater27
02-21-2009, 09:09 PM
i don't care if they're voodoo practitioners that sacrifice live chickens behind the practice facility when they're through-- get 'em in here, we need all the help we can get!

:lol:

Something tells me you would like that instructor. Especially if she had tats.:cool:

BigAL56
02-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Something tells me you would like that instructor. Especially if she had tats.:cool:

My yoga instructor is really hot, and she can move her body in ways I've never seen. Take it for what you will, but that could come in handy for baby-making

fcspikeit
02-22-2009, 01:01 AM
My yoga instructor is really hot, and she can move her body in ways I've never seen. Take it for what you will, but that could come in handy for baby-making

My wife was doing Yoga for a while, her instructor was hot as hell! She was a hippie, but I always thought of her as a Gypsy.. There here all kinds of stories about her around town, I guess she was in to free love and all that. Her and my wife were good friends.. My wife tried to talk me into going, I thought about it but my better judgment got the best of me when I imagined what could happen while I was in class, with all sorts of wild ideas running through my mind. :drool:

WARHORSE
02-22-2009, 04:54 AM
:focus:

fcspikeit
02-22-2009, 07:17 AM
:eviltongue:

Will do :2thumbs:

Overtime
02-22-2009, 03:27 PM
I just hope we don't sign any more Dre Blys...we need aggressive corners!

dogfish
02-22-2009, 03:32 PM

hot yoga instructors >>>> big sweaty dudes

Superchop 7
02-23-2009, 11:26 PM
T.m.i.....

EMB6903
02-23-2009, 11:32 PM
I just hope we don't sign any more Dre Blys...we need aggressive corners!

dre bly was actually VERY aggressive as a cover corner., would always press and take chances..... but if you are talking about the run support I completely agree..... Dre ALWAYS got pushed back when they ran to his side... almost as if he wasnt even trying.

broncohead
02-23-2009, 11:32 PM
I agree, If Mckid feels the need for another back, I hope he drafts one. I hate the idea of spending a lot for one in FA while we let much more needed defensive guys slip away...

Usually when you sign a RB through FA and he is projected to start it's because he has proven it in the NFL. When a RB is drafted there is still that bust factor even though RB has a low bust rate.

weazel
02-23-2009, 11:35 PM
he can open his wallet all he wants, but there's still a cap.

EMB6903
02-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Usually when you sign a RB through FA and he is projected to start it's because he has proven it in the NFL. When a RB is drafted there is still that bust factor even though RB has a low bust rate.

ya but whats the average span for rb's 5-6 years? most are run down by 28 years old

a ton of Running backs legs run down very quick, thats the main reason I would stay away from a Running back in FA plus the fact a lot demand a high price tag (Which isnt worth it a solid RB seems like a dime a dozen these days)

remember for every Michael Turner you have a Lamont Jordan or Travis Henry

broncohead
02-23-2009, 11:51 PM
ya but whats the average span for rb's 5-6 years? most are run down by 28 years old

a ton of Running backs legs run down very quick, thats the main reason I would stay away from a Running back in FA plus the fact a lot demand a high price tag (Which isnt worth it a solid RB seems like a dime a dozen these days)

remember for every Michael Turner you have a Lamont Jordan or Travis Henry

There really isn't a point in drafting or signing a high priced RB this year anyway with Hillis and Torrain still needs to show what he can do. Though I would rather draft a starting RB then through FA but the same thing can be said for every position. It's cheaper for every position that way.

EMB6903
02-23-2009, 11:54 PM
There really isn't a point in drafting or signing a high priced RB this year anyway with Hillis and Torrain still needs to show what he can do. Though I would rather draft a starting RB then through FA but the same thing can be said for every position. It's cheaper for every position that way.

its cheaper for every position yes....but is it as much of a risk?

no way possible

broncohead
02-24-2009, 12:15 AM
its cheaper for every position yes....but is it as much of a risk?

no way possible

This year if we where looking for another starting RB I would look at Ward 1st for a couple reasons. He is proven and we can't afford to use the top two picks because of the defense. Most years it would be draft a guy with one of the top two picks but not this year.

EMB6903
02-24-2009, 12:23 AM
This year if we where looking for another starting RB I would look at Ward 1st for a couple reasons. He is proven and we can't afford to use the top two picks because of the defense. Most years it would be draft a guy with one of the top two picks but not this year.

I wouldnt call any back up proven.....look what happened with Lamont Jordan backing up Curtis Martin.

and Denver hasnt drafted a RB in the top two rounds since portis.... and before that I cant remember the last time

Fan in Exile
02-24-2009, 09:17 AM
I wouldnt call any back up proven.....look what happened with Lamont Jordan backing up Curtis Martin.

and Denver hasnt drafted a RB in the top two rounds since portis.... and before that I cant remember the last time

Ward is far more proven than anybody in the draft is there still room for a question sure, but he's less of a gamble than a mid to late round pick.

Or even a higher pick I mean how quickly have you forgotten Tatum Bell. He was our second round pick after all.

TXBRONC
02-24-2009, 09:25 AM
dre bly was actually VERY aggressive as a cover corner., would always press and take chances..... but if you are talking about the run support I completely agree..... Dre ALWAYS got pushed back when they ran to his side... almost as if he wasnt even trying.

No our corners were playing off the line of scrimage.

Cheez Whiz
02-24-2009, 09:47 AM
We need a lot!

We have released Dre Bly, John Engelberger, Niko Koutouvides, Marquand Manuel, Dewayne Robertson, Josh Shaw,and Jamie Winborn.

Nate Webster, Kenny Peterson, Karl Paymah, Marlon McCree, and Ebenezer are all set to become Unrestricted Free Agents.

Looks like we're in a hole and clawing to get out.

We need players and we need them bad. We don't even need top players. We need starters AND backups to fill the voids.

It will be fun to watch McDaniels reshape this team.

Traveler
02-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Why the big "woody" for Ward?

EMB6903
02-24-2009, 01:13 PM
No our corners were playing off the line of scrimage.

Champ did just like he usually always does but Dre played press more then he played off his man this year.... I didnt really see him play off in coverage that much at all this year, maybe a few times but other then that I dont remember

WARHORSE
02-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Why the big "woody" for Ward?

Ward is a very good back. Does it all.