PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Tebow says he'll be more aggressive

Denver Native (Carol)
01-04-2012, 05:13 PM
It's a careful line Tim Tebow​ must walk this week as the Broncos play their first playoff game in six years.

After back-to-back poor passing performances, Tebow understands he must make better throws, and that means being more aggressive. But, after six turnovers in the team's three-game losing streak, Tebow knows he also can't make mistakes.

"The more you get into tighter games, playoff games, you've got to be aggressive," Tebow said today in his weekly media session at Dove Valley. "You also have to be smart but you have to be aggressive and pull the trigger at times. That's something we'll have to do."

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19674147

Northman
01-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Well, we shall see but it looks like they had another talk with him about letting loose the Kraken.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Did not want to start another thread for this:

As the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback who has played in three Super Bowls and has also been involved in his share of embarrassing off-field incidents, Ben Roethlisberger is accustomed to dealing with the pros and cons of life in the public eye.

But even Big Ben seemed astounded by the constant attention — both good and bad — paid to Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow.

“It’s got to be tough,” Roethlisberger said during a conference call today with the Denver media. “Every time you turn it on, you see something about Tebow. I can only imagine what it’s like for his teammates. Just watching today, it’s the Steelers versus Tim Tebow. No, it’s the Steelers versus the Broncos, so I can only imagine what it’s like for him with all the eyes and the attention on him and the pressure. It can’t be fun. I feel for him a little bit.”

rest of article - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/01/04/big-ben-on-attention-paid-tebow-it-cant-be-fun/11589/

weazel
01-04-2012, 05:21 PM
more aggressive... so more than 6 picks? Yayyyy....

BigSarge87
01-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Ben if you want to feel Tim a little bit, you'll have to use twice the Rohipnol as usual. He's a big dude.

jhildebrand
01-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Ok...So I guess I have to be the one to say this.

If they want him to be more aggressive, and Elway wants him to "pull the trigger" then I think it should be said that the gameplan needs to be more aggressive and not once the game is out of hand or in a situation where the D can pin their ears back because they know a pass is coming!

Ravage!!!
01-04-2012, 05:34 PM

If they want him to be more aggressive, and Elway wants him to "pull the trigger" then I think it should be said that the gameplan needs to be more aggressive and not once the game is out of hand or in a situation where the D can pin their ears back because they know a pass is coming!

we were never more than 7 points behind in KC. Thats not a situation where the game was out of hand. Keeping within the gameplan against the chiefs was the smart thing to do.

The problem is, like in the Chiefs game, Tim doesn't want to throw to the tight windows. Thats probably because in practice, those get picked off and he knows his limitations. Its why the coaches try to keep him from throwing the ball a lot.

So being more aggressive isn't the answer with the playcalling, if the QB can't be more aggressive when its only a 7 point (and mostly 4 point) game.

SoCalImport
01-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Timmy needs to know where his checkdown will be. Recognise zones vs. Man (huge order against Pittsburgh) know where his TE/FB route will take him. hit em in stride if there's nothing open down field. ya know....football..

vandammage13
01-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Timmy needs to know where his checkdown will be. Recognise zones vs. Man (huge order against Pittsburgh) know where his TE/FB route will take him. hit em in stride if there's nothing open down field. ya know....football..

McCoy needs to give him a checkdown....Kind of hard to pass it to your RB or TE when they are busy with pass protection.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-04-2012, 05:41 PM

I posted the following in another thread, but will post it here also.

On Monday, a person called into Mike Evans and Joel Klatt, complaining about the play calling, and stated that the play calling hampered Tebow. Klatt's response to that was - no, Tebow hampered the play calling.

Also, after the game Sunday, Rod Mackey talked with Coach Fox, and ask why such a conservative game plan - i.e. - run, run, run, to which Coach responded - did you watch the game, that should be common sense - did you see our passing game.

Elevation inc
01-04-2012, 05:57 PM
good for Tebow, he knows whats up

Elevation inc
01-04-2012, 06:01 PM

On Monday, a person called into Mike Evans and Joel Klatt, complaining about the play calling, and stated that the play calling hampered Tebow. Klatt's response to that was - no, Tebow hampered the play calling.

Also, after the game Sunday, Rod Mackey talked with Coach Fox, and ask why such a conservative game plan - i.e. - run, run, run, to which Coach responded - did you watch the game, that should be common sense - did you see our passing game.

Klatt's actual response should have been no the offense's execution hampered the playcalling. There were 2 offensive players that did there jobs the right way last week.....mcghaee/Hochstein

its also more in line with foxs answer as he mentioned the passing game, not just tebow....guarentee he was referring to execution as well and not just the qb

dogfish
01-04-2012, 06:02 PM
be the honeybadger, tim, you can do eet!

NightTerror218
01-04-2012, 06:05 PM

That is crap, 12 straight running calls that get 4, 3 and outs hampers more then Tebow does.

G_Money
01-04-2012, 06:09 PM
When he sees the play, hit the play.

When no play is there, make a play.

That's his job, and that's the only way we win this game. That, and crushing Big Ben beneath our aggressive pass rush...which has been neutered for almost a month.

Funnily enough, that's the same amount of time that Von The Two-Handed Marauder has become Von The One-Handed Irritator, and that B-Dawk has been ineffective or inactive.

So my D better be just as aggressive (or let's say decisive) as Tebow wants to be.

It's a good recipe on both sides of the ball.

~G

jhildebrand
01-04-2012, 06:21 PM
we were never more than 7 points behind in KC. Thats not a situation where the game was out of hand. Keeping within the gameplan against the chiefs was the smart thing to do.

The problem is, like in the Chiefs game, Tim doesn't want to throw to the tight windows. Thats probably because in practice, those get picked off and he knows his limitations. Its why the coaches try to keep him from throwing the ball a lot.

So being more aggressive isn't the answer with the playcalling, if the QB can't be more aggressive when its only a 7 point (and mostly 4 point) game.

Fox was too scared to even kick a FG in that game. When the team did pass, it did so on 3rd and 8 with an empty backfield. Of course the D knows what is going to happen!

The M.O. of Fox and company has been to play it tight and keep it close until late. They have only opened the playbook in the 2nd half of games. The facts support that. Go look at the MN game. The Chicago game. The Buffalo and New England games. The last two were losses because too much was placed on the passing offense too late!

Furthermore, I can recall a 3rd and 1 (if it wasn't 1 yard it was short) and they ran a deep toss to JJ. If you think that is a good play call and playing to this team's strengths then you aren't paying attention. McGahee was running for 5 a clip against the Chiefs. Tebow is there to pick up the one yard.

Complaining about playcalling goes deeper than run vs pass, at least for me (which I have said many times!). I also consider formation, down and distance, previous plays. Play calling is legitimate concern for many. The Chiefs game could have easily been 9-7. But Fox hasn't taken the heat for that he deserves.

Again, this is a simpleton approach! I don't care much for Klatt and never have. I don't see how he is an authority on this at all especially if you know Klatt's stance on Tebow since day 1. Klatt is clearly bitter. I digress!

I agree that Tebow was terrible on Sunday. But that shouldn't mean you stop. Some running teams have a hard time getting the ground game going but they keep plugging away. Sometimes the Saints start slow, but you keep plugging away.

Finally, so because it wasn't working they stopped but why stop when it IS working. Tebow was 6 of 7 to start the Buffalo game. They stopped.

Against NE Tebow started out 5 for 6 and finished the 1st half 5 of 8. Against Buffalo he started out 3 of 4 and didn't throw another pass in the first half.

So I think my original point stands: It is fine and well to say they want Tebow to be more aggressive and pull the trigger but he can't if they don't do not allow it.

I also think it is a bit disingenuous on one hand to say we didn't pass because "did you see him out there" yet not give him more room in the games he was having some success.

GEM
01-04-2012, 06:27 PM
So Ben feels a little bad for Tebow, how does he feel about his rape victims? Turd burgler.

weazel
01-04-2012, 06:31 PM
McCoy needs to give him a checkdown....Kind of hard to pass it to your RB or TE when they are busy with pass protection.

right... blame all but tebow, tebow huggers unite!!!!!!

catfish
01-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Fox was too scared to even kick a FG in that game. When the team did pass, it did so on 3rd and 8 with an empty backfield. Of course the D knows what is going to happen!

The M.O. of Fox and company has been to play it tight and keep it close until late. They have only opened the playbook in the 2nd half of games. The facts support that. Go look at the MN game. The Chicago game. The Buffalo and New England games. The last two were losses because too much was placed on the passing offense too late!

Furthermore, I can recall a 3rd and 1 (if it wasn't 1 yard it was short) and they ran a deep toss to JJ. If you think that is a good play call and playing to this team's strengths then you aren't paying attention. McGahee was running for 5 a clip against the Chiefs. Tebow is there to pick up the one yard.

Complaining about playcalling goes deeper than run vs pass, at least for me (which I have said many times!). I also consider formation, down and distance, previous plays. Play calling is legitimate concern for many. The Chiefs game could have easily been 9-7. But Fox hasn't taken the heat for that he deserves.

Again, this is a simpleton approach! I don't care much for Klatt and never have. I don't see how he is an authority on this at all especially if you know Klatt's stance on Tebow since day 1. Klatt is clearly bitter. I digress!

I agree that Tebow was terrible on Sunday. But that shouldn't mean you stop. Some running teams have a hard time getting the ground game going but they keep plugging away. Sometimes the Saints start slow, but you keep plugging away.

Finally, so because it wasn't working they stopped but why stop when it IS working. Tebow was 6 of 7 to start the Buffalo game. They stopped.

Against NE Tebow started out 5 for 6 and finished the 1st half 5 of 8. Against Buffalo he started out 3 of 4 and didn't throw another pass in the first half.

So I think my original point stands: It is fine and well to say they want Tebow to be more aggressive and pull the trigger but he can't if they don't do not allow it.

I also think it is a bit disingenuous on one hand to say we didn't pass because "did you see him out there" yet not give him more room in the games he was having some success.

just a stat, 43% of Tebow pass attempts are made in the 4th quarter

Elevation inc
01-04-2012, 06:36 PM

he rarely has a checkdown on pass plays....the last game i saw heavy designed checkdowns was the chicago game, and he checked down to ball 3 times that game tying drive for example....problem is the last 3 games we want big pass plays and thats all were calling with little option for checkdown cause the checkdown options are in max protect on the OL cause 5 players cant hold off a 4 man rush

jhildebrand
01-04-2012, 06:38 PM
I just wish people would look with a little more objectivity!

If it is ok for Fox to stop calling any pass plays because the success isn't there, then why isn't he calling more when he is successful? :confused:

This is the guy you would trust an Andrew Luck to? I am not so sure I would.

NightTerror218
01-04-2012, 06:46 PM
i hope with aggressive it means more short to intermediate passes. So we can get some quick yards. Those would be great mixed in randomly with runs.

hamrob
01-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Fox is a damned idiot. He keeps sticking his foot in his mouth...making snyde comments about Tebow and his ability.

Why would any coach do that? It's time for Fox to come out of his cave and wake the **** up!

I re-watched the Chiefs game last night on Tivo. If anyone else taped the game, I'd encourage you to do the same. If you watch every one of Tebow's throws in that game with an open mind...there was not many open receivers. They were blanketed. They were not passes that he should have tried making. Even Simms commented that the "receivers are not getting open". The one pass play that Simms thought Tebow should have made was the flee flicker and Thomas had a defender all over him. Decker was open on that play to the left side line on an out and up. When Tebow saw Thomas was covered he rolled right and eventually threw it away. He never saw Decker. There were not open receivers at all, in that game. Go watch it...that's a fact!

Bigger problem than Tim Tebow not being accurate or willing to pull the trigger:

Our wide recievers cannot beat one on one coverage!!!!

OrangeHoof
01-04-2012, 10:02 PM
i hope with aggressive it means more short to intermediate passes. So we can get some quick yards. Those would be great mixed in randomly with runs.

I don't know why we aren't throwing more quick three-step passes where timing is more important than reading the defense. Get the ball out on the wings more or quick slants.

IOW, throws where the ball gets out of his hands relatively quickly and doesn't require him to think about progressions or pulling the trigger. With Clark out of the lineup, they should have some success with these and it will be a surprise since Denver hasn't done this much of late.

I can promise this: If we give Harrison and Polamalu enough chances to blitz Tebow, they will cause turnovers.

battherastard
01-05-2012, 01:33 AM
hopefully as aggressive as he was against houston last year. much tougher defense though.

bcbronc
01-05-2012, 03:03 AM
I don't know why we aren't throwing more quick three-step passes where timing is more important than reading the defense. Get the ball out on the wings more or quick slants.

IOW, throws where the ball gets out of his hands relatively quickly and doesn't require him to think about progressions or pulling the trigger. With Clark out of the lineup, they should have some success with these and it will be a surprise since Denver hasn't done this much of late.

His footwork just isn't good enough for quick timing routes. He's also got young inexperienced WRs that don't run the consistent routes needed for that kind of offense. And a missed throw--whether because of the QB being inaccurate or the WR getting knocked off his route/being sloppy in his break--on a quick slant type throw is often a pick and sometimes six the other way.

Dzone
01-05-2012, 08:15 AM
So Tebow said that "You gotta know where #43 is" in his presser yesterday. Now they are making a big deal about his comment, saying it probably pissed off James Harrison and for Tebows sake he better hope not. LOL... Man, everything Tebow says is analyzed.
I dont think it will piss off Harrison any more than he already is

rcsodak
01-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Fox is a damned idiot. He keeps sticking his foot in his mouth...making snyde comments about Tebow and his ability.

Why would any coach do that? It's time for Fox to come out of his cave and wake the **** up!

I re-watched the Chiefs game last night on Tivo. If anyone else taped the game, I'd encourage you to do the same. If you watch every one of Tebow's throws in that game with an open mind...there was not many open receivers. They were blanketed. They were not passes that he should have tried making. Even Simms commented that the "receivers are not getting open". The one pass play that Simms thought Tebow should have made was the flee flicker and Thomas had a defender all over him. Decker was open on that play to the left side line on an out and up. When Tebow saw Thomas was covered he rolled right and eventually threw it away. He never saw Decker. There were not open receivers at all, in that game. Go watch it...that's a fact!

Bigger problem than Tim Tebow not being accurate or willing to pull the trigger:

Our wide recievers cannot beat one on one coverage!!!!
TiVo doesnt show you the entire field. Only where the ball is.
Maybe the admin would watch his subscribed-to game film and parlay the info to us.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

HammeredOut
01-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Why not experiment a little bit, and run a version of the elephant formation Green Bay runs. They have 2 Fb, 1 RB in the backfield, and 1TE on the line, 1WR on the island, and is run heavy either side. The main play is Aaron Rodgers handing off the ball with the extra blocker in the backfield. What my suggestion is why not run the elephant formation, but make it a shotgun play, with Tebow as the extra runner taking the snap. I know the Broncos need plays, so why don't they extend on Tebows running ability. He does run the ball like a FB.

CoachChaz
01-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Why not experiment a little bit, and run a version of the elephant formation Green Bay runs. They have 2 Fb, 1 RB in the backfield, and 1TE on the line, 1WR on the island, and is run heavy either side. The main play is Aaron Rodgers handing off the ball with the extra blocker in the backfield. What my suggestion is why not run the elephant formation, but make it a shotgun play, with Tebow as the extra runner taking the snap. I know the Broncos need plays, so why don't they extend on Tebows running ability. He does run the ball like a FB.

That would require creativity on the part of McCoy. Sorry.

Nick
01-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Tebow does not need to be more aggressive. He just needs to throw the ball when given opportunity, keep going through progressions, and hold onto the ball.

It’s clear that press coverage can overwhelm us, The receivers don’t have the quickness to separate... Tim Tebow lacks the mechanics, timing AND SPECIALLY confidence to fit balls into tight windows.

Steelers are going to switch it up against Tebow with zone and press coverage.

I have confidence in McCoy to do well against this defense with play calling and keep it close as long as Tebow does not turn the ball over. Broncos will have to play mistake free offense.

Much people want to see more short yardage game but the way I see this offense winning with Tim is by pounding the football and sneaking the ball down field. Tebow has shown he can throw a little more accurately airing it down field and a lot less risk of turning it over.

weazel
01-06-2012, 05:28 PM
he should watch roethlisberger in the bathrooms, now thats aggressive!

NightTerror218
01-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Tebow does not need to be more aggressive. He just needs to throw the ball when given opportunity, keep going through progressions, and hold onto the ball.

It’s clear that press coverage can overwhelm us, The receivers don’t have the quickness to separate... Tim Tebow lacks the mechanics, timing AND SPECIALLY confidence to fit balls into tight windows.

Steelers are going to switch it up against Tebow with zone and press coverage.

I have confidence in McCoy to do well against this defense with play calling and keep it close as long as Tebow does not turn the ball over. Broncos will have to play mistake free offense.

Much people want to see more short yardage game but the way I see this offense winning with Tim is by pounding the football and sneaking the ball down field. Tebow has shown he can throw a little more accurately airing it down field and a lot less risk of turning it over.

But throwing the ball rather then holding on to it will be more aggressive. He is sees a window go for it rather then thinking till it closes.

JPPT1974
01-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Tebow must not just run with his feet. But do it also through the air. And indeed, walk the walk with a tough Steelers defense.

Nick
01-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Tebow got his confidence back quick that game after connecting a few short passes and by far his best timing leading his receivers. That last play was a difficult throw and he nailed it.

Bring your A game next week and don't turn the ball over... We come out with the win.