PDA

View Full Version : New Staff Off and Running

Denver Native (Carol)
02-19-2009, 11:06 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/jsaccomano/2009/02/18/new-staff-off-and-running/

The new tandem of Head Coach Josh McDaniels and General Manager Brian Xanders is off and running, as one can tell by the roster moves coming out of Dove Valley these days.

Coach McDaniels exudes an energy level that is truly infectious, and the entire organization seems to be energized by his personality.

The coaching staff is now complete, and it includes some names and faces very familiar to Bronco fans.

Of course, Bobby Turner continues as the running backs coach and Rick Dennison has the offensive line, while fan favorite (as a player) Keith Burns remains in his special teams capacity as well. Rich Tuten and top assistant Greg Saporta continue to handle strength and conditioning for the Broncos.

But in addition, Mike Nolan is back with the team as our defensive coordinator. The offensive coordinator is Mike McCoy, and he shares a brief Denver playing career with Mike Nolan.

Each was signed by Denver as a college free agent and then went into coaching after being waived by the Broncos. Noaln was a free agent safety from Oregon and McCoy a free agent quarterback from Utah.

In addition, Ed Donatell was on our staff for both Super Bowl victories and has returned as defensive backfield coach, so there is a lot of familiarity for fans on the coaching staff.

All the coaches and scouts this week are congregating in Indianapolis for the NFL’s annual scouting combine, while at the same time evaluations continue on both active Broncos players and upcoming free agent talent from other teams.

The answer to the question of how the 2009 Broncos will be built is that in each case every possible player is evaluated, and the determination will be made as to how he helps the Broncos, does he make the team better, will he help the team win.

There is no absolute relative to free agency beyond the fact that every player has to be evaluated.

We are fortunate to have had a lot of young players make the team from the draft and college free agency the last couple of years, and we have nine selections set in this year’s draft.

So there are high hopes for another good talent crop there, one that will be supplemented by free agency.

This will be the 50th year of play for the Denver Broncos, as well as for the other seven original American Football League teams, and we will bring both talent and passion into the upcoming season.

The other seven, by the way, include the New York Titans (now Jets), Buffalo Bills, Boston (now New England) Patriots, Houston Oilers (now the Tennessee Titans), Los Angeles (now San Diego) Chargers, Oakland Raiders and the Dallas Texans (now the Kansas City Chiefs).

These eight will be celebrating their 50th year of play, and fans can look for announcements in the next couple of months about that year-long anniversary date.

Meanwhile, the coaches and scouts are all heading to and returning from Indy at various times, depending on the dates of workouts for respective position groups.

It is an exciting time for the Broncos, and that excitement is only going to build as we get ready for the draft and NFL-authorized on field workouts.

It did not take long to realize Coach McDaniels brings a high level of intensity and passion to his job, and I believe fans will pick up on this and take to it immediately.

Stay tuned. It is going to be a fun ride in 2009.

broncobryce
02-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Hell to the yes

Shazam!
02-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Broncos should wear their classic :defense: in honor of their 50th year. Their older unis were horrific.

oobehr
02-20-2009, 01:03 AM
throwbacks would be badass.

WARHORSE
02-20-2009, 07:30 AM
I'll settle for winning the superbowl.

Superchop 7
02-20-2009, 11:18 AM
We are fortunate to have had a lot of young players make the team from the draft and college free agency the last couple of years, and we have nine selections set in this year’s draft.

So there are high hopes for another good talent crop there, one that will be supplemented by free agents.

REALITY CHECK

The guys that "found" those players are gone.

MOtorboat
02-20-2009, 11:35 AM
REALITY CHECK

The guys that "found" those players are gone.

The guys that are gone also found:
Jarvis Moss
Tim Crowder
Karl Paymah
Dominique Foxworth

I think I'll take my chances with a new approach, especially on defense, at this point.

Dean
02-20-2009, 08:45 PM
The guys that are gone also found:
Jarvis Moss
Tim Crowder
Karl Paymah
Dominique Foxworth

I think I'll take my chances with a new approach, especially on defense, at this point.

Jim Goodman has only been in charge of player personnel the last two years (there was talk that he was giving input 3 years ago). I think that you have to look elsewhere for Paymah and Foxworth if you feel the need to place the blame at someone's door.

P.S. Foxworth started this year for Atlanta.