PDA

View Full Version : Memo to Mike McCoy/Tebow: The TE is actually an eligible receiver.

Jsteve01
01-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I just looked it up at www.nflrules.com and it says you can throw the ball to your tight end. Somebody needs to get this info to Fox and McCoy stat.

Traveler
01-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I just looked it up at www.nflrules.com and it says you can throw the ball to your tight end. Somebody needs to get this info to Fox and McCoy stat.

Forward this message to McD too.:D

catfish
01-03-2012, 02:55 PM
going to show my Florida a little bit, but Tebow not throwing it to the TE either by design or by choice is very confusing to me. They used to eat teams alive throwing to the TE when he was at UF. TE releases gets behid the stacked box and is off to the races. Of course it was Aaron Hernendez, but still

Jsteve01
01-03-2012, 02:56 PM
going to show my Florida a little bit, but Tebow not throwing it to the TE either by design or by choice is very confusing to me. They used to eat teams alive throwing to the TE when he was at UF. TE releases gets behid the stacked box and is off to the races. Of course it was Aaron Hernendez, but still

Fells caught 40 plus balls last year and looked pretty solid when Kyle was in there. I said it after Fox got hired but his teams have never used the TE effectively. I'm not certain that's all on Fox but he's never had a Pro Bowl TE and his TEs get very few targets.

NightTerror218
01-03-2012, 03:11 PM
I bet with GB Finley, NE Gronkowski, SD Antonio Gates, ect would have only 2 catches a season with this team just like Rosario/Fells.

iLands
01-03-2012, 03:30 PM
We want Coby!

BroncoStud
01-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Tebow is afraid to throw the ball in the middle of the field. It's pretty obvious. There need to be plays designed AND CALLED where his initial read is the TE running a skinny post or an inside route in the middle. We need to get him comfortable throwing inside.

That's what I simply don't understand... The playcalling just doesn't establish any sort of rhythm for this offense and for our struggling QB. Easy 5-7 yard throws to start the game then work in the tougher ones later, instead of the opposite.

Tebow is struggling mightily and McCoy is f'ing clueless half the time.

G_Money
01-03-2012, 03:38 PM

This is what is so frustrating to me. I know he can find a 6'6" guy running 10 yards downfield and throw him a pass. There are some throws that aren't in his arsenal - that once certainly is. But that guy is not running those routes. The joy of a stacked box is that it DOESN'T take 30 yard passes to beat it - you've got to throw it 8-15 yards, especially if the LBs bite on the run.

But our play-action is never to hit a quick pass, and certainly not one to a TE.

Just seems to cut the guts out of what a run-oriented team, especially one with a running QB, should be able to accomplish.

Without TEs or backs in the flat, we seem to abdicate something like 60% of the field for no reason I can fathom. Because no one has to worry about covering a back or a TE the defenders then clog the line and either run-blitz (which turns into a blitz-blitz when Tebow drops back) or all the LBs just clog Tim's running lanes and force him to run around uselessly behind the LOS looking in vain for a passing target.

We saw how Brady shredded us with essentially two pass-catching TEs and a short, quick receiver right? Maybe our guys aren't up to the task, but I'd like to see some plays designed to find out.

~G

Dreadnought
01-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Wacky idea of the day. Eric Decker at TE, filling the fast pass catching role Scheff once did, sometimes split out or in the slot? Decker may actually be a better blocker than Scheffler anyways. I dunno. Maybe he would just get ignored.

Superchop 7
01-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Dave Logan says that a TE catching passes is ok if it's a back shoulder throw.

G_Money
01-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Wacky idea of the day. Eric Decker at TE, filling the fast pass catching role Scheff once did, sometimes split out or in the slot? Decker may actually be a better blocker than Scheffler anyways. I dunno. Maybe he would just get ignored.

It won't help if the only passing plays we run are designed for 17+ yards at the point of reception. :tsk:

Gotta run an 8 yard route before you can complete one. And I'd put DT at TE before Decker. DT on a LB should be a ridiculous mismatch of Shannon Sharpe proportions. He's probably bigger than Shannon and stronger than Scheffler, honestly, and he is at least as willing a blocker, and even if he runs sucky routes he's faster.

DT for TE. Willis, Royal and Decker as the wides, Fells for two TE sets.

~G

nevcraw
01-03-2012, 03:47 PM
bring in fassell

catfish
01-03-2012, 03:47 PM
This is what is so frustrating to me. I know he can find a 6'6" guy running 10 yards downfield and throw him a pass. There are some throws that aren't in his arsenal - that once certainly is. But that guy is not running those routes. The joy of a stacked box is that it DOESN'T take 30 yard passes to beat it - you've got to throw it 8-15 yards, especially if the LBs bite on the run.

But our play-action is never to hit a quick pass, and certainly not one to a TE.

Just seems to cut the guts out of what a run-oriented team, especially one with a running QB, should be able to accomplish.

Without TEs or backs in the flat, we seem to abdicate something like 60% of the field for no reason I can fathom. Because no one has to worry about covering a back or a TE the defenders then clog the line and either run-blitz (which turns into a blitz-blitz when Tebow drops back) or all the LBs just clog Tim's running lanes and force him to run around uselessly behind the LOS looking in vain for a passing target.

We saw how Brady shredded us with essentially two pass-catching TEs and a short, quick receiver right? Maybe our guys aren't up to the task, but I'd like to see some plays designed to find out.

~G

it is very confusing to me why a QB with accuracy issues is being asked to throw more than 15 yards in the air a higher percentage of the time than any other QB in the NFL.

tebow is struggling with the 10-20 yard routes, but hitting pretty much everything else with consistency(relative to other qb's)

rationalfan
01-03-2012, 03:50 PM
i'm not sure why this is the coachs' fault. i mean, does anyone really believe that fox and mccoy are telling tebow "ok, only throw to the tight end if every other option is unavailable, and before you do that look to scramble."

granted, some gameplans call for more tight end involvement than others, but after the last three weeks i'm finding it harder and harder to blame the coaches for the broncos' horrible passing game. tebow appears to be more at fault than anything else.

and, for clarification, i would LOVE to see tebow grow into a pro-bowl-caliber THROWING QB. i enjoy the energy he brings (though, it wasn't there Sunday. at all). but it looks like defenses have figured out how to nullify his positive attributes while exposing his weaknesses.

i hope the trend changes sunday.

catfish
01-03-2012, 03:51 PM
Fells caught 40 plus balls last year and looked pretty solid when Kyle was in there. I said it after Fox got hired but his teams have never used the TE effectively. I'm not certain that's all on Fox but he's never had a Pro Bowl TE and his TEs get very few targets.

I seem to recall a few catches in the Miami game where I was like holy cow that was amazing catch for that WR only to see it was the TE...I was pretty floored

catfish
01-03-2012, 03:52 PM
i'm not sure why this is the coachs' fault. i mean, does anyone really believe that fox and mccoy are telling tebow "ok, only throw to the tight end if every other option is unavailable, and before you do that look to scramble."

granted, some gameplans call for more tight end involvement than others, but after the last three weeks i'm finding it harder and harder to blame the coaches for the broncos' horrible passing game. tebow appears to be more at fault than anything else.

and, for clarification, i would LOVE to see tebow grow into a pro-bowl-caliber THROWING QB. i enjoy the energy he brings (though, it wasn't there Sunday. at all). but it looks like defenses have figured out how to nullify his positive attributes while exposing his weaknesses.

i hope the trend changes sunday.

I should have been clearer I have no idea whether it is a product of the gameplan or the QB play was simply stating my suprise. Wasn't meant to be a knock on the coaching. I happen to like Fox

DenBronx
01-03-2012, 03:56 PM
I couldnt agree more that a TE is an eligible reciever but it just so happens we don't have ANY TEs that are capable of being THAT security blanket.

See: Gonzalez, Finley, Gates, Graham, Gronk, Hernandez, Sheffler, Owens, Olsen, K2, Miller, Z. Miller ect ect ect ect ect ect ect.

You can't expect big play from small time TE's. You just can't. You want it then you got to spend or draft to get it. And no I'm not talking about Dick Quinn in the 2nd.

MOtorboat
01-03-2012, 04:32 PM
Is it as drastic as some think?

Tebow has completed 16 of 126 passes to tight ends, or 12.6 percent of his passes.

Rivers has completed 91 of 366 passes to tight ends, or 24.8 percent.

Raiders quarterbacks have completed 44 of 315 passes to tight ends, or 13.9 percent.

Chiefs quarterbacks have completed 34 of 299, or 11.3 percent.

rcsodak
01-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Fells has made some nice catches. Even made TT look like a better qb in the process.

But when your confidence is waning, and defenses are bringing the house because they know he struggles picking it up, the TE's are just stuck helping block or missed by his scared eyes.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

DenBronx
01-03-2012, 04:36 PM

Tebow has completed 16 of 126 passes to tight ends, or 12.6 percent of his passes.

Raiders quarterbacks have completed 44 of 315 passes to tight ends, or 13.9 percent.

I don't know MO but it would be interesting to see how many of those completions were in the redzone for TDs or 3rd downs when needed most to keep drives alive? I look at the overall stats of guys like Gronk and Graham. Brady killed us on 3rd down with Hernandez.

Tebow is seriously lacking a pass catching TE. I think that would improve us alot. But....Tebow is seriously lacking QB mechanics too. :laugh:

Jsteve01
01-03-2012, 04:41 PM

Mo with the way this offense has been struggling Fells/Rosario and a rb should be a quick check for Tebow. I don't think the other situations are good analogies because they've got guys like Jackson, Floyd, Bowe, and Breaston to throw to and quite honestly our receivers aren't in that league. Tim needs a safety valve and seemingly our scheme has neglected to focus on two positions that could really help tim.

ShooterJM
01-03-2012, 05:15 PM
I could be wrong, but I bet our TE's stay in to help the OL block more often then running routes.

Jsteve01
01-03-2012, 05:16 PM
exactamundo but Orton was incorporating Fells quite a bit early in the year.

rcsodak
01-03-2012, 06:28 PM
exactamundo but Orton was incorporating Fells quite a bit early in the year.
As did TT. But that was before defenses decided to cover anybody past the los. :D

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Slick
01-03-2012, 06:42 PM
I've seen both Fells and Green open from my couch a lot this year. Tim just doesn't throw much if at all over the middle. It's frustrating. There are times where I wish I could take the ball out of his hands and throw it myself.

Jsteve01
01-03-2012, 07:27 PM
I've seen both Fells and Green open from my couch a lot this year. Tim just doesn't throw much if at all over the middle. It's frustrating. There are times where I wish I could take the ball out of his hands and throw it myself.

good luck getting the ball out of Tim's hands he doesn't turn the....oh wait

I Eat Staples
01-03-2012, 09:36 PM

That idea is far too smart and creative for McCoy. I think most of the fans on this board could call a better game than him.

Don't get me wrong, Tebow looked absolutely atrocious out there, but McCoy certainly didn't do him any favors. Have we ever thrown a slant all year? It seems like we're always running deep routes against a stacked box.