PDA

View Full Version : After splits, lots of cash for Broncos' exes

Denver Native (Carol)
02-19-2009, 09:27 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/19/legwold-after-splits-lots-of-cash-for-broncos/

In 2008, the Broncos fielded the youngest team in Mike Shanahan's tenure, a testament to an increased emphasis on keeping and developing the team's draft picks, an emphasis many in the league believed wasn't there during much of Shanahan's time with the team.

But it was also proof to many in the NFL that the Broncos did not have the cash reserves on hand to lavish signing bonuses on the high-end players available in the free-agent market.

In the weeks before free agency opened in 2007, it was chief operating officer Joe Ellis sitting in the organizational meetings when the plan was made and providing the cost analysis for any prospective moves.

Cash was tight last season, and it reflected in the Broncos' work.

While their money, in retrospect, could have certainly been spent better - they paid a $2.5 million signing bonus to wide receiver Keary Colbert, a $2.5 million signing bonus to linebacker Niko Koutouvides, and signed safety Marquand Manuel and safety Marlon McCree - there are plenty of signs the Broncos will not be rushing out front to pursue high-dollar players when free agency opens Feb. 27.

First, there isn't a soul anywhere who doesn't understand the nation is experiencing economic troubles of historic proportions, which might certainly chill free agency leaguewide.

And, for the Broncos, there is also the rather substantial matter of paying people who no longer work for them.

With their franchise-rattling shake-up, they will be writing plenty of checks to folks who no longer have desks in their building.

Leading the way will be Shanahan, with three years left on a contract worth $7 million per year and containing a clause that guaranteed him to be one of the three highest-paid head coaches in the league.

There is also former defensive coordinator Bob Slowik, who has two years left on a deal that comes in at a little more than $1 million per season.

Both Jim Goodman and Jeff Goodman, two of the team's top football officials until they were fired last week, will be paid in the upcoming season.

There are a handful of former Shanahan assistants, like defensive backs coach Ryan Slowik - he interviewed with the Lions recently but did not get the job - defensive line coach Jacob Burney, tight ends coach Pat McPherson and linebackers coach Jim Ryan, who are still owed at least one year's pay on their contracts.

And until Jim Bates was hired as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' defensive coordinator last month, the Broncos were set to pay him for another season. Bates had two years - at $1.3 million per - left on his deal when he and Shanahan agreed to part ways after the 2007 season.

Shanahan had told others in the league that the team and Bates had reached a financial settlement when Bates refused a demotion, but Bates was paid by the team last season and would have been paid in '09 had he not joined the Buccaneers.

That's a lot of cash in the outgoing mail before the Broncos even begin talking about jumping into the free-agency pool. In fact, it would not be a stretch to say the current football staff - coaches and personnel - won't make, combined, what the people who don't work for the team do.

This week, newly minted Broncos general manager Brian Xanders was describing the kinds of players the team is seeking in the draft and free agency:

"Toughness, smarts, intelligence, instincts, versatility and production all into the system that we have in place here."

Those are all buzzwords for fitting pieces into the puzzle rather than finding as many high-priced pieces as possible and then trying to see what puzzle it will make.

And from same link:

Cost cutting

The Broncos started the week with 16 players on the roster set to count at least $1 million against the salary cap in 2009. Then, in the span of six days, they released six of them. Those who were released:

Pos. Player: '09 cap figure

DT Dewayne Robertson: $16,000,000

CB Dre Bly: $6,800,000

LB Niko Koutouvides: $3,061,666

LB Jamie Winborn: $2,250,000

DE John Engelberger: $2,185,000

S Marquand Manuel: $1,333,333

Kickoff

NUMBERS GAME

7quarterbacks, according to union figures, who counted at least $10 million against the salary cap this past season. At all the other positions combined, five players had cap figures of at least $10 million.

CLOSER LOOK

With the current economic struggles, and most teams fighting to keep from losing too many of their corporate sponsors, who also are looking to cut costs, there is a feeling at the NFL combine this week that what gets done in the draft this year is more important than ever.

Not only in terms of signing players who, in Rounds 2-7, will not be among a team's upper tier in salary, but because draft picks are with a team four years before they reach unrestricted free agency.

As usual, teams have come to Indianapolis looking to fill the roster gaps with as few mistakes as possible. But the prospects on hand this year might find themselves being interviewed a little more aggressively by team officials who believe they have even less margin for error.

That's because, whether anyone will admit it, the tone simply feels different this year, much like folks who aren't used to living on a budget suddenly having to watch the bottom line a lot more closely.

HE SAID IT

"I believe any setup can win, whether it's based on experience. I think age is irrelevant. I think it's about what you can do that day to help the team win in the future."

Broncos general manager Brian Xanders, on whether a first-year general manager such as himself and a first-year head coach such as Josh McDaniels can succeed together immediately.

Fan in Exile
02-19-2009, 10:28 PM
He's just rehashing things we already knew. Until someone takes a look at the Bronco's books I'm not going to lose my head worrying about how much money we've got. I think it was 2007 we were the 6th most profitable franchise in the league.

But really I don't want to see them signing one of the big money guys out there, I think we have too many holes to fill.

Lonestar
02-19-2009, 11:49 PM
He's just rehashing things we already knew. Until someone takes a look at the Bronco's books I'm not going to lose my head worrying about how much money we've got. I think it was 2007 we were the 6th most profitable franchise in the league.

But really I don't want to see them signing one of the big money guys out there, I think we have too many holes to fill.

Yet in 2008 we spent less on FAs than ever before 2000-06 IIRC.. and it would have been minuscule had Robertson not come up late in the year..

The more I hear, the more I'm convinced that we will see 4-5 second tier FAs signed, with the the rest of the defense will be filled Via the draft.. and UFAs..

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-20-2009, 02:15 AM
Yet in 2008 we spent less on FAs than ever before 2000-06 IIRC.. and it would have been minuscule had Robertson not come up late in the year..

The more I hear, the more I'm convinced that we will see 4-5 second tier FAs signed, with the the rest of the defense will be filled Via the draft.. and UFAs..

Well there will be 1 to 3 top tier guys that come in and will be offered a contract...number 1 will be Ray Lewis.

Fan in Exile
02-20-2009, 06:17 AM

Yeah but when what you hear is from reporters who don't themselves know what's going to go on it's best to take it with a grain of salt. Also I'm pretty sure the McDaniels at one point said we would be going after one high priced FA. Of course he may or may not have been tagged by now.

WARHORSE
02-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Well, even the best laid plans are going to have to pass through the plans of everyone else. There are 31 other teams out there with their own designs on what needs to be done for their own benefit in free agency and the draft.

Variables.

We will soon be finding out just exactly what is going to happen in free agency.

I personally think the Broncos are talking to teams at the combine right now discussing a number of trade scenarios, looking to boost the number of draft picks they have.

I think Dumverville is a high candidate for trade to a team that runs a
4-3. Why? Cause Im having a hard time imagining him dropping into coverage. I could be wrong of course and hope he can turn out to be a real terror as a rush linebacker. But his contract is prime for a trade.

Sure would like to be a fly on the wall at the combine.................:D

As for money woes...........we arent making moves like a team with money woes.

tomjonesrocks
02-20-2009, 09:47 AM
The fact that we'll be paying the Goodmans makes it all the more questionable that they're gone. Why not keep them around at least until you don't have to pay them anymore?

The fact that Slowik gets a $1 million paycheck for the next two seasons is sickening.