PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Ward looks good in orange and blue?

oobehr
02-18-2009, 09:05 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ece9f0

Sounds to me that he wouldn't mind being the starter for us.

anton...
02-18-2009, 09:57 PM
do any of these rbs not realise that almost no team these days has a "starting" back and that teams with complimentary backs are the go...

no matter where he goes, he will be splitting carries...

is that really that different from what was doing for the giants??

perhaps his name will be read out first, perhaps when the game starts and they show the "starters" on tv with pictures and such, he may be there, but cmon...

:stupid people make me frown:

broncohead
02-18-2009, 10:18 PM
do any of these rbs not realise that almost no team these days has a "starting" back and that teams with complimentary backs are the go...

no matter where he goes, he will be splitting carries...

is that really that different from what was doing for the giants??

perhaps his name will be read out first, perhaps when the game starts and they show the "starters" on tv with pictures and such, he may be there, but cmon...

:stupid people make me frown:

If he comes here he won't be splitting carries. Who is it going to be with? Hillis is the only person I can think of but he'll go back to FB.

dogfish
02-18-2009, 11:03 PM
blech!

RB is about the LAST position i ever want to see filled in FA. . . . why pay a veteran salary when you can fill the position pretty much any year with fresh legs at the cost of a mid-round draft pick. . . RB is hands down the easiest position to transition from college to the NFL-- maybe give 'em a year to learn blitz pickups and route running if they didn't do that much of it in college, but most backs can come in and do about 85% of what you want them to just on pure instinct and athletic ability. . .

spend our FA dollars where they're desperately needed, on the defensive side of the ball! it just makes so much more sense to bring in a player like chris canty who's already developed, and get a plug-and-play back in the daft, as oppsed to spending money on ward and then drafting a DL that might take years to develop and contribute. . . and if we fill a few holes in the front seven in FA, there's no reason we can't spend a 2nd or 3rd to grab a back like shonn green, rashad jennings or donald brown. . .

silkamilkamonico
02-18-2009, 11:30 PM
If he comes here he won't be splitting carries. Who is it going to be with? Hillis is the only person I can think of but he'll go back to FB.

He better split carries. You want a RB dead for the last stretch of the regular season and playoffs, then have him carry the entire workload.

nj10
02-19-2009, 12:20 AM
The video you linked has nothing to do with the subject of the thread...

MOtorboat
02-19-2009, 12:21 AM
So would a lot of guys.

DenBronx
02-19-2009, 12:25 AM
rookie shonn greene > derrick ward

less money too! :D

broncohead
02-19-2009, 12:28 AM
He better split carries. You want a RB dead for the last stretch of the regular season and playoffs, then have him carry the entire workload.

Name some one off of our roster that he can split carries with. Hillis will be playing FB if Ward comes to Denver, not that I think he will. Bell is good for 5-10 hoping that he'll break 1. Torrain hasn't proven anything. Who else?

WARHORSE
02-19-2009, 06:03 AM
Id take Ward in a heartbeat for the right price.

Hes still got a lot of tread on him and I think he could do alot here.

Ziggy
02-19-2009, 09:09 AM
Id take Ward in a heartbeat for the right price.

Hes still got a lot of tread on him and I think he could do alot here.

Question is, what's the right price War? I think he's looking to be paid like a top feature back. Not sure he's worth that to us right now.

broncosinindy
02-19-2009, 09:23 AM

I wouldn't bet on that. At this point we do not know how they will use Hillis. although it would be foolish to move him back down to FB. i would imagine they sign Heath Evans who is a FB from NE. and run a RBBC backfield.

MHCBill
02-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Please no free agent running back for top dollar.

A vet as a back-up (i.e. Pittman) is it.

If we spend money, spend it on the defense. On offense the only money we should be spending is on vet back-ups or extending our young nucleus.

SOCALORADO.
02-19-2009, 10:36 AM
rookie shonn greene > derrick ward

less money too! :D

Greene is better than Ward!

Didnt Ward just change agents? I think he now has drew (big money) rosenhaus as his agent now, so he is more than likely looking for a HUGE payday.

WARHORSE
02-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Question is, what's the right price War? I think he's looking to be paid like a top feature back. Not sure he's worth that to us right now.

I doubt he'll get alot of looks. Simply because theres a boat load of RBs out there right now, and most people already have one.

He said he would look real good in orange and blue, and I think thats because here he thinks he would be featured.

I like him.......hes got the whole package and he runs hard.

Hes going to find out his value once the market opens, and if hes placed within our range, something we would be willing to do..........then Id pull the trigger.

Hes exactly the type of player Xman and McD are looking for.

silkamilkamonico
02-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Name some one off of our roster that he can split carries with. Hillis will be playing FB if Ward comes to Denver, not that I think he will. Bell is good for 5-10 hoping that he'll break 1. Torrain hasn't proven anything. Who else?

Anyone else. Run it by committee then. Take a look around the NFL. There aren't any upper tier teams that don't split carries with their RB's. And considering McDaniels system rarely uses a FB, Hillis will get a lot of touches. Probably more than Ward because he is better.

broncohead
02-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Anyone else. Run it by committee then. Take a look around the NFL. There aren't any upper tier teams that don't split carries with their RB's. And considering McDaniels system rarely uses a FB, Hillis will get a lot of touches. Probably more than Ward because he is better.

Well your personal opinion has nothing to back up that statement expecially since Ward has shown he can be a full time RB. I don't believe we'll bid for him since there will be a couple teams that would be willing to pay more then us. Hillis imo should be the starter next season because he runs hard and has great hands. Who will be the backup?

silkamilkamonico
02-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Well your personal opinion has nothing to back up that statement expecially since Ward has shown he can be a full time RB. I don't believe we'll bid for him since there will be a couple teams that would be willing to pay more then us. Hillis imo should be the starter next season because he runs hard and has great hands. Who will be the backup?

I don't think Ward is a full time RB. He's coming off a 3 headed carousal at NY where he wasn't even the best one. I don't think the issue should really be who's starting and who's backing up. There will be a plethora of RB's that see action. McDaniels has chosen to give touches to several different backs in NEw England, and I think he will do the same in Denver. And I think that's what will give the team the best chance to win.

There wasn't 1 team in the playoffs last year that had an exclusive 1 RB system, with the exception of Atlanta, and even Norwood got almost 20% of the carries.

broncohead
02-19-2009, 10:49 PM
I don't think Ward is a full time RB. He's coming off a 3 headed carousal at NY where he wasn't even the best one. I don't think the issue should really be who's starting and who's backing up. There will be a plethora of RB's that see action. McDaniels has chosen to give touches to several different backs in NEw England, and I think he will do the same in Denver. And I think that's what will give the team the best chance to win.

There wasn't 1 team in the playoffs last year that had an exclusive 1 RB system, with the exception of Atlanta, and even Norwood got almost 20% of the carries.

That's great and all but who do we have that can carry the ball besides Hillis? Young and Bell are the same type of player. Can't break tackles and gets injured to easy. Torain, injuries, and what has he proven. Taking a guy with any of the top 3 picks wouldn't be a wise decision unless one falls. In New England he had that option with depth. He doesn't have it here yet.

broncobryce
02-19-2009, 10:56 PM
I do not want Ward unless he comes very cheap. (not gonna happen) After Jacobs wears down the D, he comes in and looks good? After Jacobs hit the D a few times, everyone looked good in the Giants backfield.

broncohead
02-19-2009, 10:59 PM
I do not want Ward unless he comes very cheap. (not gonna happen) After Jacobs wears down the D, he comes in and looks good? After Jacobs hit the D a few times, everyone looked good in the Giants backfield.

There is 11 players on the defense at a time and he wears them all down by himself? I'm sure.

broncobryce
02-19-2009, 11:05 PM
no, there are 10 other guys on offense too. But the guy weights 265........wouldn't you be tired of hitting him?

Drill-N-Fill
02-19-2009, 11:12 PM
He's 29 and looking for his big pay day before its too late.

broncohead
02-19-2009, 11:29 PM
no, there are 10 other guys on offense too. But the guy weights 265........wouldn't you be tired of hitting him?

I'm only 170 so yes... Maybe I would agree with that statement if Ward only came in in the second half of the game.

dogfish
02-20-2009, 12:18 AM

don't forget that they've got a pretty damn good line, either-- all three of their backs look good behind it, and that should tell you something. . .

i like ward well enough, he runs hard and ha solid ability and some tenacity, but IMO he's certainly not special enough to be worth any significant expenditure when we just cut half our defense and are desperate for help on that side of the ball. . . positions that are higher priorities than RB should include a starting nosetackle, backup nosetackle, at least one starting five-technique end, a starting cornerback, preferably at least one solid LB (either inside or outside), and possibly at least one safety as well. . .

pass on ward-- we can EASILY find someone younger and cheaper that can do everything he can and be around a lot longer. . . our free agent dollars REALLY need to go towards fixing the defense. . . if we don't find a solid CB and at least one decent impact DL, IMO our chances of being competitive next season go waaaay down. . . .

TXBRONC
02-20-2009, 12:32 AM
I'm in agreement with those who say we should take a pass on Ward. He probably would be productive for us but he is looking for a big pay day and he is 29. I think in the big picture we wouldn't get our money's worth.

DenBronx
02-24-2009, 07:14 PM
-- Broncos Free Agency Update - Derrick Ward Too Expensive --
Tue Feb 24, 2000

The Denver Post reports by the second week of March, the Broncos are expected to add seven or eight free-agent players. Their needs: a starting cornerback, one or two safeties, a nose tackle, one or two defensive ends, one or two linebackers, a No. 3-type receiver, a backup quarterback and possibly a running back. Meanwhile, RB Derrick Ward likely has priced himself beyond the Broncos' budget.

broncohead
02-24-2009, 09:37 PM
Tue Feb 24, 2000

The Denver Post reports by the second week of March, the Broncos are expected to add seven or eight free-agent players. Their needs: a starting cornerback, one or two safeties, a nose tackle, one or two defensive ends, one or two linebackers, a No. 3-type receiver, a backup quarterback and possibly a running back. Meanwhile, RB Derrick Ward likely has priced himself beyond the Broncos' budget.

I don't doubt it but he would be a good addition and help out the offense immediately. I wouldn't pay top dollar for him either.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Tue Feb 24, 2000

The Denver Post reports by the second week of March, the Broncos are expected to add seven or eight free-agent players. Their needs:
a starting cornerback...Bryant Mcadden
one or two safeties...Leonhard
a nose tackle...unfortunately Grady Jackson
one or two defensive ends...Chris Canty and Mike Wright
one or two linebackers...Bart Scott and Kevin Burnett
a No. 3-type receiver...Bryant Johnson
a backup quarterback...who cares? we're screwed w/o Jay
and possibly a running back...draft one

My feedback in orange.

Thnikkaman
02-24-2009, 10:35 PM
I almost wouldnt mind seeing Huard as our backup.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-24-2009, 10:48 PM
almost

DenBronx
02-25-2009, 03:14 AM
almo

st.....NOT!