PDA

View Full Version : Backing in? NO SUCH THING!

Davii
01-02-2012, 02:27 AM
I HATE hearing all this "backing in" garbage.

Reality check = the Broncos are division champs because of the games we won, NOT because of the ones we lost. There is no backing in.

Certainly it's better to enter the playoffs with momentum and confidence, but you get in based on wins, we tied our rivals and won the tie breakers, period.

Maybe this team can pull their heads out of their asses. The Steelers are beatable, they struggled against the "mighty" Browns and they must come play a mile high.

And you know what... If they don't, they're STILL division champs. One year after going 4-12. Pretty damned good improvement.

Congrats Broncos, now snap this losing skid and play right. Yes, I'm looking at you offense.

Ziggy
01-02-2012, 02:40 AM
Davii, you're alright for an infidel.

Davii
01-02-2012, 02:41 AM
Davii, you're alright for an infidel.

I try. Infidels aren't all bad... They're better than Raider fans!

BroncoBJ
01-02-2012, 02:51 AM
We went 4-13 last year? Damn, it was worse than I remember :lol:

But yea, pretty much what I have said. its sort of backing in, but at the same time, we won the games we needed to win. If we don't deserve the division and playoffs, then which 8-8 team or 7-9 team in our division deserves it exactly? :confused:

VonSackemMiller
01-02-2012, 03:21 AM
the team that did enough of what they had to do deserves to win the division. which is us. and im perfectly fine about it. I love the fact that were in the playoffs. I said from day one i dont care if we pull in or back in aslong as the car is parked in the playoffs. we won enough games to win the division and thats every teams goal first and foremost.

Seahawks was 7-9, nobody said they deserved to be there and whoops they whipped the saints ass who was the champs right? shit happens. if this team does some soul searching which im sure they will after champ called the entire team including himself mediocre from players to coaches there all mediocre the last 3 weeks. i havent seen the fire, i havent seen the passion, its almost like the 7 game win streak made the team forget that the same team same players were 1-4 before tebow started and made people rise around him. seems like they forgot that they needed to RISE, Just started thinking there just that good when alot of them arent lol, This should be so humbling for our guys, this was a playoff game that they lost and didnt come to coach or play. there lucky they have another game so they better cherish it and get there shit together.

D1g1tal j1m
01-02-2012, 12:28 PM
This is exactly what I have been telling people who are eager to point out the last 3 games of our season. You can't ignore the fact we won the division after that horrible start of the season. If you asked any Broncos fan whether they would take a division title after the first 5 games, we would all say yes (after we stopped laughing at that suggestion as a possibility).

We earned the AFC West division with our play on the field. I am excited to watch the Broncos in the Playoffs, it's been a long time since I have been able to say that.

BroncoJoe
01-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Amen, brother!

Thanks for the games last night. I need to work on my play! :shocked:

Northman
01-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Lol,

Sorry. We did back in but we can try and make the most of it. Thank you Chargers.

BeefStew25
01-02-2012, 12:47 PM
By the way, Rivers looked awesome yesterday.

chazoe60
01-02-2012, 12:48 PM
If we backed in it's only becausethe rest of the division backed out.

topscribe
01-02-2012, 12:49 PM
By the way, Rivers looked awesome yesterday.

As long as you don't have to look at a mug shot of him . . .

Nomad
01-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Lol,

Sorry. We did back in but we can try and make the most of it. Thank you Chargers.

I don't see many calling out Champ Bailey and his disgust. I believe in his mentality but you're right, gotta put the pride to the side except the handout and move forward. BRONCOS are here and hopefully they find some heart and a will to win.

underrated29
01-02-2012, 01:02 PM
I said this before the season started, I said I predicted t Tebow to go through a real rough patch of three games of suckage. I didn't know it would come at the end of the season but I was hoping that the team would allow him the chance to get out of it.

Looks like its all coming to fruition. Tebow is learning and will show us how he rebounds against the #1 d in the league. I don't expect a win, more of an '06 repeat. But we are getting bonus broncos football!

pnbronco
01-02-2012, 01:03 PM
As long as you don't have to look at a mug shot of him . . .

:laugh:....thank Top.

Davii I adore you and but sweetie we so backed into this.

They scored 3 points yesterday against KC and they knew they needed to win that game to get into the playoffs. It felt worse than the Raiders game where we got our clocked clean. Not even the KC fans where cheering on the way out. It was just bad.

I was also happy when the Broncos won those 6 games with McD and there was no film on us then either. Just saying it really feels like I've been here before and what happened after those 6 games was not good.

Nomad
01-02-2012, 01:09 PM
I said this before the season started, I said I predicted t Tebow to go through a real rough patch of three games of suckage. I didn't know it would come at the end of the season but I was hoping that the team would allow him the chance to get out of it.

Looks like its all coming to fruition. Tebow is learning and will show us how he rebounds against the #1 d in the league. I don't expect a win, more of an '06 repeat. But we are getting bonus broncos football!

Losing to NE and BUFF can be forgivable considering, though the lack of heart was troubling. BUT losing to KC in Denver with the playoffs on the line is unforgivable.

Sure we all love this team and that's why we invest so much time and emotion into them, but calling them out doesn't mean one doesn't love them anyless than the ones who except this without hesitation.

Softskull
01-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Backing in?

I can't define it, but I know it when I see it.

topscribe
01-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Backing in?

I can't define it, but I know it when I see it.

It can be a bear if you've never driven a truck before . . .

Northman
01-02-2012, 01:15 PM
I don't see many calling out Champ Bailey and his disgust. I believe in his mentality but you're right, gotta put the pride to the side except the handout and move forward. BRONCOS are here and hopefully they find some heart and a will to win.

Thats why i give Champ all the credit in the world and he gets a lot more respect from me. He doesnt try to sugarcoat it like many fans. We should of won this opportunity outright but didnt get it done on our end. But, thanks to SD we get a chance to make a statement in the playoffs. Lets hope we dont come out flat yet again.

jlarsiii
01-02-2012, 01:17 PM
If it wasn't backing in then what was it? It sure wasn't going forward...

Kinda hard to like the chances of an 8-8 football club that has lost 3 straight games and has no momentum going into the playoffs...

topscribe
01-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Thats why i give Champ all the credit in the world and he gets a lot more respect from me. He doesnt try to sugarcoat it like many fans. We should of won this opportunity outright but didnt get it done on our end. But, thanks to SD we get a chance to make a statement in the playoffs. Lets hope we dont come out flat yet again.

Champ was honest enough to express what the others on defense had to be
thinking privately. Seven points? That's damned good defense in any language.
If the offense couldn't win after holding the other team to seven points, what
is the defense supposed to think?

Nomad
01-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Champ was honest enough to express what the others on defense had to be
thinking privately. Seven points? That's damned good defense in any language.
If the offense couldn't win after holding the other team to seven points, what
is the defense supposed to think?

Only if we could have held them scoreless, BRONCOS would have won 3-0.

topscribe
01-02-2012, 01:23 PM

You're right. Gotta work on that defense . . .

Nomad
01-02-2012, 01:26 PM
You're right. Gotta work on that defense . . .

Didn't say that because the defense played great, but a defense's goal is to keep the other team scoreless. And since you were playing hypotheticals of what the defense was thinking....I put what I would of thought.

Softskull
01-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Alright. I done feeling sorry for myself.

Now we just need another 3 game winning streak.

pnbronco
01-02-2012, 01:28 PM

Does anyone know what the over/under was for this game?

I love this team soooo much and I'm happy they get the money for the playoff, but dang if it were any other team we would all be making fun of them.

topscribe
01-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Didn't say that because the defense played great, but a defense's goal is to keep the other team scoreless. And since you were playing hypotheticals of what the defense was thinking....I put what I would of thought.

Well, you're very gracious. But shutouts are a relative rarity. And holding the
other team to seven points is no mean feat. I don't think it's so hypothetical,
what the defense is thinking. Let's face it: The offense has been anemic all
year. Were I a defender, would I get tired of the offense playing five minutes a
game? And now this? Yeah boy . . .

Nomad
01-02-2012, 01:37 PM

:lol: It would be a miracle and the divine intervention would be real. Life is about trial and error.....at least that's what I was taught in catechism. I always remember the "Footprints" poem. Ok I digress:D

Does anyone know what the over/under was for this game?

I love this team soooo much and I'm happy they get the money for the playoff, but dang if it were any other team we would all be making fun of them.

No idea!

Do venders and employees get a bonus for the playoffs?

DenBronx
01-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Lol,

I'm with you on this one North.

We did back in and we have looked terrible the last few weeks. Not sure what's wrong but clearly the offense needs a shot of adrenalin or something. McCoy has been terrible with his play calling and Tebow can't seem to hit the backside of a barn. Our WRs drop everything when TT finally hits the target.

McGahee looks like the rubber on his wheels are starting to show metal late in games. He can't do it all himself. Lance Ball gets stuffed in critical times when we need to move the chains.

On defense, Von Miller has been a ghost for weeks now. He was a big part of our 7 wins out of 8 games run. Dawkins is the QB of the defense and we will need him for the playoffs.

Now Kuper is out for the year.

Dunno but this team has alot of problems heading into the playoffs. Beating KC would have outright seperated us from the AFC West. More importantly we needed to beat Kyle Orton for many reasons. Our offense couldnt put up more than 3 points against this team? Are you kidding me? The Chiefs??? Realllllly?

No momentum while backing into the playoffs and now we face the leagues best defense.

Thannnnnnk you Chargers.

pnbronco
01-02-2012, 01:39 PM

You're right.....time to move on.

I think next week will be great in seeing who shows up to play. I think we have found some keepers for next year and they will get the experience and small taste of what could be.

pnbronco
01-02-2012, 01:43 PM
:lol: It would be a miracle and the divine intervention would be real. Life is about trial and error.....at least that's what I was taught in catechism. I always remember the "Footprints" poem. Ok I digress:D

No idea!

Do venders and employees get a bonus for the playoffs?

Remember Nomad...how what's his name reporter said that a playoff game was worth about 30 million or so he guessed. Plus I'm pretty sure the players get bonus money for the game as well.

Vendors get another chance to make money on food, drinks, parking...ect. It's a good shot in the arm money wise.

Nomad
01-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Remember Nomad...how what's his name reporter said that a playoff game was worth about 30 million or so he guessed. Plus I'm pretty sure the players get bonus money for the game as well.

Vendors get another chance to make money on food, drinks, parking...ect. It's a good shot in the arm money wise.

Extra money is always a good thing!:D

Elevation inc
01-02-2012, 02:48 PM
meh we backed in but dont forget we also beat Oakland, KC, and SD to get to this point.....so in all fairness we may have backed in but we did do damage with our wins against other teams and our divsion and key points to get here as well....the last 3 weeks sucked for sure, but how can you not be happy that denver is having a home playoff game for the first time since 2005 after 2 back to back extremly horrible seasons. We got lots of work to do on this team and holes are still everywhere, but we made some strides especially on defense which is the best its been since 2005 as well.....so i will take what we can get.

VonSackemMiller
01-02-2012, 03:02 PM
i cant believe bronco fans talking this backing in shit, WHo the hell do some of you think you are packer fans? Patriot fans? your just so used to riding high into the playoffs year in and year out huh? that the fact that we was 1-4 headed for a top 5 pick to division winners means nothing to you. Get real stop this crying shit like your a fan of a team thats known for going strong into the playoffs year in and year out. If you cant enjoy this shit then you dont need to be a bronco fan. Go hop on a team thats in the mix year in and year out.

Elevation inc
01-02-2012, 03:04 PM
i cant believe bronco fans talking this backing in shit, WHo the hell do some of you think you are packer fans? Patriot fans? your just so used to riding high into the playoffs year in and year out huh? that the fact that we was 1-4 headed for a top 5 pick to division winners means nothing to you. Get real stop this crying shit like your a fan of a team thats known for going strong into the playoffs year in and year out. If you cant enjoy this shit then you dont need to be a bronco fan. Go hop on a team thats in the mix year in and year out.

your not helping.....

Nomad
01-02-2012, 03:37 PM

:lol: I could care less what you say to me or any of the other fellas here calling it 'backing in' but I hope you're not calling pnbronco out because she does more for this organization and has the upmost faith/love for this team than your little fingers can ever type.

You're going to the extreme and it's very elementary to post crap like this.

VonSackemMiller
01-02-2012, 03:47 PM
I really dont know who im talking too im just saying in general. Because since last night people have been doing nothing but complaining and bashing as if we didnt accomplish something. Didnt really partain to anybody in this thread. I didnt even read the whole thread.

spikerman
01-02-2012, 03:56 PM
Get real stop this crying shit like your a fan of a team thats known for going strong into the playoffs year in and year out.

Most of us have been fans of the team longer than a certain #15 has played for them. In fact, most of us can remember when it almost seemed like it was our "right" to be in the playoffs every year. We've enjoyed a lot of success and, of course, a lot of failure. It's been a long dry spell for our favorite team, but again, many of us long-time fans have seen this act before. We are hopeful and really want our team to win, but we are also realistic. We're happy that the Broncos are still playing, but we don't hold any illusions that this is a "good" team. We remember dominant teams - this isn't one.

We'll enjoy the ride, but I think most of us expect it to be a fairly short one.

TXBRONC
01-02-2012, 05:44 PM
I HATE hearing all this "backing in" garbage.

Reality check = the Broncos are division champs because of the games we won, NOT because of the ones we lost. There is no backing in.

Certainly it's better to enter the playoffs with momentum and confidence, but you get in based on wins, we tied our rivals and won the tie breakers, period.

Maybe this team can pull their heads out of their asses. The Steelers are beatable, they struggled against the "mighty" Browns and they must come play a mile high.

And you know what... If they don't, they're STILL division champs. One year after going 4-12. Pretty damned good improvement.

Congrats Broncos, now snap this losing skid and play right. Yes, I'm looking at you offense.

Davii with all due respect with the way Denver got in I think it warrants the moniker of backing in. Don't get me wrong I take it but at the end of the day if the Raiders had not lost we wouldn't have gotten in.

KCL
01-02-2012, 06:12 PM

:lol:

I'd say losing 3 in a row and teams figuring out Tebow and the game plan has a few fans pessimistic.It doesn't mean they're not Bronco fans.

BORDERLINE
01-02-2012, 07:02 PM
WORST TO 1ST

I just want to keep this going and i'm not talking just playoffs. Next year I want to keep improving and not be one of those teams like the BUCS, FINS , hell even the Chiefs who went form the bottom to the top and then drops again.

Let's keep this up.

KCL
01-02-2012, 07:11 PM
WORST TO 1ST

I just want to keep this going and i'm not talking just playoffs. Next year I want to keep improving and not be one of those teams like the BUCS, FINS , hell even the Chiefs who went form the bottom to the top and then drops again.

Let's keep this up.

Broncos had only 1 more win than the Chiefs...Broncos in first place..KC finished last..weird...:laugh:

BORDERLINE
01-02-2012, 07:14 PM
Broncos had only 1 more win than the Chiefs...Broncos in first place..KC finished last..weird...:laugh:

Yeah I know but still in last place!!!!

It's just we where not used to picking so high in the draft. Since I have been watching the Broncos we always where right there at the end of the season pushing for the title or trying to reach a first round bye.

I Love that we WON the WEST, but IMO being consistent is more important.

Nomad
01-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Davii with all due respect with the way Denver got in I think it warrants the moniker of backing in. Don't get me wrong I take it but at the end of the day if the Raiders had not lost we wouldn't have gotten in.

Well, I guess everyone looks at things differently because I don't believe in 'Trap Games' and many here swear by them. But Bailey's demeanor makes me believe I'm not too far off in the disappointment of how things have gone.

KCL
01-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Yeah I know but still in last place!!!!

It's just we where not used to picking so high in the draft. Since I have been watching the Broncos we always where right there at the end of the season pushing for the title or trying to reach a first round bye.

I Love that we WON the WEST, but IMO being consistent is more important.

Yes we're in last place..that wasn't my point...I haven't looked at the standings of the other divisions but is there another division that has the numbers of wins/losses as the west? or even anywhere close to it? Just not much of a difference.

Cugel
01-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Lol,

Basically the truth. I don't know why people are offended when anybody says the Broncos backed into the playoffs. They did. So?

They're in by luck, not skill. And they don't deserve to be there at 8-8, but they are. Which means they have a chance.

Not a great chance. I wouldn't bet the rent money on the Broncos in this game, not unless they gave me about 15 points. Maybe not even then.

But, the Broncos have a better chance right now than the Raiders do, don't they? :laugh:

KCL
01-02-2012, 08:00 PM
But, the Broncos have a better chance right now than the Raiders do, don't they? :laugh:

And the Chargers and The Chiefs.

Joel
01-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Yes we're in last place..that wasn't my point...I haven't looked at the standings of the other divisions but is there another division that has the numbers of wins/losses as the west? or even anywhere close to it? Just not much of a difference.
There are 4 other Divisions with as many wins as the AFC West, which puts us in the middle of the pack:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings

I made a thread on the subject a few weeks ago:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328928

What was really striking was that the "average" standing for AFC West teams was 14.25 out of 32, which is still pretty much middle of the pack (though top half of the draw)--but only the AFC North averaged out higher as a whole (which was almost really bad for Cincinatti; they squeaked in as the #6 seed despite only losing to playoff teams.)

There are no title contenders in the AFC West. There are also no pushovers; every team in this Division could beat any team in the League playing our best game.

The Ravens (badly) lost their only AFC West game, Cincinatti gave Orton his only win of the year as a Bronco, and Pitt might have lost to ya'll if Bowe hadn't contracted a case of ballitis at the end of the game.

Ya'll beat GB with a new coach and QB.

The Raiders nearly beat the Lions; they DID beat the Texans with Schaub (though if he'd run into the corner of the end zone instead of throwing a pick they wouldn't have.)

The Pats swept the Division (a distinction only they and Detroit can claim) but the AFC West probably kept the Jets out of the playoffs.

The AFC West isn't great OR bad Division: It's mediocre from top to bottom; Minnesota and St. Louis would gladly swap records with any of us--except on draft day. .500 is really the worst place to be in the NFL. :tsk:

As far as backing into our post season: Super Bowls are all about peaking at the right time (ask the 2007 Giants--or the '07 Pats, Cowboys and Packers) and we seem to be past our peak. It's all gravy for a team whose coach cheated his way to a 4-12 next to last place record in 2010. We have a LOAD of work to do at virtually every spot on our roster; after the last couple weeks I'm not even 100% sold on Champ anymore. I like McGahee, DJ, Doom and... draft day....

It's a VERY young team that can benefit greatly from playoff experience, but many of those young players must raise their game signficantly for us to have any hope of a championship any time soon.

KCL
01-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks Joel..damn KC finished better than the Bills who had a great start.

AZ finished better than I thought they would.

Joel
01-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks Joel..damn KC finished better than the Bills who had a great start.

AZ finished better than I thought they would.
No prob and, yeah, the Bills are a great example of the importance of peaking at the right time. They roared out of the gate along with Detroit and I just kept thinking, Weren't these guys battling us and Carolina for the top pick last year? Let's see how long it lasts.... Detroit MAY be for real, but Buffalo clearly was not; without the AFC West they'd be in the running for the top pick this year, too.

AZ... the NFC West has been a garbage Division since... gosh, was it ever NOT a garbage Division? Used to make me nuts watching the '9ers cruise into the playoffs every year as the only good team in one of the only two 4 team Divisions, while Dallas had to duke it out with Parcells' Giants and Gibbs' Redskins, and Houston struggled for a wildcard because Schottenheimers Browns or Wyches Bengals always won the Division. That's not to say those '9ers teams weren't good, or that the current one isn't, but either might well be 10-6 in any other Division. Get to 10 wins in the NFCW and you can clinch by Turkey Day. :tongue:

DenBronx
01-02-2012, 11:14 PM

Yeah that's crazy an 8-8 team is 4th seed while the 12-4 Steelers are the 6th seed. The playoff system if goofy like that.

The AFCW is probably the weakest division right now.

TXBRONC
01-02-2012, 11:27 PM

Just because I believe we backed into the playoffs doesn't make me or anyone less of fan. I'm glad Denver's in but facts are facts we got in because the Raiders lost.

Joel
01-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Yeah that's crazy an 8-8 team is 4th seed while the 12-4 Steelers are the 6th seed. The playoff system if goofy like that.

The AFCW is probably the weakest division right now.
No, I'm pretty sure that honor goes to the AFC South or NFC West. ALL AFC West teams were in the playoff hunt down to week 16; that is NOT a weak Division by any means. The difference between first and last place? KCs blocked FG attempt at the end of regulation against Oakland; hit that kick and beating us last week would've made them AFC West Champs.

Or if Oakland had beaten SD last week, they'd be AFC West Champs.

Or if SD had beaten Detriot the previous week, they'd be AFC West Champs.

Since none of those things happened, we are.

It's a very competitive Division in which all teams can play their best game and beat any team in the League.

The AFC West, as a Division, is not great; no AFC West team is a title contender. However, the AFC West, as a Division, is not BAD; ALL AFC West teams are playoff contenders.

vettesplus
01-03-2012, 10:07 AM
If we backed in it's only becausethe rest of the division backed out.

and the broncos will follow by being backed out of the playoffs on sunday, reality check......steelers 38 broncos 9

flame me all you want... as i have said all along tt sucks the offensive coaching staff sucks along with "almost" all the offensive players.

BroncoJoe
01-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Fair enough, but you also have to consider that we beat the Dolphins and they didn't.

Our wins throughout the season counted just as much as the Raiders' losses.

TXBRONC
01-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Fair enough, but you also have to consider that we beat the Dolphins and they didn't.

Our wins throughout the season counted just as much as the Raiders' losses.

That's very true, but after we losing to the Chiefs all the Raiders had to do was beat the Chargers and they get in. That's why I think it's fair we backed into the playoffs.

I've also said that while it's not the way I wanted Denver to get into the playoffs I've still glad we have at least one more game.

MasterShake
01-03-2012, 12:40 PM
That's very true, but after we losing to the Chiefs all the Raiders had to do was beat the Chargers and they get in. That's why I think it's fair we backed into the playoffs.

I've also said that while it's not the way I wanted Denver to get into the playoffs I've still glad we have at least one more game.

Exactly. Just heard a sound bite from John Fox on the radio that its what you do once you get in. He brought up that the Saints had a three game skid into the playoffs the year they won the Super Bowl.

I'm not hoping for a Superbowl. I'm hoping for a win at home against the Steelers. I already see their fans popping in around town and its pissing me off. I don't want them even sniffing another shot at the Super Bowl, and I want us to be the ones that knock them out. No matter what, getting this young team some playoff experience will go a long way.

Nomad
01-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Sorry MS.....Fox is FOS trying to justify with this comparison:lol:. Saints were 13-0 at the time and could care less (and i don't agree with that mentality)if they won the last 3 games. BRONCOS were playing for their playoff lives and had to rely on a team to lose to get in because they couldn't take care of business.

In the end, it's not satisfying knowing how they got here having to rely on another team losing, but they are here so I hopefully they make the best of it...I believe we can/will agree on this.

TXBRONC
01-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Sorry MS.....Fox is FOS trying to justify with this comparison:lol:. Saints were 13-0 at the time and could care less (and i don't agree with that mentality)if they won the last 3 games. BRONCOS were playing for their playoff lives and had to rely on a team to lose to get in because they couldn't take care of business.

In the end, it's not satisfying knowing how they got here having to rely on another team losing, but they are here so I hopefully they make the best of it...I believe we can/will agree on this.

The comparison isn't completely wrong. What I take from it is that coaches don't want their teams going into the playoffs cold. It doesn't matter how well you started off. Look at the Colts they did that several times and it ended up biting them in the ass. But as you said once you're in make the best of it. :beer:

BroncoNut
01-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Amen, brother!

Thanks for the games last night. I need to work on my play! :shocked:

I hear that you suck