PDA

View Full Version : Since there's some question as to our QB position...

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2012, 12:05 AM
If the Broncos announced they were giving Brady Quinn the start vs Pittsburgh, what would be your reaction?

Northman
01-02-2012, 12:07 AM
I would be ok with it. I dont think we could do that much worse considering how Tim is playing right now. Maybe sitting down is the best thing for Tim. Or....start Quinn and go to Tebow in certain situations. Either way, something needs to happen to kickstart the offense.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Poll is up now.

jhildebrand
01-02-2012, 12:10 AM
I want Tebow to finish what he started. Quinn is more than likely gone. Tebow's earned this as much as any of the other starters. It was supposed to be an evaluation. Let's finish the evaluation.

EDIT: In fact, if Fox actually named Quinn the starter, I would call for his firing here and would boycott Dove Valley with a sign saying as much.

Nomad
01-02-2012, 12:13 AM
I want Tebow to finish what he started. Quinn is more than likely gone. Tebow's earned this as much as any of the other starters. It was supposed to be an evaluation. Let's finish the evaluation.

EDIT: In fact, if Fox actually named Quinn the starter, I would call for his firing here and would boycott Dove Valley with a sign saying as much.

yeah, I'd have to agree with letting Tebow finish it out.

I believe it'll be a shock if the BRONCOS win.

TXBRONC
01-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Tebow is going to start next Sunday unless something unforeseeable happens.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Tebow is going to start next Sunday unless something unforeseeable happens.

With all due respect TX, that wasn't the question. Hypothetically, would you want to see Quinn play this week to "see what he's got"?

RebelRocker
01-02-2012, 12:22 AM

To me, that makes absolutely NO sense, whatsoever. If a guy isn't playing well, you try something else.

Sounds like you WANT to lose this game next week. :coffee:

Northman
01-02-2012, 12:25 AM

Unfortuantely, while i wanted Tebow to start and get evaluated i never expected to have a shot in the playoffs. For me, now its about playing the best football possible and right now Tim isnt playing at a high level like he was a few weeks back. Something needs to be shaken up, its nothing personal to Tim but the offense needs a boost. I dont think it would be a bad move to get Tim to focus back on improving by playing Quinn.

jhildebrand
01-02-2012, 12:32 AM
To me, that makes absolutely NO sense, whatsoever. If a guy isn't playing well, you try something else.

Sounds like you WANT to lose this game next week. :coffee:

How does it not make sense? :confused: The pro orton crowd already used similar arguments with great success.

The reality is this team is in this position in part because of Tim Tebow! If you start Quinn now, Fox might lose the locker room ;)

sneakers
01-02-2012, 12:33 AM
WIN WITH QUINN

Yeah!

BroncoStud
01-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Quinn won't start and shouldn't start. Tebow got us here, whether some like to admit it or not he was a BIG part of those wins. He's struggling right now but he has played well this year.

Our lack of a screen-game and short passing game kills us, absolutely kills us.

Northman
01-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Quinn won't start and shouldn't start. Tebow got us here, whether some like to admit it or not he was a BIG part of those wins. He's struggling right now but he has played well this year.

Tim has been a part but not the only part. And he is struggling bigtime right now.

jhildebrand
01-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Tim has been a part but not the only part. And he is struggling bigtime right now.

But Fox wont risk losing the Locker Room in starting Brady Quinn. ;)

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2012, 12:45 AM
I, believe it or not, would support the FO if they wanted to start Quinn this week. Worst case, he sucks and we switch back to Tebow at halftime. Best case, he completes more than 6/20 and we win the game.

We're in the playoffs now and I'm a Broncos fan first and foremost. If the FO made the call that it was the right move, I'd support it. Every playoff team is 0-0 starting now. Fresh start on the post season.

As a fan, it's not really my interest to see the FO be nice or fair. I want to win. I didn't shed a tear when Lloyd was traded or when Orton was shown the door. I like certain players, but I don't play favorites. I really like Tebow... a lot... and I really hope he becomes a QB on the field that matches the type of guy he is off of it, but not even he is immune to the bench if he's playing poorly.

Honestly though, I really think it would be shocking to see Quinn trying to run our passing game. I'm not talking the read option, I'm talking about a passing game that averages 3 WRs in the route and nobody closer than 10 yards to the LOS. I think he would fail, too. I think it would be interesting to see what a "true pocket passer" would do with these WRs and this O-line.

UnderArmour
01-02-2012, 12:46 AM

I wish the coaching staff would help him out with some screens and short passes instead of this run, run, attempt to go deep/QB draw then punt crap. Either way, ugh. Never thought I'd see the day when the Broncos would hold a team to 7 points and still lose or go 8-8 and make the playoffs.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2012, 12:47 AM
WIN WITH QUINN

Yeah!

I forgot to mention that your vote doesn't count sneakers because we all know you're totally gay for the guy and regardless of how he plays you'd vote for him...

:D

jhildebrand
01-02-2012, 12:48 AM
I, believe it or not, would support the FO if they wanted to start Quinn this week. Worst case, he sucks and we switch back to Tebow at halftime. Best case, he completes more than 6/20 and we win the game.

We're in the playoffs now and I'm a Broncos fan first and foremost. If the FO made the call that it was the right move, I'd support it. Every playoff team is 0-0 starting now. Fresh start on the post season.

As a fan, it's not really my interest to see the FO be nice or fair. I want to win. I didn't shed a tear when Lloyd was traded or when Orton was shown the door. I like certain players, but I don't play favorites. I really like Tebow... a lot... and I really hope he becomes a QB on the field that matches the type of guy he is off of it, but not even he is immune to the bench if he's playing poorly.

Honestly though, I really think it would be shocking to see Quinn trying to run our passing game. I'm not talking the read option, I'm talking about a passing game that averages 3 WRs in the route and nobody closer than 10 yards to the LOS. I think he would fail, too. I think it would be interesting to see what a "true pocket passer" would do with these WRs and this O-line.

The problem is this sends a bad message to the vets and possible FA's. It sends the message that you might not be allowed to finish what you started.

It also creates the issue that Quinn, say he wins a game or two, may force the FO's hand in giving him an extension on what very well may be a fluke!

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2012, 12:49 AM

I completely agree, which is why I'd like to see how a "real pocket passer" could do in McCoy's scheme. Is it Tebow, or is it McCoy?

Northman
01-02-2012, 12:50 AM
The problem is this sends a bad message to the vets and possible FA's. It sends the message that you might not be allowed to finish what you started.

It also creates the issue that Quinn, say he wins a game or two, may force the FO's hand in giving him an extension on what very well may be a fluke!

Actually, in this case it doesnt send a bad message. We saw that after Orton got benched. In the end its about winning ballgames and if the guy who is QBing isnt getting the job done than you go with a guy who could spark the team. As for an extension i doubt it, in the end Tebow is a young Qb and not the bonafide starter yet so its still anyone's game.

Nomad
01-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Neither QB gives me much confidence.....hell, let's throw Weber's name in there and give him his shot.

It'll be up to the run game, defense, and special teams perhaps the QB will get lucky.

Northman
01-02-2012, 12:52 AM
I wish the coaching staff would help him out with some screens and short passes instead of this run, run, attempt to go deep/QB draw then punt crap. Either way, ugh. Never thought I'd see the day when the Broncos would hold a team to 7 points and still lose or go 8-8 and make the playoffs.

On the flipside, i wish Tebow could hit a out pattern.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2012, 12:56 AM

I dunno. The way Champ looked and sounded today after the game, I think he's hoping for some help from the offense to score some points and not go 3 and out all the time. The defense did their job today. They surrendered 7 points. It's hard to ask more than that. Our offense had the ball past mid-field 4 times and it resulted in 3 points and 3 punts.

Part of my reasoning behind this is to see if people think it's a McCoy problem or a Tebow problem. I think it would be very telling if Quinn, a 5 year vet now, would do any better than Tebow in the passing game. Even more so, would McCoy alter the passing playbook to include designed rollouts, screens, slants, and crossing routes.

jhildebrand
01-02-2012, 12:56 AM
On the flipside, i wish Tebow could hit a out pattern.

I wish Tebow would agree to play TE. Maybe we could sign Brandstater for the POs. Is he available?

topscribe
01-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Quinn can actually pass the ball.

I'm not saying it will happen, but I wouldn't be terribly shocked to see Quinn
step in if Tebow continues not to get anywhere, and, considering the Steelers'
defense, that is entirely possible. This is the playoffs, after all: You lose, and
it's wait 'til next year . . .

Northman
01-02-2012, 12:58 AM
I wish Tebow would agree to play TE. Maybe we could sign Brandstater for the POs. Is he available?

Nah, im not that bad. This isnt about Tebow not being able to improve but i think his head is a bad place right now and he is having difficulty getting out of a funk.

Northman
01-02-2012, 01:00 AM
I dunno. The way Champ looked and sounded today after the game, I think he's hoping for some help from the offense to score some points and not go 3 and out all the time. The defense did their job today. They surrendered 7 points. It's hard to ask more than that. Our offense had the ball past mid-field 4 times and it resulted in 3 points and 3 punts.

Part of my reasoning behind this is to see if people think it's a McCoy problem or a Tebow problem. I think it would be very telling if Quinn, a 5 year vet now, would do any better than Tebow in the passing game. Even more so, would McCoy alter the passing playbook to include designed rollouts, screens, slants, and crossing routes.

Yea, Champ looked like a man beaten down. That was the worst ive ever seen him after a loss.

BORDERLINE
01-02-2012, 01:00 AM
Without Tebow we would not be in this position even with 3 straight loses.

Need I remind you we where 1-4 before Tebow took over. Looking to get into the Luck sweepstakes. Now we all get to watch a extra game and maybe something special happens who knows

jhildebrand
01-02-2012, 01:01 AM

Quinn playing wont answer any of the is it Tebow or McCoy questions. You said it yourself. He is a 5 year vet. If he was going to "get it" he would have by now. Have you forgotten his last PS game? :confused:

This staff real blunder wasn't resting McGahee and Dawkins longer when they clearly could have afforded to.

igoe4broncos
01-02-2012, 01:07 AM
This team started well after Tebow took over. I know he has struggled as of late, but the team believes in him. Making a change at this point would be pretty clueless and would lose most of, if not all of the team IMO.

We live or die with Tebow at this point.

Joel
01-02-2012, 01:15 AM
I think we should start the guy we expect to be the teams long term QB. I would be very surprised if Quinn's a Bronco next year; I believe he thinks he's a starter and will try to go some place that could happen. So starting Quinn would just be giving some other teams potential QB valuable playoff experience.

I think you dance with the one who brung ya, and that's Tim Tebow. The playoff experience, even if it's mostly negative, is more likely to benefit the Broncos if given to him rather than Quinn, and it's one more piece of data, the most valuable one, for the evaluation process. If he curls up in the fetal position facing the Steelers rush, that tells us something we need to know. If he grits his teeth, shrugs off the last three weeks of garbage and has another amazing game, that also tells us something we need to know. Starting Quinn only tells whoever signs him next how much they should pay him.

Joel
01-02-2012, 01:27 AM
I completely agree, which is why I'd like to see how a "real pocket passer" could do in McCoy's scheme. Is it Tebow, or is it McCoy?
Unless Quinn had a record setting day (throwing the dozen or so passes Fox would allow) it wouldn't tell us anything; even if he went 4/20 for 40 yds with 0 TDs and 3 picks people would just say it's because he's been on the bench and hasn't played McCoys system much in games. Which would be largely true. All the pat defences of Tebow would be trotted out; he's been on the bench and doesn't have a rhythm yet, he doesn't work out with the first team so he lacks a rapport with the receivers etc.

I like the idea in principle, could get behind on Halloween, but the playoffs are the wrong place for that experiment. Let Tebow mature with a playoff game, and let our young offense mature with him as QB.

Northman
01-02-2012, 01:47 AM
I think we should start the guy we expect to be the teams long term QB.

We still dont know who that is at this point.

bcbronc
01-02-2012, 02:24 AM
I'd support a move to Quinn if it happened, but I don't expect it will and I'm not calling for it. But yeah, the coaches are more in tune with the team so I'd support the move if it happened.

Could be a wrinkle Pitt doesn't game plan for, giving Quinn a few series. I think we'll sink or swim with Tebow though.

NameUsedBefore
01-02-2012, 02:50 AM
Every single one of you saying Quinn should start is a moron.

1) Tebow is pretty much why we are in the playoffs. It was ugly, but winning. As opposed to ugly, but losing. You know, what we were doing before Tebow started.

2) The Denver run-offense, which is the Denver offense, disappears without Tebow.

3) Nobody would respect the passing of Quinn. He is unwilling to go downfield. When he goes downfield it's an interception. When it's an interception he completely unravels. When he gets sacked he unravels. When he plays from behind he unravels. He has no leadership qualities to carry a team on his shoulders.

4) Do you realize how bad Quinn sucks as a QB right now? I'm a big fan of Quinn. I think one day he will show up as a late-Tommy Maddox for one team or another and do alright. He's got the talent and one day his mental game will catch up. Not now. You play him against the Steelers and it will be a horror show, guaranteed.

Sure, I bet Tebow gets squashed, but I also would bet he's our best chance to win. By far. And that kinda says a lot about everyone.

BroncoBJ
01-02-2012, 02:53 AM
Wheres the option for " Support it, but still thinks its the wrong decision and wish Tebow was starting" ?? Cause thats what I'd choose. I'd root for Brady, but I'd still wish Tebow was the guy.

Joel
01-02-2012, 03:29 AM
We still dont know who that is at this point.
We know who we EXPECT to be the long term QB, and it isn't Brady Quinn. For good or ill, the only realistic chance of that was if we'd put him when we benched Orton. That didn't happen and he's almost certainly moving on next year; starting him for ONE playoff game won't change that. Had it been my call at the time, I'd have put Quinn in then, but it wasn't, we didn't, and that ship has sailed.

Nick
01-02-2012, 05:40 AM
I would be totally excited if I saw Weber come in but it is not going to happen. The fact is if Tebow does not hit those open receivers in the playoffs and if he drops the ball for moving around like a chickens head caught off and get touched, he is going to have competition next year.

I understand him lagging on his progressions, him moving his head around and keeping it up field was a big improvement but he needs to throw the ball right away instead of pondering about it for 3 seconds.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-02-2012, 09:34 AM
This turned out about the way I expected. The majority still supports Tebow, but the list of folks who are losing patience with him is also starting to grow. The original skeptics are even more skeptical.

A lot of people seem to have taken this as a "who should we start vs Pittsburgh" poll. It's not. It's a "If the FO came out and named Quinn the starter, would you support it" poll.

I still think Tebow should start, as many have said, dance with the one that brought you, but if they named Quinn the starter vs Pittsburgh I'd support it based on Tebow's play of late. Had McGahee put the ball on the ground 6 times in the past 2 weeks, I wouldn't be surprised to see him lose the starting job. I think it would also be interesting to see another QB operate in our offense. One who doesn't have designed runs and read-options called specifically for him.

This thread was more about "do you trust and support the FO" than "do you still support Tebow". The FO made good enough decisions to lead us to a division championship and back to the playoffs (no matter how it happened, we're here now). I would trust their judgement in this matter.

For me, I guess it's more about giving the vets like Champ and McGahee, guys who won't be around forever but have played very hard for us to get where we are, a legit chance at a ring.

Honestly, I think what this team needs most is to fix the offensive play calling. When most of us can call the plays from the couch before they happen, it's not about execution anymore. It's very hard to execute your game plan when the defense knows exactly what is coming.

BroncoJoe
01-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Now is not the time to make a QB change.

EDIT: After reading the post quoted below, I'll answer the question asked.

I have and will continue to support the Broncos: Players, FO, Owner, Trainer, Waterboy, etc. They know a hell of a lot more than me or anyone else on this board, and if they choose to make that decision I will support it.

Northman
01-02-2012, 11:34 AM
This turned out about the way I expected. The majority still supports Tebow, but the list of folks who are losing patience with him is also starting to grow. The original skeptics are even more skeptical.

A lot of people seem to have taken this as a "who should we start vs Pittsburgh" poll. It's not. It's a "If the FO came out and named Quinn the starter, would you support it" poll.

I still think Tebow should start, as many have said, dance with the one that brought you, but if they named Quinn the starter vs Pittsburgh I'd support it based on Tebow's play of late. Had McGahee put the ball on the ground 6 times in the past 2 weeks, I wouldn't be surprised to see him lose the starting job. I think it would also be interesting to see another QB operate in our offense. One who doesn't have designed runs and read-options called specifically for him.

This thread was more about "do you trust and support the FO" than "do you still support Tebow". The FO made good enough decisions to lead us to a division championship and back to the playoffs (no matter how it happened, we're here now). I would trust their judgement in this matter.

For me, I guess it's more about giving the vets like Champ and McGahee, guys who won't be around forever but have played very hard for us to get where we are, a legit chance at a ring.

Honestly, I think what this team needs most is to fix the offensive play calling. When most of us can call the plays from the couch before they happen, it's not about execution anymore. It's very hard to execute your game plan when the defense knows exactly what is coming.

Exactly.

Fullback32
01-02-2012, 11:43 AM
IF they started Quinn, I'd be behind them as always. Though I am no Tebow fan as I still believe he is not and never will be an NFL caliber QB, starting someone else at this point would be even more disruptive. Quinn has taken little to no snaps this year and the offense would have to be significantly changed to fit his style. If they wanted to find out what they had in Quinn, they should have done that much earlier in the season and not decided to do so in the playoffs. Finish it out with Tebow.

SM19
01-02-2012, 02:34 PM
A little of the second option, and a little of the third. Brady Quinn is not going to win this game for us, and getting him up to speed is more trouble than it's worth because he won't be around next year anyway. Tim Tebow is not going to win this game for us either, but we might as well let him finish out the season and get one more chance to show that he's salvageable.

Joel
01-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Fox is a DC, not a head coach. I know folks want to blame McCoy, but when asked about our offensive game plan, FOX is the one who's said all year we'll decide our offensive plays by "adjusting" to opposing defences. McCoy wouldn't say that, because OCs know what Fox evidently does not: DEFENCES react; offenses set, not follow, tempo. I can't blame McCoy too much for the misfortune of being OC under two consecutive coaches who are offensively clueless. Fox does not comprehend offense and expects his defence to win games, notwithstanding NFL rules that have so hamstrung defence that offensive records are dropping like flies.

So it doesn't matter if we have McCoy and Tebow or Kubiak and Manning; as long as Fox is in charge our offense will be in the same perpetual doldrums Carolinas always were.

I Eat Staples
01-02-2012, 05:13 PM
A few weeks ago I would have been pissed because Tebow was showing good development. But now I'd welcome the move. This is the playoffs, you have to put it all on the line and do what it takes to win. At this point, Quinn probably gives us a better chance.

I don't know why Tebow regressed so badly, but he looked even worse than in his first start. Quinn can't possibly play any worse than Tebow did this week.