PDA

View Full Version : OK so now where are we at in cap room?

Superchop 7
02-18-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm lost....if anybody has this figured out....let me know.

jrelway
02-18-2009, 03:58 PM
i think after the bly release, i read that we free'd up about 28 mil in cap space.

Cugel
02-18-2009, 04:03 PM
At this point you shouldn't worry about it. The cap will be in WILD flux from day to day until after the FA signing period, then you can look at where they are.

But, any numbers released now will be misleading.

For instance, the Broncos just took a $2.6 million cap hit to cut Dre Bly.

But, at the same time: "agreeing to change essentially one word in his contract, linebacker D.J. Williams (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11726624)provided the Broncos with $3.6 million in salary cap relief for the 2009 season."

Meanwhile, both Casey Weigman and Brandon Marshall's agents are intent on doing new contracts since both are in their final year and Weigman isn't being paid starter money when he is a starter.

So, both those contracts are likely to be re-done quite soon, at least Marshalls will be unless they want him to become the highest priced FA next season and walk off into a $50 million+ contract for some other team and causing Jay Cutler to have a fit at losing his best WR.

These numbers will change before the start of FA.

Among the Broncos expected to receive their respective roster bonuses due by March 2 are cornerback Champ Bailey ($2 million), guard Ben Hamilton ($500,000) and wide receiver Brandon Stokley ($500,000).

So, whatever the cap figure is you can deduct $3 million from it to account for roster bonuses that will soon be paid.
It's clear though that the Broncos are NOT in a position to offer crazy money to sign Peppers or Haynesworth (if either of them even BECOME FAs). They are going to look at

Superchop 7
02-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks Cug, with the June 1 cuts gone......misunderstanding on Robertson contract .....etc....etc....etc.......not sure where we were at.

Lonestar
02-18-2009, 05:01 PM
actually I seem to remember that Weigmann only signed a one year contract when he came on board last year.. Makes him a FA IIRC

Still we will get a bunch of second tier FA. I do not see a HUGE Peppers or hanesworth type that has a huge signing bonus..

BTW someone mentioned that typically 14 players turn over each year on the rosters..

While that may be true I do not think 7-10 are usually starters..

Requiem / The Dagda
02-18-2009, 05:14 PM
The Broncos could get Haynesworth or Peppers if they wanted to. They have that cash.

Lonestar
02-18-2009, 05:22 PM
The Broncos could get Hanesworth or Peppers if they wanted to. They have that cash.

Just because they have the cap room does not mean they have the cash for signing bonuses..

Lest you forget the almost 10 mil that the old coaching staff gets this year.. not counting the roster bonuses due soon for a lot of the offensive players..

Mikey wasted alot of cash over the past 10 years signing mostly failed FA's..

Just because we have a new FO in town does not mean Pat is quite ready to blow it all in the next two weeks .. I think it will be spread around to a bunch of players instead of getting another Robertsons deal where some one is worth 9-15 mil per year..

Just will have to wait and see..

Ziggy
02-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Weigman signed a 2 year deal when he came aboard last season.

Cugel
02-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Weigman signed a 2 year deal when he came aboard last season.

Yes, but he's getting backup money, something like $800,000 for the season, NOT starting C money. Naturally, he wants a raise and will retire if he doesn't get it.

The Broncos were in negotiations with his agent when Jim Goodman got fired, so Xanders will have to start all over and decide what they're willing to offer.

But, it would be stupid to cut him or refuse to give him a decent amount of money. They're paying Jarvis Moss 3 times that much and he's not even a starter.

It would cost about as much to sign a FA to take Weigman's place and that guy wouldn't be a pro-bowl alternate either!

Xanders is quite likely to work something out where Weigman gets between $1.5 - $2 million for the season, perhaps most could be a signing bonus on a two or 3 year contract that would reduce the cap hit.

Next year, the Broncos won't be carrying $16 million in dead-cap space from the Shanahan era FA busts.

In retrospect it appears that Shanahan was desperately throwing everything at the wall and expecting something to stick. He didn't ever seem to understand how to manage his salary cap. The Broncos always had too much dead-cap space - money going out to players not even on the roster anymore.

I remember he kept a roster spot open for Terrell Davis for 3 years after his injury just for cap reasons -- it would cost too much to cut him and they were always right up against the cap.

Fan in Exile
02-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Yes, but he's getting backup money, something like $800,000 for the season, NOT starting C money. Naturally, he wants a raise and will retire if he doesn't get it.

The Broncos were in negotiations with his agent when Jim Goodman got fired, so Xanders will have to start all over and decide what they're willing to offer.

But, it would be stupid to cut him or refuse to give him a decent amount of money. They're paying Jarvis Moss 3 times that much and he's not even a starter.

It would cost about as much to sign a FA to take Weigman's place and that guy wouldn't be a pro-bowl alternate either!

Xanders is quite likely to work something out where Weigman gets between $1.5 - $2 million for the season, perhaps most could be a signing bonus on a two or 3 year contract that would reduce the cap hit.

Next year, the Broncos won't be carrying $16 million in dead-cap space from the Shanahan era FA busts.

In retrospect it appears that Shanahan was desperately throwing everything at the wall and expecting something to stick. He didn't ever seem to understand how to manage his salary cap. The Broncos always had too much dead-cap space - money going out to players not even on the roster anymore.

I remember he kept a roster spot open for Terrell Davis for 3 years after his injury just for cap reasons -- it would cost too much to cut him and they were always right up against the cap.

Just out of curiosity how much dead cap space do teams normally have? If you don't know but you're confident that good teams are better at it than we are you don't have to respond.

DenBronx
02-19-2009, 12:17 AM
weigman might get a 2 year deal that doubles his current salary. thats nothing! 1.5 mill isnt even going to put a dent in our cap after saving at least 25 mill in cap room the past couple of days. we are close to 56 mill in cap room. by dj restructuring it washed out dre blys cap hit and still left enough to swallow a new deal for casey.

we had approx 34 mill in cap room before all of this took place. 22 mill was created with robertson, engleberger, winborn ect. and then there was the restructuring of dj.

DenBronx
02-19-2009, 12:23 AM
dont be suprised to see graham asked to restructure too.

MOtorboat
02-19-2009, 12:24 AM
dont be suprised to see graham asked to restructure too.

Graham, honestly, is probably the next possible cut, especially if he doesn't restructure.

DenBronx
02-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Graham, honestly, is probably the next possible cut, especially if he doesn't restructure.

i dont see mckid wanting to cut graham especially since they are familiar with each other in the new england days. but i do see him restructuring soon.

MOtorboat
02-19-2009, 12:30 AM
i dont see mckid wanting to cut graham especially since they are familiar with each other in the new england days. but i do see him restructuring soon.

Damn good point, but that's one large contract for a red zone option, when you have Scheffler sitting there, and that you have three solid receivers also on the roster, and a very good, young offensive line...that's a very expendable contract at this point.

Getting rid of that contract might free up even more money in the free agency realm.

The more salary cap relief, the better...we need some defense. And, keep in mind, we need to make some room to sign some of our young guys next year, on offense.

DenBronx
02-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Damn good point, but that's one large contract for a red zone option, when you have Scheffler sitting there, and that you have three solid receivers also on the roster, and a very good, young offensive line...that's a very expendable contract at this point.

Getting rid of that contract might free up even more money in the free agency realm.

The more salary cap relief, the better...we need some defense. And, keep in mind, we need to make some room to sign some of our young guys next year, on offense.

well, they just gutted our defense. the draft alone will barely fix half of the mess. i see alot of defensive free agents being brought in. maybe one or two big names but mostly all 2nd tier guys that fit the right scheme.

but when you look at grahams contract and you look at marshalls its like it should almost be flipped. marshall deserves the money graham is getting. i dont even think graham is our best tight end, sheffler is. i do like grahams ability in the running game and protecting the quarter back. i'm sure m-kid is very well aware of it.

MOtorboat
02-19-2009, 12:48 AM
well, they just gutted our defense. the draft alone will barely fix half of the mess. i see alot of defensive free agents being brought in. maybe one or two big names but mostly all 2nd tier guys that fit the right scheme.

Exactly why he's expendable.

DenBronx
02-19-2009, 12:57 AM
These two reports confirm we saved over 30 mill in cap room in the past couple of days. I just have a feeling we're not done either.

Broncos released CB Dre' Bly.

That's five defensive starters axed in two days. Including Monday's cuts, Denver has saved over $28 million against the salary cap. Bly was due $3.25 million in 2009 with a $6.5 cap charge, but he was a bust after the Broncos traded for him two years ago, getting burnt relentlessly one on one. Turning 32 this spring, Bly will be hard pressed to find a starting job as a free agent.
Source: Denver Post

D.J. Williams reworked his contract to provide the Broncos with $3.6 million in cap relief.

Williams had a $4.5 million roster bonus due March 2, but it's now being converted to a signing bonus prorated over the length of the contract. The club is now over $30M in cap savings this week.Source: Denver Post

SmilinAssasSin27
02-19-2009, 12:58 AM
This is insane. Never have I seen this complete of an overhaul. And there may still be more cuts or trades. I love this shit.

Buff
02-19-2009, 12:59 AM

He is well paid, and maybe slightly less valued in the McDaniels system... But the dude's coming off of a career year. He's always been a good blocker, and last season he finally lived up to some of his potential in the passing game. Scheffler's always hurt... We just cut Mustard and Jackson (not that either would be a huge factor in the decision anyway.) And we're not hurting for cap space. Why create one more hole in the depth chart?

DenBronx
02-19-2009, 01:02 AM
This is insane. Never have I seen this complete of an overhaul. And there may still be more cuts or trades. I love this shit.

me neither. i cant recall us ever having so much cap space and its still early. our front office is off to a very good start. i love it! they are keeping the guys i wanted to stay on defense too.

cant wait till the 27th!!!!!!!

MOtorboat
02-19-2009, 01:02 AM
He is well paid, and maybe slightly less valued in the McDaniels system... But the dude's coming off of a career year. He's always been a good blocker, and last season he finally lived up to some of his potential in the passing game. Scheffler's always hurt... We just cut Mustard and Jackson (not that either would be a huge factor in the decision anyway.) And we're not hurting for cap space. Why create one more hole in the depth chart?

It was an average year, not a career year.

With the number of wide receivers that McDaniels has used in the past, having one tight end, and maybe a late-round draft pick, wouldn't surprise me.

Letting go of Graham would certainly not be a hole on the depth chart, at all.

DenBronx
02-19-2009, 01:06 AM

With the number of wide receivers that McDaniels has used in the past, having one tight end, and maybe a late-round draft pick, wouldn't surprise me.

letting graham go would be a mistake unless were targeting pettigrew in the 1st round. he did all of the little things you dont notice and that counts. he is a solid guy in the locker room too. all he needs to do is spread his money out a little better. i think it was between 8-10 mill cap hit last year.

MOtorboat
02-19-2009, 01:09 AM
letting graham go would be a mistake unless were targeting pettigrew in the 1st round. he did all of the little things you dont notice and that counts. he is a solid guy in the locker room too. all he needs to do is spread his money out a little better. i think it was between 8-10 mill cap hit last year.

A.) 32 catches, 389 yards, 4 touchdowns...

B.) A first-rounder better get more than that, especially in this offense.

C.) Contract still expendable, considering Scheffler is already sitting there.

Scheffler's 40 catches for 645 yards in 13 games makes Graham and his ridiculously large contract truly expendable.

As a CU fan, I would love of Graham agreed to restructure, but even restructuring, he may not be worth it to this team.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-19-2009, 01:11 AM
I agree he is overpaid, but his value to Cutler cannot be underestimated. He is a safety net in the passing game and is a tremendous blocker...something that doesn't show in the stat sheet.

Buff
02-19-2009, 01:14 AM

Ok, so I pulled career year out of my ass... But my point is still valid.

As it stands, TE is one of the few positions of strength on the team, along with OT and arguably WR. Every team needs at least 2 TE's that can contribute, plus Graham's a captain and a well respected dude in the locker room. They've got enough on their plates without looking for a new TE.

DenBronx
02-19-2009, 01:16 AM

As it stands, TE is one of the few positions of strength on the team, along with OT and arguably WR. Every team needs at least 2 TE's that can contribute, plus Graham's a captain and a well respected dude in the locker room. They've got enough on their plates without looking for a new TE.

agreed. that just leaves us with one more gaping hole to fill.

MOtorboat
02-19-2009, 01:18 AM

Backup tight end does not equal "gaping hole"

DenBronx
02-19-2009, 01:19 AM
Backup tight end does not equal "gaping hole"

i think you have graham confused with chad mustard. he was already cut so you have no worries now mate.

WARHORSE
02-19-2009, 06:01 AM
Ok, so I pulled career year out of my ass...

His butt?

fcspikeit
02-19-2009, 06:50 AM

This isn't about rather or not his play warrants keeping him, as much as it's about does his play warrant keeping him at the price we are paying him?

IMO, Graham really isn't any better a TE then Bly was a CB.. Both are one dimensional at their positions and both were/are overpaid.

I'm just saying, we could get the contribution he's giving from someone else who we would have to pay a lot less..

Fan in Exile
02-19-2009, 08:11 AM
Graham is why better than Bly was. I don't understand all the people who think Scheffler is as good as Graham, or that he could replace him. Have you seen his blocking? It's his blocking that let's us move Tony around and use him as a weapon. If it weren't for that Scheffler wouldn't be a passing threat and wouldn't have gotten those catches and yards. SOme of his stats belong to Graham. Seriously.

Ziggy
02-19-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm torn on this one. When given the opportunity, Graham has shown to be a very capable receiver. He didn't get the chance 2 years ago because he was asked to babysit the tackles, and did it as well as anyone in the NFL. The effect it had on Cutler's development may be a lot greater than we know. That being said, I wouldn't call him a game changer at this point in his career. His leadership and character in the locker room may more than make up for that in the coaches minds though. Is he worth what he's getting paid? I can't really say, but I'll trust the judgement of coach McD and X-Man this time.

broncosinindy
02-19-2009, 09:35 AM
A.) 32 catches, 389 yards, 4 touchdowns...

B.) A first-rounder better get more than that, especially in this offense.

C.) Contract still expendable, considering Scheffler is already sitting there.

Scheffler's 40 catches for 645 yards in 13 games makes Graham and his ridiculously large contract truly expendable.

As a CU fan, I would love of Graham agreed to restructure, but even restructuring, he may not be worth it to this team.
Man when you evaluate TE's you cannot just look at the catches. Graham was VERY VERY important as a in line blocker. was in valuable with clady in the early part of the season, tell they took the training wheels off. that is when he started producing as a recieving threat.