PDA

View Full Version : DJ Restructures Bonus Money

Ziggy
02-18-2009, 07:42 AM
D.J.'s new deal helps with cap
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 02/18/2009 12:30:00 AM MST

Broncos linebacker D.J. Williams had a $4.5 million roster bonus due March 2 that was converted into a more salary cap-friendly signing bonus, money guaranteed. (Getty Images)By agreeing to change essentially one word in his contract, linebacker D.J. Williams provided the Broncos with $3.6 million in salary cap relief for the 2009 season.

In return, Williams was rewarded with the peace of mind that came when his bonus was transferred from possibility to certainty.

This is what the business side of sports calls a win-win.

Williams' $4.5 million roster bonus due by March 2 was converted into a signing bonus. Signing bonuses, unlike roster bonuses, can be prorated over the length of a contract, or five years in Williams' case.

The prorated portion of Williams' signing bonus comes out to $900,000 a year. There was no reason for Williams to hesitate over the change in contract language because his

Contracts could become a major order of business this week as the Broncos send their new management team of coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders to the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. The combine begins today and runs through Tuesday.

Besides Williams' revised deal, the agents for center Casey Wiegmann and wide receiver Brandon Marshall are hoping the Broncos will be amenable to discussing contract extensions this week in Indianapolis. Wiegmann, who is to receive the veteran minimum $845,000 salary in 2009, and Marshall, who is scheduled to make $2.2 million, are in the final years of their contracts.

There had been preliminary discussions between their agents and Broncos executives Jim and Jeff Goodman, but the Goodmans were dismissed last week. Talks would have to begin anew with Xanders.

Financial commitments are part of every player evaluation, as was the case Monday when the Broncos cut six veterans, including defensive starters Dewayne Robertson, John Engelberger, Marquand Manuel and Jamie Winborn. The cuts generated $22.2 million in cap savings — $16 million from Robertson alone.

The Broncos may also be facing a decision on outside linebacker Boss Bailey, who is due a $2 million roster bonus in early March. Bailey played well when healthy last season but suffered a season-ending injury in Week 7.

Among the Broncos expected to receive their respective roster bonuses due by March 2 are cornerback Champ Bailey ($2 million), guard Ben Hamilton ($500,000) and wide receiver Brandon Stokley ($500,000).

For those who thought DJ might be out the door, it's not looking that way.

Dirk
02-18-2009, 07:45 AM
DJ....Team player....'nuff said. :salute:

Den21vsBal19
02-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Good on him :salute:

CoachChaz
02-18-2009, 08:10 AM
I'll still be interested to see how he fits into a 3-4

broncofaninfla
02-18-2009, 08:35 AM
Good for him. I'm guessing he will be one of our starting ILB's...

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-18-2009, 08:43 AM
I'll still be interested to see how he fits into a 3-4

he could play strong side too.

Rick
02-18-2009, 08:49 AM
He had 106 solo, 141 total tackles, as the MLB so I don't see why he won't succeed at ILB in a 3-4.

That was without anyone up front of him pretty much at all and in his first year there.

Lets see what he can do in the middle when/if we actually find a true(talented) line in front of him to occupy blockers.

Personally I am more interested to see where/if Woodyard fits in on the defense as I think DJ will be fine.

TXBRONC
02-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Honestly, I can't recall anything that ever said D.J. might be cut loose. At any rate, I think this shows that D.J. is a team player.

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-18-2009, 08:56 AM
I just want a linebacker that can cover gates and the other TE's that burn us.

Fan in Exile
02-18-2009, 09:04 AM
I've hit upon the real reason that Shanny was fired. Pat has a secret plot to move DJ to every line backing position known to man and Shanny wouldn't switch to the 3-4 so he had to go. Now we're switching to the 3-4 so that there are that many more positions for him to play.

It all makes perfect sense to me now, even the Dre Bly cut. Pat didn't want them to have to draft Rey, because he would have secured the other ILB spot. Larsen will get it now, but he won't succeed, because they'll spike his Gatorade if they have to. DJ will move over next year. Then he'll start bulking up and have to be moved outside. Eventually Nolan will get fired because the defense will still suck, and they'll bring in other guys to run more and more exotic schemes like a 1-1-9 and a 2-1-8.

IT'S GOING TO BE EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CoachChaz
02-18-2009, 09:06 AM
He had 106 solo, 141 total tackles, as the MLB so I don't see why he won't succeed at ILB in a 3-4.

That was without anyone up front of him pretty much at all and in his first year there.

Lets see what he can do in the middle when/if we actually find a true(talented) line in front of him to occupy blockers.

Personally I am more interested to see where/if Woodyard fits in on the defense as I think DJ will be fine.

This equates to praising a safety for leading a team in tackles. If that happens, then you know players are being tackled 10 yards downfield. When DJ played MLB, the same thing happened.

Rick
02-18-2009, 09:09 AM
I would prefer to see what happens after he actually has a line in front of him.

It is talked often about him making tackles down field but is that his fault or is it the line?

And to me...on this defense...anyone that actually has the ability to make a tackle whether it be 5 yards deep or at the line is a plus...

Get a line in front of him and maybe those tackles are at the line.

TXBRONC
02-18-2009, 09:50 AM
This equates to praising a safety for leading a team in tackles. If that happens, then you know players are being tackled 10 yards downfield. When DJ played MLB, the same thing happened.

Not necessarily does it equate to making tackles 10 yards down field. First of all we know that the defensive line couldn't stop fly paper over that last two years, which means running backs were not getting bottled up at the line of scrimage. Also Ray Lewis consistantly gets 100 plus tackles per year on consistent basis on very good defense.

Krugan
02-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Meh, he didnt do anything any smart buisness man wouldnt do. He just traded in one lump payday for monies over several years.

Nothing special here, other than Denver is on the line for him abit longer.

I dont see the love for DJ, great athelete, mediocre football player.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Good for DJ, now that gives us what. . . 28.6 million or so now. Nice.

NightTrainLayne
02-18-2009, 11:39 AM
Meh, he didnt do anything any smart buisness man wouldnt do. He just traded in one lump payday for monies over several years.

As I understand it, he still gets the money in a lump sum, but since it's now called a signing bonus we get to prorate it over the life of the contract. It didn't change his payday one bit, other than now the money is guaranteed and we can be sure the team won't be cutting him.

TXBRONC
02-18-2009, 11:48 AM
As I understand it, he still gets the money in a lump sum, but since it's now called a signing bonus we get to prorate it over the life of the contract. It didn't change his payday one bit, other than now the money is guaranteed and we can be sure the team won't be cutting him.

It also means they think of him as more than a mediocre player.

Buff
02-18-2009, 11:48 AM

Except he was a linebacker and not a safety... I don't follow this logic.

G_Money
02-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Honestly, I can't recall anything that ever said D.J. might be cut loose. At any rate, I think this shows that D.J. is a team player.

DJ has always been a team player.

We gave DJ a $30 million contract essentially because he was never injured and moved to whatever LB position we asked without making a stink. He hated being a Sam, but he did it. He wasn't good at it, but he did it. He didn't mind being a Mike, but doesn't have the leadership skills you'd like or the recognition to make plays in the hole. His tackles were all downfield.

So we moved him back to Will, gave him a large contract, and he got injured and watched his undrafted, minimum wage sub do really well there.

And now the likelyhood is that he'll be moved inside in a 3-4. He did get better at Mike in the second half of 07, so there's hope there, but we're still overpaying.

It was nice of him to re-structure, but when it means you won't be cut, get another year at an inflated salary for your likely contributions at your new position, and you get $4+ mil guaranteed you, it seems like a no-brainer.

DJ's a decent LB. He's just not a $30 million dollar backer, not at any position other than Will, and you can argue that a Will should almost never make that kind of cheddar anyway, not with guys like Woodyard who can play it practically for free.

If he was on Boss's salary, it wouldn't really be a question, but he isn't any more. But there are worse things than overpaying a decent LB with good team spirit who still has a reasonably good health history, work ethic and attitude.

And the part about Boss playing well when on the field made me laugh. When exactly was that? When he was being helped off it 4 times a game or when he was utterly unable to do anything resembling tackling?

Cut Bailey The Younger. He's not a 3-4 backer and we don't need to pay a microfracture guy with a ridiculous injury history anything resembling Boss's millions.

~G

G_Money
02-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Except he was a linebacker and not a safety... I don't follow this logic.

You can't praise DJ for making all the tackles with no one in front of him, and then dismiss the wondering about making lots of tackles when there's no one in front of him.

If DJ had a good line, nobody could run up the middle and he had 140 tackles, fine. DJ was a stud.

But we got gashed up the middle atrociously. Them getting 6 ypc up the middle until they ran into DJ's arms doesn't speak to his strength as a MLB. It just means no DL were tackling, and DJ latched on after a good gain. DJ's latching-on prowess is fine as far as it goes, but I'd rather he stuffed the play than "held" them to 2nd and 4 all the time.

Play-stuffing at the LOS is not his strength. Maybe Nolan can get more out of him, but DJ's not a big-play backer. It's not his bag.

~G

Buff
02-18-2009, 12:51 PM
You can't praise DJ for making all the tackles with no one in front of him, and then dismiss the wondering about making lots of tackles when there's no one in front of him.

If DJ had a good line, nobody could run up the middle and he had 140 tackles, fine. DJ was a stud.

But we got gashed up the middle atrociously. Them getting 6 ypc up the middle until they ran into DJ's arms doesn't speak to his strength as a MLB. It just means no DL were tackling, and DJ latched on after a good gain. DJ's latching-on prowess is fine as far as it goes, but I'd rather he stuffed the play than "held" them to 2nd and 4 all the time.

Play-stuffing at the LOS is not his strength. Maybe Nolan can get more out of him, but DJ's not a big-play backer. It's not his bag.

~G

Ok, I can agree that he basically had no d-line production in front of him, and that led to an inflated tackle number... If that's was coach's only point, then I'm in agreement.

I guess I read his statement to mean "you don't want your MLB leading the team in tackles, just like you wouldn't want your safety leading the team in tackles, because that means the rest of your defense is porous." Which in DJ's case was true, but that is not necessarily true in many instances where MLB's lead their team in tackles.

Lonestar
02-18-2009, 01:02 PM

I agree with much of what you said he did it to get the money up front.. But he is a great WLB not sure if he will be a great ILB in a 3-4 time will tell..

CoachChaz
02-18-2009, 01:14 PM

~G

I made the point in a thread somewhere yesterday that it was funny how people could use the same fact to make an argument for a pro and con depending on where they stood. Glad I'm not the only one that sees that

CoachChaz
02-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Ok, I can agree that he basically had no d-line production in front of him, and that led to an inflated tackle number... If that's was coach's only point, then I'm in agreement.

I guess I read his statement to mean "you don't want your MLB leading the team in tackles, just like you wouldn't want your safety leading the team in tackles, because that means the rest of your defense is porous." Which in DJ's case was true, but that is not necessarily true in many instances where MLB's lead their team in tackles.

Yeah, my point was simply how G described it. I'm not going to call DJ a top MLB simply because he stood in the middle and tackled the guy that ran to him.

honz
02-18-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure how accepting guaranteed money makes him a team player, but he already proved that he is a team first guy by playing all 3 LB positions over the past 3 years.

CoachChaz
02-18-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm not sure how accepting guaranteed money makes him a team player, but he already proved that he is a team first guy by playing all 3 LB positions over the past 3 years.

I was thinking the same thing. Taking a paycut in order to afford improvements is team player. Taking the same big contract and moving it around isn't exactly making a big sacrifice. Nothing against DJ, but he didnt exactly give anything up

Lonestar
02-18-2009, 01:57 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Taking a paycut in order to afford improvements is team player. Taking the same big contract and moving it around isn't exactly making a big sacrifice. Nothing against DJ, but he didnt exactly give anything up

other than being a cap cut, with a big roster bonus coming in march.. that all counts on this years cap..

Big sacrifice ahahahahahaha

TXBRONC
02-18-2009, 02:09 PM

I think it does, because what he did allows the Broncos to create a little more cap space that they didn't have other wise.

Cugel
02-18-2009, 03:50 PM
D.J.'s new deal helps with cap
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 02/18/2009 12:30:00 AM MST

Broncos linebacker D.J. Williams had a $4.5 million roster bonus due March 2 that was converted into a more salary cap-friendly signing bonus, money guaranteed. (Getty Images)By agreeing to change essentially one word in his contract, linebacker D.J. Williams provided the Broncos with $3.6 million in salary cap relief for the 2009 season.

In return, Williams was rewarded with the peace of mind that came when his bonus was transferred from possibility to certainty.

This is what the business side of sports calls a win-win.

Williams' $4.5 million roster bonus due by March 2 was converted into a signing bonus. Signing bonuses, unlike roster bonuses, can be prorated over the length of a contract, or five years in Williams' case.

The prorated portion of Williams' signing bonus comes out to $900,000 a year. There was no reason for Williams to hesitate over the change in contract language because his

Contracts could become a major order of business this week as the Broncos send their new management team of coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Brian Xanders to the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. The combine begins today and runs through Tuesday.

Besides Williams' revised deal, the agents for center Casey Wiegmann and wide receiver Brandon Marshall are hoping the Broncos will be amenable to discussing contract extensions this week in Indianapolis. Wiegmann, who is to receive the veteran minimum $845,000 salary in 2009, and Marshall, who is scheduled to make $2.2 million, are in the final years of their contracts.

There had been preliminary discussions between their agents and Broncos executives Jim and Jeff Goodman, but the Goodmans were dismissed last week. Talks would have to begin anew with Xanders.

Financial commitments are part of every player evaluation, as was the case Monday when the Broncos cut six veterans, including defensive starters Dewayne Robertson, John Engelberger, Marquand Manuel and Jamie Winborn. The cuts generated $22.2 million in cap savings — $16 million from Robertson alone.

The Broncos may also be facing a decision on outside linebacker Boss Bailey, who is due a $2 million roster bonus in early March. Bailey played well when healthy last season but suffered a season-ending injury in Week 7.

Among the Broncos expected to receive their respective roster bonuses due by March 2 are cornerback Champ Bailey ($2 million), guard Ben Hamilton ($500,000) and wide receiver Brandon Stokley ($500,000).

For those who thought DJ might be out the door, it's not looking that way.

THIS is an excellent explanation of exactly how NFL franchises manage the salary cap.

1. Sign a player to a contract with a large roster bonus in it.

2. If the player works out well and you want to keep him -- as is the case here with DJ, then re-do the contract to convert that roster bonus into a signing bonus which is pro-rated over the life of the contract.

The player isn't certain of being on the roster at a given date in the future, so the conversion gives him guaranteed money. The team gets cap relief. Win-win.
3. If you DON'T want the player anymore as was the case with Robertson and his $16 million roster bonus, you just cut him and don't have to take a big cap hit!

When Robertson signed both he and the team were gambling he would be a huge stud in the middle of the line, get something like the 61 tackles he had for the Jets a couple of seasons ago and they'd convert some of his roster bonus into a signing bonus on a new extended contract.

When that didn't happen he never gets the money.

The only downside to this approach is when the player is getting older. It then becomes dangerous to sign him to an extended 5 year contract, which he'll never fulfill because he's 34 and only has 1 or 2 years left in the NFL. THEN when he retires suddenly or is cut, the team takes an immediate cap hit because the unearned portion of the signing bonus is accelerated onto this year's cap.

That's what causes "dead-cap-space" i.e. money allocated to players who aren't even on the roster.

The Broncos have a HUGE amount of dead cap space against this year's cap: $16 million -- most in the NFL.

honz
02-18-2009, 04:04 PM
I think it does, because what he did allows the Broncos to create a little more cap space that they didn't have other wise.

I'm saying that he is a team first guy, just not because of this. Yeah, it helps the Broncos, but anyone that likes money (everyone) would have done this. He is simply getting money that he was owed sooner rather than later.

EMB6903
02-18-2009, 04:07 PM

~G

DJ made one of the biggest plays of the year in the saints game on 3rd and short making a back side tackle to force a FG (which was later missed)

But give DJ a stud Dtackle that plays in front of him to cause Havoc and theres no doubt DJ would be a big play backer

SmilinAssasSin27
02-18-2009, 08:46 PM

But is it HIS fault that the players made it hru the line? He made the tackles when he had the chance. Some behind the LOS, some at the LOS and some downfield...just like many other LBs At least he MADE THE TACKLES. I'm not gonna bash the individual for that. It's a sad sign for the TEAM when the Safety leads in tackles, but it also means the Safety must be able to tackle.

BeefStew25
02-18-2009, 09:03 PM
DJ doesn't attack plays. I know he was banged up, but how often has he anticipated the gap and me the RB even close to the LOS?

Woodyard does that in his sleep.

I get all the LB positions confused, but we need an active dude.

Like, oh, I don't know......

fuLUN17QznA

SmilinAssasSin27
02-18-2009, 09:09 PM
I love Woodyard. He must be on the field...somewhere.

BeefStew25
02-18-2009, 09:12 PM
I love Woodyard. He must be on the field...somewhere.

I am rockin my Woodyard jersey as we speak.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Are you comin on to me?

BeefStew25
02-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Are you comin on to me?

Maybe we need our own thread, Smilin.