PDA

View Full Version : Bly is toast

Lonestar
02-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Bly released..

Broncos Make Another Move, Release Bly
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- A day after releasing six players, the Broncos have made another transaction.

On Tuesday the team announced the release of Dre' Bly.

Bly, an 11th-year player, spent the previous two seasons with the Broncos after they acquired him in a trade from Detroit on March 2, 2007.

Bly started all 16 games in both seasons in Denver, posting 57 and 77 tackles respectively. He also notched seven interceptions in his two years with the Broncos.

oobehr
02-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Just heard that bly got cut. I just want to say I called it.

Grover
02-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Broncos Make Another Move, Release Bly

DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- A day after releasing six players, the Broncos have made another transaction.

On Tuesday the team announced the release of Dre' Bly.

Bly, an 11th-year player, spent the previous two seasons with the Broncos after they acquired him in a trade from Detroit on March 2, 2007.

Bly started all 16 games in both seasons in Denver, posting 57 and 77 tackles respectively. He also notched seven interceptions in his two years with the Broncos.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8848

oobehr
02-17-2009, 08:14 PM
You beat me too it.

Italianmobstr7
02-17-2009, 08:16 PM
I'm honestly not happy about it. He's not as bad as people make him out to seem.

elsid13
02-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Wonder who they are making a run at? Hopefully a young FA CB that will be able to step in and be the #2 CB for the team. Did Oakland franschise Asomugha?

SR
02-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Peace out.

oobehr
02-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Guess Josh Bell is gonna take his spot for now, and I kinda wish they had of persued a trade for him, we could have atleast aimed for a 6th or 7th.

Ziggy
02-17-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm honestly not happy about it. He's not as bad as people make him out to seem.

It's hard to tell just how good a corner is when he has to cover a receiver for up to 7 or 8 seconds because the Dline isn't generating a pass rush. That being said, a team just can't spend the bulk of thier defensive money on 2 corners when the front 7 needs a major overhaul.

DenBronx
02-17-2009, 08:24 PM
bly is toast.

great title. he has been toast since he stepped foot on denver soil.

does this open the door for nnamdi?

spikerman
They could try to bring in Chris McAlister at a cheaper price.

MOtorboat
Money cut.

Too bad, because he would have been worth keeping around while we fix the front seven. Unfortunately, to fix the front seven, we'll need some money.

Requiem / The Dagda
Bly just wasn't a good fit for press-man coverage that will be employed in the 3-4 scheme Nolan will be placing. I'm sure his cap figure had something to do with it as well. He's a solid corner, would be a great corner with a pass-rush, but schematically I don't think he'd of worked well here.

DenBronx
02-17-2009, 08:26 PM
They could try to bring in Chris McAlister at a cheaper price.

him or dunta robertson from the texans.

please no pacman! :tsk:

DenBronx
02-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Bly just wasn't a good fit for press-man coverage that will be employed in the 3-4 scheme Nolan will be placing. I'm sure his cap figure had something to do with it as well. He's a solid corner, would be a great corner with a pass-rush, but schematically I don't think he'd of worked well here.

cap had nothing to do with it. he was already paid the bulk of his salary.

spikerman
02-17-2009, 08:27 PM
him or dunta robertson from the texans.

please no pacman! :tsk:

With his reputation and his lack of quality play last year Pacman may have trouble finding a job anywhere in the NFL next year.

Ziggy
02-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Wonder who they are making a run at? Hopefully a young FA CB that will be able to step in and be the #2 CB for the team. Did Oakland franschise Asomugha?

I don't think they have done it officially yet, but even Al in his senility knows that he is the best player on the team. Even if he weren't, I don't think Denver would make a run at him just due to the cost and the fact that we are paying Champ so much already.

Tned
02-17-2009, 08:29 PM
text message woke me up and I saw that Bly was released. Looks like there is going to be some major turnover on defense this offseason. They are going to have to be BIG buyers in free agency, or we will be playing a lot of young guys. I would guess a bit of both.

gobroncsnv
02-17-2009, 08:32 PM

Unfortunately for Dre, those people who made him only seem bad were all wide receivers... (sorry, couldn't resist.)

Even Champ is exposed when we don't have a pass rush. But Bly really struggled this year, combined with the lack of pressure, and on his own. Nevertheless, I really hope they do more than change the jerseys on the backs of our DB's to improve the defense. I like the fact they got rid of some of our LB's, and a couple of dlinemen as well. We need pretty much a 70% roster turnover on defense. McD has my curiosity piqued so far. He knows how to get rid of folks. Now, how is he with acquisitions???

oobehr
02-17-2009, 08:35 PM
All this points to lots of free agent activity, why would we clear up so much cap room if we weren't gonna bring in some play makers?

Gamechanger
02-17-2009, 08:36 PM
we could sure use him.....

no lie i think we would get Detroit Dre instead of Denver Dre

Ziggy
02-17-2009, 08:38 PM
we could sure use him.....

no lie i think we would get Detroit Dre instead of Denver Dre

You have 2 pro bowl pass rushers in Indy. They can make just about any corner look great. :D

fcspikeit
02-17-2009, 08:39 PM
I don't understand why we're not trying to trade some of these guys?

This opens up another hole, Man we are going to be looking for a lot of starters in FA and the Draft..

Gamechanger
02-17-2009, 08:40 PM
You have 2 pro bowl pass rushers in Indy. They can make just about any corner look great. :D

touche' but he can "cover" at least, one thing we are looking for

Bly could do that

Lonestar
02-17-2009, 08:41 PM

This opens up another hole, Man we are going to be looking for a lot of starters in FA and the Draft..

nobody wants someone with of his ability and a 6-8 million dollar contract..

DenBronx
02-17-2009, 08:42 PM
leigh bodden anyone???

Buff
02-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Just heard that bly got cut. I just want to say I called it.

Wow, you really went out on a limb with that one... :rolleyes:

fcspikeit
02-17-2009, 08:46 PM
nobody wants someone with of his ability and a 6-8 million dollar contract..

I bet he gets a comparable contract in FA as he had with us..

nevcraw
02-17-2009, 08:47 PM
leigh bodden anyone???

that would be a good pick up..

Buff
02-17-2009, 08:52 PM
The thing about bly is that he's actually not a terrible pure cover corner...

But he's an absolutely atrocious tackler, he's undersized, he can't play bump and run, and he's a loudmouth... Combine that with an overpriced contract, and there was never any doubt he had to get cut. There was no other option.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-17-2009, 08:55 PM
I don't think Bly's play the past two years was the issue, scheme fit. . . was. IMHO.

BeefStew25
02-17-2009, 08:57 PM
He just needed some time to gell.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-17-2009, 09:00 PM
All the time in the world wouldn't have given Bly the ability to play bump and run / press man. Gte ir teite BIEF.

WARHORSE
02-17-2009, 09:07 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about BONG HITS!!!

Im liking it.

Delirious already but Im startin to LIKE IT!

Im feelin it...............IM FEELIN IT...............!!!

I gotta say this for McDaniels.................this dude has VERY LARGE
COJONES.

THATS COJONES GRANDES TO YOU SPANISH SPEAKING AMIGOS.!!!:coffee:

WARHORSE
02-17-2009, 09:11 PM
I gotta give a shout out to my man JRWIZ.........

Im wonderin if you still think we're planning on keeping a low to mid range profile in free agency...............:shocked:

I think I changed my mind..........we may very well be bringin in a player of note.................or two................or three.

All the Ravens LBers? heh heh J/K:D

Buff
02-17-2009, 09:12 PM
It's not like he let Champ go War...

We're talking about an aging overpaid mediocre cornerback here. It was a good move, but I don't think it was particularly ballsy, or unexpected.

BeefStew25
02-17-2009, 09:12 PM
War, lets bang heads!

frauschieze
02-17-2009, 09:16 PM
He just needed some time to gell.

You'd better find me a box with a comment like this mister. :tsk:

dogfish
02-17-2009, 09:17 PM
hmmm. . . .

i'd say it's extremely likely that we'll be bringing in at least one veteran corner now-- dunta robinson would be my first choice, but bryant mcfadden from pittsburgh is probably a more likely target, and should come considerably cheaper than robinson. . . .

UnderArmour
02-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Foxworth anyone? And holy crap, if by a miracle Nnamdi hits the open market...

spikerman
02-17-2009, 09:18 PM
I hear Deltha O'Neal may be available. :D

spikerman
02-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Foxworth anyone? And holy crap, if by a miracle Nnamdi hits the open market...

I'll bet the Broncos wish they still had Foxworth now.

dogfish
02-17-2009, 09:21 PM
I hear Deltha O'Neal may be available. :D

go to your room!

:tsk:

Buff
02-17-2009, 09:23 PM
I'll bet the Broncos wish they still had Foxworth now.

Meh, we could resign Paymah and get virtually the same player... It's not that hard to find a 3rd or 4th string corner. Josh Bell is a better player than either of them.

oobehr
02-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Foxworth deserves it!

BroncoAV06
02-17-2009, 09:26 PM
Some more on the move:

Denver's release of Bly doesn't save money

February 17, 2009 8:59 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

A day after the Denver Broncos cut six players, four of whom started on defense, to save money, Denver cut another defensive starter.

This time, it wasn't done to save money. The Broncos cut cornerback Dre' Bly because they want to upgrade at right cornerback. Bly had three years remaining on his contract.

Awash in salary cap room, Denver was easily able to absorb a $2.6 million salary-cap hit to part ways with Bly, an 11-year veteran who has lost considerable speed. Bly had more than $9 million in dead money. The Broncos now have more than $17 million in dead money, including the contract of former running back Travis Henry, which is currently the highest in the league.

Still, Denver has more than $25 million in functional slary cap room and it is expected to try to fill several needs on defense in free agency. Denver will need to find five or six defensive starters through free agency and the draft.

Expect Denver to look for cornerbacks in free agency. One possibility may be St. Louis' Ronald Bartell.

Bly never made the impact in Denver the Broncos hoped when he was acquired from Detroit for running back Tatum Bell and tackle George Foster in March, 2007. The deal was considered a blockbuster for Denver, which emerged from a large list of teams that was pursuing Bly. The team thought Bly would team with star Champ Bailey to make one of the best cornerback tandems in the league.

Yet, Bly, who is now an unrestricted free agent, was just average in Denver. Although, he did play fairly well in the second half of 2008 when Bailey was hurt. In the end, Bly was another in a long line of big names flops in Denver in the final years of the Mike Shanahan era.

The new Denver regime was so anxious to get rid of Bly that it paid to do it.

UnderArmour
02-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Meh, we could resign Paymah and get virtually the same player... It's not that hard to find a 3rd or 4th string corner. Josh Bell is a better player than either of them.

Uh, no. Did you watch Foxworth in Atlanta?

nj10
02-17-2009, 10:00 PM
woohoo!

nevcraw
02-17-2009, 10:04 PM

didnt play CB until week 8. 38 tackles 1 INT on the season.. Prime time part 2 he was not..

Buff
02-17-2009, 10:09 PM

He had a solid season for them. But I wouldn't want him as our #2. And I don't think he's that big of an upgrade over Bell.

TXBRONC
02-17-2009, 10:11 PM
text message woke me up and I saw that Bly was released. Looks like there is going to be some major turnover on defense this offseason. They are going to have to be BIG buyers in free agency, or we will be playing a lot of young guys. I would guess a bit of both.

Nah all they need to do is build through the draft. ;)

BroncoJoe
02-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Bye Bly.

BigDaddyBronco
02-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Bly is gone but Webster is still here. My God this better get fixed in the next couple of days.

BTW the way the entire defense played last year, they should all get cut or take pay cuts. Champ included.

Drill-N-Fill
02-17-2009, 10:20 PM
I hope they pick up someone in FA and not in round 1 (Malcolm Jenkins). Don't get me wrong, Jenkins will be a good player, but I want someone like BJ, or Rey Maul.

2 players I would love to have this FA are CB Robinson and S Yerimiah Bell of Miami.

MOtorboat
02-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Bly is gone but Webster is still here. My God this better get fixed in the next couple of days.

BTW the way the entire defense played last year, they should all get cut or take pay cuts. Champ included.

Webster is a FA...I made that mistake yesterday, got a lot of salutes for it too...the thing that worries me is the article posted that said we will probably sign him back for less money.

Only if he's a special-teamer/backup.

BigDaddyBronco
02-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Webster is a FA...I made that mistake yesterday, got a lot of salutes for it too...the thing that worries me is the article posted that said we will probably sign him back for less money.

If he is back we can continue the drinking game where you shotgun a beer everytime he loses his helmet. :laugh:

TXBRONC
02-17-2009, 10:23 PM

I can't see where they would want him back as starter.

fcspikeit
02-17-2009, 10:24 PM

Webster is a FA. :listen: Therefore we don't need to cut him!

EMB6903
02-17-2009, 10:27 PM
It's hard to tell just how good a corner is when he has to cover a receiver for up to 7 or 8 seconds because the Dline isn't generating a pass rush. That being said, a team just can't spend the bulk of thier defensive money on 2 corners when the front 7 needs a major overhaul.

what was his excuse for getting pushed back being almost invisible 95% of the time they ran towards his side?

fcspikeit
02-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Nah all they need to do is build through the draft. ;)

Right... At this rate we will have 5 or 6 rookies starting :lol:

We both know we will be active in FA ;)

nevcraw
02-17-2009, 10:29 PM
whomever they replace him with cannot give 40 yrad cushions to the WR. Champ too. They have to get more physical at the LOS...

tomjonesrocks
02-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Did Oakland franschise Asomugha?

does this open the door for nnamdi?

Asomugha is NOT coming here, okay?

Seriously, WHAT is the deal with this?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Not exactly a shocker. I get that we've had no pass rush, but he was pretty bad regardless.

TXBRONC
02-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Right... At this rate we will have 5 or 6 rookies starting :lol:

We both know we will be active in FA ;)

At the rate the way we're going we just might be looking to sign a high profile player like Peppers and then couple of second tier players. :nod:

Magnificent Seven
02-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Wow.

Magnificent Seven
02-17-2009, 10:44 PM
I hope Patrick Ramsey is next.

Shazam!
02-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Right... At this rate we will have 5 or 6 rookies starting...

That wouldn't be so terrible compared to the last two years with incompetent vets.

Magnificent Seven
02-17-2009, 10:45 PM

I am with you. However, we will be happier later with new comers.

TXBRONC
02-17-2009, 10:56 PM
whomever they replace him with cannot give 40 yrad cushions to the WR. Champ too. They have to get more physical at the LOS...

If what I have heard is correct the corners were playing off the receivers by design.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Keeping Bly made no sense. His annual price is high and he is clearly not part of Denver's future. Even if we struggle in 09, I want the foundation laid this year. If yer not part of the longterm plan, bye by.

tomjonesrocks
02-17-2009, 10:59 PM
I was prepared to tolerate Bly staying without much complaint with a restructure--but I could see how that view could be considered too kind.

Bly pretty much just collected his bloated paycheck in Denver and was a disappointment any way you'd look at it--even with his decent performance last year with Champ on the sidelines.

Will be interesting to see if we can actually find someone better by next season though...

Fan in Exile
02-17-2009, 11:14 PM
I think the Bly cut shows us a couple of things.

1) They've got a lot of faith in the people who are transitioning to other positions so they don't think we'll have that many holes to fill.
or
2) They've got a lot of plans for Free Agency and think that they've got plenty of money to bring guys in.
0r
3) They've got unhealthy expectations for what you can get in the draft.
or
4) They really don't expect to win next year.

I'm hoping it's a combination of one and two

shank
02-17-2009, 11:19 PM
i was a bly supporter (not a huge fan, but defended him against many of the haters) and am not happy to see him leave, but i understand the factors involved with his release. his cap number and the new scheme made his fit not work so well.

hopefully we resign paymah, he should fit better in a press 3-4 and we need him to be depth at the least with bly's departure.

slim
02-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Good. They ought to cut the whole damn defense.

OB
02-17-2009, 11:24 PM
Good. They ought to cut the whole damn defense.

seems like they are working on it

Lonestar
02-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Keeping Bly made no sense. His annual price is high and he is clearly not part of Denver's future. Even if we struggle in 09, I want the foundation laid this year. If yer not part of the longterm plan, bye bly.

correct for accuracy

slim
02-17-2009, 11:26 PM
seems like they are working on it

Yes and that is a good thing.

Watching this defense the last two years has been physically painful.

Don't think I can take much more.

Lonestar
02-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Yes and that is a good thing.

Watching this defense the last two years has been physically painful.

Don't think I can take much more.

Well we just may be in for one more year.. but at least we will know something is going to come out of it while the learn how to play 3-4.. and having competent coaches well that makes to a real positive for a change....

Denver Native (Carol)
02-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Another article on this:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80eca402&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Broncos keep cutting, release veteran CB Bly

Associated Press

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos continued their salary purge Tuesday by releasing 10-year veteran cornerback Dre' Bly, who had spent two years starting opposite star Champ Bailey.

Bly was acquired from the Detroit Lions on March 2, 2007, to replace Darrent Williams, the rising 24-year-old cornerback who had been killed in a drive-by shooting two months earlier.

The Lions traded Bly and their 2007 sixth-round draft pick to the Broncos for running back Tatum Bell, offensive tackle George Foster and Denver's 2007 fifth-round draft pick.

In his two years in Denver, Bly recorded 134 tackles, one sack and seven interceptions, including 77 stops and two picks last season.

Bly is the fourth defensive starter dumped this week by the new regime of general manager Brian Xanders and head coach Josh McDaniels, who replaced the fired Mike Shanahan.

Bly was due to count $6.8 million against next season's $123 million salary cap.

On Monday, the Broncos released high-priced defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, who had a $16 million cap number, along with linebacker Jamie Winborn, safety Marquand Manuel, special teamer Niko Koutouvides, defensive end John Engelberger and tight end Nate Jackson.

Bly, Winborn, Robertson and Manuel all started last season for Denver's defense, which surrendered 448 points and finished at or near the bottom of the NFL in every major category.

Bly's agent, Kennard McGuire, declined to comment when reached by The Associated Press on Tuesday night

Lonestar
02-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Another article on this:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80eca402&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Broncos keep cutting, release veteran CB Bly

Associated Press

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Denver Broncos continued their salary purge Tuesday by releasing 10-year veteran cornerback Dre' Bly, who had spent two years starting opposite star Champ Bailey.

Bly was acquired from the Detroit Lions on March 2, 2007, to replace Darrent Williams, the rising 24-year-old cornerback who had been killed in a drive-by shooting two months earlier.

The Lions traded Bly and their 2007 sixth-round draft pick to the Broncos for running back Tatum Bell, offensive tackle George Foster and Denver's 2007 fifth-round draft pick.

In his two years in Denver, Bly recorded 134 tackles, one sack and seven interceptions, including 77 stops and two picks last season.

Bly is the fourth defensive starter dumped this week by the new regime of general manager Brian Xanders and head coach Josh McDaniels, who replaced the fired Mike Shanahan.

Bly was due to count $6.8 million against next season's $123 million salary cap.

On Monday, the Broncos released high-priced defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, who had a $16 million cap number, along with linebacker Jamie Winborn, safety Marquand Manuel, special teamer Niko Koutouvides, defensive end John Engelberger and tight end Nate Jackson.

Bly, Winborn, Robertson and Manuel all showed up at some point last season for Denver's defense, which surrendered 448 points and finished at or near the bottom of the NFL in every major category.

Bly's agent, Kennard McGuire, declined to comment when reached by The Associated Press on Tuesday night

edited for accuracy

Endzo
02-17-2009, 11:38 PM
Sad to say, but the Broncos are simply rebuilding. As hard as it is to come to terms with , we are going to have a rough couple of years at it as well.. but with so many picks in the coming drafts it gives me a ton of hope for the future.

What about the Boss and Champ? Do you guys see Boss taking a paycut or just being cut?

I personally hope Champ takes a pay cut.

honz
02-17-2009, 11:38 PM

I agree that he got a bad rap, but he definitely wasn't playing good enough to earn the money we were paying him I definitely understand the move. I would have thought we could maybe get a draft pick or 2 for him though...

Lonestar
02-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Guys excepting perhaps Champ or Williams not one is going to give up Draft choices not even the number 9 on day 4.. for the turds on our defense..

Please NO ONE wants them.. anyone that gets them deserves them noboy wants a loser attitude on their team

Not only did they suck, they played with NO HEART for most of the year....

warcrychief
02-17-2009, 11:44 PM

Because the GM and Head Coach are rookies :D

BroncoTech
02-17-2009, 11:53 PM
And we kind of thought we were screwing Detroit with Tater and Foster when this trade went down. I guess this is the last of the strays Shanny picked up.

honz
02-17-2009, 11:55 PM
Guys excepting perhaps Champ or Williams not one is going to give up Draft choices not even the number 9 on day 4.. for the turds on our defense..

Please NO ONE wants them.. anyone that gets them deserves them noboy wants a loser attitude on their team

Not only did they suck, they played with NO HEART for most of the year....

I'm sure they could have gotten a late round pick from someone for Bly. Hell, we got draft picks for Foxy and Colbert.

Thnikkaman
02-17-2009, 11:56 PM
I apologize, but every time I see this thread I think this:

http://theqbistoast.ytmnd.com/

Lonestar
02-18-2009, 12:00 AM
And we kind of thought we were screwing Detroit with Tater and Foster when this trade went down. I guess this is the last of the strays Shanny picked up.

they that laughs last, laugh best?

Should like DET really did get the best of that deal.. we all got scubs and we really overpaid for ours..

Thanks again mikey............

dogfish
02-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Sad to say, but the Broncos are simply rebuilding. As hard as it is to come to terms with , we are going to have a rough couple of years at it as well.. but with so many picks in the coming drafts it gives me a ton of hope for the future.

What about the Boss and Champ? Do you guys see Boss taking a paycut or just being cut?

I personally hope Champ takes a pay cut.

:welcome:

don't agree with your post, though. . . if the 1-15 dolphins can win a tough division the following year and the trainwreck atlanta falcons can go the playoffs, there's absolutely no reason denver can't be highly competitive next year. . . if anything, we might have a tough season simply because our schedule looks so brutal from where we are right now, but that can change quickly too-- history shows that teams can look awfully differnt on the field in november and december than they do on paper in february. . .

with an excellent offensive line and loads of skill position talent we've got the potential to be as good a passing game as any in the league, and the O as a whole is either one solid RB or a healthy peyton hillis away from being a dominant unit. . . with one side of the ball mostly set for starters, the coaching staff and FO can focus mostly on rebuilding the defense. . . now that i will agree with you is going to be a multi-year project, but it doesn't have to be a complete turnaround overnight. . . with an explosive offense, we don't have to have an elite D to win games-- a middle-of-the-pack D would have gotten us to the playoffs this past year. . .

besides, it's not like we're coming off a 3-13 season and just lost a bunch of talented vets. . . combine some better coaching with one or two quality free agents and a couple of good draft picks, and i don't see any reason why we can't have a top five O and a D that at least ranks in the teens instead of at the very bottom of the rankings. . .

in today's NFL, the era of the five year plan is over. . . if you have a solid QB, a good FO and coaching staff can put the rest of it together on the fly. . . does that mean we have to be good next year? sure doesn't, we could stink, but it isn't written in stone anywhere that we have to. . . .

Lonestar
02-18-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm sure they could have gotten a late round pick from someone for Bly. Hell, we got draft picks for Foxy and Colbert.

that was last year when teams needed help.. a Sellers market

right now hard to trade a turd when the other teams KNOW better players are going to come on the market.. buyers market

Plus if they trade for him they get the cap numbers and they go away from us.. who would take Bly at 6.5 mil..

dogfish
02-18-2009, 12:05 AM

Should like DET really did get the best of that deal.. we all got scubs and we really overpaid for ours..

yea, i'm sure the 0-16 team is really laughing about a deal that netted them george foster and tatum bell. . . .

:dur: :dur: :dur: :dur: :dur:

:laugh:

topscribe
02-18-2009, 12:11 AM
yea, i'm sure the 0-16 tea is really laughing about a deal that netted them george foster and tatum bell. . . .

I believe Bly would have looked like a whole lot better pickup with a better pass rush . . .

-----

Lonestar
02-18-2009, 12:13 AM
:welcome:

don't agree with your post, though. . . if the 1-15 dolphins can win a tough division the following year and the trainwreck atlanta falcons can go the playoffs, there's absolutely no reason denver can't be highly competitive next year. . . if anything, we might have a tough season simply because our schedule looks so brutal from where we are right now, but that can change quickly too-- history shows that teams can look awfully differnt on the field in november and december than they do on paper in february. . .

with an excellent offensive line and loads of skill position talent we've got the potential to be as good a passing game as any in the league, and the O as a whole is either one solid RB or a healthy peyton hillis away from being a dominant unit. . . with one side of the ball mostly set for starters, the coaching staff and FO can focus mostly on rebuilding the defense. . . now that i will agree with you is going to be a multi-year project, but it doesn't have to be a complete turnaround overnight. . . with an explosive offense, we don't have to have an elite D to win games-- a middle-of-the-pack D would have gotten us to the playoffs this past year. . .

besides, it's not like we're coming off a 3-13 season and just lost a bunch of talented vets. . . combine some better coaching with one or two quality free agents and a couple of good draft picks, and i don't see any reason why we can't have a top five O and a D that at least ranks in the teens instead of at the very bottom of the rankings. . .

in today's NFL, the era of the five year plan is over. . . if you have a solid QB, a good FO and coaching staff can put the rest of it together on the fly. . . does that mean we have to be good next year? sure doesn't, we could stink, but it isn't written in stone anywhere that we have to. . . .

Dog I love you man but your the most optimistic Guy I know if you think this train wreck is anything like MIA or ATL that year before..

Yes turn arounds can happen but we are starting from scratch on DEF. maybe two starters back and they will be playing a NEW system with as many as NINE other players next to them..

If we are lucky Barrett and Woody will be back so that means 7 newbie to deal with.

and then on Offense that gets a new system also.. most of the players at least know each other and then there is ST..

This team was a train wreck Except for Jay and his Offense and again that is a changing also..

Cheez Whiz
02-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Later Gator!! Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Bly was constantly getting toast, and at times Josh Bell was playing a lot better.

McDaniels once again makes our team better.

Lonestar
02-18-2009, 12:15 AM
yea, i'm sure the 0-16 tea is really laughing about a deal that netted them george foster and tatum bell. . . .

hey they draft in front of us don't they? they are starting pretty much over also..

Lonestar
02-18-2009, 12:17 AM
I believe Bly would have looked like a whole lot better pickup with a better pass rush . . .

-----

no crap sherlock but all he did was laugh On the way to the bank.. the whole team and mikey would still be here had they had a DL..
Thank God we did not..

WARHORSE
02-18-2009, 12:18 AM
War, lets bang heads!

K. I'll be the head banger...........you be the skeleton...........and............

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/headbanger.gifhttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/stickheadbanger.gifhttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/barneyspank.gif http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/dontstopmenow.gifhttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/DJ.gifhttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/boogie.gifhttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/shakeit.gifhttp://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/warhorse001/skeletonflasher.gif

........who let the purple plunger in?

:D

topscribe
02-18-2009, 12:23 AM
no crap sherlock but all he did was laugh On the way to the bank.. the whole team and mikey would still be here had they had a DL..
Thank God we did not..

I really don't understand your reasoning, my friend. With a decent DL, the
Broncos would have been a playoff team the last three years, in which case
none of us (well, almost none of us) would be wanting Shanny's departure.

-----

BroncoJoe
02-18-2009, 12:23 AM
Dog I love you man but your the most optimistic Guy I know if you think this train wreck is anything like MIA or ATL that year before..

Yes turn arounds can happen but we are starting from scratch on DEF. maybe two starters back and they will be playing a NEW system with as many as NINE other players next to them..

If we are lucky Barrett and Woody will be back so that means 7 newbie to deal with.

and then on Offense that gets a new system also.. most of the players at least know each other and then there is ST..

This team was a train wreck Except for Jay and his Offense and again that is a changing also..

"Championship"

Broncos Mtnman
02-18-2009, 12:25 AM
I like the title of this thread, because just like toast, Bly was BURNED ALOT!! :lol:

He's over-the-hill

He ended up being over-rated

And he was extremely over-paid.

Glad his career in Denver is also over....

Cheez Whiz
02-18-2009, 12:26 AM
2.6 million seems like a big hit, but it speaks volumes on how bad he was.

The release of Bly means 1 thing, and 1 thing only. We will most likely go into free agency to grab a CB.

Dunta Robinson would be an excellent fit for Denver. He would cost as much as Nnamdi Asomugha, but would hold his own.

WARHORSE
02-18-2009, 12:27 AM
It's not like he let Champ go War...

We're talking about an aging overpaid mediocre cornerback here. It was a good move, but I don't think it was particularly ballsy, or unexpected.

I do.

The Broncos took a monetary hit in cutting Bly.............Im fired up cause that means Bowlen is pulling out all stops in backing up the young coach.

Josh is saying, "Want to win now? Cut Bly."

Im not sure thats good or bad at this point. All Im saying is, I like the balls the kid brings to the corral.

That includes firing the Goodmans............Notice how McDaniels said, 'I want to thank the Goodmans for everything theyve done." Why would a young coach say that if Bowlen fired them? You'd pretty much think he'd stay silent on the whole affair since hes new, unless he opted to say, 'Well, I guess thats a move Mr. Bowlen felt he needed to make at this point and time."

Also, I bet Boss Bailey hangs around long enough for Josh to say he gave him a shot................and then ..............CHOP!

(just to keep Champ happy)

Heck, next thing you know, we'll be trading Champ or DJ.

Im up for it all at this point.

BRONCOS OR DIE.

topscribe
02-18-2009, 12:28 AM
I like the title of this thread, because just like toast, Bly was BURNED ALOT!!

He's over-the-hill

He ended up being over-rated

And he was extremely over-paid.

Glad he's gone.....

I think he's overrated and overpaid, too.

I just believe he would have looked a lot better with a better front four.

-----

BroncoJoe
02-18-2009, 12:29 AM
I do.

The Broncos took a monetary hit in cutting Bly.............Im fired up cause that means Bowlen is pulling out all stops in backing up the young coach.

Josh is saying, "Want to win now? Cut Bly."

Im not sure thats good or bad at this point. All Im saying is, I like the balls the kid brings to the corral.

That includes firing the Goodmans............Notice how McDaniels said, 'I want to thank the Goodmans for everything theyve done." Why would a young coach say that if Bowlen fired them? You'd pretty much think he'd stay silent on the whole affair since hes new, unless he opted to say, 'Well, I guess thats a move Mr. Bowlen felt he needed to make at this point and time."

Also, I bet Boss Bailey hangs around long enough for Josh to say he gave him a shot................and then ..............CHOP!

(just to keep Champ happy)

Heck, next thing you know, we'll be trading Champ or DJ.

Im up for it all at this point.

BRONCOS OR DIE.
War, do they still have nude beaches on Maui? If so, I'd like to meet you at one. With Bief, of course.

honz
02-18-2009, 12:31 AM
This opens up another possibility of one of my Utes coming to Denver. Paul Kruger or Sean Smith in the 2nd please. Kthxbye, Coach McD. :)

WARHORSE
02-18-2009, 12:31 AM
If he is back we can continue the drinking game where you shotgun a beer everytime he loses his helmet. :laugh:

I like the one where you hit everytime the ball is snapped, thrown, fumbled, kicked or spiked.:beer:

fcspikeit
02-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Keeping Bly made no sense. His annual price is high and he is clearly not part of Denver's future. Even if we struggle in 09, I want the foundation laid this year. If yer not part of the longterm plan, bye by.

I agree with this for the most part but how many long term guys can we plan on getting in one year? We don't even know how FA and the draft is going to shake out. Wouldn't it have made more sense to wait and cut him after we had his replacement?

Lonestar
02-18-2009, 12:43 AM
I agree with this for the most part but how many long term guys can we plan on getting in one year? We don't even know how FA and the draft is going to shake out. Wouldn't it have made more sense to wait and cut him after we had his replacement?

cut the salary and let him shop his wares elsewhere if he was not in the plans

If they go after Champ then I'll have to back off that statement..

fcspikeit
02-18-2009, 12:44 AM
that was last year when teams needed help.. a Sellers market

right now hard to trade a turd when the other teams KNOW better players are going to come on the market.. buyers market

Plus if they trade for him they get the cap numbers and they go away from us.. who would take Bly at 6.5 mil..

Bly will get signed, he might not be making 6.5 a year, but when you figure in the signing bonus a team will now have to pay him, it would have probably been just as cheep to trade for him.

I can't imagine us not being able to get a 5th or 6th round pick for him.. No he wasn't great but he is still a starting corner. What starting corner isn't worth a 6th round pick to a team that needs one?

What would we give up for a starting corner now that we need one? I would guess a lot more then a 6th round pick. That's what I don't get, if this wasn't about the money, the move made almost no sense. He was hands down the 2nd best CB on our team. We got nothing for him. Now we're going to have to give up a high pick in trade or spend a lot to get someone else in FA that is as good as him. Maybe we will take a CB high in the draft? Even then, "IF" he turns out to be better then Bly, we will have passed over someone else at another position of need.

WARHORSE
02-18-2009, 12:45 AM
War, do they still have nude beaches on Maui? If so, I'd like to meet you at one. With Bief, of course.

Yes they still have nude beaches in Maui.

Last time I was there me n me wingman ran into a topless french girl on a boogie board that was trying to point us north.......twice.

My wife doesnt let me go there no more, and besides, you gotta dodge the sun burnt knockwursts. :tsk:

And Im not sure this is a good suggestion comin from you........:D

honz
02-18-2009, 12:49 AM

Last time I was there me n me wingman ran into a topless french girl on a boogie board that was trying to point us north.......twice.

My wife doesnt let me go there no more, and besides, you gotta dodge the sun burnt knockwursts. :tsk:

Sausage Sizzle Beach?

fcspikeit
02-18-2009, 12:53 AM
cut the salary and let him shop his wares elsewhere if he was not in the plans

If they go after Champ then I'll have to back off that statement..

I agree this was the best move we could have made for Bly, now he has a chance to take part in FA..

I still believe it would have been in our best interest's to have held onto him, got his replacement, then traded him to a team who wasn't able to fill their need in FA or the draft. We might have even been able to trade him on draft day to move up a couple of spots in the later rounds.. If none of the above were there we could have then just cut him... What would the penalty have been for keeping him through FA and the draft?

WARHORSE
02-18-2009, 12:53 AM

Though we're chuggin the defense, dont think there arent some benefits to this 'trainwreck'.

1. We will have a brand new offense that no team has seen nor has tape of. Yes they will look at NE, but dont worry, we will be a force on offense.

2. We will have a brand new DEFENSE that no other team has tape of as well. Nolan and Josh will put together something special.

3. One thing about the 3-4.........the corners dont have to be stellar to do their jobs. Champ will have a great year if he stays. The front seven will bring pressure. We need hard hitting safeties, which we'll get in FAgency and the draft. Sean Jones anyone?

4. Know of any stars on the Pats or Steelers or San Diegos defenses? By and large........the scheme helps people play to their strengths. Thats why we will be targeting very specific types of players..........I bet Clark Haggans is one of them.

Haggans, Haynesworth and Sean Jones in Fagency would be da bomb.

Me thinks Haynesworth at NT? Wouldnt that be a killer? A NT that can crush the pocket...............hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Easy........easy..............just sayin.:coffee:

fcspikeit
02-18-2009, 12:56 AM

Sausage Sizzle Beach?

Is there a reason you guys are hijacking this thread?

WARHORSE
02-18-2009, 12:58 AM
Sausage Sizzle Beach?

Yep.

And dem sausages aint friendly fire either............if ya know what I mean.

They chug through the water in 'spooning trains'.........its awful.

I only been there once............saw the girl...........then saw the zombies.

Never been back.

WARHORSE
02-18-2009, 12:58 AM
Is there a reason you guys are hijacking this thread?

Didnt you hear????????

BLY GOT CUT!

fcspikeit
02-18-2009, 01:07 AM
Didnt you hear????????

BLY GOT CUT!

Is that really supposed to answer my question?

I don't get it? Are you hijacking it on purpose because you think its a bogus thread that don't deserve to stay on topic?

dogfish
02-18-2009, 01:13 AM

you're right-- i think we're BETTER than either of those teams were last year, far better! come on man, don't let your pessimism that you pass off as realism blind you to simple facts-- we were 8-8 last year, ATL was 4-12 in '07, and miami was 1-15! you can tell me a 1-15 team had more to work with than an 8-8 team, but i'll never believe it and i don't see how you can justify it. . .

you say we're starting from scratch on defense, and that's mostly right-- but miami and ATL were mostly starting from scratch on BOTH sides of the ball. . . seriously, show me what assets they had that were more valuable than the talent we've got now. . . ATL had jon abraham and roddy white, plus a few decent run-blocking OLs, a good change-of-pace back in norwood, and a pretty solid LB corps. . . is that worth more than cutler, marshall, royal, clady, harris, kuper, graham, scheffler, stokley, champ bailey and dj williams? hardly. . . their defense in '07 was ranked 29th in points allowed and 28th in yards allowed. . . but throw in an excellent FA RB, an over-achieving rookie QB plus quality rookie MLB and OLT, add a good coaching staff and voila! playoff team. . . in a far stronger division than ours, too. . .

how about miami, what fantastic building blocks did they have? one good OT in carey and a few competent grinders, channing crowder at ILB, one talented RB coming off an ACL tear, and joey porter, who looked like he was finished after a disastrous '07. . . man, they didn't have shit, on either side of the ball! their defense was ranked 23rd in yards and 30th in points allowed in '07-- they weren't a whole lot better off than we are right now, and they had exponentially less to work with on offense. . . .

i don't think anyone expects our defense to be GOOD next year, but there's absolutely no reason it can't be decent. . . for one thing, i think that a competent DC with actual NFL schemes should be good for some improvement, and i want to see what the new coaching staff can get out of guys like moss, crowder, barrett, woodyard, and marcus thomas, who are all still young and have potential. . . champ and DJ are good building blocks, and dumervil had 12 sacks just a year ago. . .

and it's not like we need all-pro's at every position just to be competitive. . . what if we field a defense next year that looks something like this?

DE - chris canty (FA acquisition)
DT - gabe watson (trade 3rd)
DE - marcus thomas / tim crowder
OLB - larry english / clint sintim / paul kruger (2nd round)
ILB - dj williams
ILB - rey maualuga (1st round)
OLB - elvis dumervil / jarvis moss
CB - champ bailey
CB - dunta robinson (FA acqisition)
SS - wesley woodyard
FS - josh barrett

just one example of almost endless possibilities, and you can certainly fill in other names and scenarios that suit you better. . . want yeremiah bell and bryant mcfadden instead of robinson? fine. . . or say we don't get watson, and draft bj raji, patrick chung and connor bariwn-- or any other scenario. . . but anyone that thinks we can't make some fairly significant improvements with $25 million+ in cap space, the #12 overall pick and eight other draft picks is just plain wrong. . . . we're GOING to add some talent over the offseason. . . will it be enough to make us a playoff contender, let alone actually get us there? no one knows for sure, but i do know this-- we only fell one game short this year, we don't exactly need to morph into the 85 bears to win one or two more games. . .

sheesh-- it's not like we're the lions here or something!

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-18-2009, 01:17 AM
I would like to be the first to say i would like to see Bly back but for a much lower number. He wasn't as bad as most are saying. He is not a bad tackler and with a better front 7 his potential warrants that kinda of pay. Its easy to point the finger at him with NO defensive line, and a safety NEVER where he should be.

fcspikeit
02-18-2009, 01:46 AM
you're right-- i think we're BETTER than either of those teams were last year, far better! come on man, don't let your pessimism that you pass off as realism blind you to simple facts-- we were 8-8 last year, ATL was 4-12 in '07, and miami was 1-15! you can tell me a 1-15 team had more to work with than an 8-8 team, but i'll never believe it and i don't see how you can justify it. . .

you say we're starting from scratch on defense, and that's mostly right-- but miami and ATL were mostly starting from scratch on BOTH sides of the ball. . . seriously, show me what assets they had that were more valuable than the talent we've got now. . . ATL had jon abraham and roddy white, plus a few decent run-blocking OLs, a good change-of-pace back in norwood, and a pretty solid LB corps. . . is that worth more than cutler, marshall, royal, clady, harris, kuper, graham, scheffler, stokley, champ bailey and dj williams? hardly. . . their defense in '07 was ranked 29th in points allowed and 28th in yards allowed. . . but throw in an excellent FA RB, an over-achieving rookie QB plus quality rookie MLB and OLT, add a good coaching staff and voila! playoff team. . . in a far stronger division than ours, too. . .

how about miami, what fantastic building blocks did they have? one good OT in carey and a few competent grinders, channing crowder at ILB, one talented RB coming off an ACL tear, and joey porter, who looked like he was finished after a disastrous '07. . . man, they didn't have shit, on either side of the ball! their defense was ranked 23rd in yards and 30th in points allowed in '07-- they weren't a whole lot better off than we are right now, and they had exponentially less to work with on offense. . . .

i don't think anyone expects our defense to be GOOD next year, but there's absolutely no reason it can't be decent. . . for one thing, i think that a competent DC with actual NFL schemes should be good for some improvement, and i want to see what the new coaching staff can get out of guys like moss, crowder, barrett, woodyard, and marcus thomas, who are all still young and have potential. . . champ and DJ are good building blocks, and dumervil had 12 sacks just a year ago. . .

and it's not like we need all-pro's at every position just to be competitive. . . what if we field a defense next year that looks something like this?

DE - chris canty (FA acquisition)
DT - gabe watson (trade 3rd)
DE - marcus thomas / tim crowder
OLB - larry english / clint sintim / paul kruger (2nd round)
ILB - dj williams
ILB - rey maualuga (1st round)
OLB - elvis dumervil / jarvis moss
CB - champ bailey
CB - dunta robinson (FA acqisition)
SS - wesley woodyard
FS - josh barrett

just one example of almost endless possibilities, and you can certainly fill in other names and scenarios that suit you better. . . want yeremiah bell and bryant mcfadden instead of robinson? fine. . . or say we don't get watson, and draft bj raji, patrick chung and connor bariwn-- or any other scenario. . . but anyone that thinks we can't make some fairly significant improvements with $25 million+ in cap space, the #12 overall pick and eight other draft picks is just plain wrong. . . . we're GOING to add some talent over the offseason. . . will it be enough to make us a playoff contender, let alone actually get us there? no one knows for sure, but i do know this-- we only fell one game short this year, we don't exactly need to morph into the 85 bears to win one or two more games. . .

sheesh-- it's not like we're the lions here or something!

I totally agree with you here dog :salute:

But I want to point out, even the Lions have a chance to do what the Phins did. They brought in how many new players? Not to mention an entire new FO and coaching staff. Sure what the Phins did isn't the norm but they weren't the only team that turned it around last year.

In a lot of ways we should be even better on offense next year. Our young guys are even older and we did have 7 RB's on IR last year. Just having 1 starter for the entire year will help the offense out tremendously IMO. How well would we have done last year if we had Hillis starting all 16 games for us? I'm pretty sure we would have won at least 1 or 2 more games.

I can't see how our D can be any worse... Even if they are just as bad and again, I can't see that but lets say they are, I can still see us pushing for the playoffs as we did this year. Guys like Royal and Clady will only get better and hopefully Cutler and Marshall will improve.

We might not make the playoffs but I say we have a better chance of winning more then 8 games next year then we do of losing more then 8.

Lonestar
02-18-2009, 03:38 AM
I'm guessing no one is taking into account next years schedule..

beyond dreamers.. Good night all..

dogfish
02-18-2009, 04:03 AM

*ahem*

you musta missed this:

if anything, we might have a tough season simply because our schedule looks so brutal from where we are right now, but that can change quickly too-- history shows that teams can look awfully differnt on the field in november and december than they do on paper in february. . .

;)

but yea, thinking that an eight win team could win ten the next year is so nuts i'm sure i'll hear the boots of the men in white coats outside my door any minute now-- what lunacy!

in the meanwhile, feel free at any time to explain to me why it'll be harder for us to turn things around than the 1-15 dolphins that needed overtime to get that one win-- i'm real anxious to hear that explanation. . . :D

g'night JR. . .

EMB6903
02-18-2009, 04:11 AM

with the NFL changing so much every single year..... to judge the schedule in February is hilarious..... anyways have a good night!

WARHORSE
02-18-2009, 05:18 AM
Is that really supposed to answer my question?

I don't get it? Are you hijacking it on purpose because you think its a bogus thread that don't deserve to stay on topic?

OK, you dont get it.

WHOS HIJACKING YOUR THREAD?

Two posts and we're HIJACKING the thread?

Call the mods and delete the posts.

Gimme a break.

Now, to get back on topic for ya:

WOW!!!! BLY JUST GOT CUT!!!!!

:tsk::tsk::tsk:

Dirk
02-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Wow, get up this morning and this thread already has 9 pages! :eek:

I felt this would happen. And I am kind of in the middle on if I think it is good or bad.

If I recall, with the "no pressure" D-line Champ got burned a bit as well. Not as much as Bly but Bly is no Champ!

I would have liked to see if Bly would have been better once we could garner some pressure but I guess that's the way it goes. :lol:

McD sure is cleaning house! Thank goodness!

Fan in Exile
02-18-2009, 07:46 AM

I just remember you calling me a dreamer because I thought we would have a good offensive line this year, so I'll take your pessimism with a grain of salt.

CoachChaz
02-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Both starting corners are aging and we have to start grooming replacements eventually. Maybe Jack Williams steps up...who knows.

broncofaninfla
02-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Bly was being paid to be a great player, problem is, he is a good player at best. McD and Xanders are cleaning house on the defensive side of the ball, exactly what needed to happen. I'm guessing Boss is next.........

Denver Native (Carol)
02-18-2009, 10:41 AM
I can't find an article to confirm this, but this morning on FM104.3theFan, it was stated that DJ restructured his contract, which will save the Broncos 3.5 million.

TXBRONC
02-18-2009, 10:48 AM
I can't find an article to confirm this, but this morning on FM104.3theFan, it was stated that DJ restructured his contract, which will save the Broncos 3.5 million.

The D.P. has an article by Klis in that was put out this morning.

In fact, Ziggy has a thread already going on it.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11726624

topscribe
02-18-2009, 11:52 AM

Hmmm . . . with the way the Broncos are bolstering an already ample CAP
space, it is increasingly appearing that something indeed is up. Looks as if
they may be fixing to go to war in FA and the draft. Maybe we'll get some
players.

----

TXBRONC
02-18-2009, 12:03 PM
*ahem*

you musta missed this:

;)

but yea, thinking that an eight win team could win ten the next year is so nuts i'm sure i'll hear the boots of the men in white coats outside my door any minute now-- what lunacy!

in the meanwhile, feel free at any time to explain to me why it'll be harder for us to turn things around than the 1-15 dolphins that needed overtime to get that one win-- i'm real anxious to hear that explanation. . . :D

g'night JR. . .

We are a worse team than the 0-16 Lions. ;)

Bronco Bible
02-18-2009, 12:51 PM

I kinda have to agree..remember he was playing in Slowik's system on the other side of Champ Bailey.

Lonestar
02-18-2009, 12:53 PM
*ahem*

you musta missed this:

;)

g'night JR. . .

Yes I saw that post and while it is hard to judge what a team will do next year based on what they did this year.. all of those teams have been pretty solid the past few years..

So unless we really think that 6 of the 8 better teams in the NFL are all going to go belly up and our pathetic, for that matter all of the west coast teams are going completely turn a round IIRC winning just 2 games on the east coast all of last year.. I'm guessing that 8-8 just might be lucky..

So far that last 4-5 years my season prognostications have been pretty spot on.. So I still think this next year is going to be brutal considering all off the changes coming up.. Until I actually see the schedule I'll wait to give a tentative one..

G_Money
02-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Bly wasn't a quitter.

I was never his biggest fan, but he played a game for us with a separated shoulder because Champ was already out. He was a one-armed player, and he was still making plays in that game. He had my respect after that game, even if his play sometimes drove me nuts.

He was a gamer.

He and Jack Williams are cut from the same kind of cloth - which means the defense we were in played to all their weaknesses and none of their strengths. With more QB pressure and press coverage, Bly would have been fine. He was just making a lot of money to be "fine" so I understand the move.

They'd better find some leadership for this defense though. By the end of the year, Bly was the leader. He gave the interviews, the quotes, rallied the troops...

Champ doesn't talk, DJ doesn't talk, at least not when it matters. If they want to make the D accountable they'd better bring in some guys to replace Lynch and Al Wilson, and not just on the field.

Because we don't have that defender, that leader, on the team right now. And that's a problem.

Hopefully freeing up Bly's salary will help us afford to add a couple.

~G

Spiritguy
02-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Looks as if they may be fixing to go to war in FA and the draft. Maybe we'll get some players.----

Now that would be a novel concept. PLAYERS on the D. :D If we get enough of them we might be able to stop someone.

GEM
02-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Bly wasn't a quitter.

I was never his biggest fan, but he played a game for us with a separated shoulder because Champ was already out. He was a one-armed player, and he was still making plays in that game. He had my respect after that game, even if his play sometimes drove me nuts.

He was a gamer.

He and Jack Williams are cut from the same kind of cloth - which means the defense we were in played to all their weaknesses and none of their strengths. With more QB pressure and press coverage, Bly would have been fine. He was just making a lot of money to be "fine" so I understand the move.

They'd better find some leadership for this defense though. By the end of the year, Bly was the leader. He gave the interviews, the quotes, rallied the troops...

Champ doesn't talk, DJ doesn't talk, at least not when it matters. If they want to make the D accountable they'd better bring in some guys to replace Lynch and Al Wilson, and not just on the field.

Because we don't have that defender, that leader, on the team right now. And that's a problem.

~G

Bly pissed me off like no other at times....but the 2 games I went to in 07...he was the leader on the field. He was the one out there trying to get the guys involved, he was the one out there trying to get the fans involved. I too, hope they find someone to replace that. I don't know that it will be too terribly hard to replace his play (though we might be surprised) when you have a defense with no leaders, getting rid of the last one that even resembles a leader could be bad news.

NightTrainLayne
02-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Bly pissed me off like no other at times....but the 2 games I went to in 07...he was the leader on the field. He was the one out there trying to get the guys involved, he was the one out there trying to get the fans involved. I too, hope they find someone to replace that. I don't know that it will be too terribly hard to replace his play (though we might be surprised) when you have a defense with no leaders, getting rid of the last one that even resembles a leader could be bad news.

Just the law of averages would tell us that with this many new players coming in on D that one of them will be a "leader". You can't add that many positions without at least one of them having some of those qualities, unless you just try to pick up wall-flowers.

GEM
02-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Just the law of averages would tell us that with this many new players coming in on D that one of them will be a "leader". You can't add that many positions without at least one of them having some of those qualities, unless you just try to pick up wall-flowers.

We haven't had an honest to God leader since Al Wilson....so I'm biting my tongue until I see it. :(

Medford Bronco
02-18-2009, 02:07 PM
I was happy when I read this. He was not good here.

weazel
02-18-2009, 02:14 PM
I understand releasing a ton of players... if you can replace them. They have released more players than they can pick up. While you are cutting players you still have to pick up their tab, so youre wasting money that you need to replace them! Bly didnt look good, but how can you look good at corner when the DL isnt doing its job. Heck, Champ didnt look great out there this season either, lets dump him too!

G_Money
02-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Weazel - in the NFL you tend to replace 30% of your roster every year, more in bad years or in years where schemes and coaches change.

30% of the team = 14 guys, or thereabouts. We haven't gone berzerk yet.

~G

dogfish
02-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Bly wasn't a quitter.

He was a gamer.

~G

good point. . . . and IMO, all the mor reason to give woodyard a chance to compete for a starting safety spot-- young or not, he can be that guy if he's on the field. . . .

TXBRONC
02-18-2009, 02:36 PM
I understand releasing a ton of players... if you can replace them. They have released more players than they can pick up. While you are cutting players you still have to pick up their tab, so youre wasting money that you need to replace them! Bly didnt look good, but how can you look good at corner when the DL isnt doing its job. Heck, Champ didnt look great out there this season either, lets dump him too!

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they know how many players they can realistically replace in one year.

weazel
02-18-2009, 02:46 PM
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they know how many players they can realistically replace in one year.

nope, the sky is falling :listen:

Fan in Exile
02-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Weazel - in the NFL you tend to replace 30% of your roster every year, more in bad years or in years where schemes and coaches change.

~G

I wouldn't say berserk quite yet, but we're getting pretty close. We've already ditched something like 20 guys, depending on whether they are planning on bringing back any of our free agents or not. Don't get me wrong I certainly think they know more than I do but it's still a pretty long list.

1) Anthony Alridge
2) Alex Haynes
3) Chad Mustard
4) P.J. Pope
5) Cliff Russell
6) John Engelberger
7) Nate Jackson
8) Niko Koutouvides
9) Marquand Manuel
10) DeWayne Robertson
11) Jamie Winborn
12) Josh Shaw
13) Dre Bly
14) Ebenezer Ekuban
15) Darrell Jackson
16) Marlon McCree
17) Karl Paymah
18) Michael Pittman
19) Patrick Ramsey
20) Nate Webster

Cugel
02-18-2009, 03:27 PM

Matt Millen got FIRED! Explain again how he got the best of anything? :coffee: (BTW: THEY got scrubs in Foster & Bell). Foster is a backup and Bell was cut and reduced to manning a phone kiosk when Mikey called him last season.

He's still on the roster BTW.

Cugel
02-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Any team can designate a player as a June 1 cut, in which case the salary cap hit is divided between this year and Next!

The cornerback received a $10 million signing bonus last year (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/17/broncos-release-cb-bly/). And the remaining prorated amount from that payout, along with those from a previous renegotiation in April 2007, means the "dead" money he'll account for is higher than his previously scheduled 2009 cap figure: $9.45 million vs. $6.8 million.

But the cornerback's performance in the estimation of new coach Josh McDaniels, defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and the rest of the new staff took precedent over the financial books.

So it COST the Broncos $9.45 million - $6.8 million = $2.65 million JUST TO CUT BLY!

So, why didn't they designate him as a June 1 cut, and then the cap hit would be divided between this year and next, so that they saved approximately $4 million.

Unless Bly was due a roster bonus sometime between now and June 1 it makes no sense. :confused:

But, his $9 million roster bonus was converted last year into a signing bonus, which means there should be NO more roster bonus this season.

If someone can explain this one I'd like to hear it. :shocked:

dogfish
02-18-2009, 03:41 PM
Any team can designate a player as a June 1 cut, in which case the salary cap hit is divided between this year and Next!

So it COST the Broncos $9.45 million - $6.8 million = $2.65 million JUST TO CUT BLY!

So, why didn't they designate him as a June 1 cut, and then the cap hit would be divided between this year and next, so that they saved approximately $4 million.

Unless Bly was due a roster bonus sometime between now and June 1 it makes no sense. :confused:

But, his $9 million roster bonus was converted last year into a signing bonus, which means there should be NO more roster bonus this season.

If someone can explain this one I'd like to hear it. :shocked:

you can't spread out the cap hit this year because of the possibility of an upcoming uncapped year-- so no june 1st rule this year. . . .

Superchop 7
02-18-2009, 03:42 PM
You get rid of alot of guys on defense to change the "culture".

The only name on the list that bugs me is Alridge.

hotcarl
02-18-2009, 04:55 PM
You get rid of alot of guys on defense to change the "culture".

The only name on the list that bugs me is Alridge.

yeah he was sooooo awesome for us :rolleyes:

goodbye Dre "10 pounds of sh*t in a five pound bag" Bly :welcome:

broncogirl7
02-18-2009, 04:58 PM
It was time to let Bly go...bring on the draft!

Lonestar
02-18-2009, 05:04 PM

~G

But how many of them are trying to replace 7-10 starters??..

Mostly those 14 are typically for backups and ST's a maybe a starter here and there..

this purge is going to make us one of the youngest teams in the league on top of last years being young also..

sacmar
02-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Hate to say it .....but thank god, dude was horrible.

Northman
02-18-2009, 05:55 PM
I wonder if we are going to draft a corner now? I didnt really think we were going to mess with the DB's but maybe Jenkins appears on McKids radar now in the draft.

Watchthemiddle
02-18-2009, 07:22 PM
:wave:

Bye.

Maybe if you could cover and make a tackle thats not a gift or arm tackle you would have stayed.

I can just see this new staff watching tape on every player this season. Great call on releasing Bly.........I wonder who's next?
:coffee:

tomjonesrocks
02-18-2009, 08:03 PM
19) Patrick Ramsey

I overlooked Ramsey being a free agent in 2009. Been rooting for his name on the cut list needlessly it appears.