PDA

View Full Version : Low Profile Free Agents

oobehr
02-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Free agency isn't quite far off and there are tons of players out there who will likely move on to other teams. We hear about the big names every day, Peppers, Haynesworth, Suggs, Lewis, it seems like these guys are all going to break the bank because EVERYONE wants them on their roster. I think a side effect of having so many high profile, high demand free agents is lesser publicized free agents who are still very talented are easier to get. Hear are a few that caught my eye while looking through scout.com's free agent list.

Mike Peterson-MLB- Heading into free agency with the coaching staff mad at you isn't a very good way of staying with your team. He is pretty solid, and we could get him for scraps as a stop-gap player if we decide to hit up other positions in the draft.

Bart Scott-OLB- With pretty much all of Baltimore's linebacking corps heading into free agency, they can't keep all 3, let alone 2 of the 3. He is a good player over shadowed by both lewis and suggs and will be a nice addition at LB.

Jim Leonhard-S- Pretty much anyone from baltimore's d is worthy of a spot. Overshadowed by Ed Reed, but is a pretty solid player and could fill a hole that is getting to be a pretty big chasm.

What do you guys think about these guys, or any other low profile free agents out there?

broncosinindy
02-17-2009, 07:44 PM
I think Igor O. from san diego is a second tier guy iw ouldnt mind bringing in

Mike Wright. from New England.

Cheez Whiz
02-17-2009, 07:58 PM
I am hoping for a run at Channing Crowder. He played ILB in the 3-4 in Miami and played pretty well. I don't think he would cost too much, and would provide an upgrade.

Cheez Whiz
02-17-2009, 07:59 PM

**** Igor.

You should be slapped for that suggestion.

DenBronx
02-17-2009, 08:31 PM
**** Igor.

i dont really like the guy either but hey if he came to denver and knocked the lights out of rivers twice a year id be fine with it.

Buff
02-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Igor is a whiny douche... Peterson could be a good pickup for someone provided he's not going to be a malcontent.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-17-2009, 10:40 PM
any low profile CBs?

TXBRONC
02-17-2009, 10:46 PM

If we're going to a 3-4 defense trying sign Igor would make sense.

MOtorboat
02-17-2009, 10:46 PM
any low profile CBs?

Chris McAlister.

TXBRONC
02-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Chris McAlister.

Isn't he dealing with a knee problem?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-17-2009, 11:07 PM
as well as his senior citizen discounts.

slim
02-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Bart Scott, please.

Endzo
02-17-2009, 11:33 PM
This is actually a good idea for a thread seeing is how we have SO many positions to sign I really don't see us signing any big names. I personally think its a complete waste of money, teams are built from the Draft up IMO.

It would be nice to sign a couple from the Fins, but they are both looking for a pay increase unfortunately:

Yeremiah Bell (120 tackles, 3 FF) - The heavy hitter finally registered a full healthy season, and you'd better believe that his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, will remind Miami of that. How can you let your team leader in tackles go? Quite simply, you can't. Bell is a team-first guy who has seen the Dolphins through the rough times. He deserves to reap the rewards of his patience and low salary as of now, only costing the Dolphins $1.42 million last year.

Channing Crowder (113 Tackles, 1FF) - Channing Crowder is another player whom the Dolphins must be cursing themselves over. He's already getting the word out that he feels disrespected, and we know how most of those contract situations end up: either by overpaying the player or losing him and getting burned for it. But Crowder needs to be realistic about his presence on the team, no matter what his statistics say.

http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/dolphins/13627

broncosinindy
02-18-2009, 12:31 AM
**** Igor.

I dont think you are man enough to do it.

Igor is a fiery compeitor. He helped Merrimen. the only player i hate in the NFL at this point is Phillis River. anyone else is game.

JKcatch724
02-18-2009, 12:51 AM
Gimme Bart.

ikillz0mbies
02-18-2009, 01:05 AM
Bart Scott. Beast.

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-18-2009, 01:35 AM
Bart Scott makes sense, so does Igor or Canty. I agree Channing Crowder would be good fit here too.

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-18-2009, 01:39 AM
any low profile CBs?

Jabari Greer, Keiwan Ratliff, Ricky Manning and Lewis Sanders. I wonder what Ty Law wants.

Dirk
02-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Ty Law is gettin' a little long in the tooth. IIRC isn't Sanders a little injury prone?

Greer is an interesting thought though.

CoachChaz
02-18-2009, 08:51 AM
I could live with...

DL - Bernard, Canty, Peppers (although it looks like he is going to be franchised)

LB - Scott, Vilma, Crowder, Farrior

DB - Robinson, Manning

Oh hell...why not sign them all. If we cut many more players we may have to

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-18-2009, 08:54 AM
I could live with...

DL - Bernard, Canty, Peppers (although it looks like he is going to be franchised)

DB - Robinson, Manning

Vilma was not a good fit in a 3-4 in manginis defense, so i dont see him coming. would be great to have farrior and scott..lol

TXBRONC
02-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Vilma was not a good fit in a 3-4 in manginis defense, so i dont see him coming. would be great to have farrior and scott..lol

Exactly, Vilma knew he wasn't a good fit for it as well that's why he went to New Orleans.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-18-2009, 01:43 PM
thought this was a good thread for the following. Also, there are other article within the link.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

Haynesworth to test free-agent market

After weeks of negotiations, after hours of discussions, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth has decided not to re-sign with Tennessee until he first gets to test the free-agent market, a source said Wednesday.

Thus, other teams will have the opportunity to bid for Haynesworth, who will be one of the most coveted free agents on the open market.

Haynesworth still could return to Tennessee, but it will not be anytime before free agency begins Friday, Feb. 27.

A host of teams are expected to bid on Haynesworth, who is hoping to become the highest paid defensive player in NFL history. Haynesworth’s deal could turn out to average about $12 million per year with guaranteed money north of $30 million.

It might be Tennessee that lands him. But other teams will get their chance.

Fan in Exile
02-18-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm pretty curious about the chiefs switch to the 3-4 that he talked about. That's going to drive up the price of a lot of guys this off-season.

TXBRONC
02-18-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm pretty curious about the chiefs switch to the 3-4 that he talked about. That's going to drive up the price of a lot of guys this off-season.

I don't think Dorsey is a nose tackle.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-18-2009, 07:48 PM
Sign Jabari Greer, Canty and Bart Scott. Draft Tyson Jackson.

Randy smiles.

BTW...I'm Randy.

elsid13
02-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Low profile

DT/NT - Ron Fields (SF), about 330
DT/NT - Colin Cole (GB) about 328
DT/DE Mike Wright (NE) -about 295
DT/NT Kenderick Allen (MINN) about 330

SmilinAssasSin27
02-18-2009, 08:25 PM
I've seen Wright's name pop up a few times. What's his story? Has he realy made anyone take notice, or is he simply the "sleeper" du jour?

EMB6903
02-18-2009, 08:27 PM
I could live with...

DB - Robinson, Manning

Peppers wouldnt play end in a 3-4 scheme, he would play outside linebacker, and VIlma has been known to not have much success in a 3-4 scheme (the reason he was traded out of New York)

elsid13
02-18-2009, 08:29 PM
I've seen Wright's name pop up a few times. What's his story? Has he realy made anyone take notice, or is he simply the "sleeper" du jour?

He solid 2 tier DE/DT that played well in NE. He isn't a super star or have the potential to be one, he just a solid player that can help strength a rotation on the DL

Think Mike Lodish type of player.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-18-2009, 08:31 PM
We talking Bret Keisel potential or just a depth guy?

elsid13
02-18-2009, 08:34 PM
We talking Bret Keisel potential or just a deth guy?

solid depth guy, Think Mike Lodish. Someone that come in and give Marcus Thomas a breather.

DenBronx
02-19-2009, 12:36 AM
thought this was a good thread for the following. Also, there are other article within the link.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

Haynesworth to test free-agent market

After weeks of negotiations, after hours of discussions, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth has decided not to re-sign with Tennessee until he first gets to test the free-agent market, a source said Wednesday.

Thus, other teams will have the opportunity to bid for Haynesworth, who will be one of the most coveted free agents on the open market.

Haynesworth still could return to Tennessee, but it will not be anytime before free agency begins Friday, Feb. 27.

A host of teams are expected to bid on Haynesworth, who is hoping to become the highest paid defensive player in NFL history. Haynesworth’s deal could turn out to average about $12 million per year with guaranteed money north of $30 million.

It might be Tennessee that lands him. But other teams will get their chance.

haynesworth is hardly low profile.

elsid13
02-19-2009, 05:49 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/02/notes-from-lombardi-free-agent-d-line/

5 TECHNIQUES, NOT RUSHERS

RON FIELDS 6023 313 5.23 27 YEARS DREW ROSENHAUS

Excellent power player and if a team wants to run a 3-4, he is the perfect player. He will make a ton of money in the market.

MIKE WRIGHT 6037 300 4.92 26 YEARS ANDREW BAKER

Plays smaller than his size, but gives great effort and is around the ball. He is a replaceable player, but you gotta love his effort

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-20-2009, 01:13 AM
anyone know what torrie holt is asking?

MOtorboat
02-20-2009, 01:16 AM
anyone know what torrie holt is asking?

Why would we pay for an older Brandon Stokley?

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-20-2009, 01:51 AM
Why would we pay for an older Brandon Stokley?

lmfao, I hope your joiking...stokely is not in the same league as holt..the rams where horrible last year. he would be perfect for a number 2 receiver and let royal play the slot like welker. stokley at this point is a number 3 at best but would look good as our number 4...we need a few more receivers...i highly doubt he would take league minimum but maybe worth a look for an incentive contract. and maybe a base of a mil.