PDA

View Full Version : XANDERS One on One

WARHORSE
02-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Here is the interview with Xanders.

It looks to me like we will be very interested players in FAgency.

I dont have a transcript, but some very revealing answers.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=3208&type=broncosTV&year=&month=

WARHORSE
02-17-2009, 11:42 AM
At the 12:13 mark he speaks about McDaniels.

This man has seen MS in action............and yet hes very impressed with Josh.

Its invigorating.

Ziggy
02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
It sounds like they won't be drafting or picking up a player in FA that both him and McDaniels don't agree on. This setup seems more like Xanders and McDaniels are co- GM's.

broncobryce
02-17-2009, 12:56 PM
I love this, whenever he talks about McDaniels you can see the excitement on his face. That energy will transfer onto the field.

Lonestar
02-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Good find thanks, he does not look comfortable talking to the press at all..

I hope they both have a dynamic that they can both feed off of and they become co-mainstays for a long time in DEN if they can pull off an almost total rebuild defense st and upgrade the O then kudos to them...

sounds like they will go after some interim FAs, BUT his last comment was teams want to build via the draft..

Lonestar
02-17-2009, 01:02 PM
It sounds like they won't be drafting or picking up a player in FA that both him and McDaniels don't agree on. This setup seems more like Xanders and McDaniels are co- GM's.

I think he understands his role finding the players Mc Kid wants, not just going after who he thinks should fit..

It should be symbiotic relationship, Mc Kid asks for advice and the GM asks what do you need.. they should feed off each other..

I do not see it as a co-GM at all..

Fan in Exile
02-17-2009, 01:06 PM
I liked hearing about his background in player evaluation. It's good to know that he's been breaking down players since 1997.

WARHORSE
02-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Response to whether we are done releasing players, etc.

"............as we approach free agency.........the players are being evaluated...........the team needs are being set............our target free agents are being prioritized..........as that happens.......things.....every day can happen......with different players and different spots as we try to get better"

WARHORSE
02-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Good find thanks, he does not look comfortable talking to the press at all..

I hope they both have a dynamic that they can both feed off of and they become co-mainstays for a long time in DEN if they can pull off an almost total rebuild defense st and upgrade the O then kudos to them...

sounds like they will go after some interim FAs, BUT his last comment was teams want to build via the draft..

I dont think hes used to being in that position but I think he'll do fine in the future...............Im thinking hes being real careful about what hes saying.

And yep, he said every team is trying to build through the draft.

Ziggy
02-17-2009, 01:31 PM
He would have made a good politician.

LRtagger
02-17-2009, 01:46 PM
He seems more like a car salesman to me

Lonestar
02-17-2009, 01:51 PM
I dont think hes used to being in that position but I think he'll do fine in the future...............Im thinking hes being real careful about what hes saying.

And yep, he said every team is trying to build through the draft.

He will get better with time knowing what is going to be asked and by whom..
Sure wish they would give the reporters Mics so one could hear their questions..

He would not commit to 3-4 vs 4-3 he danced around a lot.. did not allude to how many would be cut so guessing this was done BEFORE they announced the 6 cuts yesterday..

And I have not issues with that it will be apparent so the direction of the team..

I'll still go on record two years from now there will be more draft choices on the squad than there were at the EOY 2008. With very few FA and even fewer high profile ones than we have ever had..

WARHORSE
02-17-2009, 01:57 PM
"......we're looking forward to going to the combine.........and we're ready for free agency............we feel real confident that we're gonna have a great offseason......."

Organizational philosophy on building through draft or free agency

Question:
"Brian, this organization at times has been heavy in free agents, and didnt place a high priority in the draft. The last couple of years it seems its placed a greater emphasis on the draft in building the team. Can you say there will be a systematic organizational philosophy that this will be a draft first organization versus the free agency or a........."

Brian: "Well, its a good question...um....we're going to do everything.......back ta....we're going to pick the best players we can to win.........now in transition....across the.........theres eleven new head coaches in transition........theres always fallout sometimes.......unfortunately....but thats part of the NFL.......uh, in this modern system........uh.....theres alot of change.....on rosters from year to year.....uh.......but the methodology....or the sequence will always be.......what is the best way we can fill this team need.......is it in free agency........or is it in the draft.....and thats where Josh and I are workin together daily........to try and figure out the priority and the sequence of that......."

Follow up: "Is it possible that maybe this year that youre in transition........as a 'for instance'........there might be more..alot of free agents this time........but in the future it would be more draft.......?"

Response: "Yes sir.......well what we have.......is we have 17 draft picks in the next two years........which is an outstanding opportunity.....and....uh...and that could grow..........we were able to aquire three picks last fall.......and then......as things happen we could gain more draft picks so..........uh....every team wants to build their core through the draft..................."

BeefStew25
02-17-2009, 02:00 PM
War, I haven't done this in awhile:

I :salute: you.

WARHORSE
02-17-2009, 02:02 PM
He will get better with time knowing what is going to be asked and by whom..
Sure wish they would give the reporters Mics so one could hear their questions..

He would not commit to 3-4 vs 4-3 he danced around a lot.. did not allude to how many would be cut so guessing this was done BEFORE they announced the 6 cuts yesterday..

And I have not issues with that it will be apparent so the direction of the team..

I'll still go on record two years from now there will be more draft choices on the squad than there were at the EOY 2008. With very few FA and even fewer high profile ones than we have ever had..

You may be right.......but as he stated.........we will build in both.......whichever can fill the team needs according to priority and sequencing.

And I too think we probably wont sign any huge names..........but.......that door is always open, and I dont think we really know what to expect yet from this front office...........other than: We want to win the superbowl now.

Im lookin forward to see how this is gonna pan out.

One thing for sure........the off season is a little more interesting because of the changes.

WARHORSE
02-17-2009, 02:07 PM
War, I haven't done this in awhile:

I :salute: you.

Well thanks............hows big jim and the twins? :D

WARHORSE
02-17-2009, 02:10 PM
He seems more like a car salesman to me

I kinda felt that way at first...............but I like him. I think he has an easy going style and you can tell they like him.........which is good.

Also, if he werent qualified...........he wouldnt be there.

I also like how excited he seems to be able to work with Josh.

After 9 coaches.............it seems hes been inspired by our young coach.

Kaylore
02-17-2009, 02:43 PM
This interview strangely gave me more confidence in McDaniels and also made me expect the next draft to suck.

TXBRONC
02-17-2009, 02:44 PM
You may be right.......but as he stated.........we will build in both.......whichever can fill the team needs according to priority and sequencing.

And I too think we probably wont sign any huge names..........but.......that door is always open, and I dont think we really know what to expect yet from this front office...........other than: We want to win the superbowl now.

Im lookin forward to see how this is gonna pan out.

One thing for sure........the off season is a little more interesting because of the changes.

If I remember correctly he said you want your corp to be players that you have drafted. He also said something to the effect that when you have position that needs to be filled you have figure out which is the best fill it, draft or free agency.

TXBRONC
02-17-2009, 02:45 PM
This interview strangely gave me more confidence in McDaniels and also made me expect the next draft to suck.

What was it about the interview that makes you think this next draft will suck?

Kaylore
02-17-2009, 02:53 PM
What was it about the interview that makes you think this next draft will suck?

That they are still sorting out the scouting department and have had the Goodman's and one scout out of the organization. It just seems like a lot is still up in the air at the wrong time.

TXBRONC
02-17-2009, 03:18 PM
That they are still sorting out the scouting department and have had the Goodman's and one scout out of the organization. It just seems like a lot is still up in the air at the wrong time.

I see you point. For me, I would more leary if it wasn't for the fact that most of the ground work has to be done in the fall.

WARHORSE
02-17-2009, 03:29 PM

Honestly I think this might have alot to do with Bowlens newfound respect for Josh.

Why would Bowlen let go of the Goodmans now?

It wasnt because of infighting cause you can tell Xanders was genuine in how he spoke about the Goodmans.

I happen to think this had something to do with McDaniels view of the Goodmans rather than anything else.

Its either that or Bowlen had this planned from the beginning. But what purpose would it serve?

Salaries?

Was Xanders simply outworking them and this being brought to the attention of Bowlen by McD?

Was someone saying, "Why do we need all these GMs?"

The answer might be in the structure of the Patriots:

Chairman CEO: Robert Kraft

President: Jonathan Kraft

Director of Player Personnel: Nick Caserio

Senior Football Advisor: Floyd Reese

Now look at the Reese announcement of his hiring:

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Patriots have hired Floyd Reese as senior football advisor. Reese, whose 30-plus years of NFL experience have included a wide range of responsibilities in football operations, will be involved with various football-related assignments, including contracts.
Nick Caserio, as director of player personnel, will manage the daily operations of the personnel department, continuing to work closely with Patriots Head Coach Bill Belichick on all personnel matters.
"We consider ourselves fortunate to have the opportunity to add someone with Floyd Reese's NFL experience and expertise to our staff," said Patriots Chairman and CEO Robert Kraft. "Floyd will be a tremendous asset serving Coach Belichick in an advisory role."

It seems to me that this streamlined look is what Josh wants........and what he got.

Remember, Xanders said they may hire some others......to what capacity......not at his level.......but below.

TXBRONC
02-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Why would Bowlen let go of the Goodmans now?

I think part of the answer is that Bowlen looked at this 3 headed GM position he had created and started having doubts about that many guys having input into player personnel.

Fan in Exile
02-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Keep in mind that it's also easier to speak well of someone who is gone than it is to speak well of someone who's still around. Of course it could also be that Xanders is a classy guy and can speak well of someone professionally that he didn't like personally.

WARHORSE
02-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Keep in mind that it's also easier to speak well of someone who is gone than it is to speak well of someone who's still around. Of course it could also be that Xanders is a classy guy and can speak well of someone professionally that he didn't like personally.

Sure, but if youre having friction, I dont think you go out of the way to say what a pleasure it was working with them..............but of course.........I reserve the right to be wrong. :coffee:

:D

Superchop 7
02-18-2009, 01:42 PM
But......(and heres what gets me)

We ALL have to work with people we have friction with...

The "point" is (in a performance based business) did we get our moneys worth in the draft from the Goodmans?

Absolutely

How hard is it to get great drafts ?

Extremely difficult.

Whether they got along or not is irrelevent to me, I'm after wins....not...one big happy family.