PDA

View Full Version : I've been thinking about what we really need...

HORSEPOWER 56
01-01-2012, 01:42 PM
... this off season.

What is something all the elite QBs seem to have, save a couple - even throughout history, but we lack?

A playmaking, receiving TE. A good receiving TE is the hardest position to cover these days. Too fast for LBs, too big for DBs.

Look at who other QBs have:

-Peyton Manning had/has Dallas Clark.
-Tom Brady has 2 in Gronkowski/Hernandez and had Ben Watson before that
-Brees has Daniel Thomas and had Jeremy Shockey during their Superbowl run
-Rivers has Antonio Gates
-Alex Smith has Vernon Davis
-Matt Schaub/TJ Yates has Owen Daniels
-Aaron Rodgers has Jermichael Finley
-Cam Newton has Jeremy Shockey and Greg Olsen
-Mark Sanchez has Dustin Keller
-Andy Dalton has Jermaine Gresham
-Matt Stafford has Brandon Pettigrew and Tony Scheffler

Where would Elway have been without Sharpe? Dan Fouts without Kellen Winslow? Phil Simms without Mark Bavaro?

A QB's best friend is a reliable TE. Many of us hoped Julius Thomas could be that guy for us. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but a good receiving TE is HUGE in developing a young QB and having a safety valve later on. We absolutely must find that receiving TE for Tebow, or whoever our future QB is in the 2012 season. It has become a crucial position, especially for a team that runs first. It helps out the QB and the WRs to have someone else to draw coverage and pickup crucial first downs.

Other than CB and DT, I think TE is our #1 priority this offseason. Thoughts?

Northman
01-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Agreed although there are a lot of things we could use for sure. But we had a chance at Hernandez and passed on him for ******* QUINN. lol

SR
01-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Brees also has Jimmy Graham now...

SpringsBroncoFan
01-01-2012, 02:23 PM
What we really need is an OL that can block without the help of TE's so those guys can actually release and run patterns.

The coaches need to determine where we go from here with Franklin, do they upgrade or not? Certainly it's going to be dependent on how the draft falls but it'd be nice to have a dominant OT fall into our laps to free Franklin to move inside.

On the other hand it'd be nice to have a dominant OG fall into our laps later in the draft if they decide Franklin can handle it going forward.

I don't care how they do it as long as we don't have to put up with our OL getting blown up anymore...

rcsodak
01-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Agreed although there are a lot of things we could use for sure. But we had a chance at Hernandez and passed on him for ******* QUINN. lol
That argument has grown so old.

Everybody couldve had tom brady 5x over, as well.

EFX just spent 2 picks last yr on TE. Now they need to get an offseason, just like everybody else thats allowed that excuse.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

jlarsiii
01-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Personally, I would rather get the elite QB before worrying about other pieces to the puzzle. Not sure we have the elite QB right now...

topscribe
01-01-2012, 02:35 PM
... this off season.

What is something all the elite QBs seem to have, save a couple - even throughout history, but we lack?

A playmaking, receiving TE. A good receiving TE is the hardest position to cover these days. Too fast for LBs, too big for DBs.

Look at who other QBs have:

-Peyton Manning had/has Dallas Clark.
-Tom Brady has 2 in Gronkowski/Hernandez and had Ben Watson before that
-Brees has Daniel Thomas and had Jeremy Shockey during their Superbowl run
-Rivers has Antonio Gates
-Alex Smith has Vernon Davis
-Matt Schaub/TJ Yates has Owen Daniels
-Aaron Rodgers has Jermichael Finley
-Cam Newton has Jeremy Shockey and Greg Olsen
-Mark Sanchez has Dustin Keller
-Andy Dalton has Jermaine Gresham
-Matt Stafford has Brandon Pettigrew and Tony Scheffler

Where would Elway have been without Sharpe? Dan Fouts without Kellen Winslow? Phil Simms without Mark Bavaro?

A QB's best friend is a reliable TE. Many of us hoped Julius Thomas could be that guy for us. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but a good receiving TE is HUGE in developing a young QB and having a safety valve later on. We absolutely must find that receiving TE for Tebow, or whoever our future QB is in the 2012 season. It has become a crucial position, especially for a team that runs first. It helps out the QB and the WRs to have someone else to draw coverage and pickup crucial first downs.

Other than CB and DT, I think TE is our #1 priority this offseason. Thoughts?

I agree wholeheartedly with the need for a pass-catching TE. But keep in
mind that Thomas and Green are rookies. When they were drafted, we were
warned that they are very raw and need developing - and neither had a OTAs
or training camp in which to do it.

Meanwhile, notice that most of the QBs you listed are really good at passing
the ball. Even more than a TE, I believe we need Tebow to improve
dramatically in that area over the offseason. Elway has vowed to work
extensively during that time. I hope it helps because if it doesn't, it is time to
shop for a good passing QB, IMO.

-----

bcbronc
01-01-2012, 02:38 PM
I'd say RB is a higher priority than TE at this point. We added four TEs last offseason -- Fells, Rosario, Green and JThomas. Three of those are rookies or 2nd year players. Not sure what the deal is with JThomas as to why he never sees the field (injured? sucking?) but I rarely write off a guy as a rookie. If a TE is at the top of the draft board when we select, okay take him. I think we'll give our two rookies another season before we explicitly look to replace them though.

rcsodak
01-01-2012, 02:39 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with the need for a pass-catching TE. But keep in
mind that Thomas and Green are rookies. When they were drafted, we were
warned that they are very raw and need developing - and neither had a OTAs
or training camp in which to do it.

Meanwhile, notice that most of the QBs you listed are really good at passing
the ball. Even more than a TE, I believe we need Tebow to improve
dramatically in that area over the offseason. Elway has vowed to work
extensively during that time. I hope it helps because if it doesn't, it is time to
shop for a good passing QB, IMO.

-----
Luckily, the upcoming schedule is tough, so a top 10 pick isnt out of the question, should TT not improve.

catfish
01-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Personally, I would rather get the elite QB before worrying about other pieces to the puzzle. Not sure we have the elite QB right now...

waiting on a elite qb, and re drafting a qb with your first pick every 2 years is a good way to ensure long term mediocrity. Build a solid team first that can win consistently, then package pick to target a qb when you are out of first team needs. Packaging picks to move up the draft in the next 3 years with the number of holes this team has would be borderline idiotic

topscribe
01-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Luckily, the upcoming schedule is tough, so a top 10 pick isnt out of the question, should TT not improve.

You said that tongue-in-cheek, I hope, my friend. I don't ever want another top
10 selection because of what that means about how the Broncos played to get
there . . .

HORSEPOWER 56
01-01-2012, 02:51 PM

Show me where to get one and I'll put the order in... :rolleyes:

You act like it's easy and every college QB coming out with a first round pedigree is an "elite" QB. Good luck on finding another QB who can get us to a 7-3 record in our last 10 games with a team this devoid of talent and this young.

Shouldn't be hard to get Luck... he'll be the #1 overall pick I'm sure. We'll be drafting in the high teens, low 20's. :coffee:

HORSEPOWER 56
01-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Brees also has Jimmy Graham now...

That's who I was thinking of. Thanks. Thomas is the other guy...

HORSEPOWER 56
01-01-2012, 02:54 PM
there . . .

Brother, I have a hunch that is how he really feels. He only seems happy when the Broncos have success on his terms. Since Orton got the hook, he's been nothing but negativity and venom toward this whole team...

bcbronc
01-01-2012, 02:58 PM
there . . .

esEdC0c3YI4

I Eat Staples
01-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Julius Thomas could be a legit receiving TE, is he still injured or does he just not play? I understand using Fells as a blocking TE but why the hell do we let him run routes?

HORSEPOWER 56
01-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Julius Thomas could be a legit receiving TE, is he still injured or does he just not play? I understand using Fells as a blocking TE but why the hell do we let him run routes?

I hope Thomas can be the guy, like I said in my OP, but the fact that we don't have one right now is hurting us offensively. TEs aren't big money players so finding an affordable FA would probably be a good move if Thomas isn't what we hoped he'd be. Fells is a good blocker and has okay hands, but he isn't scaring any defenses with his speed or route running. He's been doing a lot of babysitting for Franklin this season, too.

Our young WRs and QB could really benefit from another weapon out there.

igoe4broncos
01-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Julius Thomas was supposed to be our basketball, athletic tight end type, but it hasn't worked out so far.

catfish
01-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Julius Thomas was supposed to be our basketball, athletic tight end type, but it hasn't worked out so far.

hopefully he is a project player who will come out and light it up when they get the kinks worked out

MOtorboat
01-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Start with the quarterback first.

Mike
01-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Start with the best player available...at whatever position. We need help everywhere.

CrazyHorse
01-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Start with the quarterback first.

NO. Start with the offensive line and defensive front 7 first, then fill in the skill positions.

MOtorboat
01-01-2012, 10:06 PM
NO. Start with the offensive line and defensive front 7 first, then fill in the skill positions.

Even without Kuper, he had all day to throw and they rushed for plenty of yards. Offensive line isn't the problem either.

CrazyHorse
01-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Even without Kuper, he had all day to throw and they rushed for plenty of yards. Offensive line isn't the problem either.

In that case should we pursue Peyton Manning?

Mike
01-01-2012, 11:46 PM

Offensive line is a big problem.

TXBRONC
01-01-2012, 11:53 PM
I'd say RB is a higher priority than TE at this point. We added four TEs last offseason -- Fells, Rosario, Green and JThomas. Three of those are rookies or 2nd year players. Not sure what the deal is with JThomas as to why he never sees the field (injured? sucking?) but I rarely write off a guy as a rookie. If a TE is at the top of the draft board when we select, okay take him. I think we'll give our two rookies another season before we explicitly look to replace them though.

Oh yeah running back has to be a high priority this offseason.

TXBRONC
01-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Offensive line is a big problem.

I disagree. The offensive line did great job today. The sacks the Chiefs got today were due to Tebow holding onto the ball way to long.

jhildebrand
01-01-2012, 11:56 PM
I was thinking about your thinking. I don't get why this team drafted J Thomas and Virgil Green. Brought in Fells and Rosario. Yet how many two TE sets was this team running where it would throw to a TE? :confused: How many catches do our TE's have?

Broncos Mtnman
01-02-2012, 12:00 AM
HMMMMMM.....

Scheffler was drafted by what team again?????

:coffee:

broncosfannum24
01-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Yea a play making tightend would help a lot, rodgers-finley
Manning-clark,
Matt cassel last year had Tony moeiki
Rivers- gates
Brady -gronkowski
Alex smith- Vernon Davis,
Brees- Graham
Newton- Olsen
Etc...
Then again we do need to get better elsewhere and tebow needs to get better at throwing the ball too

Mike
01-02-2012, 12:06 AM
I disagree. The offensive line did great job today. The sacks the Chiefs got today were due to Tebow holding onto the ball way to long.

Tebow is indecisive and holds on too long waiting for something to happen, I agree. But I think the defense lines are holding back because of Tebow's mobility and the run game.

MOtorboat
01-02-2012, 12:10 AM
Tebow is indecisive and holds on too long waiting for something to happen, I agree. But I think the defense lines are holding back because of Tebow's mobility and the run game.

Of course they are holding the line of scrimmage, they, like us, know Tebow can't read pass defenses, let alone beat you with his arm...