PDA

View Full Version : WooHooo, my handicap is under 10 for the first time ever!!!!

Tned
08-30-2007, 09:54 PM
I just had my newest handicap index (that's golf by the way) emailed to me and for the first time ever I have a handicap under 10!!!!

It's 9.9, so it is 'barely' under 10, but that has been one of my goals for a couple years. :elefant:

SR
08-30-2007, 09:55 PM
If you round it up to the nearest whole number, it's still 10. :laugh:

Good job though. For us amatures (sp?) that's a good accomplishment. My dad is working on bringing his down as well...been spending a lot of time on the golf course in the middle of the 110 degree days in Phoenix trying to better his game.

Tned
08-30-2007, 09:57 PM
If you round it up to the nearest whole number, it's still 10. :laugh:

Good job though. For us amatures (sp?) that's a good accomplishment. My dad is working on bringing his down as well...been spending a lot of time on the golf course in the middle of the 110 degree days in Phoenix trying to better his game.

I thought our 98-103 was bad :(

SR
08-30-2007, 09:58 PM
I thought our 98-103 was bad :(

It was actually really nice here this afternoon. We had a storm move in around 4-5pm and it cooled down to about 85. It barely rained so it wasn't humid.

LordTrychon
08-30-2007, 10:00 PM
I just had my newest handicap index (that's golf by the way) emailed to me and for the first time ever I have a handicap under 10!!!!

It's 9.9, so it is 'barely' under 10, but that has been one of my goals for a couple years. :elefant:

I hate you. :coffee:

j/k

I'd love to be good enough to have a handicap index....

Tned
08-30-2007, 10:20 PM
I hate you. :coffee:

j/k

I'd love to be good enough to have a handicap index....

LOL, it's about the only thing in life I do half way decent ;)

It was actually really nice here this afternoon. We had a storm move in around 4-5pm and it cooled down to about 85. It barely rained so it wasn't humid.

We have had heavy, heavy rainfall today. DirecTV was on the fritz a few minutes ago, so I switched to something recorded. Prior to today, I think it had been three weeks or so since we had anything other than a couple minute drizzle.

SR
08-31-2007, 03:12 AM
We have had heavy, heavy rainfall today. DirecTV was on the fritz a few minutes ago, so I switched to something recorded. Prior to today, I think it had been three weeks or so since we had anything other than a couple minute drizzle.

Not us...about 10 days ago we got a couple inches of rain (we got the beginning of what hit OK and flooded it) from Tropical Storm Aaron. The town flooded and caused near a half-million bucks in just road damages. That's a lot for a town with only 120k people...

Tned
08-31-2007, 03:05 PM
Yea, yea, I know I should get over myself, but this just made my day when I got the new card:

http://www.broncos07.com/downloads/Ghin082907_clean.gif

topscribe
08-31-2007, 03:41 PM

I haven't played much golf, although I'd like to . . . had fun at it when I was younger.

My handicap would probably be round 10 . . . per hole! :ahhhhh:

-----

Tned
08-31-2007, 04:11 PM
I haven't played much golf, although I'd like to . . . had fun at it when I was younger.

My handicap would probably be round 10 . . . per hole! :ahhhhh:

-----

LOL, at one time mine was close to that. I just helped my niece get started this summer. Rather than learn the hard way, on her own, like I did, I paid for her to take lessons. She is really enjoying the game.

Slick
08-31-2007, 07:01 PM
Congrats, Tned. Under 10 is pretty solid. I'm closer to a 12 or a 15. I am a lefty but I play golf righty. I brought my sticks down with me, but I've been spending my free time blowin bubbles (or here) instead of hitting golf balls.

Some of my best memories of my Dad are of us cutting it up on the golf course.

It can get expensive, but I've always loved to play.

Tned
08-31-2007, 07:06 PM
Congrats, Tned. Under 10 is pretty solid. I'm closer to a 12 or a 15. I am a lefty but I play golf righty. I brought my sticks down with me, but I've been spending my free time blowin bubbles (or here) instead of hitting golf balls.

Some of my best memories of my Dad are of us cutting it up on the golf course.

It can get expensive, but I've always loved to play.

My father never played. He has a couple times said he wants to start, but plays a few rounds, and then stops. Never really gotten the bug. Always thought it would have been nice if he was a golfer and I grew up golfing with him.

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2007, 07:35 PM
Good job Tned!

I wish I could get out on the links enough to even have a handicap...:argh:

OB
09-01-2007, 12:54 AM

ha - id be happy if i had ANY handicap :censored:

OB
09-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Good job Tned!

I wish I could get out on the links enough to even have a handicap...:argh:

sounds like we'd have fun playin :D

FOOOOORRRRREEEEEEEEEE :ahhhhh:

In-com-plete
09-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Damn man. That's awesome. Under 10 is great. Especially considering like 90% of amateurs average 100+.

Do you know how they figure the handicaps? I play in this golf league at work and the guy that runs it does one. He adds up the best 3 rounds out of our last 5. Takes the average of that and subtracts 34.8 from it. Then multiplies it by 0.85. This is for 9 holes (hence the 34.8).

This summer he switched to the best 3 outta 5 and I'm a 5. Actually dropped to a 4 for 2 weeks as one point as I was playing great late July/early August. But I'd like to know how many rounds you're supposed to go back and how many you're supposed to take. Do you know Tned?

Tned
09-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Damn man. That's awesome. Under 10 is great. Especially considering like 90% of amateurs average 100+.

Do you know how they figure the handicaps? I play in this golf league at work and the guy that runs it does one. He adds up the best 3 rounds out of our last 5. Takes the average of that and subtracts 34.8 from it. Then multiplies it by 0.85. This is for 9 holes (hence the 34.8).

This summer he switched to the best 3 outta 5 and I'm a 5. Actually dropped to a 4 for 2 weeks as one point as I was playing great late July/early August. But I'd like to know how many rounds you're supposed to go back and how many you're supposed to take. Do you know Tned?

I have the formula in a spreadsheet, since I enter my scores into it, in addition to posting them, so I know what is happening to my handicap between the monthly 'official" USGA/ASGA updates.

I will dig the actual formula, but as to the number. When you are first getting a handicap, it ramps up, so it is like 1 of first 3, 3 of first 5, and keeps going until you have 20 scores posted, and then from that point forward (even when you start a new golf season) it always takes the 10 best scores of your last 20 rounds (even if some of those 20 rounds were the previous years).

Then, there is a formula (I'll look up and post later), that takes into account the course rating and slope rating of the course.

Tned
09-02-2007, 01:09 PM

Ok, the formula is:

((Score - Course Rating)*113)/Slope Rating

So, the round I played today I shot an 87. The course rating is 70.8 and the slope is 124.

I first subtract 87-70.8 = 16.2

Then, take the 16.2 x 113 (avg. slope rating) = 1830.6
Then, take 1830.6 / 124 (slope ratings) = 14.76
So, 14.76 is the 'differential' for that round.

Then, you use this chart to figure out which scores to use (applying that formula to each, and using the lowest differntial for each round).

Number Differentials
Rounds To Be Used
5 or 6 Lowest 1
7 or 8 Lowest 2
9 or 10 Lowest 3
11 or 12 Lowest 4
13 or 14 Lowest 5
15 or 16 Lowest 6
17 Lowest 7
18 Lowest 8
19 Lowest 9
20 Lowest 10

Finally, you average the lowest differentials (based on the chart above) and finally, you multiply that average by .96 (I have no idea why they do this part, but it is part of the formula).

The final thing to know, is that there is something called ESC (equitable stroke control, or something like that). Depending on your handicap (once established), there are maximum scores you can take for handicap purposes. Here is the ESC chart.

EQUITABLE STROKE C0NTROL

Course Handicap Maximum Number
On Any Hole
9 or less Double Bogey*
10 through 19 7
20 through 29 8
30 through 39 9
40 or more 10

So, if you handicap is 15, then the highest score you can turn in for handicap purposes is 7. So, you would still record a 9 on the card if you shot that on a hole, but before entering the handicap data, you would net down your score based on the maximums in that chart.

There you go. :D

saddletramp
12-07-2007, 10:03 PM

my handicap???

my golf swing.

Tned
12-07-2007, 11:08 PM
my handicap???

my golf swing.

If you are struggling, it might be that you are standing too close to the ball

After you hit it!!!! :laugh:

saddletramp
12-07-2007, 11:25 PM
If you are struggling, it might be that you are standing too close to the ball

After you hit it!!!! :laugh:

:tsk: .

dont you have a smilie to replace or something?

Tned
12-08-2007, 12:21 AM
:tsk: .

dont you have a smilie to replace or something?

:lol: I'm too busy working on my putting stroke... ;)

saddletramp
12-08-2007, 12:23 AM
:lol: I'm too busy working on my putting stroke... ;)
with a handicap like yours you need to work on something. :elefant:

shank
02-23-2008, 03:50 AM
congrats tned. under 10 is a goal of mine too. it would be much more achievable if i could afford to get out more than a few times each season. i used to live near a cheap course and played much more, but haven't been able to the last couple of years.

it's too late to analyze the handicap equation, so i couldn't tell you mine, but i usually shoot right around 20 over par... if i could putt it'd help quite a bit lol.

keep playing, update this thread when you qualify for the tour :beer:

Tned
02-23-2008, 10:46 AM
congrats tned. under 10 is a goal of mine too. it would be much more achievable if i could afford to get out more than a few times each season. i used to live near a cheap course and played much more, but haven't been able to the last couple of years.

it's too late to analyze the handicap equation, so i couldn't tell you mine, but i usually shoot right around 20 over par... if i could putt it'd help quite a bit lol.

keep playing, update this thread when you qualify for the tour :beer:

I didn't play anywhere near as much as I would have liked last year. In the llast five month, just a few rounds. Hopefully, in 08 I'll get back to playing almost every weekend. Not sure where my handicap will be once I get back to plahhing again, but hopefully I'll be able to keep it around 10.

Putting, chipping and pitching are really the keys to scoring well. All thinga that I am still fairly weak at (especially chipping/pitching).

Hopefully, we both get to play more in '08

BroncoJoe
02-23-2008, 10:58 AM

Jerk.

shank
02-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Putting, chipping and pitching are really the keys to scoring well. All thinga that I am still fairly weak at (especially chipping/pitching).

Hopefully, we both get to play more in '08

i'm good with my irons, inconsistent with my woods, and terrible with my putter lol. my short game is good, which makes my putting even more frustrating. i can get the ball on the green with good chances at birdies and par, and end up three putting and walking away mad.

if i could cut out the tee-box slices (trying to kill it) and the three-putts it'd help my score immensely.

shouldn't of come in this thread, now i can't wait for all this snow to melt so that i can hit the links! my parents live in copper mountain and get free round coupons for collecting balls on the driving range. it's pretty sweet.

Tned
02-26-2008, 06:19 PM
i'm good with my irons, inconsistent with my woods, and terrible with my putter lol. my short game is good, which makes my putting even more frustrating. i can get the ball on the green with good chances at birdies and par, and end up three putting and walking away mad.

if i could cut out the tee-box slices (trying to kill it) and the three-putts it'd help my score immensely.

shouldn't of come in this thread, now i can't wait for all this snow to melt so that i can hit the links! my parents live in copper mountain and get free round coupons for collecting balls on the driving range. it's pretty sweet.

For years now, I have been very reliable tee to green, but struggled chipping and putting. I also had major problems with three putting, sometimes 4 or even 5 times in a round, but also two putting holes I should have one putted.

Over the last year or two, my putting is much better (especially elimination of three putts), but I still struggle with the chip/pitch game.

If I could get up and down 50-60% of the time (now, it's more like 1 or 2 out of 10 tries), which still isn't considered great, I would be sub 5 handicap, but I just have never had the patience to practice chipping, and it is something that never came naturally to me.

Skinny
02-26-2008, 06:51 PM
For years now, I have been very reliable tee to green, but struggled chipping and putting. I'm pretty consistant to the green because i'm pretty accurate. It just takes me more strokes than it should because i don't strike the ball with alot of power.

I play my best when i'm within 100 yards of the green or on it ... it's just getting to that point that really hurts my game.

Other than the putter, my 5 wood, 2 iron and 7 iron are pretty much my bag lol ...

shank
02-26-2008, 11:40 PM
For years now, I have been very reliable tee to green, but struggled chipping and putting. I also had major problems with three putting, sometimes 4 or even 5 times in a round, but also two putting holes I should have one putted.

Over the last year or two, my putting is much better (especially elimination of three putts), but I still struggle with the chip/pitch game.

If I could get up and down 50-60% of the time (now, it's more like 1 or 2 out of 10 tries), which still isn't considered great, I would be sub 5 handicap, but I just have never had the patience to practice chipping, and it is something that never came naturally to me.

that sounds a lot like me. it's actually rare that i sink a putt, even though i often set myself up to where i should be able to. i would say that i 3 put around 6-7 times in an average round, with occasional good days, and days when i do even worse and fight the urge to throw my clubs in the lake.

i improved my driving by a great deal this last season (even though i only made it out a few times) by almost eliminating my slice (it'll still surprise me from time to time, esp when i'm getting frustrated with my putting lol).

guess i just gotta spend more time doing it, i'm like you i guess, just too lazy to practice putting. i'd rather just go out on the course and play a round, bad putts and all. i think next season is about time for me to work on my game a little more seriously. can't wait!

In-com-plete
02-28-2008, 01:09 PM
I just got back from Florida last week. Went down mainly to get a couple rounds in. Shot an 87 (+10 on the front, +5 on the back) the first round and an 83 (+6 on the front, +5 on the back) the second. I was more than happy with those rounds considering I'd only played once since September. But I had 2 triples on the front and one on the back the second day that just destroyed what could have been a great round.

But this is the year I get my game back. I was pretty good back in '00-'02. Didn't play hardly at all in '03 or '04 and it's been an uphill battle ever since. And about the end of last summer I could tell I was almost back to form.

Every year I buy something new. To try and help my game ya know. Last year it was a new set of irons. The year before it was a Driver. So yesterday I just puchased a rangefinder. Got the freakin' grandaddy of them all. The Bushnell 1500 Tourney edition (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-description/B0007PEONC/ref=dp_proddesc_0?ie=UTF8&n=3375251&s=sporting-goods). Everything I read about it is great. 40 of 48 reviews on Amazon gave it a 5/5 rating. And 7 of the remaining 8 gave it a 4/5 rating. The only problem with getting it is I'll still have to hit my shot.

But another thing I was gonna do this year (to hopefully improve) is track my shots. When I was in Florida I tracked every shot in a notebook. Club used, distance, push, pull, straight, draw, fade, fairway/rough, chip distance, putt distance. So I created a couple Excel spreadsheets and entered all this stuff in. About 5 hours later I figured there's got to be an easier way.

That's when I ran into Scorecard (http://cynicalpeak.com/scorecard/). Man, this thing is freakin' sweet. I entered my 2 rounds from Florida and the one I got in this past Monday. It keeps track of almost everything I wanted. You can download it for free and enter 5 rounds just to see what it's like but I didn't even fool around with that. I just bought it. And not for the $30 it says. If you enter SANDTRAP in as a promotional code you'll save 20%. Then, I filled out their survey (while it was downloading) and they gave me another code so I saved another 10%.

Man I can't wait for some warm weather!

Tned
02-28-2008, 02:32 PM
I used a web-based system that looks like Scorecard for a while, which is why I know I was down in the 10% range in up and downs. Last year I didn't track my stats, but before that I used to track my fairways hit, greens, penalities, up and downs, etc.

It's a good way to track what areas are costing you strokes and whether you are improving.

OB
05-07-2008, 10:16 PM
I shot a 101 Sunday - easy par 5

Hole - Par - Me

1- 4 - 7

2 - 3 - 4

3 - 4 - s

5 - 4 - 6

6 - 3 - 5

7 - 4 - 5

8 - 4 - 6

9 - 5 - 7

(51) (par 35)

10 - 4 - 5

11 - 4 - 7

12 - 5 - 7

13 - 3 - 5

14 - 4 - 5

15 - 4 -4 I MADE A PAR

16 - 4 -6

17- 3 - 5

18 - 5 - 6

(50) ( 36) - Total 101 :whoo:

I only 3+ putted on 5 holes - HUGE for me - chipping/short game is coming along - what a difference it makes in your score - think - i extra putt per hole is 18 strokes to your game :eek:

Tned
05-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Chipping/putting is HUGE to overall score. Great job. I am hoping to get back to playing soon.