PDA

View Full Version : Pho/Thai

gnomeflinger
12-29-2011, 11:35 PM
I am addicted to Pho. I can eat this everyday for the rest of my life, and die happy.

WTE
12-30-2011, 08:22 AM
A couple months ago I made Pho Bo which is the soup with beef. You slice raw filet thin and pour the hot broth over it to cook. You then add cooked rice noodles, bean sprouts and top with mint, cilantro, basil and hoison sauce.

It was very good. Lots of flavor but does take some time to make and is not cheap.

The soup bones themselves was $15.00. The meat was another $20.00.

When cooking the bones you add a cheese cloth sack filled with spices like cinamon and star anise.

I still have some of the broth frozen and plan on making more in a couple weeks.

BroncoNut
12-30-2011, 12:15 PM
i like it alot too. the vietnamese soups correct?

WTE
12-30-2011, 12:31 PM
i like it alot too. the vietnamese soups correct?

Yeah, Vietnamese restaurants you get a lot of soup for not much dough.

I went to a Vietnamese Restaurant a couple months ago in Boston and the waiter was young - looked about 19.

I thought of my friend's dad who served in the Vietnam War and wondered if he would have flashbacks if he ate there because the waiter looked like VC.

BroncoNut
12-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Yeah, Vietnamese restaurants you get a lot of soup for not much dough.

I went to a Vietnamese Restaurant a couple months ago in Boston and the waiter was young - looked about 19.

I thought of my friend's dad who served in the Vietnam War and wondered if he would have flashbacks if he ate there because the waiter looked like VC.

yeah, I don't know. He might. I ate at Pho. a large bowl of it is pretty much a meal isn't it? and you through in your own herbs, mung beans, etc.

WTE
12-30-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure gnome likes pho/thai food as much as she says.

I don't think she even knows what a drunken noodle is.

gnomeflinger
12-30-2011, 02:24 PM
I've heard of drunken noodles, but if it's some slang term, then I don't know what you're talking about.

BroncoNut
12-30-2011, 02:24 PM
I've heard of drunken noodles, but if it's some slang term, then I don't know what you're talking about.

i love you long time Joe.

WTE
12-30-2011, 02:39 PM
I might make some drunken noodles soon because I have a big container of fish sauce that I need to use and there is fish sauce in drunken noodles.

BTW, do you know what fish sauce smells like?

gnomeflinger
12-30-2011, 02:58 PM
I might make some drunken noodles soon because I have a big container of fish sauce that I need to use and there is fish sauce in drunken noodles.

BTW, do you know what fish sauce smells like?

Yes. If done right, it doesn't taste fishy.

camdisco24
12-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Best thai soup... tom kha!

WTE
12-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Best thai soup... tom kha!

Is the K silent?

Like, when I go to a Thai restaurant do I say I want some Tom Ka? Or Tom ha?

camdisco24
12-30-2011, 04:49 PM
I believe you do pronounce the k usually I've heard it said as tom "ka".

WTE
12-30-2011, 06:03 PM
I believe you do pronounce the k usually I've heard it said as tom "ka".

If I order tom kha the waiter will probably bring me this

http://image.europeancarweb.com/f/features/epcp_1010_tonka_toys_icon/30451252+pheader_460x1000/epcp_1010_01_o+tonka_toys+truck.jpg

BroncoNut
01-03-2012, 12:27 PM
If I order tom kha the waiter will probably bring me this

http://image.europeancarweb.com/f/features/epcp_1010_tonka_toys_icon/30451252+pheader_460x1000/epcp_1010_01_o+tonka_toys+truck.jpg

I used to have Tonkas. not sure if they are as " Tonka Tough" as they used to be. Used to be able to beat the shit out of those toys and they'd continue to perform. great toys. quality.

I was in sears last night and noticed a sign for toughskins. My mom used to buy those for me, all the way through hs. I got beat up alot, but my toughskins always made it through the ass whoopings. I was not aware that they were still a brandname. parents,... any stories on them? Reveiews?

just curiious. nut

WTE
01-03-2012, 12:34 PM
I used to have Tonkas. not sure if they are as " Tonka Tough" as they used to be. Used to be able to beat the shit out of those toys and they'd continue to perform. great toys. quality.

I was in sears last night and noticed a sign for toughskins. My mom used to buy those for me, all the way through hs. I got beat up alot, but my toughskins always made it through the ass whoopings. I was not aware that they were still a brandname. parents,... any stories on them? Reveiews?

just curiious. nut

I come from a very large family so my mom bought us all Toughskins too. It was so embarrassing to wear those when all my rich friends had Levi's. We couldn't afford those.

I got a paper route at age 12 so I could go out and buy my own Levi's. I was so excited the day I saved enough to buy my first pair. I'll never forget. Waist size 25. I was skinny back then.

BroncoNut
01-03-2012, 12:36 PM
I come from a very large family so my mom bought us all Toughskins too. It was so embarrassing to wear those when all my rich friends had Levi's. We couldn't afford those.

I got a paper route at age 12 so I could go out and buy my own Levi's. I was so excited the day I saved enough to buy my first pair. I'll never forget. Waist size 25. I was skinny back then.

nothing to be ashamed of WTE.. My mom dressed me like a douchebag for the longest time too. looking back, nothing wrong with TS at all. nothing wrong with a bit of humility. it's an honest jean

WTE
01-03-2012, 12:40 PM
nothing to be ashamed of WTE.. My mom dressed me like a douchebag for the longest time too. looking back, nothing wrong with TS at all. nothing wrong with a bit of humility. it's an honest jean

It's funny 'cuz Levi's today are lousy jeans. They don't last. Lately I have been going to Walmart and paying $12.00 for Wranglers. They last much longer than Levi's.

Interesting too because I think I paid $12.00 for my first pair of Levi's back in 1977.

BroncoNut
01-03-2012, 12:44 PM
It's funny 'cuz Levi's today are lousy jeans. They don't last. Lately I have been going to Walmart and paying $12.00 for Wranglers. They last much longer than Levi's.

Interesting too because I think I paid $12.00 for my first pair of Levi's back in 1977.

I wore wranglers for years. I've always like them. all their clothing is pretty good. I have one pair of Levi's now. they are a carpenter pant. Make my ass look awesome, but not sure on the longevity as I only purchased them a month or so ago.

frauschieze
01-03-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't get this thread title. Pho is Vietnamese, not Thai.

Pho is meh. Thai food....AMAZING! I am addicted to all kinds of curry. There's an awesome place where I live that makes outstanding Phanaeng curry.

Thnikkaman
01-03-2012, 02:10 PM
I love Pad Thai.

camdisco24
01-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Pad Thai, Yellow Curry, Masaman Curry... I could live on Thai food.

Me and my friends go to our local thai place every friday. We call it Thaiday. They love us so much there we are on free spring roll status.

dogfish
01-04-2012, 05:30 PM

how'd they make the mooseknuckle look?

Pho is meh. Thai food....AMAZING! I am addicted to all kinds of curry. There's an awesome place where I live that makes outstanding Phanaeng curry.

you clearly have never had decent vietnamese food-- it is by far the tastiest asian food. . . thai food is ghetto white trash compared to good vietnamese. . .

pad thai on its best day can't compare to a good plate of bo luc lac. . .

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/8291/657699952f24bc7876b.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/815/657699952f24bc7876b.jpg/)

gnomeflinger
01-04-2012, 06:04 PM

I know it's not the same. I was including both types in the same title. Many restaurants serve both Vietnamese and Thai foods on the same menu. There are a lot of Pho/Thai places in the Seattle area.

dogfish
01-04-2012, 06:15 PM
I know it's not the same. I was including both types in the same title. Many restaurants serve both Vietnamese and Thai foods on the same menu. There are a lot of Pho/Thai places in the Seattle area.

many. . . you'll have to forgive cheese, she's an arkbilly from montana. . . ;)

WTE
01-04-2012, 06:50 PM
you clearly have never had decent vietnamese food-- it is by far the tastiest asian food. . . thai food is ghetto white trash compared to good vietnamese. . .

I recently went to Pho Basil in Boston (which is a combo Vietnamese/Thai restarant Frau) and ordered a Thai beer. Very bland.

I then changed to a Vietnamese beer, the waiter seemed very pleased with my decision. The Vietnamese beer was excellent. Full of flavor.

Ummmmm, that's all.

BroncoNut
01-05-2012, 11:45 AM
how'd they make the mooseknuckle look?

pad thai on its best day can't compare to a good plate of bo luc lac. . .

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/8291/657699952f24bc7876b.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/815/657699952f24bc7876b.jpg/)

on the moosekuckle in toughskins. umm. toughskins were before secondary sexual characteristics were expressed, not much of a mooseknuckle in elementary and part of middle school. On the quote of frau. awesome, you put her in her place with that one.