PDA

View Full Version : Chris Canty anyone?

broncobryce
02-15-2009, 12:10 PM
Free-agent scouting report

Cowboys DE Chris Canty

By Eric Edholm
Feb. 14, 2009

News: Although the Cowboys would like to retain Canty, they just might not be able to. After giving big-money contract extensions to a hoard of players last season — Marion Barber, Terence Newman, Terrell Owens, Roy E. Williams, Ken Hamlin and others — the Cowboys might be capped out for a player of Canty’s talent. His agent, Brad Blank, says a recent quote about his client deserving “Tommy Kelly money” (Kelly signed a seven-year, $50.5 million deal, a little over $18 million of it guaranteed, a year ago) was taken slightly out of context.

“I don’t mean to be so obnoxious to suggest that I know what Chris Canty is going to make or what he’s worth,” Blank told PFW. “In this process I am just the auctioneer in which teams set the market. But then, based on my instincts and predictions, I don’t see why [Canty] would be in a worse position than that. That was my point. I wasn’t saying, ‘Tommy Kelly money, or else.’ The market forms and a player’s worth what teams will pay.”

It appears more likely with each day that Canty won’t return to Dallas, and the two sides have not talked about an extension since last August, although he wouldn’t be opposed to coming back. And Canty certainly didn’t quiet speculation that the Dolphins might be the most likely landing spot after he said on a Sirius Radio appearance, “I’ve always said there’s a part of me that’s always going to be a [Bill] Parcells guy.”

Blank said the fact that his client is probably strictly a 3-4 end doesn’t hurt Canty’s value because the 3-4 is increasing in popularity, leaguewide, with traditional 4-3 teams such as the Broncos and Packers converting to odd fronts this fall.

The Cowboys’ clear priority right now is that they want to re-sign DeMarcus Ware, whose contract runs out after next season, and that’s going to eat up a lot of guaranteed money. They also have talked to NT Jay Ratliff about playing more end, which has fueled the talk that Canty is going elsewhere.

Notes: Like most 3-4 ends, Canty’s statistics are not overly impressive. In the Cowboys’ system, his job is not to rush the passer all out like Ware. Rather, Canty most often is asked to hold the point and sometimes take on guard-tackle double-teams. He has played right end in this system since college under Al Groh at Virginia and has the perfect build for the spot at 6-7 and 300 pounds. He has had 6½ sacks the past two seasons combined, which is right about what you’d expect, given the system and his responsibilities. Canty often helped pave the way for Ware, who had one of the best seasons of any pass rusher in the past five seasons, notching 20 sacks lining up right behind Canty.

Strengths: Canty has long arms and can close down passing lanes. He gets good leverage and can drive and move big offensive tackles. Canty adequately takes on double-teams and will surprise once in a while with his pass-rush technique. As right ends go, he’s a strong run defender — and those are hard to find. His experience in the system and coachability are both big positives for 3-4 teams.

Weaknesses: Scouts have said for two years that Canty lacks a mean streak and needs to play with a lot more ferocity, which would make him a terror given his rare physical skills. No one has expected him to put up big sack totals, but Canty’s lack of forced fumbles and other big plays have been surprising for a three-down player. He has been a slow starter the past few seasons, although he has finished strong. That said, there are some who question Canty’s motor just a bit and believe that top-notch tackles can neutralize him.

Risk factor: Low. Canty had two serious injuries his senior season at UVA that caused him to fall from the first round to a fourth-round pick, but he has played every game — starting the past 48 — since entering the league in 2005. He is what he is, a good base 3-4 end who can kick inside to tackle in four-man-front pass defenses, and the market is almost certainly not going to reach Kelly heights. Canty won’t make a ton of plays for you, and his ceiling might not be much higher, so you know pretty much what you are getting.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/Free+Agency/2009/canty021409.htm

Sounds like the guy we need, and if we are lucky enough to get Raji too, put Thomas on the other side. That would sound good to me.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-15-2009, 01:19 PM
I'd like Canty because he's a solid player and fills a need, but I'd be interested to see what it'd cost to get him. If we want a player who will do much more than Chris Canty via the draft, Denver should drop down some selections and get Tyson Jackson.

broncobryce
02-15-2009, 01:22 PM
I'd like Canty because he's a solid player and fills a need, but I'd be interested to see what it'd cost to get him. If we want a player who will do much more than Chris Canty via the draft, Denver should drop down some selections and get Tyson Jackson.

Yeah, I definetely don't want to overpay. I think if we wait for the initial hit of the free agent spending spree to die down, Canty might realize his true market value and we might be able to get him at a good price.

Northman
02-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Definitely want him but not if it breaks the bank. Some have said he is looking for a big check but he isnt worth top dollar right now.

G_Money
02-15-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm interested to find out what Ware does without Canty in front of him.

IMO, it'll be sorta like what happened to Ray Lewis without the big fatties up front. He demanded Ngata because he was tired of looking average and having to work so hard.

Ware won't be average, but he'll drop from potential DPOY back to the pack a bit unless they can get another guy who can hold the point and wrap up OL like Canty does. I dunno that sliding the NT outside will accomplish that.

Canty makes the OLB position an instant threat by what he does up front, is better against the run than any end on our team - maybe any DL period, sadly enough - and has growth in his game if somebody can teach him that mean streak people whine about.

In the meantime, all he does is bring his lunchpail to work and let Ware get the accolades.

He's a top-3 aquisition target for me this offseason.

JMO.

~G

Requiem / The Dagda
02-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Good thoughts, G. Hidden production for sure. What Canty can do to open up plays for others to me is just as important or if not more important than him getting the big sack or FF. Spot on, bro.

Lonestar
02-15-2009, 04:01 PM
I suspect he will be reunited with Parcels.. especially since we do not have the ready cash to sign first tier FA..

G_Money
02-15-2009, 04:24 PM
JR - the salary cap isn't really a cap in a league with this much re-negotiation.

If we want Canty, we can afford him EASILY.

The question would be whether he would want us, or whether he'd be more comfortable in Miami - and if Miami will match what we offer.

That's up for debate. Having funds, or being able to create them? Not as much of an issue.

~G

Lonestar
02-15-2009, 04:52 PM
JR - the salary cap isn't really a cap in a league with this much re-negotiation.

If we want Canty, we can afford him EASILY.

The question would be whether he would want us, or whether he'd be more comfortable in Miami - and if Miami will match what we offer.

That's up for debate. Having funds, or being able to create them? Not as much of an issue.

~G

I read the article in the RMN the other day.. and believe it that cash flow will be an issue especially this year with all the extra failed/fired coaches salaries being due..

And frankly I think Pat is real gun shy with the whole FA issue that has epically failed for almost a decade..

I really believe Cugel is spot on in this taking a couple three years before this D turns around..to a playoff level team..

While we may have "cap room" I do not see us spending it on top tier FA's more like it was described in getting two or three second line guys after the initial bidding war has calmed down..

Gut tells me this is what is going to happen did before the articles and they just reconfirmed my intial thoughts on it.. Hey I could be really wrong but I would not bet on it..

Requiem / The Dagda
02-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Denver has been snake-bitten with bad investments year after year after year and they still go out and make big acquisitions and pay top dollar for players. Money isn't nearly as big of an issue as people would like to make it out to be. I guess the real issue is whether or not Pat wants to go out and spend that money. In my opinion, if he sees a player like Julius Peppers or Karlos Dansby available and he, along with McDaniels believe that such a player can get us to the Super Bowl (or help) -- they'll go out and get him; or attempt to.

*shrug*

studbucket
02-15-2009, 07:35 PM
I'd love to have Canty. He's one of those overlooked guys that really helps out a defense.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-15-2009, 10:07 PM
He's my #1 FA...as long as we don't overpay.

oobehr
02-16-2009, 12:08 AM
I like this idea. Maybe a sleeper free agent acquisition. I like him more than peppers or suggs, in that he won't be picked up in the first week of free agency. But yeah, get him at a bargain price and that would be great.

Dirk
02-16-2009, 07:14 AM
If the Defense is to get better "quickly" they are going to have to invest some money on the front 3. Canty would definately be worth the look for sure.

For those that bring up the fact that we have been bitten in FA as of late, indeed we have! But remember, those guys that made those choices are gone. Shanny, Goodmans etc..

So with the new people looking at the talent in FA and the Draft, who knows? It could be a stellar signing season. (OMG I sure hope so!!)

CoachChaz
02-16-2009, 09:13 AM
While we're at it...let's see if how interested Dallas would be in dealing the VERY under-utilized Bobby Carpenter and Anthony Spencer.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-16-2009, 09:22 AM
I wanted us to trade Foxxy for Carpenter 2 years ago after the mini camp they held together and Dallas' CBs were getting hurt. BC may not be a good 3-4 fit, but we ran a 4-3 and NEEDED OLB help. Instead we overpay for an awful Boss Bailey.

Northman
02-16-2009, 09:37 AM
While we're at it...let's see if how interested Dallas would be in dealing the VERY under-utilized Bobby Carpenter and Anthony Spencer.

I personally was never enamored with Carpenter both in College and in the Pro's. Just never seemed that great to me.

CoachChaz
02-16-2009, 10:01 AM
I personally was never enamored with Carpenter both in College and in the Pro's. Just never seemed that great to me.

He hasnt been given much of a chance in the pros, but would you rather take a chance on him working out or stick with the LB crew we have now?

Northman
02-16-2009, 10:10 AM
He hasnt been given much of a chance in the pros, but would you rather take a chance on him working out or stick with the LB crew we have now?

Excellent point. :lol:

CoachChaz
02-16-2009, 10:21 AM
I'll be honest...I'm not excited about ANY of our LB's in a 3-4 right now. DJ just doesnt seem like he's anything other than what he is and Larsen is the unknown. After that, the rest are complete wastes

Ziggy
02-16-2009, 10:25 AM
Carpenter worries me. He has the measurables, but shows little while on the field. Despite the fact that Dallas needed a MLB, they went and signed an aging Zach Thomas rather than trust the position to Carpenter, even though they spent a first round pick on him in the 2006 draft. He seems to lack instincts and playmaking ability. If it were injuries that had kept him out, I might be OK with a trade to aquire him, but it hasn't been. Wade Phillips, while not proving to be much as a head coach, has an eye for defensive talent. He refuses to put Carpenter on the field. I'd say buyer beware on that one.

CoachChaz
02-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Carpenter worries me. He has the measurables, but shows little while on the field. Despite the fact that Dallas needed a MLB, they went and signed an aging Zach Thomas rather than trust the position to Carpenter, even though they spent a first round pick on him in the 2006 draft. He seems to lack instincts and playmaking ability. If it were injuries that had kept him out, I might be OK with a trade to aquire him, but it hasn't been. Wade Phillips, while not proving to be much as a head coach, has an eye for defensive talent. He refuses to put Carpenter on the field. I'd say buyer beware on that one.

But this is kind of Dallas' MO. Even with Thomas, James, Carpenter and Burnett on the roster, they've been talking about pursuing Ray Lewis. They are just a team that is never happy with what they already have.

Ware and Ellis are solid 3-4 OLB's...but then they went and drafted Anthony Spencer. So, who knows if these guys are busts or just dont get too many opportunities because they are always pushed down the depth chart by proven entities.

TXBRONC
02-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Bottom line is that if Denver wants Canty they will find a way to make the room to make an offer. But the flip side is Canty may not like what is offered and go elsewhere.

CoachChaz
02-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Bottom line is that if Denver wants Canty they will find a way to make the room to make an offer. But the flip side is Canty may not like what is offered and go elsewhere.

Completely agree. I say make your best offer and if he goes elsewhere, so be it. I'd love to have him. Good player, better person. No complaints.

TXBRONC
02-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Completely agree. I say make your best offer and if he goes elsewhere, so be it. I'd love to have him. Good player, better person. No complaints.

I would be ok with making him an offer, but I have to say I would rather have Peppers.

CoachChaz
02-16-2009, 01:49 PM
I would be ok with making him an offer, but I have to say I would rather have Peppers.

Oh, I definately make a play to get Peppers first. But if both are attainable, we go a LONG way towards improving the front 7. Right now I dont doubt Pat is planning on pushing for Peppers. I just hope Carolina allows him to become an FA rather than tagging him and trying to trade him.

TXBRONC
02-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Oh, I definately make a play to get Peppers first. But if both are attainable, we go a LONG way towards improving the front 7. Right now I dont doubt Pat is planning on pushing for Peppers. I just hope Carolina allows him to become an FA rather than tagging him and trying to trade him.

I could live with having both on the defense but I don't know how realistic it would be.

CoachChaz
02-16-2009, 02:59 PM
I could live with having both on the defense but I don't know how realistic it would be.

Probably not, but it'd be nice to see Canty at RE with Peppers rushing off of him

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-16-2009, 04:31 PM
If canty leaves and takes less money it would be for miami not denver.

CoachChaz
02-16-2009, 04:42 PM
If canty leaves and takes less money it would be for miami not denver.

Probably...and much to his demise

Medford Bronco
02-16-2009, 05:35 PM
I'd love to have Canty. He's one of those overlooked guys that really helps out a defense.

You mean we might actually be able to stop the run:elefant:

broncosinindy
02-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Whats Anthony Spencers story. he was supposed to be pretty good and doesnt see the field that much.

I am ok with Igor or Canty as long as the money is right. I doubt he comes to Denver. but it sure might make the transition for Moss or Doom at Jack ALOT easier.

I really like peppers but man thats alot of dough. Would we play him at LDE? in the 4-3?

TXBRONC
02-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Whats Anthony Spencers story. he was supposed to be pretty good and doesnt see the field that much.

I am ok with Igor or Canty as long as the money is right. I doubt he comes to Denver. but it sure might make the transition for Moss or Doom at Jack ALOT easier.

I really like peppers but man thats alot of dough. Would we play him at LDE? in the 4-3?

If we are going with a 3-4 defense I could see Igor Olshansky being a player that we try to sign more than Canty or Peppers because he will probably be a lot cheaper than Canty or Peppers. Of course that is assuming that San Diego does in fact release him.

broncosinindy
02-16-2009, 07:57 PM
If we are going with a 3-4 defense I could see Igor Olshansky being a player that we try to sign more than Canty or Peppers because he will probably be a lot cheaper than Canty or Peppers. Of course that is assuming that San Diego does in fact release him.

I think he is a FA. please dont roast me if i am wrong but i think so. I dont mind going after free agents and especiaally top notch guys but No more over paying average guys!!! :)

TXBRONC
02-16-2009, 08:58 PM
I think he is a FA. please dont roast me if i am wrong but i think so. I dont mind going after free agents and especiaally top notch guys but No more over paying average guys!!! :)

Even better if Igor is a free agent.

Fan in Exile
02-16-2009, 09:59 PM
I know it's not reasonable, but I don't want Igor. I don't know if I could get over it even if he were key to us winning again. I just don't like him.

Lonestar
02-16-2009, 10:02 PM
I know it's not reasonable, but I don't want Igor. I don't know if I could get over it even if he were key to us winning again. I just don't like him.

I have always liked him since his PAC-10 days.. he has a nonstop motor and is animal in the workout rooms..

they played him some at NT but at 6'6" and 306 he is to tall and skinny for long term NT or so I do not see him there more of a DE.. but not sure if he can drop back and cover if called on..

SmilinAssasSin27
02-17-2009, 08:28 AM
not many 3-4 DEs can cover consistently though. If he drops back in "coverage", it's more of a surprise twist to confuse the O.

And there are reports that Peppers thinks he canbe even etter at 3-4 OLB.

broncobryce
02-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Igor hates Denver. But maybe it would be water under the bridge at this point. And Peppers REALLY wants to play OLB in the 3-4. That's all he's been talking about lately. If only we could get him AND Canty.........(drools)

TXBRONC
02-17-2009, 03:55 PM
not many 3-4 DEs can cover consistently though. If he drops back in "coverage", it's more of a surprise twist to confuse the O.

The guys that line up as the defensive ends in 3-4 ususally don't drop back in coverage. On passing downs they slide over of defensive tackle, especially if you have linebacker whose capable of putting a hand on the ground.

Lonestar
02-17-2009, 03:59 PM

Why I did not think he could do it.

I realize it happens rarely but once is enough if your playing a Sharp QB..