PDA

View Full Version : Hot Button: AFC West

Magnificent Seven
02-15-2009, 04:20 AM
Denver Broncos

Primary issue: It's all about moving forward in Denver as the Josh McDaniels era starts, ending Mike Shanahan's 14-season run in Denver. If the Broncos are going to be successful early in McDaniels' tenure, they will have to address their problems on defense.

If the season started now, the Broncos would have a difficult time lining up 11 quality starters. The defense has been terrible for the last two seasons and there are only a few quality starters on the roster. Further complicating matters is that the Broncos want to run a 3-4 defense under new coordinator Mike Nolan, the former San Francisco head coach. Thus, Denver has to find players in that mold.

The team has star left cornerback Champ Bailey, linebacker D.J. Williams and defensive end Elvis Dumervil, who could be moved to linebacker in the new scheme. Other than those players, the Broncos need a bunch of pieces. And players such as defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson and cornerback Dre' Bly could be on their way out as salary-cap casualties.

Solution: The Broncos have the No. 12 pick and need to secure a quality player such as a middle linebacker like USC's Rey Maualuga or a defensive tackle such as Boston College's B.J. Raji. Also, Denver needs to pick up a couple of starters through free agency. Free agents such as defensive tackle Grady Jackson, and perhaps, if Bly is cut, a young cornerback such as the Rams' Ronald Bartell could be interesting fits.

Secondary concern: While the majority of the work to be done in the offseason in Denver is on the defensive side, McDaniels is an offensive-minded coach and he needs to put his stamp on the team. He needs to get his key offensive players, such as quarterback Jay Cutler and receiver Brandon Marshall, acquainted with his system.

The Broncos put up a ton of yards in the final couple of seasons of Shanahan's regime, but they didn't score enough points to go along with those copious yards. McDaniels has to find a way to get the most out of his talent.

Solution: Offseason study sessions and practice in minicamps should get this offense in touch with what McDaniels -- who had raging success as the offensive coordinator in New England -- wants to get done in Denver.

Kansas City Chiefs

Primary issue: Although the Chiefs have many issues on defense that need to be addressed immediately, there are much more pressing issues with existing players on the opposite side of the ball.

Kansas City needs to figure out if it wants to convince future Hall of Fame tight end Tony Gonzalez to remain with the team for a 13th season or trade him. The Chiefs also need to make a decision on running back Larry Johnson, who wants to be cut or traded. And finally, Kansas City has to figure out whether it will stick with young quarterback Tyler Thigpen or if it will try to get a franchise quarterback through the draft or through a trade.

New Kansas City general manager Scott Pioli could very well be tempted to go get New England's Matt Cassel through a trade.

Solution: The Chiefs can retain Gonzalez if they convince him that they can compete immediately and they could do that by getting defensive players. If not, he'll likely ask to be traded. If the Chiefs decide to trade Gonzalez, they will probably get a fairly high draft pick for him. Johnson needs to be cut or traded, and he likely will be, so don't expect him to be back.

Thigpen could probably fill the Chiefs' need at quarterback for a year or so while they work to fill other positions. The team, however, may be tempted to trade for Cassel or draft Georgia's Matthew Stafford. Thigpen should be kept in Kansas City, and the Chiefs should address the needs on defense by drafting Wake Forest outside linebacker Aaron Curry with the third pick.

Secondary concern: The Chiefs need several new starters on defense. They are happy with their cornerbacks, but they could use help nearly everywhere else. Kansas City's front seven has been particularly weak. Kansas City set an NFL record for the fewest sacks in a season with 10 in 2008.

A complete overhaul is needed in Kansas City. There is enough talent for this team to start competing offensively. But unless Kansas City gets legitimate defensive help, it will be a long season.

Solution: The Chiefs need to draft a player like Curry and concentrate the early rounds on defense. Also, they need to sign two or three starters in free agency. Carolina defensive end Julius Peppers would be a dream addition and Arizona linebacker Karlos Dansby would be an outstanding pickup.

Oakland Raiders

Primary issue: The Raiders have an outstanding running game, but their passing game needs to improve greatly. Quarterback JaMarcus Russell still has a long way to go to prove he could be a capable NFL quarterback. But he also needs help.

Oakland needs to give him better blocking and better receivers. Oakland's receiving corps was embarrassing at many points last season. Coupled with poor pass protection and bad receiver play, Russell didn't have much of a chance to succeed a lot of the time in 2008.

With better protection and legitimate NFL receivers, the Raiders will be able to find out if Russell, the No. 1 overall pick in 2007, can become a legitimate NFL standout.

Solution: There are several receivers who are or will be available through free agency and the draft. Perhaps Oakland will try to trade for Arizona's Anquan Boldin or Cincinnati's Chad Johnson. The Raiders could also try to draft Michael Crabtree with the No. 7 pick. Oakland also needs to find offensive line help early in the draft.

Secondary concern: To be able to be active in the offseason, the Raiders are going to have to do some bookkeeping. There are several players who may end up being cut to clear salary-cap room.

The Raiders went on a wild spending spree last year. They won't be able to do the same thing this year, but that spending spree didn't answer a lot of issues, so the Raiders have nearly as many holes now as they did before they spent all their money. Thus, some room needs to be made.

Solution: Cutting players like defensive back Michael Huff, receivers Ronald Curry and Javon Walker, and tackle Kwame Harris could help clear cap space and begin the process of making amends for past financial blunders.

San Diego Chargers

Primary issue: This offseason is all about finding a way to keep the Chargers' stars happy financially.

The Chargers are going to be working on contracts for future Hall of Fame running back LaDainian Tomlinson, key backup running back and dynamic return man Darren Sproles and franchise quarterback Philip Rivers, who is the third priority because he's under contract for 2009.

If Tomlinson doesn't restructure his contract and give the Chargers a more cap-friendly deal, he will likely be cut. But both sides want to make something work, and keeping Tomlinson in San Diego is a high priority for both him and the team.

Sproles could be given the franchise tag if he doesn't sign a long-term deal in the coming days. He's too valuable for the Chargers to allow him to hit the street. He is an asset in the running, receiving and return games. The Chargers want to re-sign Rivers to get it out of the way and allow him to play the final year of his contract without any issues.

Solution: The Chargers can redo Tomlinson's contract so it cuts down his salary-cap number but allows him to make up the money in bonuses and incentives. Sproles can be franchised and both players will be happy. Although none of this will be easy, the Chargers can still find a way extend Rivers and keep everyone pleased.

Secondary concern: The Chargers don't have a ton of needs, but there are some issues on defense, where the team needs to reload.

The Chargers can use help in all three phases of the defense with inside linebacker and, perhaps, free safety being the most pressing.

Solution: The Chargers should try to go after a veteran in free agency, such as Baltimore's Bart Scott. The Chargers will also likely try to address the needs on defense with the No. 16 overall pick.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1560/Hot-Button--AFC-West.html

warcrychief
02-15-2009, 04:51 AM
I think Tony already likes what he is seeing as far as the front office. And will stick around Kansas City. Larry Johnson's contract is too big for the team to trade him, and we won't find any takers (unless its for a player like Cassell).

The defense does have alot of young players. I just think that they need the right coach. Tony Gonzalez felt that Herm treated this young team as vets. And was given too much freedom from the start. So i hope they find the right man for the defense coordinator job.

With the #3 spot in the draft, i think Pioli will draft Stafford (if he is there). If not then Curry.

NorthernLights
02-15-2009, 10:28 AM
I think Tony already likes what he is seeing as far as the front office. And will stick around Kansas City. Larry Johnson's contract is too big for the team to trade him, and we won't find any takers (unless its for a player like Cassell).

I would like to see the Chiefs go after and pay a randsome for Cassell because I don't think he is all that great. I looked into his games and found some compelling stats. Here goes:

Against playoff teams, he was 2-4. In the 4 loses (MIA, SD, PIT, & IND), he scored a total of 48 points with 1 TD pass and 5 INT's, and an average QB rating of 49.

For the year, he played against a very weak schedule and poor pass defenses. The average rank of pass defense was 20.5 with only playing 3 teams in the top ten of which he was 1-2 with the win coming against Oakland (ranked 10). The win/loss records of the opponents was 123-133. He had only 3 games where he threw for over 300 yards. He was dead last in sacks last year with a whopping 47 (Collins had 8 and Cutler had 11).

Now to be fair, he did have some good games too. For the year, he was number 10 in rating and TD's passes, only threw 11 INT's, was number 11 in completion percentage, and number 8 in yards. Winning 11 games in the process. In the 2 wins against playoff teams (MIA & AZ), he threw 6 TD's against only 1 INT, scoring 95 points, with an average rating of 115.

I have a feeling Cassell is going to struggle outside of New England. Having Randy Moss and Wes Welker is a luxury that won't be available to him. I see a similarity between Cassell and Anderson from Cleveland last year. Teams will have a full year of tape to study and will exploit his youth and weaknesses. NE is paying him a ton and it's just too much to have tied up in one position, so I do think he will be traded. Go for it KC, but beware of what you get.

warcrychief
02-15-2009, 10:53 AM
I would like to see the Chiefs go after and pay a randsome for Cassell because I don't think he is all that great. I looked into his games and found some compelling stats. Here goes:

Against playoff teams, he was 2-4. In the 4 loses (MIA, SD, PIT, & IND), he scored a total of 48 points with 1 TD pass and 5 INT's, and an average QB rating of 49.

For the year, he played against a very weak schedule and poor pass defenses. The average rank of pass defense was 20.5 with only playing 3 teams in the top ten of which he was 1-2 with the win coming against Oakland (ranked 10). The win/loss records of the opponents was 123-133. He had only 3 games where he threw for over 300 yards. He was dead last in sacks last year with a whopping 47 (Collins had 8 and Cutler had 11).

Now to be fair, he did have some good games too. For the year, he was number 10 in rating and TD's passes, only threw 11 INT's, was number 11 in completion percentage, and number 8 in yards. Winning 11 games in the process. In the 2 wins against playoff teams (MIA & AZ), he threw 6 TD's against only 1 INT, scoring 95 points, with an average rating of 115.

I have a feeling Cassell is going to struggle outside of New England. Having Randy Moss and Wes Welker is a luxury that won't be available to him. I see a similarity between Cassell and Anderson from Cleveland last year. Teams will have a full year of tape to study and will exploit his youth and weaknesses. NE is paying him a ton and it's just too much to have tied up in one position, so I do think he will be traded. Go for it KC, but beware of what you get.

Yeah i think Pioli is too smart for that price. If he has to he just might wait until next year for him. There are just to many holes on the defense for them to spend 2 #1's on Cassell. Besides, he found Brady before. Im sure he could find someone close to work with Haley.

Magnificent Seven
02-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Yeah i think Pioli is too smart for that price. If he has to he just might wait until next year for him. There are just to many holes on the defense for them to spend 2 #1's on Cassell. Besides, he found Brady before. Im sure he could find someone close to work with Haley.

I think Chiefs want Tim Tebow for 2010.

Cugel
02-16-2009, 11:39 AM

The problem with waiting for a year to draft a starting QB is that it takes several years after that for him to be ready to lead your team to a SB. So, you're already saying that the Chiefs wait around THIS year with Thigpen, then draft someone like Tebow (when they might NOT have the pick to get him) and then let him learn the game for 2 seasons -- which takes us to the 2012 season before they're set at QB!

That doesn't sound like a great plan to me. :coffee:

Pioli needs to decide whether they think Thigpen is the long-term answer at QB. If so, then they address other needs, especially defense and forget about QB.

If not then they need to get their franchise QB THIS season so they can start coaching him and getting him ready. Now while everybody is giving them the benefit of the doubt because it's a brand new regime in KC is a good time to get it out of the way.

So, they need to decide whether Sanchez or Matt Stafford is their QB (unless the Lions grab one of them). If not, then they need to engineer a trade to get a franchise QB like Cassel.

There's a simple rule. You need a franchise QB to win in the NFL. If you don't have one you'd better get one when you have the chance. Then you coach that guy and build up your offensive line to keep him healthy. Then you build up your defense starting with the D-line.

So, yes, the Chiefs could wait a year and see what they have with Thigpen, but that's how coaches get fired!

Wait a year to see if your 7th round pick is really going to do the job at QB. Then it turns out he's not the answer, so you wasted one year. Then you draft a rookie and he's not ready to start, so that's a SECOND year wasted. Then the third year he's still relatively raw and makes a lot of mistakes learning to play in the NFL and your team suffers.

And then after three mediocre to crappy seasons you get fired! Sound familiar Herm Edwards? :coffee:

Say "thank you Brodie Croyle!"

So they need to come in and really decide whether they're going to sink or swim with Tyler Thigpen. If not then start over right now and get someone else immediately.

You don't wait a year and HOPE you have the answer at QB!

TXBRONC
02-16-2009, 12:39 PM
The problem with waiting for a year to draft a starting QB is that it takes several years after that for him to be ready to lead your team to a SB. So, you're already saying that the Chiefs wait around THIS year with Thigpen, then draft someone like Tebow (when they might NOT have the pick to get him) and then let him learn the game for 2 seasons -- which takes us to the 2012 season before they're set at QB!

This is true of any position that takes time to develop. Someone suggested that we wait until next season to draft the nose tackle from Alabama.

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-16-2009, 04:27 PM
I would like to see the chiefs overpay a few more players and continue to suck..lol

warcrychief
02-17-2009, 05:13 AM
So, yes, the Chiefs could wait a year and see what they have with Thigpen, but that's how coaches get fired!

Wait a year to see if your 7th round pick is really going to do the job at QB. Then it turns out he's not the answer, so you wasted one year. Then you draft a rookie and he's not ready to start, so that's a SECOND year wasted. Then the third year he's still relatively raw and makes a lot of mistakes learning to play in the NFL and your team suffers.

And then after three mediocre to crappy seasons you get fired! Sound familiar Herm Edwards? :coffee:

Say "thank you Brodie Croyle!"

So they need to come in and really decide whether they're going to sink or swim with Tyler Thigpen. If not then start over right now and get someone else immediately.

You don't wait a year and HOPE you have the answer at QB!

Pioli i believe smart enough to know that he needs to upgrade the QB postion this year. But IMO its Stafford or no 1st round QB. And there has been alot of talk like making a LJ for Cassell trade. And im not sold on Cassell, but who am i to question Pioli's drafting.

warcrychief
02-17-2009, 05:14 AM
I would like to see the chiefs overpay a few more players and continue to suck..lol

You mean like you guys lol those Carl Peterson days are over. :cool:

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-17-2009, 04:34 PM
you mean like you guys lol those carl peterson days are over. :cool:

no was talking about guys like kendrell bell..lol

NameUsedBefore
02-17-2009, 04:51 PM

I don't think Tebow is even being looked at all that seriously as an NFL QB, though.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-17-2009, 05:25 PM
I don't think Tebow is even being looked at all that seriously as an NFL QB, though.

Quite right.

Superchop 7
02-18-2009, 04:03 PM
This is true of any position that takes time to develop. Someone suggested that we wait until next season to draft the nose tackle from Alabama.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

Considering "nose tackle" is the QB of the defensive side of the ball......and you need a great one to have success in the 3-4.......yeah, I'd run a 4-3 this year and go get him next year.

Look, there isn't a great nose tackle in FA or the draft this year.

However, there are some hella-good linebackers and safeties.

Take what you can get.

We tried the force-fit with Moss, hopefully we learned our lesson.

TXBRONC
02-18-2009, 04:46 PM
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

Considering "nose tackle" is the QB of the defensive side of the ball......and you need a great one to have success in the 3-4.......yeah, I'd run a 4-3 this year and go get him next year.

Look, there isn't a great nose tackle in FA or the draft this year.

However, there are some hella-good linebackers and safeties.

Take what you can get.

We tried the force-fit with Moss, hopefully we learned our lesson.

Blah there is no guarantee that we'll even be in a position to able to draft that kid out of Alabama. If he's all that and a bag of chips (and I'm not saying he wont be) and we end up in a similar draft position then we wont be able to get him unless we're willing to give a lot of draft picks to get him.

I disagree with you about there not being any potential nose tackles in this year's draft.

warcrychief
02-18-2009, 07:33 PM
no was talking about guys like kendrell bell..lol

Who do you think signed him CARL PETERSON

warcrychief
02-18-2009, 07:34 PM

My guess he will be drafted on the second day.