PDA

View Full Version : Bowlen takes back the Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
02-14-2009, 10:12 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/13/bowlen-takes-back-broncos/

Pat Bowlen may not be the best messenger for his own message. In fact, he’s clearly not. Somehow, a man astute enough to chair the NFL’s labor committee with a potential labor war looming comes off as your confused uncle when he tries to explain what he’s doing with his own team.

But Bowlen’s moves to recast the Broncos organization over the past six weeks have not been as confused as they look.

The bottom line is he has reacquired his own franchise. It is as if he went out on the market and bought it all over again. That is the extent of the change he has wrought since firing Mike Shanahan on Dec. 30.

The Broncos owner, who turns 65 on Wednesday, woke up one morning and found himself on the outside looking in at his own business. It’s not clear exactly what morning that was, but it was probably a little more than a year ago, just before he made Joe Ellis the Broncos’ chief operating officer.

Until then, Ellis had been executive vice president of business operations in an organization divided along classic lines. The firewall between football decisions and business decisions might as well have been the constitutional separation of church and state.

As executive vice president of football operations, Shanahan had total control over the football side, which meant he could expand his coaching staff, as he did, expand his personnel department, as he did, make expensive personnel mistakes, as he did, and account to no one for any of it.

This was Bowlen’s own fault. He gave Shanahan all that power. He promised he could keep it as long as he liked. He fell in love with a coach, just as Shanahan often fell in love with players. As it often turns out, personal affection and business are not necessarily a great mix.

As time went on, Bowlen came to see he had little or no control over the business he owned. Despite the fact that he went to his office in Dove Valley every day, one of the NFL’s few full-time owners, success and failure, on both the field and the balance sheet, were out of his day-to-day control.

Had Shanahan succeeded on the field in recent years, Bowlen probably would have continued to live with being largely a spectator of his own franchise. But the combination of disappointment on the field and disappointment on the balance sheet wore him down.

“Nobody in pro sports can afford to operate in a vacuum with a division between football and business operations anymore,” Ellis said Friday.

“Whether we were or were not in the past is not the issue. The issue is moving forward we need to be synched up and work together as best we can. So that’s what we’re doing.”

It is in this context that the promotion of Brian Xanders to general manager this week and the firing of Jim Goodman and his son Jeff come into focus. The elder Goodman was an old-school Shanahan lieutenant — a football guy.

Xanders, with his background not only in personnel evaluation but player contracts and the nuances of the salary cap, is in a better position to provide the organizational accountability Bowlen is now determined to demand.

“I will tell you that when Pat Bowlen looked at Brian’s credentials, he saw a wide span of responsibility that he’s had in the 14 years that he was with the Atlanta Falcons and the nine months that he was here,” Ellis said.

The perception that the elder Goodman might follow Shanahan to his next destination and the easy chemistry Xanders and new head coach Josh McDaniels developed over the past month also helped Bowlen make his decision.

That Bowlen would suggest five weeks ago, upon hiring McDaniels, that Goodman would remain in place, and later claim that was only a public perception, is mainly a measure of his difficulty dealing with the spotlight.

Privately, he comes off as much more decisive, knowledgeable, opinionated and even profane. For some reason, speaking for public consumption turns him squirrelly. It has made much of what he’s said and done over the past two months appear contradictory.

On the other hand, give him credit for stepping up to the microphone, even if he hates it and isn’t very good at it. He shows much more respect for his fan base than the owner who refuses to be publicly accountable, insisting he runs a private business rather than a quasi-public trust.

In the current economic environment, the Broncos, like a lot of sports teams, intend to hold the line on ticket prices in 2009. In that context, they cannot be making financial decisions, even on the football side, without accountability.

“Pat has made it clear to everybody here that we are all accountable to him,” Ellis said. “There is full accountability in this building, with respect to business and football.”

So it is not that Bowlen wants to be Jerry Jones. Saying that Xanders and McDaniels will report to him does not mean he will be deciding whom to draft. That’s why a good working relationship between the GM and head coach is important. They must be able to reach a consensus between them.

A year ago, as the undefeated Patriots, with McDaniels as offensive coordinator, prepared to play the Giants in the Super Bowl, I asked Scott Pioli, then the Patriots’ vice president for player personnel, how he and head coach Bill Belichick worked together choosing players.

“I don’t know how to describe exactly what it is, but here’s what I know: There hasn’t been a player that we’ve brought here that Bill and I haven’t agreed on,” Pioli said.

“If there’s a player that Bill doesn’t like that I like, it’s kind of a feel thing. We get to a certain point and whoever believes in the player kind of stops pushing because Bill and I, we’ve been fortunate enough, I think, where if we agree on a player, we think we know that we have a pretty good chance. If we disagree, we trust the other person enough that they know something or they feel something that it’s not going to work. And we’ve never really pushed it (past) that point.”

This is the model Bowlen hopes to cultivate with Xanders and McDaniels. They are both rookies at their new jobs, so we’ll see.

But this much Bowlen has accomplished in the past two months: He now sits atop a streamlined, traditional organizational chart. There are no personal fiefdoms, no separate empires.

He has taken back his franchise. Now we’ll see if he can make it win.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-14-2009, 10:22 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_11705079

Hear that, Broncos fans?

The reconstruction of the team's roster has begun, ever so slowly.

None of the first transactions made by new coach Josh McDaniels and new general manager Brian Xanders this week made a splash.

Of the three running backs cut this week, only one (P.J. Pope) played, and he had only 17 carries. The tight end (Chad Mustard) and receiver (Cliff Russell) who were released combined for zero catches. The first defensive player cut, defensive tackle Josh Shaw, made two total tackles.

But brace for a deluge of changes to come.

"The task at hand is monumental," former Broncos lineman and current ESPN analyst Mark Schlereth said. "We've already seen the beginning of the roster purge."

When Pat Bowlen fired Jim Goodman and Jeff Goodman — two-thirds of the three-headed personnel team — and promoted Xanders on Thursday, the Broncos joined the Cleveland Browns and Kansas City Chiefs as the three NFL teams with a coach and general manager who had not been with their respective franchises at the 2008 draft.

That means the Broncos' roster will be disassembled then rebuilt by two men who have little attachment to any of the current players. Xanders was not hired as an assistant general manager until May 5.

If players — especially on defense — weren't anxious before, Thursday's personnel moves must have been unsettling.

"Certainly you would have to be more nervous," Schlereth said. "But it's a great thing to be looking over your shoulder, regardless of what position you play. You send a message out there that everybody's job is up for grabs."

OK, so maybe not every job.

Certainly guys like quarterback Jay Cutler, receivers Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal, left tackle Ryan Clady and cornerback Champ Bailey can sleep easy, knowing their roster spots are secure.

But many others, including several veterans — free agents (like linebacker Nate Webster and defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban) and players under contract (defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson) alike — should be wary, Schlereth said.

"There's a lot of work to do be done, let's just say that," he said.

The Broncos have 12 unrestricted free agents: quarterback Patrick Ramsey, running backs Tatum Bell and Michael Pittman, wide receivers Darrell Jackson and Edell Shepherd, tight end Jeb Putzier, center Tom Nalen, defensive linemen Ekuban and Kenny Peterson, Webster, cornerback Karl Paymah and safety Marlon McCree. Offensive lineman Erik Pears is a restricted free agent.

Cutler returns to Denver

After nearly a month of communicating over the phone and via text message, Cutler and McDaniels at last met face-to-face this week.

Cutler and McDaniels met for about two hours in an informal meeting at team headquarters Wednesday.

The two began discussing the Broncos' new playbook, which includes some major changes from the offense Cutler ran in his two full seasons as a starter under Mike Shanahan.

Cutler will spend the rest of February in Nashville, Tenn., before joining his teammates in Denver in March for the start of the team's offseason training program.

Combine starts Wednesday

McDaniels will embark on his first major trip as the Broncos' head coach this week when he travels to Indianapolis for the NFL combine, which runs from Wednesday to Feb. 24.

McDaniels passed on the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., and the Super Bowl in Tampa, Fla., both in late January, in order to stay in Denver and continue assembling his staff and evaluating players.

Ziggy
02-14-2009, 11:11 AM
The Patriots model has been the most successful this decade. I see absolutely no difference between our structure and thiers now. As long as the drafting and FA signings are successful, it will work. It's going to take some patience on our parts as fans, because we're starting off with the cupboard bare on the defensive side of the ball. This team isn't going to be turned around in 1 year, but if Bowlen sticks to this plan and gives coach McD a chance, I think good things could happen.

Shazam!
02-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Firing Shanahan and moving in a new direction is the best thing the Broncos have done since... Bringing IN Mike Shanahan and moving in a new direction in 1995. Ironic.

Lonestar
02-14-2009, 02:45 PM
well so much for a contract for life.. it was about time to take control..

although mikey is setting pretty for the next 3 years has 20+ million guaranteed income..

WARHORSE
02-14-2009, 03:35 PM
I hated Mikes firing, but Im eager to see what this young coach brings to the table.

Me thinks Bowlen has been having some nice talks with Kraft.

Both are class acts.

Bob Kraft is a dinosaur.

You dont find men like him much anymore.

That goes for many of the older owners.

Lonestar
02-14-2009, 04:12 PM
I like the direction the team is moving in. It's a new age in the NFL. I have no problem with the Broncos changing with the times. This franchise needs to be more efficient in their football operations. Lets get the most bang out of our buck.

Bowlen is a smart guy. I have a lot of faith in what he does.

wonder if we get new unis to go with all the change.. certainly could increase merchandising..

broncophan
02-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Firing Shanahan and moving in a new direction is the best thing the Broncos have done since... Bringing IN Mike Shanahan and moving in a new direction in 1995. Ironic.

Amazing......:confused: How do you know that?????.......when the "new direction" has yet to even start camp for the next season?????...............:confused:

Nomad
02-14-2009, 05:21 PM
wonder if we get new unis to go with all the change.. certainly could increase merchandising..

.....Some cool ideas here!!
http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=124635

Bronco Bible
02-14-2009, 05:50 PM

Those are some interesting looks I for one kind of think they are sharp looking!

Lonestar
02-14-2009, 07:36 PM

thanks but warn me next time about it being BC that is the frist time I've been back there in 14 months. I will now have to go in for an eye check up now..

Den21vsBal19
02-14-2009, 08:57 PM
thanks but warn me next time about it being BC that is the frist time I've been back there in 14 months. I will now have to go in for an eye check up now..
What's worse..............the white background or the brown & gold kit?

Lonestar
02-14-2009, 09:10 PM
What's worse..............the white background or the brown & gold kit?

What?

Superchop 7
02-15-2009, 01:02 AM
A bunch of "yes" men.

Nobody stands up for what they think or believe.

Great, perfect.

Pat Bowlen = Mr Burns

Joe Ellis = Smithers

Magnificent Seven
02-15-2009, 01:06 AM
Interesting post.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-15-2009, 04:01 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11707580

When Patrick Dennis Bowlen was introduced as the Broncos' new owner on March 23, 1984, he became a yes man.

No more.

Bowlen, a quarter-century into ownership and approaching 65, finally and emphatically said "no" to Mike Shanahan this past year, according to two Bowlen confidants who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Shanahan told Bowlen he wanted the owner to build a new practice facility. The Broncos' current headquarters in suburban Dove Valley was opened in 1990 and is named in honor of the owner's late father, Paul D. Bowlen. In 2004-05 the facility was renovated and expanded.

"Pat said no. Mike had gone too far. It was the only time Pat didn't say yes," one source said. The other said: "That was the beginning of the end of their professional relationship."

The end came because of a three-year record of 24-24, no division titles, no postseason participation, an atrocious defense, the decline of an NFL "crown jewel," the increasing unrest in the community concerning the coach, and the collapse at the close of the season (three consecutive defeats, concluded by the humiliation in San Diego). Add to that the frank realization by Bowlen that he was the titular head of the franchise, awareness that he wouldn't be condemned universally by media and fans, growing financial uncertainties and that request for a new building, and Bowlen decided to assume control, at last, of his foundering $1 billion empire.

The yes man said yes to himself.

Bowlen had said yes to virtually everything Dan Reeves (coach in 1984, also named vice president of the franchise in 1985) asked for until the owner fired him on Dec. 28, 1992.

For the next two years, the organization wandered aimlessly while Wade Phillips was the "interim" coach until Shanahan agreed to take over in 1995 as coach with, as the Broncos media guide emphasized the past season, "complete control of all aspects of football operations."

Bowlen said yes to Shanahan's football operations — and most of the other aspects of the operations.

Yes to free agents who cost Bowlen hundreds of millions of dollars in immediate bonuses and long-term salaries. (Travis Henry, Dale Carter, Daryl Gardener, Michael Dean Perry, Niko Koutouvides among the pricey busts.)

Yes to one of the largest and most expensive assistant coaching staffs in the NFL (six different defensive coordinators since 2000).

Yes to almost 50 trades, several for highly paid players who underachieved (Dewayne Robertson, Javon Walker and Dre Bly, for example).

Yes to firings (Ted Sundquist, general manager in name), yes to exclusions (John Elway), yes to hirings (father and son combinations), yes to drafted players and yes to troubled players.

What developed wasn't really anybody's fault. When Bowlen bought the team, he didn't know football. Without interference, Reeves coached the Broncos to three Super Bowls. Shanahan, who had an offer to stay with the 49ers and be the next head coach, would return to Denver only if he had full authority, and he, without interference, coached the Broncos to two Super Bowl championships.

Without interference, the franchise also has declined twice.

It wasn't as if the coach-in-command was a fresh idea in Denver.

In December 1959, Dean Griffing was named the Broncos' first general manager. Mostly, he selected the original ghastly uniforms and colors, and retrieved footballs from the stands after extra points (to limit expenses). He was fired in 1962 when second coach Jack Faulkner assumed the GM's role too. Lou Saban was appointed coach-general manager in 1967, and after he quit, John Ralston was selected his successor for both jobs. Shortly after the 1976 season, Ralston was dumped as general manager, then soon after as coach.

Red Miller served solely as coach from 1977 (the Broncos' first Super Bowl season) until 1980, and Fred Gehrke was the general manager. After Edgar Kaiser purchased the team from the Phipps family in early 1981, he fired both men and named Reeves coach and ex-Vikings lineman Grady Alderman as GM. Alderman disappeared quickly, replaced by Kaiser with his attorney/gofer Hein Poulus, who didn't know the shape of a football. He told me in 1992 he would cut Randy Gradishar's contract in half and considered doubling ticket prices. Kaiser was clueless as an owner, but, like a blind squirrel, had the greatest trade in Denver sports history fall into his lap.

When Bowlen arrived, the Broncos maintained a strong-coach-weak-general- manager organization. GM John Beake aided VP Reeves.

Over the years, Bowlen concentrated on dealing with league issues and committees, funding the team, learning more about football, choosing new "predominantly orange" uniforms and championship rings, giving his input on personnel changes and drafts, enjoying the Broncos' success and loathing their failures.

Now Bowlen has a coach who will coach and a general manager who will manage. They will work together, supposedly, and work under the owner.

Bowlen will be a yes man and a no man. And there will be more pressure on the head man.

Lonestar
02-15-2009, 04:07 PM
once again great find Carol..

Now wait for the mikey lovers to make light of it..

dogfish
02-16-2009, 05:00 AM
Cutler and McDaniels met for about two hours in an informal meeting at team headquarters Wednesday.

any report of whether jay spit in doogie's face and told him to go to hell?

It's going to take some patience on our parts as fans

oh man! :lol: the odds of that happening are AT LEAST as good as the odds that i'll marry scarlett johnnson this year. . . .

AND hook up with rene herlocker on the side. . . .

:laugh:

seriously, if whoever we draft in the first round isn't playing at an all-pro level by week three, a decent percentage of our fan base will be calling him a bust-- it's just the nature of the beast. . . .

Fan in Exile
02-16-2009, 07:06 AM
any report of whether jay spit in doogie's face and told him to go to hell?

oh man! :lol: the odds of that happening are AT LEAST as good as the odds that i'll marry scarlett johnnson this year. . . .

AND hook up with rene herlocker on the side. . . .

:laugh:

seriously, if whoever we draft in the first round isn't playing at an all-pro level by week three, a decent percentage of our fan base will be calling him a bust-- it's just the nature of the beast. . . .

You're just saying that because you're a draft lover Dogfish. ANYBODY with ANY kind of football sense can tell that he's a complete loser already. HE HASN'T DONE JACK. There's a reason he hasn't already made it on the field for crying out loud he's trying to compete with a bunch of losers. I'm not giving him until week three it's time to cut our losses now and trade for someone who's good. While we're at throw in Xgirl, and McLoser maybe we can get a ham sandwich for them.

Magnificent Seven
02-16-2009, 08:24 PM
When Patrick Dennis Bowlen was introduced as the Broncos' new owner on March 23, 1984, he became a yes man.

No more.

Bowlen, a quarter-century into ownership and approaching 65, finally and emphatically said "no" to Mike Shanahan this past year, according to two Bowlen confidants who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Shanahan told Bowlen he wanted the owner to build a new practice facility. The Broncos' current headquarters in suburban Dove Valley was opened in 1990 and is named in honor of the owner's late father, Paul D. Bowlen. In 2004-05 the facility was renovated and expanded.

"Pat said no. Mike had gone too far. It was the only time Pat didn't say yes," one source said. The other said: "That was the beginning of the end of their professional relationship."

The end came because of a three-year record of 24-24, no division titles, no postseason participation, an atrocious defense, the decline of an NFL "crown jewel," the increasing unrest in the community concerning the coach, and the collapse at the close of the season (three consecutive defeats, concluded by the humiliation in San Diego). Add to that the frank realization by Bowlen that he was the titular head of the franchise, awareness that he wouldn't be condemned universally by media and fans, growing financial uncertainties and that request for a new building, and Bowlen decided to assume control, at last, of his foundering $1 billion empire.

The yes man said yes to himself.

Bowlen had said yes to virtually everything Dan Reeves (coach in 1984, also named vice president of the franchise in 1985) asked for until the owner fired him on Dec. 28, 1992.

For the next two years, the organization wandered aimlessly while Wade Phillips was the "interim" coach until Shana- han agreed to take over in 1995 as coach with, as the Broncos media guide emphasized the past season, "complete control of all aspects of football operations."

Bowlen said yes to Shanahan's football operations — and most of the other aspects of the operations.

Yes to free agents who cost Bowlen hundreds of millions of dollars in immediate bonuses and long-term salaries. (Travis Henry, Dale Carter, Daryl Gardener, Michael Dean Perry, Niko Koutouvides among the pricey busts.)

Yes to one of the largest and most expensive assistant coaching staffs in the NFL (six different defensive coordinators since 2000).

Yes to almost 50 trades, several for highly paid players who underachieved (Dewayne Robertson, Javon Walker and Dre Bly, for example).

Yes to firings (Ted Sundquist, general manager in name), yes to exclusions (John Elway), yes to hirings (father and son combinations), yes to drafted players and yes to troubled players.

What developed wasn't really anybody's fault. When Bowlen bought the team, he didn't know football. Without interference, Reeves coached the Broncos to three Super Bowls. Shanahan, who had an offer to stay with the 49ers and be the next head coach, would return to Denver only if he had full authority, and he, without interference, coached the Broncos to two Super Bowl championships.

Without interference, the franchise also has declined twice.

It wasn't as if the coach-in-command was a fresh idea in Denver.

In December 1959, Dean Griffing was named the Broncos' first general manager. Mostly, he selected the original ghastly uniforms and colors, and retrieved footballs from the stands after extra points (to limit expenses). He was fired in 1962 when second coach Jack Faulkner assumed the GM's role too. Lou Saban was appointed coach-general manager in 1967, and after he quit, John Ralston was selected his successor for both jobs. Shortly after the 1976 season, Ralston was dumped as general manager, then soon after as coach.

Red Miller served solely as coach from 1977 (the Broncos' first Super Bowl season) until 1980, and Fred Gehrke was the general manager. After Edgar Kaiser purchased the team from the Phipps family in early 1981, he fired both men and named Reeves coach and ex-Vikings lineman Grady Alderman as GM. Alderman disappeared quickly, replaced by Kaiser with his attorney/gofer Hein Poulus, who didn't know the shape of a football. He told me in 1992 he would cut Randy Gradishar's contract in half and considered doubling ticket prices. Kaiser was clueless as an owner, but, like a blind squirrel, had the greatest trade in Denver sports history fall into his lap.

When Bowlen arrived, the Broncos maintained a strong-coach-weak-general- manager organization. GM John Beake aided VP Reeves.

Over the years, Bowlen concentrated on dealing with league issues and committees, funding the team, learning more about football, choosing new "predominantly orange" uniforms and championship rings, giving his input on personnel changes and drafts, enjoying the Broncos' success and loathing their failures.

Now Bowlen has a coach who will coach and a general manager who will manage. They will work together, supposedly, and work under the owner.

Bowlen will be a yes man and a no man. And there will be more pressure on the head man.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11707580