PDA

View Full Version : Oakland All but Assured Playoff Berth with Win

Joel
12-27-2011, 10:24 PM
If Baltimore beats Cincy again (not a given, but likely; they only phone it in against WEAK teams,) Oakland is in with a win--WHATEVER we do. They will be very motivated; we must EARN the AFC West Championship.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

camdisco24
12-27-2011, 10:32 PM
I don't see SD beating Oakland.

We cannot depend on them at all! Interesting that Oak might be able to get in though...

I'd prefer to WIN it outright, so let's go get em'!

Northman
12-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Cincy has something to play for as well though. It wont be that easy as Bmore has been inconsistent this year.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-27-2011, 10:37 PM
If we win, Oakland still has a shot at wildcard, with a lot of ifs: The only way the Broncos make the playoffs is to win the division.

http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_19622235

Northman
12-27-2011, 10:39 PM
If we win, Oakland still has a shot at wildcard, with a lot of ifs: The only way the Broncos make the playoffs is to win the division.

Well, actually if Oak loses we still get in even with a loss because of the tiebreakers.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Well, actually if Oak loses we still get in even with a loss because of the tiebreakers.

True - I was talking about if we win, and Oakland wins, they can still get in as a wildcard with a lot of "ifs happening".

CrazyHorse
12-28-2011, 01:18 AM
I have a feeling the Raiders, Titans, and Bengals lose having the Jets miraculously make it.

BroncoBJ
12-28-2011, 03:00 AM
I have a feeling the Raiders, Titans, and Bengals lose having the Jets miraculously make it.

And then Rex will be guaranteeing another Superbowl :lol:

TXBRONC
12-28-2011, 03:30 AM
I don't see SD beating Oakland.

We cannot depend on them at all! Interesting that Oak might be able to get in though...

I'd prefer to WIN it outright, so let's go get em'!

If Denver's is going to make the playoffs I don't want them to do it by backing into it.

BroncoStud
12-28-2011, 07:10 AM
If Denver's is going to make the playoffs I don't want them to do it by backing into it.

I want them in however they get there.

TXBRONC
12-28-2011, 12:38 PM
I want them in however they get there.

Sure I'll take it but I would much rather win our way in.

skins_fan82
12-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Wait...I'm confused. Are we talking a wild card birth for oakland?

I thought if the Broncos win on Sunday against KC, they're in. Denver wins the AFC West...period.

underrated29
12-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Oakland is a super scary team. Plus if they do get into the playoffs, they will likely have RUN DMC back. Good news is if we both get in, we wont face each other until the AFCCG.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-28-2011, 02:41 PM

I thought if the Broncos win on Sunday against KC, they're in. Denver wins the AFC West...period.

True - if the Broncos win, they win the AFC West. If Oakland also wins, they have a shot at a wildcard, depending on what happens with some other AFC teams. The only way the Broncos make the playoffs is to win the division, which is to beat KC, or if they lose to KC, Oakland also needs to lose to SD.

TXBRONC
12-28-2011, 03:03 PM

Yes Denver wins they're in as the division champs evenso the Raiders still have a chance to make the playoffs with a win and some help.

UnderArmour
12-28-2011, 03:13 PM
I don't see Oakland beating San Diego. San Diego is just too good in December, Lions game aside. The Lions had the D-Line to batter the Chargers glaring holes on O-Line but I'm not sure Oakland has the elite level of talent to force that same pressure on Rivers with just 4 guys. Even though San Diego has "nothing to play for" I still think they are going to come out strong.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-28-2011, 03:34 PM
I don't see Oakland beating San Diego. San Diego is just too good in December, Lions game aside. The Lions had the D-Line to batter the Chargers glaring holes on O-Line but I'm not sure Oakland has the elite level of talent to force that same pressure on Rivers with just 4 guys. Even though San Diego has "nothing to play for" I still think they are going to come out strong.

Unless SD does what some teams do when they are out of the playoff picture - i.e. play a bunch of young players to see what they have for next season. But also, Turner's job is on the line, so possibly he would not do that, as he may be thinking a win may help his future. Hard to tell which way SD will go.

NightTerror218
12-28-2011, 03:39 PM

We have tie breaks over all the other teams except Tenn

NightTerror218
12-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Unless SD does what some teams do when they are out of the playoff picture - i.e. play a bunch of young players to see what they have for next season. But also, Turner's job is on the line, so possibly he would not do that, as he may be thinking a win may help his future. Hard to tell which way SD will go.

SD can win Division if we lose and they beat Oakland. So they are going to go all out.

TXBRONC
12-28-2011, 03:42 PM

That's true over the past several years the Chargers have played their best football in December however, Sunday wont be December it will be January. :D

TXBRONC
12-28-2011, 03:44 PM

I think Turner's fate is already sealed irregardless of what happens in their game against the Raiders.

BroncoJoe
SD can win Division if we lose and they beat Oakland. So they are going to go all out.

Chargers have been eliminated.

topscribe
I see a SD win. Oakland isn't that good, IMO. I don't know how
Oakland is going to stop Rivers/Gates/Jackson.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Recap: This was a disappointing day for San Diego, which had renewed playoff hopes after a three-game winning streak in which the Chargers outscored its opponents 109-38. The Detroit Lions jumped all over the Chargers and led 24-0. San Diego has been eliminated from the playoffs and coach Norv Turner and general manager A.J. Smith could be out the door.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/37567/san-diego-chargers-moving-on-11

TXBRONC
12-28-2011, 03:48 PM

No they can't. They would have to finish with a better record than us or the Raiders. If the Broncos, Raiders, and Chargers all 8-8 by the end of the day on Sunday we divison because of tie breakers.

topscribe
12-28-2011, 03:49 PM

Recap: This was a disappointing day for San Diego, which had renewed playoff hopes after a three-game winning streak in which the Chargers outscored its opponents 109-38. The Detroit Lions jumped all over the Chargers and led 24-0. San Diego has been eliminated from the playoffs and coach Norv Turner and general manager A.J. Smith could be out the door.

No they can't. They would have to finish with a better record than us or the Raiders. If the Broncos, Raiders, and Chargers all 8-8 by the end of the day on Sunday we divison because of tie breakers.

Okay, now that we have that settled . . . :D

skins_fan82
12-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Oh okay, thanks for the clarification TexasBronc and Denver Native.

NightTerror218
12-28-2011, 05:03 PM

How are they eliminated when they are 7-8, we are 8-7 and oakland is 8-7?

If we lose and SD wins we are all 8-8. We will all be tied in the division at 3-3 and SD will have a 7-5 conference while we will have a 6-6 along with oakland.

What am I missing that eliminates them from winning the division? Chiefs are 6-9 and can not make the playoffs and can not have a winning season.

NightTerror218
12-28-2011, 05:05 PM

Nope. They will have the better conference record because most of their losses were too NFC.

NightTerror218
12-28-2011, 05:05 PM

Some people are jumping all over the BW for that post because he is an idiot for saying they are out of it when they are not.

BroncoJoe
12-28-2011, 05:10 PM

If we lose and SD wins we are all 8-8. We will all be tied in the division at 3-3 and SD will have a 7-5 conference while we will have a 6-6 along with oakland.

What am I missing that eliminates them from winning the division? Chiefs are 6-9 and can not make the playoffs and can not have a winning season.

Just posting what all the sites state. Not sure how all the tie-breakers work, but I'd guess you're off on the conference records.

BroncoJoe
12-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Nope. They will have the better conference record because most of their losses were too NFC.

Common opponent comes before conference record, according to http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Two Clubs

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

NightTerror218
12-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Just posting what all the sites state. Not sure how all the tie-breakers work, but I'd guess you're off on the conference records.

Tie breakers for division go based on record, then division record then conference record.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings

Look at the standing yourself. SD will have the better conference record. Den/Oak went 2-2 against NFC North, SD went 1-3. They have more losses to NFC then we do. We split.

BroncoJoe
12-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Tie breakers for division go based on record, then division record then conference record.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings

Look at the standing yourself. SD will have the better conference record. Den/Oak went 2-2 against NFC North, SD went 1-3. They have more losses to NFC then we do. We split.

See above.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Some people are jumping all over the BW for that post because he is an idiot for saying they are out of it when they are not.

San Diego is out of the playoff picture: Here is another article:

Winning three straight after a six-game skid gave the Chargers (7-8) hope late in the season, but their slim playoff hopes were dashed Christmas Eve when they lost 38-10 at Detroit and the Bengals defeated Arizona.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/preview/NFL_20120101_SD@OAK/chargersraiders-preview

AND - FROM THE OFFICIAL CHARGERS WEBSITE:

No playoffs for Bolts

San Diego (7-8) fell out of playoff contention with a 38-10 loss at Detroit (10-5) on Saturday.

DETROIT – The Chargers’ three-game win streak was admirable, considering the injuries, bad bounces and turnovers that plagued San Diego in its fall to 4-7.

But for a second straight season, a December run toward the playoffs did not yield a positive result, as San Diego (7-8) was eliminated from contention Saturday with a loss at Detroit (10-5).

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/No-playoffs-for-Bolts/ea4991a9-76a1-4007-8640-514c7b19ed93

TXBRONC
12-28-2011, 05:18 PM

Yes we'll all be tied but because the tie breakes the Chargers had to finish with a better record than us in order to win the division. Since they can't take the division if we have the same record there is no way in hell they leap frog us to get into the playoffs as a wild card.

BroncoJoe
12-28-2011, 05:23 PM

Because they ARE ELIMINATED.

It's not brain surgery.

CrazyHorse
12-29-2011, 08:16 PM
And then Rex will be guaranteeing another Superbowl :lol:

Perhaps. If they make it to the AFCCG though it would be easier for the Broncos to make the Super Bowl. I have
Broncos defeat Stealers.
Jets defeat Texans.
Broncos defeat Ravens.
Jets defeat Pansies.
Broncos defeat Jets.
Broncos defeat heavily favored Packers in Super Bowl XXXII rematch.

Joel
12-29-2011, 10:58 PM

A wildcard, yes; sorry I was unclear. Once Detroit beat Oakland we would "clinch" with a win against KC (if you can call it "clinching" in week 17,) and win anyway if SD beats Oakland (which they couldn't do at home.)

My point was Oakland has additional motivation to win even apart from the Division title, because even if we beat KC that would give them a wildcard if the Ravens beat the Bengals (which is likely, though they only won by a TD in Baltimore) because they have tiebreaks over the Titans and Jets. In other words, all WE have to do is win our game (which is the only way we can make the playoffs,) but Oakland needs a win AND

1) A Denver loss (which gives them the AFC West) OR
2) A Bengals loss (which gives them the second wildcard.)

We have tie breaks over all the other teams except Tenn
Cincinatti already has 9 wins: Tiebreaks only matter if TIED; the only way we get 9 wins is to beat KC and win the Division outright. If we don't, the wildcards will be Pitt/Baltimore+the 9-7 team that wins the tiebreak.

After Divison record, the next tiebreak is record against common opponents, THEN Conference record. SD has 7 losses against our common opponents AND Oaklands (because they lost to both of us once--so far.)
http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

I expect Oakland and SD will BOTH go all out, Oakland for the above reasons and SD because, though the fate of everyone from their GM down to the waterboy probably IS sealed at this point, it's not guaranteed, and everyone from the GM down to the waterboy is playing for their jobs this weekend. Oakland's still a better team, IMHO, and playing at home, so I think they'll win. That means 1) they're probably going to the playoffs whatever we do and 2) if we LOSE, our only hope of making the playoffs (Oakland losing, too) is rather faint.