PDA

View Full Version : Where will Mike Shanahan end up?

Denver Native (Carol)
02-13-2009, 04:25 PM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest/0-3-1554/Where-will-Mike-Shanahan-end-up-.html

Where will Mike Shanahan end up?

February 13, 2009 11:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

Now that every NFL team has a head coach (all of the jobs were filled when Oakland and Kansas City made hires last week), barring an unforeseen bombshell, Mike Shanahan will be taking the 2009 season off.

It will be Shanahan's first season away from being a head coach in the NFL since he was hired by the Denver Broncos in 1995. Denver unexpectedly fired Shanahan on Dec. 30 after 14 seasons with the team.

Shanahan said shortly after he was fired that he will definitely coach in the NFL again, and that he would require a special situation to coach in 2009. Several teams poked around Shanahan, but he opted to wait for an ideal situation.

He will now be part of an all-star cast of Super Bowl-winning coaches who could come back to the league in 2010. The others are Bill Cowher, Mike Holmgren and Jon Gruden. Shanahan will be as sought after as any of the coaches because of his pedigree, his offensive resume and his ability to lead a franchise.

Here is a look, alphabetically, at some of the potential fits for the former longtime Denver czar after the 2009 season:

Cincinnati Bengals

Why: If the Bengals struggle again, coach Marvin Lewis will likely be in real trouble. The Bengals have a good passing game and Shanahan would have an instant centerpiece in quarterback Carson Palmer. Just like in Denver, Shanahan's biggest issue would be defense.

Stumbling block: Hiring a big-name, big-dollar coach such as Shanahan would be way out of character for the Bengals and Shanahan would likely have sexier options.

Chances: Not high.

Dallas Cowboys

Why: This is the sexiest possibility for Shanahan, and it has to be considered a favorite for his next landing spot. It has already been reported that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones could consider Shanahan next year if coach Wade Phillips fails to deliver big in 2009. Shanahan, many league insiders believe, would be a perfect fit with Jones.

Shanahan would love the spotlight that comes with being the Cowboys' coach and he and Jones are very friendly. Shanahan also would crave the chance to work with the offensive weapons Dallas possesses. He is a big Tony Romo fan (he tried to sign him out Eastern Illinois, which by the way is also Shanahan's alma mater) and Shanahan wouldn't be scared off by the presence of Terrell Owens. Shanahan entertained the thought of bringing Owens to Denver three years ago.

Stumbling block: Jones has publicly said he may be weary of bringing in a big-name coach. Also, if the Cowboys make a long playoff run in 2009, all bets are likely off.

Chances: Pretty strong.

Minnesota Vikings

Why: Shanahan has Minneapolis ties and he'd ignite some excitement in a team that needs a spark on offense, especially in the passing game. The defense is set in Minnesota. The team needs some life on offense. Imagine what a run-game guru like Shanahan could do with Adrian Peterson.

Stumbling block: Vikings coach Brad Childress won't be in trouble unless he takes a few steps back. Childress put himself in good graces again with a division title in 2008. Plus, the Vikings could have issues raising the funds to entice a name of Shanahan's caliber.

Chances: It would be an upset.

San Diego Chargers

Why: Some around the league think in the back of Shanahan's mind that this could be his dream job. The Chargers are loaded. They have a star quarterback in Philip Rivers and they are in the AFC West, where Shanahan would have the chance to torment Al Davis and Pat Bowlen, the two men who fired him.

Stumbling block: The only way this could be possible is if the Chargers lose the division. Let's face it: Because the rest of the division is so weak, if San Diego doesn't win the division, changes could be on the way. But with a healthy Shawne Merriman coming back and better overall health, San Diego enters the season as a heavy favorite to win the AFC West again.

Chances: If the right things happened, it could fall into place.

Washington Redskins

Why: If Jim Zorn doesn't turn the corner in a tough division, it wouldn't be a shock if Daniel Snyder made a move. Hiring Shanahan would be a big splash that Snyder has been known for. Shanahan has friends in the Redskins' organization, and he would be comfortable working with Clinton Portis again. The idea of working with quarterback Jason Campbell would likely be appealing as well.

Stumbling block: Maybe Snyder and Shanahan couldn't work together. He is used to a hands-off boss in Bowlen.

Chances: Don't sleep on this possibility.

Magnificent Seven
02-13-2009, 04:36 PM
He might head to Dallas. I know Jerry Jones has a plan after season '09. He will probably fire Wade Phillips and hire Shanahan.

BigAL56
02-13-2009, 04:49 PM
All I know is I don't want to see him in San Diego

Lonestar
02-13-2009, 04:51 PM
I heard Cherry Creek HS is looking for a new OC..:salute:

dogfish
02-13-2009, 06:13 PM
hopefully not in a box under a bridge like lawrence taylor. . . .

Ziggy
02-13-2009, 06:15 PM
San Fran

BigAL56
02-13-2009, 06:19 PM
I would love to see him in San Fran to finish up

Magnificent Seven
02-13-2009, 06:24 PM
San Fran

Niners have decided to keep Mike Singletary.

Ziggy
02-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Niners have decided to keep Mike Singletary.

I know. I'm not talking about this season.

Magnificent Seven
02-13-2009, 06:26 PM
Or... Mike Shanahan might coach a LA team in future. Possibly reunited with John Elway. I heard that Elway wants to own a LA team.

omac
02-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Nice article, Carol. :salute:

I don't agree with their assessment of the Chargers and Redskins situation, though. No way will Mike be able to co-exist with A.J., who got Marty fired so he could hire a coach he could control in Norv.

With the Redskins, the opportunity to work with Jason Campbell? I seriously doubt he's the QB that Shanahan wants. Shanny wants someone who can absorb complex offensive gameplans that are tailored to each team they play week after week. He also wants someone who can read defenses and make quick decisions. No way does that sound anything like Jason Campbell.

Northman
02-13-2009, 07:01 PM
I think if anywhere it would be Dallas. The stars are alligned there. (no pun intended)

Magnificent Seven
02-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Or... Mike Shanahan might coach a LA team in future. Possibly reunited with John Elway. I heard that Elway wants to own a LA team.

I have a funny feeling about Elway and Shanahan. They might hide and discuss secretly about LA team. They could haunt Pat Bowlen in future.

Lonestar
02-13-2009, 07:06 PM
considering there are 5-6 good old coaches out there 3-4 with Superbowl rings among them and NONE of them got nibbles this year. While a bunch of young unknowns got hired..

I'd say beggars can't be choosers..

Grover
02-13-2009, 07:46 PM
I'd say beggars can't be choosers..

Only beggar I know of with a $7,000,000 guaranteed salary. :nixon:

I'm not criticizing your post, it just struck me as funny given the circumstances.

BroncoJoe
02-13-2009, 07:53 PM
I have a funny feeling about Elway and Shanahan. They might hide and discuss secretly about LA team. They could haunt Pat Bowlen in future.

IMO, that's a LONG WAY out in the future. I can't see any team owner (realistically) selling and the team moving to LA at this point.

BigAL56
02-13-2009, 07:54 PM
I would love it. Get to drive and watch someone other than the chargers for once...eh

Lonestar
02-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Only beggar I know of with a $7,000,000 guaranteed salary. :nixon:

I'm not criticizing your post, it just struck me as funny given the circumstances.

when it comes to working he just may not have alot of options..

Cowher, Gruden, holmgren, marty, mikey are just a few of the veteran coaches out there that may looking for jobs next year..

since there were 11 changes IIRC this year alone that really take 11 jobs out of 32 out of the draw unless one or more of them epically fails.. unlikely that the owners would pull the plug that fast MIA and ATL are not going to be in the mix so now we are up to 13 teams..

I think PIT, NE, HOU, TEN, NYG, PHL, SFO, PHX and GB are also golden..

The trend over the past two years has been going with kiddy coaches to I'm guessing keep the cost down..

Mikey may be sucking hind teat next year..AGAIN..

Lonestar
02-13-2009, 09:03 PM
IMO, that's a LONG WAY out in the future. I can't see any team owner (realistically) selling and the team moving to LA at this point.

PHX was rumored a few years ago, but I think they are staying put for a while.. San is a maybe cause of stadium issues.. but they come equipped with an owner, coach and GM..

Magnificent Seven
02-13-2009, 09:06 PM
PHX was rumored a few years ago, but I think they are staying put for a while.. San is a maybe cause of stadium issues.. but they come equipped with an owner, coach and GM..

San ?

Magnificent Seven
02-13-2009, 09:09 PM
The 49ers might share with new stadium with the Raiders. However, the 49ers' new stadium will be located in Santa Clara, CA. Close to Palo Alto (Stanford University)

Al Davis is dying and Raiders might be on market. They might move to LA. Same thing goes for Jaguars and Chargers.

Hobe
02-13-2009, 09:25 PM
Cincinnati Bengals – No way! Shanny won’t land in Cinnci because god hate Cinncinnati.

Dallas Cowboys – I still think this is the most likely landing spot for Shanny; next year. The Cowboys will fall apart again and Owens will call Jerry a rude name.

Minnesota Vikings – Shanny does like Domes.

San Diego Chargers – An’t gon’a happen! A.J. Smith and Shanny both have big egos. If Shanny interviews at San Diego Smith and Shanny will probably get into a fight in the interview. Smith with have to go before Shanny could come.

Washington Redskins - :rofl:

I think it will be somewhere else. How about the Titans? They come close and fail. How long can Fisher hang on? Jacksonville? Philly?

Maybe he’ll just coach all four teams in the UFL.:D

Krugan
02-13-2009, 09:32 PM
Not anywhere for 2 years.

He will be sitting in his huge ole house enjoying things he hasnt been able to enjoy for several years. Then im guessing San Diego. Just a hunch.

Ziggy
02-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Cincinnati Bengals – No way! Shanny won’t land in Cinnci because god hate Cinncinnati.

Dallas Cowboys – I still think this is the most likely landing spot for Shanny; next year. The Cowboys will fall apart again and Owens will call Jerry a rude name.
Minnesota Vikings – Shanny does like Domes.

San Diego Chargers – An’t gon’a happen! A.J. Smith and Shanny both have big egos. If Shanny interviews at San Diego Smith and Shanny will probably get into a fight in the interview. Smith with have to go before Shanny could come.
Washington Redskins - :rofl:

I think it will be somewhere else. How about the Titans? They come close and fail. How long can Fisher hang on? Jacksonville? Philly?

Maybe he’ll just coach all four teams in the UFL.:D

So you don't think Shanny will go to the Chargers because AJ Smith has a big ego, but you think he will go to the Cowboys where Jerry Jones is? :confused:

Watchthemiddle
02-13-2009, 09:43 PM
when it comes to working he just may not have alot of options..

Cowher, Gruden, holmgren, marty, mikey are just a few of the veteran coaches out there that may looking for jobs next year..

since there were 11 changes IIRC this year alone that really take 11 jobs out of 32 out of the draw unless one or more of them epically fails.. unlikely that the owners would pull the plug that fast MIA and ATL are not going to be in the mix so now we are up to 13 teams..

I think PIT, NE, HOU, TEN, NYG, PHL, SFO, PHX and GB are also golden..

The trend over the past two years has been going with kiddy coaches to I'm guessing keep the cost down..

Mikey may be sucking hind teat next year..AGAIN..

Reference all the 'older" coaches, I think it will be determined on how well all the new young pups do this year and seasons to follow before Shanny or the other Veteran coaches get calls.

The new trend it seems these days is to go with the young blood.

Devilspawn
02-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Shanny goes back to the west. But not our west. And not that team.

Seattle. Mora will not be good enough.

Lonestar
02-14-2009, 12:49 AM
San ?SAN is the airport code from San Diego..

Lonestar
02-14-2009, 12:57 AM
Reference all the 'older" coaches, I think it will be determined on how well all the new young pups do this year and seasons to follow before Shanny or the other Veteran coaches get calls.

The new trend it seems these days is to go with the young blood.

I agree it all depends but Unless someone has a REAL brain fart they are not going to know in ONE year..

Most of the teams that replaced coaches this year had a real great reason to.. in some cases the team flat out sucked..DET for example anyone there that thinks the new kid is not going to get a few years to build the shambles up is kidding themselves..

DEN has a one sided team and frankly easier to build a Offense if you have ONE prime ingredient a talented QB.. the defense however is in total disrepair.. it is going to take a couple of years just to get some talent to build on. Much like SAN was before the got merriman and company drafted and playing together a couple of years and BAM they are terrific.

Grover
02-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Good thoughts in this thread....

I agree that with so many experienced (older) coaches available next year, and with the younger head guys probably getting a few years to prove themselves, that not every older coach will get the job he wants in coaching.

I think one of the keys for Shanahan landing work as a coach will be if he is willing to cut back on his responsibilities and overall control. He obviously won't ever come back as an Offensive Coordinator (like other fired head coaches have done); but would he be willing to come back as a Head Coach and not have overall control of Football operations? Whether he can or can't will play a big role on whether a GM or Owner will make him a Head Coaching offer, and how many teams would want his services.

Lonestar
02-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Good thoughts in this thread....

I agree that with so many experienced (older) coaches available next year, and with the younger head guys probably getting a few years to prove themselves, that not every older coach will get the job he wants in coaching.

I think one of the keys for Shanahan landing work as a coach will be if he is willing to cut back on his responsibilities and overall control. He obviously won't ever come back as an Offensive Coordinator (like other fired head coaches have done); but would he be willing to come back as a Head Coach and not have overall control of Football operations? Whether he can or can't will play a big role on whether a GM or Owner will make him a Head Coaching offer, and how many teams would want his services.

I can see him going to a team as HC or OC , But the chances of him getting the same deal he had in DEN are beyond slim and none..

I'll bet there a few owners that would be stupid enough to give him GM/ player acquisition duties after seeing how bad he screwed the pooch in DEN fro over a decade.. Him having 1.5 good draft years, does not equal or balance the scales with the total FUBAR on Defense the past 10 years or so.... If the run D was good the pass D sucked or vice versa.. There was NO coherent plan there since the DC Greg Robinson from the Super bowl years left..

But bringing him in as a HC that has a strong GM making the the personnel decisions including hiring of his coaching staff and all player picks could be a great deal for the team..

Does anyone ever seeing mikey being subordinate to a GM? He has more money than he needs unless his new house is a billion dollars..

Sounds like he will become the head bartender at his restaurant..

Magnificent Seven
02-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Maybe he’ll just coach all four teams in the UFL.:D[/QUOTE]

Or he coaches Elway's AFL team. :beer:

Dirk
02-16-2009, 07:36 AM
I know that Shanny has an ego to match the best of them...but

If I were Shanny, I would kick back, enjoy the "free" funds coming my way and enjoy life and not worry about it.

If only I could grab a deal where I could be paid that much jack to sit at home and watch the games each week. :cool:

With that being said, I think that it will be a toss up for the Cowboys between Shanny and Cowher. With Shanny winning in the end. Offense sells tickets and we all know that Jones is all about the SELL, SELL and SELL some more mentallity. I like Wade but I think if he doesn't go deep into the playoffs this upcoming season, he will be shown the door.