PDA

View Full Version : Was it 12 straight run plays in the 2nd?

Flex040679
12-26-2011, 01:16 AM
Given the chance to play a normal game without 9 to 12 straight running plays (2nd qtr) after a well done 1st qtr... and a phantom penalty on a kick off return an a no call on an obvious pass interference against Decker...

WTF is Mccoy thinking?

The 4th & inches marks the first time in very short yds that genius coordinator knew he could run Tebow right behind center which I thought would be obvious instead of handing off the ball 4yds deep to come up short everytime.

Adapt or the seasons over

Elevation inc
12-26-2011, 07:29 AM
whats happening is that scheme and unconventional thinking is why we lead the league in rushing, but for some reason, fans, media and the coaches belive its our interior OL doing the damage. whats really happening is our Ol is getting owned all over the field in bad ways the last few eeks now that defenses know whats coming. Basically our Ol isnt executing for crap. Mccoy seems to think things will miracoulously fix themeselves as evidenced by his playcalling. Then when the rush was on a tebow was frazzled, he kept dialing up long bombs instead of focusing on checkdowns, and throws to the sidleine and markers.....basically mccoy has sucked horribly as a playcaller all year, but we confused defense with the whole option and look thing, now we have been figured out and mccoy doesnt adjust he just keeps doing teh same thing over and over again. To be honest this is like when we went 6-0 in 2009 as our passing offense threw teams off for the first 6 ga,mes then the ravens figured us out, smashed us in the mouth, and MCD decided to be to proud to adjust, thats whats going on here. Also we have such a penchant for wanting miller on the field at all times as a rusher, that when in our nickle looks we get destroyed by the opposing rush offense. yet in a 4 man front we dont....personally the coaching has been horrible the last 3 weeks.

But i still think we will be fine, if mccoy just lets tebow play....

broncobryce
12-26-2011, 10:22 AM
It better stop next week. Denver has to win against Orton, or Elway looks like a fool for letting Orton walk for nothing.

BigDaddyBronco
12-26-2011, 10:24 AM
I don't blame Elway, Bowlen wanted Orton gone to save some money. If he was a disruption in the locker room then it makes sense, otherwise it could come back to bite us.

Nomad
12-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Not too concerned with Orton as far as big plays...though those little dumpoffs to McCluster and McClain could kill the BRONCOS and Battle or Jones having a career day.

I have the BRONCOS winning. Btw, What does McCoy have to lose...open up the playbook as someone said before.....this is a BRONCOS playoff game.

SpringsBroncoFan
12-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Given the chance to play a normal game without 9 to 12 straight running plays (2nd qtr) after a well done 1st qtr... and a phantom penalty on a kick off return an a no call on an obvious pass interference against Decker...

WTF is Mccoy thinking?

The 4th & inches marks the first time in very short yds that genius coordinator knew he could run Tebow right behind center which I thought would be obvious instead of handing off the ball 4yds deep to come up short everytime.

Adapt or the seasons over

I'd say McCoy is thinking that while Walton does pretty good holding penetration the odds are not good that Walton is going to get any push on Darius or any other huge DL.

Add to that Beadles getting caved at the line so the only option on a QB sneak is to go behind Kuper which puts the odds against us - because that's what would be expected.

It'd be fun to see them shake it up going quick by swapping Beadles & Franklin or also inserting Clark if there are any substitutions.

zbeg
12-26-2011, 04:08 PM
Because we saw what happened when Tebow was airing it out late in the game.

I love the guy, but he's not a good every-down dropback passer. Yet. He misread the safety on at least two of the INTs, which is a rookie mistake.

karnage
12-26-2011, 04:47 PM

I love the guy, but he's not a good every-down dropback passer. Yet. He misread the safety on at least two of the INTs, which is a rookie mistake.

There is a huge difference between....passing while mixing it up with the run and.....being behind 2+ scores and dialing up verts every play

OrangeHoof
12-26-2011, 05:56 PM
When we were winning, one comment we heard was that Tebow was minimizing mistakes and that was one reason why the team won despite its flaws. I think running the ball is part of that formula and we've seen what happens when Tebow has to play catch-up too early. Mistakes = turnovers and we aren't talented enough to overcome turnovers.

So, I'd be careful about griping over running plays. They are meant to cut down on the turnovers and shorten the game.

It would help also if Decker brought his hands to the game.

bcbronc
12-26-2011, 08:45 PM
whats happening is that scheme and unconventional thinking is why we lead the league in rushing, but for some reason, fans, media and the coaches belive its our interior OL doing the damage. whats really happening is our Ol is getting owned all over the field in bad ways the last few eeks now that defenses know whats coming. Basically our Ol isnt executing for crap. Mccoy seems to think things will miracoulously fix themeselves as evidenced by his playcalling. Then when the rush was on a tebow was frazzled, he kept dialing up long bombs instead of focusing on checkdowns, and throws to the sidleine and markers.....basically mccoy has sucked horribly as a playcaller all year, but we confused defense with the whole option and look thing, now we have been figured out and mccoy doesnt adjust he just keeps doing teh same thing over and over again. To be honest this is like when we went 6-0 in 2009 as our passing offense threw teams off for the first 6 ga,mes then the ravens figured us out, smashed us in the mouth, and MCD decided to be to proud to adjust, thats whats going on here. Also we have such a penchant for wanting miller on the field at all times as a rusher, that when in our nickle looks we get destroyed by the opposing rush offense. yet in a 4 man front we dont....personally the coaching has been horrible the last 3 weeks.

But i still think we will be fine, if mccoy just lets tebow play....

I'm sorry EInc, you obviously know your stuff but I can't help laughing when people say our interior OL sucks even though we're leading the league in rushing. Especially when you then go and rip McCoy for being a terrible OC. So is our success rushing the result of smoke and mirrors, in which case you'd have to give credit to McCoy's gamepplan/playbook? Or is it despite our OC, in which case you'd have to give credit to our OL. With the results we've had, someone has to get credit, especially considering every defense is playing run first vs us.

Look, our OL does have its weaknesses especially pure surge in short yardage. But Walton has made big strides this year. And Beadles has made numerous key blocks as a pulling guard. Can they improve? They're the youngest OL in the league, of course they can improve. They didn't play well vs BUF but they had been playing quite well and one or two bad games don't change that, especially considering the severe lack of talent/health in our backfield.

Even the OPs concern about 12 straight runs, some of those drives saw us gain 8 or 9 yards on 1st and 2nd down, only to have the OL/RB/Tebow get beat by there counterparts. Certainly need to get better along the OL if we want to become legit contenders, but same can be said about every position on the team. Some of that improvement will come simply from the development of our young players. In the meantime, no point throwing the babies out with the bathwater.

NameUsedBefore
12-26-2011, 08:54 PM
They ran themselves out of the lead like they have done over and over. This was while the Bills' offense was running up and down the field and kicking field goals. So instead of using their time wisely to run a balanced offense we went run-run-run until the Bills opened the floodgates and then we switched to pass-pass-pass against a defense that shredded Brady and Vick and others for trying the same. I like that McCoy has instituted the run-option as a viable play, but I still think his playcalling is absolute shit.

Elevation inc
12-27-2011, 04:32 AM
I'm sorry EInc, you obviously know your stuff but I can't help laughing when people say our interior OL sucks even though we're leading the league in rushing. Especially when you then go and rip McCoy for being a terrible OC. So is our success rushing the result of smoke and mirrors, in which case you'd have to give credit to McCoy's gamepplan/playbook? Or is it despite our OC, in which case you'd have to give credit to our OL. With the results we've had, someone has to get credit, especially considering every defense is playing run first vs us.

Look, our OL does have its weaknesses especially pure surge in short yardage. But Walton has made big strides this year. And Beadles has made numerous key blocks as a pulling guard. Can they improve? They're the youngest OL in the league, of course they can improve. They didn't play well vs BUF but they had been playing quite well and one or two bad games don't change that, especially considering the severe lack of talent/health in our backfield.

Even the OPs concern about 12 straight runs, some of those drives saw us gain 8 or 9 yards on 1st and 2nd down, only to have the OL/RB/Tebow get beat by there counterparts. Certainly need to get better along the OL if we want to become legit contenders, but same can be said about every position on the team. Some of that improvement will come simply from the development of our young players. In the meantime, no point throwing the babies out with the bathwater.

walton and beadles have been owned on a reg basis in both the run and pass game.....kuper is good one game then horrible the next. I know this becasue i can see it. You know mcghaee is like 3rd in the nfl for yds afetr contact? thats a huge reason why we were running so well. also the scheme is why as well, defenses didnt know what to do or how to react, a hurt mcghaee is huge blow to us, becasue our interior OL does suck in big ways, just becasue you lead the league in rushing doesnt mean its becasue your inside OL is executing.

we lead the NFL in rushing becasue we had a scheme defenses havent figured out, well now they have keep everything inside, Have your DE's rush as far as tebow drops back. That keeps tebow inside and doesnt allow him big plays off the edge. and with poor execution insdie our dive plays that were doing so well now go for 1-2 yds cause defenses stack the box. its simple really we were a gimmick offense to help tebow improve as a passer. It worked but now teams know stack the box inside and we cant do jack, especially with a hurt mcghaee.

Beadles and ewalton have been busts in back to back years. I give them 1 more year to prove they have it, but personally I wont be upset if we replace them, and I also loved both picks at the the time, so this isnt some bias here. Kuper, wow he has got to be the biggest boom or bust player on our Line....he is far to inconsistent. franklin is a rookie, and clady has had his worst year ever.

Its really simple to understand we have been figured out. The recipe for defense to beat us is simple, stop the run, force everything inside. make tebow have to complete constant tough third and longs. If our playcaller would get a clue, he could capitalize on what i a couch potato can see defenses doing.....

our offense with mccoy, when the run bogs down needs to focus on high percentage throws, checkdowns etc....i would rather take a 5-6 yd checkdown on 1st and 2nd down for anotehr first, then a dive for 1 yd on 1st and -1 yd loss on 2nd resulting in a 3rd and nine where we dial up a deep throw off a 5 step drop, while the otehr team blitzes freely.....seriously, the whole offense is executing horribly, and mcghaee hurt just makes it that much worse

ShooterJM
12-27-2011, 10:30 AM
The last ranking I saw that graded a team's OL on a player by player basis had ours 30th. That's not a good OL.

broncs
12-27-2011, 11:15 AM
broncos running game is ranked no.1 in stats. tebow gets 5 seconds or more 75 % of the time on pass plays. i cant see the ol line as a big problem. biggest offensive problems in 9 tebow starts has been, tebow under throwing or over throwing to receivers and receivers dropping catchable balls( close to a dozen between decker and thomas).chris harris is gaining on von miller for broncos rookie of the year

broncs
12-27-2011, 11:15 AM
broncos running game is ranked no.1 in stats. tebow gets 5 seconds or more 75 % of the time on pass plays. i cant see the ol line as a big problem. biggest offensive problems in 9 tebow starts has been, tebow under throwing or over throwing to receivers and receivers dropping catchable balls( close to a dozen between decker and thomas).chris harris is gaining on von miller for broncos rookie of the year

NightTerror218
12-27-2011, 12:54 PM

He overthrew 1, misread the safety, one was a huge hit on his arm (i call a fumble) and the 4th was just trying to get some points on board by throwing into tight spot, which failed.

I think the game was a bunch of crock by officials, but Broncos were not playing normal. They started to play catch-up and that is not their football. The exact same thing happened with Orton. They are not a "play catch-up" team. They are a keep it close and control the time kind of team. They were playing right into Buffalos hands. Not to mention Tebow was running for line. At one point they threw up the stat Tebow was sacked 3 times, hurried 14 times and knocked down 6. He was not getting a hole lot of OL help. He was also trying to force the ball then play it safe and control the ball like he normally does.

catfish
12-27-2011, 12:55 PM
When we were winning, one comment we heard was that Tebow was minimizing mistakes and that was one reason why the team won despite its flaws. I think running the ball is part of that formula and we've seen what happens when Tebow has to play catch-up too early. Mistakes = turnovers and we aren't talented enough to overcome turnovers.

So, I'd be careful about griping over running plays. They are meant to cut down on the turnovers and shorten the game.

It would help also if Decker brought his hands to the game.

I don't know that people are mad that Denver is running the ball, but mixing in a pass every once in a while would make both the running game and the passing game more effective. Last game it was run every down in the first half, pass every down in the second half. If you make yourself 1 dimensional you make yourself easy to defend

chazoe60
12-27-2011, 01:02 PM
As bad as Tebow's game was, McCoy's was worse. He has to go or at the least be demoted in the offseason. Maybe Jim Fassel would accept a coordinator job.

NightTerror218
12-27-2011, 01:04 PM
I don't know that people are mad that Denver is running the ball, but mixing in a pass every once in a while would make both the running game and the passing game more effective. Last game it was run every down in the first half, pass every down in the second half. If you make yourself 1 dimensional you make yourself easy to defend

yup, the logic of passing the ball to open the running game, or running the ball to open the passing game as seemed to be lost somewhere. Instead its run to open the running game.

Elevation inc
12-27-2011, 01:18 PM

wow you are so far off its hilarious.....and 5 seconds per play for tebow are you high???? he had guys in his face before he finished his drops the last few games....watching clady and franklin has been hilarious, and watching beadles and walton get pushed into tebows face is almost comical. Tebow needs to stop holding the ball and get rid of it so he doesnt take such long sacks, but his OL is doing him zero favors.....

catfish
12-27-2011, 01:24 PM
wow you are so far off its hilarious.....and 5 seconds per play for tebow are you high???? he had guys in his face before he finished his drops the last few games....watching clady and franklin has been hilarious, and watching beadles and walton get pushed into tebows face is almost comical. Tebow needs to stop holding the ball and get rid of it so he doesnt take such long sacks, but his OL is doing him zero favors.....

also while the Run game has the most yards it also has the most attempts, looking at yards/rush the team is not #1 IIRC, if one team has 150 yds on 30 attempts, and the other team has 160 yds on 50 attempts which team is the better rushing team

BroncoNut
12-27-2011, 02:56 PM
no. It was 12 gay run plays in the 2nd, :pound: