PDA

View Full Version : Concerns mount in Denver about Brian Dawkins’ neck

DenBronx
12-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Not sure why no one posted this because this came out earlier today.

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 25, 2011, 11:49 AM EST

Getty Images
Broncos safety Brian Dawkins re-injured his neck on Sunday against the Bills, and there are concerns in Denver that he may have played his last game in the NFL.

Dawkins himself told people after the game not to be worried, but Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that others in Denver are worried that he won’t ever be able to get back on the field. His neck has become a recurring problem, causing him to miss all or parts of four different games this year.

READ FULL ARTICLE HERE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/25/concerns-mount-in-denver-about-brian-dawkins-neck/

SR
12-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Not surprised

Nomad
12-25-2011, 06:43 PM
He's done. Hell of a player....too bad he wasn't a BRONCO in his prime.

MasterShake
12-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Ugh. Having flashbacks to Al Wilson. Hope everything is ok.

DenBronx
12-25-2011, 07:09 PM
He's done. Hell of a player....too bad he wasn't a BRONCO in his prime.

Yeah too bad but we had Lynch while Dawk was in his prime and Lynch was a hell of a safety too.

Steve Atwater was amazing though.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-25-2011, 07:39 PM
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — There is good reason to be worried about Brian Dawkins​. And if there's worry about Dawkins, there's good reason to be worried about the Broncos.

"Don't be worried," Dawkins said. "That's why I didn't finish the game."

It's the fourth time this season he has missed parts, or all, of a game with a neck injury. When a 38-year-old safety known for his willingness to unleash ferocious fury has a neck problem, there are concerns about his well-being. There are concerns the neck injury could end a distinguished 16-year career that includes eight Pro Bowls.

more - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19616541

Nomad
12-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Yeah too bad but we had Lynch while Dawk was in his prime and Lynch was a hell of a safety too.

Steve Atwater was amazing though.

All true.....I really liked both Lynch and Atwater.

VonSackemMiller
12-25-2011, 07:42 PM
:( i sure hope he sticks around as a secondary coach. I would love him being the voice in our dbs heads.

KCL
12-25-2011, 07:42 PM
That sucks...I mean that sincerely.I hate seeing injuries to good players..well unless they're players like Suh from the Lions.

camdisco24
12-25-2011, 07:46 PM
That guy deserves a ring. I rarely say that, but he just does. Total class act and a heck of a player. Praying he can come back.

VonSackemMiller
12-25-2011, 07:55 PM
We about to go get Dawk his rings this year

SoCalImport
12-25-2011, 08:20 PM
We about to go get Dawk his rings this yearlol

igoe4broncos
12-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Man that sucks. I love watching B-Dawk play...

Hope it isn't true and he can make it back.

Ziggy
12-25-2011, 09:22 PM
He may be old, a fraction of what he used to be, and at the tail end of his career, but he's still the best safety on this team.

camdisco24
12-25-2011, 09:29 PM
He may be old, a fraction of what he used to be, and at the tail end of his career, but he's still the best safety on this team.

By a long shot. Which is sad.

BroncoStud
12-25-2011, 10:25 PM
Dawkins is the man and our defense lacks any muscle without him. It would be a shame if this ended his career. But living a healthy life after the NFL should be first and foremost on his mind.

Either way it's been an absolute pleasure to see him in a Broncos uniform.

Timmy!
12-25-2011, 11:19 PM
It we make the playoffs and he is at all able to go I'm sure dawn will give it a try. He's that kind of warrior.

DenBronx
12-25-2011, 11:24 PM
In each of our 40 point or more losses this year it seems we have had key defensive players out with injury.

If this is going to be Dawks last year I hope he is able to play and play well.

I seriously doubt he will ever play in the NFL after this season though. Now it looks like we should have offered Darren Sharper a contract afterall because we really could have used him.

Safety will be a priority as well as CB in the offseason.

VonSackemMiller
12-25-2011, 11:36 PM
We just drafted 2 safeties and safety is a priority?, Can a rookie get a chance to develope anymore. Maybe bring in a veteran for depth but i hope we dont go into the draft taking a safety high unless hes sean taylor type.

MOtorboat
12-25-2011, 11:58 PM
We just drafted 2 safeties and safety is a priority?, Can a rookie get a chance to develope anymore. Maybe bring in a veteran for depth but i hope we dont go into the draft taking a safety high unless hes sean taylor type.

I have to point out my own hypocrisy in responding to this, just so it can't be used against me...

This board resoundingly wrote off Moreno in his first year and these two safeties in their first year, and yet I read "patience, patience, patience" with Tebow...

Joel
12-26-2011, 11:06 AM
I have to point out my own hypocrisy in responding to this, just so it can't be used against me...

This board resoundingly wrote off Moreno in his first year and these two safeties in their first year, and yet I read "patience, patience, patience" with Tebow...
QBs going from the NCAA to the NFL have a FAR steeper learning curve than RBs, or even DBs. The only defensive position with comparable rookie experience requirements is MLB (yet many expect us to draft an instant star there, too.) We're no more likely to find a rookie star at Mike than at QB, but rookie RBs and DBs routinely perform at a high level immediately, because they're pro ready their first year. Anyway...

I'll keep him in my prayers, and appreciate his great contributions to our team, but don't expect to ever see Dawkins play another down. It was doubtful after the Pats game, but after reaggravating the injury that took him out of that game he looks done. I just hope there are no serious long term effects on him.

Meanwhile, our secondary is totally boned. KC has guards we can only envy in Waters, Wiegmann and Lilja, but hopefully Doom and Miller can get around their tackles to harry Orton the way they did Cassell even without the threat of Dawkins coming up the middle to draw blocker attention. I've never liked trying to stop the pass with blitzing alone, but we have little choice since Harris and Champ are the only decent DBs we have; Orton is probably more aware than any NFL QB of how vulnerable Goodman is.

MOtorboat
12-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Touche

SpringsBroncoFan
12-26-2011, 11:56 AM
I don't think I could handle watching another rookie safety next year, focus on a top CB if we must. Either sign a fa safety or move Champ if we pick up a good CB in the draft.

Even Bruton looks to be a vast improvement over Moore, how sad... :mad:

I'm not looking forward to Moore whiffing on any more tackles, and he is too much of a liability to put on special teams.

I guess the scouting department laid an egg on evaluating his lack of ability at tackling anybody, I'll admit I did. At least I did know he wasn't worth the 36 pick anyway... :confused:

All the best to Dawk...

BroncoStud
12-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Brian Waters plays for the Patriots, not the Chiefs. We should be able to generate pressure - one would think.

Joel
12-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Brian Waters plays for the Patriots, not the Chiefs. We should be able to generate pressure - one would think.
Ah, right; USED to play for KC. Well, one less worry for Sunday then; wish we had enough quality guards we could afford to dump one like Wiegmann on a compet--oh, right, we did that.

tomjonesrocks
12-26-2011, 08:31 PM

Tebow's at least shown some *flashes* of greatness -- albeit along with some truly terrible play.

I haven't seen flashes of anything from Moore other than mediocrity and that's putting it mildly. He looked initially like he might have a streak of nastiness in him after the hit on Donald Jones--not a bad thing in a safety--and has since looked 100% of the time like a wasted pick.

The jury's been in on Moreno for a long time--he has been nothing more than a warm body at RB since he was a rookie. No burst, no elusiveness, and no power. Also prone to excessive celebration at inappropriate times and gets injured constantly. What an awesome combination. I truly hope he's done in Denver.

Carter might have some hope of developing into a steady rotation guy--we'll see. I haven't seen anything yet out of him to lead me to believe he'll ever play at a Dawkins or Lynch or Atwater level for this team, though...

To take *2* safeties in a draft a year ago and appear to still have a dire need for them in the upcoming draft is quite discouraging.

nevcraw
12-26-2011, 10:28 PM
I think the safeties will get better over time.. But you can really notice a huge downgrade on defense when Dawk is missing.. He is the Tebow equivalent of the defense inspiring play and oozing leadership.. I hope he goes on sunday..

sneakers
12-27-2011, 01:16 AM
Didn't John Lynch have problems with his neck too? I think it must come with the position.

vettesplus
12-27-2011, 11:32 AM
as great as dawkins is, on and off the field, i think its time to hang it up. no reason to injure himself for the rest of his life just to prove hes tough, we all know how tough he is. good luck in the future dawk.....i also hope he retires as a bronco!!!

vandammage13
12-27-2011, 12:04 PM
If Bailey can move to Safety in order to play a few more years then maybe Dawkins can move to K or P so we can keep him another year or two.

Would be nice to find a way to keep him on the roster....How are his longsnapping skills?

NightTerror218
12-27-2011, 12:47 PM
:( i sure hope he sticks around as a secondary coach. I would love him being the voice in our dbs heads.

That or conditioning coach. Look out his workouts over the summer and how good of shape players were who worked out with him like Mays.