PDA

View Full Version : Tebow has to do a better job of hitting the checkdown

igoe4broncos
12-25-2011, 11:47 AM
I love Tebow's will to make a big play, but he holds onto the ball way too long a lot of the time trying to make something happen. Instead, the kid has to learn to hit the checkdown and pick up an easy 3-4 yards instead of taking a sack or forcing it.

The fact is we don't have great receivers and a lot of time they can't get seperation. Tebow doesn't like to force it because he is very cautious with the ball.

Whether it be the tight ends or running backs out of the backfield, Tebow needs an option to hit the checkdown when nothing is open instead of holding onto the ball so long. I've noticed we have about four guys running 10-15 yards down the field a lot of the time with no checkdown option even available...just another short-coming of McCoy's play-calling.

On the last drive though, Jerimiah Johnson did a good job of sneaking out of the backfield and Tebow found him nicely. Would like to see more of that.

lgenf
12-25-2011, 12:01 PM
When he has one he does do a good job of it, but if there is no one then he can't do anything

What he needs to do is take off running and pick up that 4-5 yds he was getting and keep the chains moving

Fox, elway and others have him trying to stay in the pocket too long looking downfield for someone to get open, he needs the two reads and run theory to get back working

Our third options in the pattern are not worth looking at when he can pick up 4-5 yds per carry

That's how our offense kept moving the ball earlier this year

cmc0605
12-25-2011, 12:07 PM
It's always nice to see him keep a play alive for 20 seconds and then find Thomas somewhere down the field, but I've seen very little of the traditional step back 3 or 5 steps and sling one in. He needs to develop that part of the game, because holding on to the ball too long only works once in a while. and usually against the porous of defenses. Oh, he also needs another big time receiver on the field.

MOtorboat
12-25-2011, 12:09 PM
When he has one he does do a good job of it, but if there is no one then he can't do anything

What he needs to do is take off running and pick up that 4-5 yds he was getting and keep the chains moving

Fox, elway and others have him trying to stay in the pocket too long looking downfield for someone to get open, he needs the two reads and run theory to get back working

Our third options in the pattern are not worth looking at when he can pick up 4-5 yds per carry

1.) Elway has nothing to do with Tebow staying in the pocket. To succeed in the NFL Tebow will have to learn to throw from the pocket.

2.) Fox doesn't either. Receivers aren't open in the NFL. You have to throw them open, or in other words, throw into windows where your receiver will be. Tebow cannot do that.

3.) The checkdowns are there. He's not hitting them, for some reason.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-25-2011, 12:32 PM
This is a very good article. Both NE and Buffalo had a lot of game film to review, and both teams figured out how to defend TT. The more film out there, the more teams will also figure it out.

For anyone who feels John is trying to do something unique with TT, by wanting TT to be able to make plays from the pocket, as well as with his feet, it should be common sense that TT needs to be able to do both to be successful.

From article:

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Call it the football theory of evolution, but with each passing week, opposing defenses have adapted a little more to Tim Tebow​ at quarterback for the Broncos.

So much so that the Bills, who had a seven-game losing streak when Saturday's game against Denver began, believed they cracked the code.

"We knew if we could make (Tebow) one dimensional by stopping the run, there was no way we were going to allow him to come out and throw the ball and beat us with his arm," safety George Wilson said after the Bills routed the Broncos 40-14 at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19616769

BroncoStud
12-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Tebow has to evolve his game. The checkdowns are there. I would love to see some bootleg and rollout plays to get him isolated on the edges.

He's still learning the position but it's clear he needs to throw underneath a lot more often.

Northman
12-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Tebow still has some work to do but its only been a few games. He shit the bed vs the Bills but it happens. Hopefully he plays much better vs the chiefs.

HammeredOut
12-26-2011, 01:09 PM
1.) Elway has nothing to do with Tebow staying in the pocket. To succeed in the NFL Tebow will have to learn to throw from the pocket.

2.) Fox doesn't either. Receivers aren't open in the NFL. You have to throw them open, or in other words, throw into windows where your receiver will be. Tebow cannot do that.

Tebow throws too many helicopters. I figure if the ball is coming in like a sideways punt, he should be targeting Eddy Royal more often.

Nomad
12-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Tebow still has some work to do but its only been a few games. He shit the bed vs the Bills but it happens. Hopefully he plays much better vs the chiefs.

He did shit the bed. Chiefs will be studying the Bills game very detailed.

VonSackemMiller
12-26-2011, 01:44 PM

I am glad somebody else is noticing this, tebow is standing there in the pocket trying to make a play down the field forever, When theres lanes to run for 5-6 yards he just stand there in the pocket and then run around in circles looking to make the throw down the field. Early on tebow was taking off and running for first downs extending drives if nothing was open. this hasnt been happening as much the last 3 games because the coaches are clearly trying to convert back to a traditional offense and force him to stay in the pocket. I record the games and watch them over. Sometime the Dl is making a play but alot of the times its tebow holding on to the ball taking sacks because he didnt take off running when he coould have.

VonSackemMiller
12-26-2011, 01:48 PM

Tebow has proven he could throw from the pocket. because the WR drops the ball it doesnt count as a throw tebow made from the pocket? All 6 of the drops vs the bears were pocket throws he made. Tebow can throw it from the pocket. Not with the best of them just yet but he can get it there. And hes thrown a few WRs open. The Broncos are probably top 3 in the NFL with dropped passes.

underrated29
12-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Tebow has proven he could throw from the pocket. because the WR drops the ball it doesnt count as a throw tebow made from the pocket? All 6 of the drops vs the bears were pocket throws he made. Tebow can throw it from the pocket. Not with the best of them just yet but he can get it there. And hes thrown a few WRs open. The Broncos are probably top 3 in the NFL with dropped passes.

The week before last we were ranked 30 out of 32... after last week I'm sure we are worst or next to worst in the league with the most drops.

Joel
12-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Tebow's not tucking it away and running downfield any more because since around the time of the Vikings game teams have been having their MLB spy him like the MLB was created to do with hybrid QBs, and stuffing him every time. It was particularly noticable when Urlacher did it during the Bears game: When Tebow ran, Urlacher tackled him, usually for a loss; when Tebow passed, Urlacher either played zone coverage over the middle or went for the sack.

Tebow can and does find checkdowns, which he must, but doesn't do it at GAME SPEED. I think that will improve in the off season, because while he's worked on receiver progressions as much as any QB, practicing against defenders who pull up to avoid injuring a teammate is very different from playing on Sunday. Until/unless his line consistently protects him long enough to face the opposing endzone more than the sideline, however, he's not going to hit anything but the turf.

spikerman
12-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Tebow's not tucking it away and running downfield any more because since around the time of the Vikings game teams have been having their MLB spy him like the MLB was created to do with hybrid QBs, and stuffing him every time. It was particularly noticable when Urlacher did it during the Bears game: When Tebow ran, Urlacher tackled him, usually for a loss; when Tebow passed, Urlacher either played zone coverage over the middle or went for the sack.

Tebow can and does find checkdowns, which he must, but doesn't do it at GAME SPEED. I think that will improve in the off season, because while he's worked on receiver progressions as much as any QB, practicing against defenders who pull up to avoid injuring a teammate is very different from playing on Sunday. Until/unless his line consistently protects him long enough to face the opposing endzone more than the sideline, however, he's not going to hit anything but the turf.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Tebow has a lot to work on (footwork, moving to his right, looking off defenders, etc), but more than anything the game needs to slow down for him. Hopefully in the offseason that will start happening. He's learning that SEC football is still no match for the NFL.

VonSackemMiller
12-26-2011, 02:20 PM
It totaly has nothing to do with teams spying tebow. tebow made urlacher miss several times as playbook broke down the film. It all comes down to not being predictable. The Broncos ran the ball with 8-9 in the box, Thats why urlacher could watch tebow because the bears brung a safety down in the box to watch tebow also and watch the RB, Tebow hit throws BEHIND urlacher consistantly ( most of them were dropped) or good completions. Our WRs have to create some form of seperation on a consistant basis vs man on man coverage. Not a single WR on this team will a defense say hey we better be careful playing man on man vs this guy or hell beat us for 6...... And were like number 1 or 2 in dropped passes which dont help.

Mike
12-26-2011, 02:30 PM
He did shit the bed. Chiefs will be studying the Bills game very detailed.

Luckily for the Chiefs, McCoy's game plans don't require much study time.

Joel
12-26-2011, 02:34 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head. Tebow has a lot to work on (footwork, moving to his right, looking off defenders, etc), but more than anything the game needs to slow down for him. Hopefully in the offseason that will start happening. He's learning that SEC football is still no match for the NFL.
It was kind of inevitable. Tebow practiced with the second team in his rookie off season, all last year, had no off season this year and into the first two months of this year. Then he was thrust into full speed NFL games, for which there's no real way to "prepare;" it can only be learned by doing, which is what's (hopefully) happening now. Most of Tebows remaining problems boil down, IMHO, to experience rather than physical ability or mental acuity, which is the main reason I'm so optimistic about next season. There are, however, still non-Tebow problems that will undoubtedly have a big negative impact on next season if not corrected.

I do think more consistent protection from the line would help immensely. I've seen MANY plays where it didn't matter who was open because Tebow was running for his life and couldn't square up to the line even enough to see, let alone hit, open receivers. I can't speak much to Sundays game since I only saw about half of it (though on Tebows back to back picks, he was definitely flushed out of the pocket for the second one, by a guy who still forced the interception) but I've seen plenty of it in other games.

It totaly has nothing to do with teams spying tebow. tebow made urlacher miss several times as playbook broke down the film. It all comes down to not being predictable. The Broncos ran the ball with 8-9 in the box, Thats why urlacher could watch tebow because the bears brung a safety down in the box to watch tebow also and watch the RB, Tebow hit throws BEHIND urlacher consistantly ( most of them were dropped) or good completions. Our WRs have to create some form of seperation on a consistant basis vs man on man coverage. Not a single WR on this team will a defense say hey we better be careful playing man on man vs this guy or hell beat us for 6...... And were like number 1 or 2 in dropped passes which dont help.
Meh. I know what I saw, which was Tebow rushing 12 times for 49 against Chicago (in fact, we went three and out on our first drive because he ran for -3 before throwing a 10 yard pass.) Those are decent but not inspiring rushing numbers that go down hill quickly when the 5 sacks are counted. Making Urlacher miss "several times" out of 5 sacks and 4 more QB hits just isn't enough, and without a great block Jeremiah Johnson block on him on Tebows 16 yard to pass to Thomas at the end of OT that's sack #6 instead of the play that set up the game winning TD.