PDA

View Full Version : Where the hell is our defense?

lgenf
12-24-2011, 05:15 PM
During our 6 game win streak, all I heard was that Tebow was doing the bare minimum and it was really the defense winning these games for us

Now I cut them some slack against Brady last week, getting torched

But this week they got beat like an ugly step child

Where is this killer D that was getting soon much credit during our run?

I know Dawkins is hurt, but today I watched folks run through arm tackles all game long, unless Dawkins is responsible for like 36 tackles per game we should be able to tackle folks with the other 11 guys playing defense when he is out

Npba900
12-24-2011, 05:17 PM
They are probably worn down by now. Its been 8 weeks of playing great defense, but the D has been out on the field way too much over the span of the last 8 weeks.

BroncoStud
12-24-2011, 05:25 PM
On the field too much??? We have a good Time of Possession ratio...

Von Miller has hit the rookie wall and Dumerville is playing like crap, Dawkins has been out...

We never were good, just opportunistic, now we're no longer opportunistic.

igoe4broncos
12-24-2011, 05:26 PM
I've never seen an NFL team so bad at tackling. We've got so many defenders falling the wrong way and trying to make weak arm tackles.

It's absolutely pathetic.

lgenf
12-24-2011, 05:28 PM
On the field too much??? We have a good Time of Possession ratio...

Von Miller has hit the rookie wall and Dumerville is playing like crap, Dawkins has been out...

We never were good, just opportunistic, now we're no longer opportunistic.

Yeah, miller looked to have that rookie sack record within sight if not in the damn bag and for the last two weeks I don't think he's made 1 single play beyond falling on top of Brady after the bad snap last week

MOtorboat
12-24-2011, 05:31 PM
They only gave up 19 points.

Considering the offense broke even on points, got 14 and gave up 14, and the special teams was -7, I have a hard time putting much of this on the defense.

After going up 7-0, the offense punted the rest of the first half. Should have driven the nail in the coffin and kept an already tired defense off the field. They couldn't do that, whether it be playcalling OR execution, the offense didn't get it done when Denver had a chance to distance themselves from a poor team.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-24-2011, 05:32 PM
In their defense (no pun intended), they were faced with 5 straight 3 and outs at one point. The offense didn't pull it's weight in this game. The defense didn't either, but they were gassed by halftime. They kept it close enough that the Broncos had the opportunity to come back in the game. 2 turnovers for scores shot that to hell. Rememeber, Buffalo's offense didn't score again after they went up 26-14 in the 3rd quarter. The offense gave them 14 easy points.

missingnumber7
12-24-2011, 05:34 PM
How can anyone put this on the D? Tebow throws 2 pick 6s without even a commercial break. The d holds them to 4 fgs inside the 20? We need Dawkins back and Mays needs to be on the field more.

igoe4broncos
12-24-2011, 05:34 PM
They only gave up 19 points.

Considering the offense broke even on points, got 14 and gave up 14, and the special teams was -7, I have a hard time putting much of this on the defense.

After going up 7-0, the offense punted the rest of the first half. Should have driven the nail in the coffin and kept an already tired defense off the field. They couldn't do that, whether it be playcalling OR execution, the offense didn't get it done when Denver had a chance to distance themselves from a poor team.

Still gave up way too many big plays to a mediocre offense and the open field tackling was atrocious. Not to mention Buffalo missed two field goals and had a dropped pass that should have easily been a touchdown on third and goal.

Nonetheless, only part of this game falls on the D. The offense and special teams put them in bad situations time and time again.

lgenf
12-24-2011, 05:35 PM
In their defense (no pun intended), they were faced with 5 straight 3 and outs at one point. The offense didn't pull it's weight in this game. The defense didn't either, but they were gassed by halftime. They kept it close enough that the Broncos had the opportunity to come back in the game. 2 turnovers for scores shot that to hell. Rememeber, Buffalo's offense didn't score again after they went up 26-14 in the 3rd quarter. The offense gave them 14 easy points.

Oh hell yeah, the offense giving up 14 pts killed the game and any chance of a comeback

But there offense walked up and down the field all game

MOtorboat
12-24-2011, 05:38 PM
When you're minus 4 on the turnover margin (or was it 5?), the problem isn't the defense. When your offense and special teams gives up 21 points, how can that possibly be on the defense?

They didn't play well at times, but they bailed the offense and special teams out repeatedly in the first half, and the offense couldn't move the ball.

Northman
12-24-2011, 05:42 PM
When you face the #27 scoring (16th in passing, 28th in rushing) defense and can only muster 14 pts thats a major problem.

Elevation inc
12-24-2011, 05:46 PM
I've never seen an NFL team so bad at tackling. We've got so many defenders falling the wrong way and trying to make weak arm tackles.

It's absolutely pathetic.

whats crazy is that we were in the top 3 in tackles made before the last 2 weeks.....in fact only 2 teams had less missed tackles than us this year, now not so much i counted 12 legit missed tackles last week and 7 this week

Elevation inc
12-24-2011, 05:49 PM
When you face the #27 scoring (16th in passing, 28th in rushing) defense and can only muster 14 pts thats a major problem.

yeah but our defense was shit from the 1st drive, its only becasue there FG kicker missed 2 field goals we were still in it at halftime....

MOtorboat
12-24-2011, 05:53 PM
yeah but our defense was shit from the 1st drive, its only becasue there FG kicker missed 2 field goals we were still in it at halftime....

They went three and out on the first drive.

TimHippo
12-24-2011, 05:53 PM
the offense punted the rest of the first half. Should have driven the nail in the coffin and kept an already tired defense off the field. .

This is deceptive.

The special teams kept pinning the offense at their own goalline and also couldn't stop McKelvin from getting the Bills great field position.

On top of that CJ Spiller kept getting across midfield for them also contributing to horrible field position.

Northman
12-24-2011, 05:57 PM

But that makes it even worse for us offensively. They drive the length of the field and miss two fg's. Technically we didnt take advantage offensively as we should of been up 21-0 or at worse 21-3 by that point. We just keep allowing teams to hang around and "hope" for them to make mistakes.

TimHippo
12-24-2011, 06:00 PM
But that makes it even worse for us offensively. They drive the length of the field and miss two fg's. Technically we didnt take advantage offensively as we should of been up 21-0 or at worse 21-3 by that point. We just keep allowing teams to hang around and "hope" for them to make mistakes.

Defense couldn't stop CJ Spiller.
That and the horrid special teams unit pinned the offense at their own goalline. Not much you can do in that situation.

To be honest I think this game falls on the special teams. Dumb plays on the returns and they could not stop McKelvin. Eventually both the offense and defense broke down because of special teams.

Northman
12-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Defense couldn't stop CJ Spiller.
That and the horrid special teams unit pinned the offense at their own goalline. Not much you can do in that situation.

To be honest I think this game falls on the special teams. Dumb plays on the returns and they could not stop McKelvin. Eventually both the offense and defense broke down because of special teams.

While there's plenty of blame to go around i dont buy "we couldnt do anything" because of field position. Thats ridiculous as i watch QB's across the league drive up and down the field all the time. Offensively we are really bad and it needs to improve drastically going forward.

Elevation inc
12-24-2011, 06:04 PM

to be fair that was on mccoy in a big way to, and why the hell did tebow not run when he was open he is stuck in this stay in the pocket mode right now its kinda infuriating.....but again back to mccoy our offense followed this blue print 3/4 of the game....dive left on 1st down, dive right on 2nd down, throw deep on 3rd and 8 becasue play 1 and 2 didnt work.....kinda hard to get anything going there with that playcalling......we had horrible gameplanning today in all phases....players and coaches need to take a look in the mirror next week

ChampWJ
12-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Mays needs to be on the field more.

Mays is one of the worst offenders. He seems to have horrible gap discipline, constantly over pursues and misses too many tackles because he looks for the big hit. He has good size and makes a few hits here and there which fools people into thinking he's a difference maker.

I'm also really worried about the safeties. I fear the front office missed on both picks, especially Moore. He looks like a practice squad call-up out there.

Northman
12-24-2011, 06:07 PM
to be fair that was on mccoy in a big way to, and why the hell did tebow not run when he was open he is stuck in this stay in the pocket mode right now its kinda infuriating.....but again back to mccoy our offense followed this blue print 3/4 of the game....dive left on 1st down, dive right on 2nd down, throw deep on 3rd and 8 becasue play 1 and 2 didnt work.....kinda hard to get anything going there with that playcalling......we had horrible gameplanning today in all phases....players and coaches need to take a look in the mirror next week

McCoy's part of the offense, but just like the playcalling needs to get better so does the execution. We should of been able to run at will on this team.

TimHippo
12-24-2011, 06:08 PM
While there's plenty of blame to go around i dont buy "we couldnt do anything" because of field position. Thats ridiculous as i watch QB's across the league drive up and down the field all the time. Offensively we are really bad and it needs to improve drastically going forward.

Yes but you were blaming the offense in your last post and trying to absolve the defense of responsibility.

Elevation inc
12-24-2011, 06:09 PM

our offense is really bad 3 players trying right now it seems.....Tebow, DT, Mcghaee.....our entire OL has played like crap all year, we dont have a single player grading in the green for the season on the OL.....our Wr's cant seperate, and royal and decker have performed like shit leaving DT to be doubled constantly now......our TE's who are supposed great blockers are sucking horribly as well, ball is nothing more than a north and south run of the mill back, mcgahee isnt healthy and we are wasting johnson on the bench. Combine that with dry and predictable playcalling, and its no wonder we are struggling.....personally I want to find 3 new starters for the OL next year, plus a legit all round back who isnt 30, and a true elite WR or at least a legit option across from DT

Northman
12-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Yes but you were blaming the offense in your last post and trying to absolve the defense of responsibility.

Not true at all.

TimHippo
12-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Not true at all.

Here's your post. You blame the offense even more than the person you were responding to.

"
But that makes it even worse for us offensively. They drive the length of the field and miss two fg's. Technically we didnt take advantage offensively as we should of been up 21-0 or at worse 21-3 by that point. We just keep allowing teams to hang around and "hope" for them to make mistakes."

Northman
12-24-2011, 06:13 PM
our offense is really bad 3 players trying right now it seems.....Tebow, DT, Mcghaee.....our entire OL has played like crap all year, we dont have a single player grading in the green for the season on the OL.....our Wr's cant seperate, and royal and decker have performed like shit leaving DT to be doubled constantly now......our TE's who are supposed great blockers are sucking horribly as well, ball is nothing more than a north and south run of the mill back, mcgahee isnt healthy and we are wasting johnson on the bench. Combine that with dry and predictable playcalling, and its no wonder we are struggling.....personally I want to find 3 new starters for the OL next year, plus a legit all round back who isnt 30, and a true elite WR or at least a legit option across from DT

We have the #1 rushing offense. They dont suck man, we just got outplayed and outcoached. The talent is there.

Elevation inc
12-24-2011, 06:16 PM
personally on offense I am done with beadles and walton.....they suck horribly in all phases. Franklin is a rookie so I give him a pass but god I wish he would be our LG, maybe try beadles at RT and see what happens as well.....and hopefully clady returns to form becasue he has been downright horrible this year as well.....kuper is our best interior OL player but he is wildly inconsitent right now he is like our Joe mays on offense.....i also would let royal walk and call willis up to stay.....use jermiah on returns, and draft or get a FA to push decker hard core.....also keep ball as the number 3 back and draft a legit combo back like chris polk or even richardson or get a legit FA......maybe then we can head in the right direction on offense....

Northman
12-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Here's your post. You blame the offense even more than the person you were responding to.

"
But that makes it even worse for us offensively. They drive the length of the field and miss two fg's. Technically we didnt take advantage offensively as we should of been up 21-0 or at worse 21-3 by that point. We just keep allowing teams to hang around and "hope" for them to make mistakes."

Early in the game the offense does need to take the blame. We were up 7-3 when they missed two FG's and we failed to score on consecutive drives after that. The fact that the offense failed to do their part has nothing to do with the defensive woes down the stretch. Again, its common sense here. The Bills are ranked 27th in scoring and Denver's offense couldnt take advantage of that. Im not sure with what your struggling with here. Add in the fact that the offense turned it over 5 times i have a hard time seeing how the defense bears the brunt of today's loss.

Elevation inc
12-24-2011, 06:18 PM
We have the #1 rushing offense. They dont suck man, we just got outplayed and outcoached. The talent is there.

belive it or not they do suck....the read option, misdirection and downright play making ability of tebow and mcghaee is why we have the number 1 rushing offense.....seriously they suck bad and they cant pass protect for crap i said the same thing even when orton was qb.....

Elevation inc
12-24-2011, 06:19 PM
i mean buffalo was hitting mcgahee and ball 1-2 yds in the backfield a number of times and they were getting to tebow before he even finished his drops....

Elevation inc
12-24-2011, 06:20 PM

Clady when healthy, DT when healthy, Tebow when playing smart, Franklin has potential and kuper when he plays consitent, oh and mcghaee....thats our talent on offense.....

TimHippo
12-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Early in the game the offense does need to take the blame. We were up 7-3 when they missed two FG's and we failed to score on consecutive drives after that. The fact that the offense failed to do their part has nothing to do with the defensive woes down the stretch. Again, its common sense here. The Bills are ranked 27th in scoring and Denver's offense couldnt take advantage of that. Im not sure with what your struggling with here. Add in the fact that the offense turned it over 5 times i have a hard time seeing how the defense bears the brunt of today's loss.

See your not true at all statement was not true.

I put the blame on the special teams.
The defense was equally as bad as the offense. It baffles me how you cannot see that. They could not stop CJ Spiller which is why the Bills were in FG range for both missed FGs.

Northman
12-24-2011, 06:23 PM
See your not true at all statement was not true.

I put the blame on the special teams.
The defense was equally as bad as the offense. It baffles me how you cannot see that. They could not stop CJ Spiller which is why the Bills were in FG range for both missed FGs.

While ST's were bad it really means nothing if you cant execute on offense. This wasnt the best defense in the league. 14 points from the offense is flat out embarrassing.

TimHippo
12-24-2011, 06:28 PM
While ST's were bad it really means nothing if you cant execute on offense. This wasnt the best defense in the league. 14 points from the offense is flat out embarrassing.

Once again you are ignoring the defensive deficiencies.

You could also say it's embarrassing not being able to stop CJ Spiller.

Elevation inc
12-24-2011, 06:32 PM

our D didnt play well overall, but the offense did them no favors at all, and special teams and coaching are the top 2 in my book for faults

TimHippo
12-24-2011, 06:33 PM
our D didnt play well overall, but the offense did them no favors at all, and special teams and coaching are the top 2 in my book for faults

Yup that's what I have been saying all along. Northman is the one who seems to absolve the D from most blame and blame this loss on the offense.

Northman
12-24-2011, 06:34 PM

Not ignoring anything. But what more did you really want the defense to do? At the half Buffalo is up 17-7. To start the second half the offense makes it 17-14. On the ensuing drive Buffalo drives but has to settle for a FG. Its now ONLY 20-14 and Denver then goes 3 and out. On the next drive Buffalo again drives the field but has to YET again settle for 3. On the next drive Denver again fails to score on offense. Than, the turnovers start to happen in which they start scoring on the turnovers. So again, tell me how the defense is responsible for the QB throwing INT's? A defense can only do so much before they collapse. By that time the game is out of hand but when it was only 20-14 the Denver offense failed to score to keep the team in the game at all. Thats not a defensive problem.

MOtorboat
12-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Not ignoring anything. But what more did you really want the defense to do? At the half Buffalo is up 17-7. To start the second half the offense makes it 17-14. On the ensuing drive Buffalo drives but has to settle for a FG. Its now ONLY 20-14 and Denver then goes 3 and out. On the next drive Buffalo again drives the field but has to YET again settle for 3. On the next drive Denver again fails to score on offense. Than, the turnovers start to happen in which they start scoring on the turnovers. So again, tell me how the defense is responsible for the QB throwing INT's? A defense can only do so much before they collapse. By that time the game is out of hand but when it was only 20-14 the Denver offense failed to score to keep the team in the game at all. Thats not a defensive problem.

Failed to score? Shit...failed to get first downs.

Northman
12-24-2011, 06:36 PM

Shhh, but defense is to blame for that man. Didnt you get the memo? :lol:

TimHippo
12-24-2011, 06:39 PM

Well we will have to disagree.

I think it was a total team collapse defense and offense being equally responsible with more blame to go to the special teams.

You seem to think it was the offense's fault and the defense is hardly to blame for being unable to stop CJ Spiller and the Bills.

Elevation inc
12-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Yup that's what I have been saying all along. Northman is the one who seems to absolve the D from most blame and blame this loss on the offense.

that wasnt what he implied at all. Its a team loss just like our win streak was team oriented...its over onto next week:beer:

Northman
12-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Well we will have to disagree.

I think it was a total team collapse defense and offense being equally responsible with more blame to go to the special teams.

You seem to think it was the offense's fault and the defense is hardly to blame for being unable to stop CJ Spiller and the Bills.

Ive already stated numerous times in this thread that there is plenty of blame to go around. Not sure why you choose to ignore that. But, i do put the brunt of this on the offense for this particular game. The Bills offense is ranked 14th in the league and can put pressure on ANY defense no matter who it is. So one way or the other the Bills were going to move up and down the field on us. To "pretend" that we were going to shut them down is to be very naive.

And while we screwed ourselves with bad special team's play we still didnt take advantage of a very BAD Bills defense. 14 points and 5 turnovers would KILL any team man. Even late in the game it was only 26-14 and yet the offense couldnt do anything to even remotely help the defense out. So, for me its not about not blaming the entire team. Its just that when you can only muster 14 points vs a very bad defense and turn the ball over there is nothing your defense can do with that.

Denver Native (Carol)
12-24-2011, 06:51 PM

This was a total team loss - it is not just on the defense.

broncosfannum24
12-24-2011, 07:01 PM
I could die a happy man if we for just once ran a screen :(

TimHippo
12-24-2011, 07:07 PM
This was a total team loss - it is not just on the defense.

I never said it was on the defense. Read through the thread I blamed the offense and defense with more blame given to the special teams.

Northmen was the one who was saying it was mostly the offenses fault and that the defense was alot less or hardly to blame.

MOtorboat
12-24-2011, 07:07 PM

I guess you missed the failed screens run today, then?

broncosfannum24
12-24-2011, 07:16 PM
I couldn't see the game cause i live in St Louis And they rather show the rams game great game by the way!(sarcasm) but i was looking at the ticker

I saw first half tebow only attempted 4 passes, im guessing we ran the ball a million times and told tebow to throw in impossible set up to fail situations?

bcbronc
12-24-2011, 07:16 PM

We did early in the game but buffalo sniffed it out and ennded up sacking tebow. The qb has to do a better job there.

Anyway as already said, defence gave up 19 points while the offense and short bus teams gave up 21. The offfense managed to put together two drives in the first three quarters, tough to expect much from the defense when they're on the field as much as they were in the first half.

At this point its looking like Tebow can only win games when the defense plays out of their minds. Don't bring up ToP either,not with how many three and outs we've managed. Going to be a busy ixfseason for tebow.
Q

TimHippo
12-24-2011, 07:17 PM
I couldn't see the game cause i live in St Louis And they rather show the rams game great game by the way!(sarcasm) but i was looking at the ticker

I saw first half tebow only attempted 4 passes, im guessing we ran the ball a million times and told tebow to throw in impossible set up to fail situations?

Yup. So predictable you don't even have to watch the game to figure it out.

JONtheBRONCO
12-24-2011, 07:19 PM
What happened to the defense? Our leader Brian Dawkins, who can stuff the box better than Peter North has an aging neck, and it's hurting our ability to stop the run. Our DE's do not have enough discipline (The Amish Riffle running for 1st downs, Spiller breaking 15 yards on draws). Rahim Moore takes out his brain before every game. I've been a big Joe Mays fan because of the pop he's brought back to Denver, but he's a specialty package player like Woodyard. We need a monster at MLB who can sniff out the run and cover a TE/RB.

I like our interior play - we need one more mammoth inside to compliment Thomas and Bunkley (love those two). Von Miller needs to get that damn cast off. Bailey needs to play a hybrid role - covering the slot and playing center field. I don't care what anyone says, #25 Chris Harris is a player. Robert Ayers is nothing but depth (Robert Mathis anyone?) We've got some holes, and it starts with a game-changing defensive back.

broncosfannum24
12-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Lol we need a playmaking tightend, i saw stafford today and he tore up the chargers up with passes to pettigrew, if you watch alot of these other qbs, a chunk of there sucess have to do with having real good tight ends

But im willing to bet decker had a dropped passes, and mcgahee got hurt again, and dawkins got hurt again,

Northman
12-24-2011, 07:26 PM
When we went 1-4 with Orton we had 13 turnovers. In the last two weeks we have had 8. Cant win turning the ball over.

TimHippo
12-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Lol we need a playmaking tightend, i saw stafford today and he tore up the chargers up with passes to pettigrew, if you watch alot of these other qbs, a chunk of there sucess have to do with having real good tight ends

But im willing to bet decker had a dropped passes, and mcgahee got hurt again, and dawkins got hurt again,

Psychic.

I think they got so behind that they couldn't really use McGahee.
Dawkins didn't play.

broncosfannum24
12-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Typical, for a possession type of receiver he drops a lot of passes, but most people in the sports world Don't know that cause sports shows only talk about tebow and his low completion % , they never talk about his drops, or the horrible play calling that goes on

TimHippo
12-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Typical, for a possession type of receiver he drops a lot of passes, but most people in the sports world Don't know that cause sports shows only talk about tebow and his low completion % , they never talk about his drops, or the horrible play calling that goes on

He's not really a possession receiver. neither is DT. Basically they don't have a possession receiver. Decker's probably a very good 3rd receiver, maybe a decent 2.

pikkiwoki
12-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Psychic.

I think they got so behind that they couldn't really use McGahee.
Dawkins didn't play.

Dawk did play, but on that one play where Fitz was in the shotgun and saved a bad snap before handing it off, Fitz layed a block on Dawk. It didn't look like a hard block, but it looked like it shook up Dawk. He stayed on all fours for a while before getting up. That was the last I saw of him.

broncosfannum24
12-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Can't hurt to get a athletic tightend like Graham or pettigrew, i truely tightends like those can make it easier for an offense to succeed

OrangeHoof
12-25-2011, 12:10 AM
I want to cut the dreads off of our secondary. If they are always going to look a step slow, maybe it would help them not to have that spoiler providing air resistance.

boojustin
12-25-2011, 12:15 AM
The defense was exposed by Christian Ponder and a Peterson-less Vikings.

Locnar
12-25-2011, 12:21 AM
I didn't get to see much of the game today. But what I did see from the defense, there was a lot of piss poor tackling that would lead to a run that was 20 yards longer than it should have been. I noticed a few drives that only gained field goals for them, so it's not like they were giving up touchdowns.. I just wish they would tackle better like they were when their field general wasn't hurt..

hamrob
12-25-2011, 12:34 PM
I thought the defense did fine. They gave up 350 yards and 160 of it was rushing...that was a problem, but not even close to being the main reason.

The reason we lost

4 turnovers
2 pick six plays
Punt return for TD

The got 21 pts on 3 plays....that lost the game. Heck, we were down by only 12 with 8 minutes left in the game. That's when Tebow threw his first pick 6 and the game was over. Had we marched down and scored a TD on that series (instead of the fist pick 6), we would have been down by only 5 pts with 5:00 or so to go.

The score is very misleading. No pick 6...game was going to be down to the wire. Take a look at the scoring in the game. http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311224002

MOtorboat
12-25-2011, 12:43 PM
I thought the defense did fine. They gave up 350 yards and 160 of it was rushing...that was a problem, but not even close to being the main reason.

The reason we lost

4 turnovers
2 pick six plays
Punt return for TD

The got 21 pts on 3 plays....that lost the game. Heck, we were down by only 12 with 8 minutes left in the game. That's when Tebow threw his first pick 6 and the game was over. Had we marched down and scored a TD on that series (instead of the fist pick 6), we would have been down by only 5 pts with 5:00 or so to go.

The score is very misleading. No pick 6...game was going to be down to the wire. Take a look at the scoring in the game. http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=311224002

Not a single offensive touchdown for Buffalo in the second half...

Nomad
12-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Not a single offensive touchdown for Buffalo in the second half...

Didn't realize that.....all I knew was the Bills were kicking the BRONCOS rearend and frustration had set in:lol:

TimHippo
12-25-2011, 11:42 PM

The reason we lost

4 turnovers
2 pick six plays
Punt return for TD

Defense couldn't stop the run. You aren't going to win in this league if you can't do that.

MOtorboat
12-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Defense couldn't stop the run. You aren't going to win in this league if you can't do that.

Turnover margin is vastly more important.

rcsodak
12-26-2011, 12:23 AM
During our 6 game win streak, all I heard was that Tebow was doing the bare minimum and it was really the defense winning these games for us

Now I cut them some slack against Brady last week, getting torched

But this week they got beat like an ugly step child

Where is this killer D that was getting soon much credit during our run?

I know Dawkins is hurt, but today I watched folks run through arm tackles all game long, unless Dawkins is responsible for like 36 tackles per game we should be able to tackle folks with the other 11 guys playing defense when he is out

Lol. This is pretty much the same roster from the #32nd ranked D of '10. Other than changing schemes, and prolly playing people at more natural positions, i'd say expecting anything more than a slight improvement would be stretching it.
Just look at the teams they beat during that stretch. Backup qb's/rb's/cb's/s's/ol's.

Dareus may not have been the "sexy" pick, but he's a hell of a base to build around.
I like miller more than i thought i would, but he still leaves a lot to be desired. Just getting sacks on a qb isnt enough. Ware gets sacks, but they still get eaten alive. Same with allen in minn, etc.

DT DT DT!

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Elevation inc
12-26-2011, 07:37 AM
Lol. This is pretty much the same roster from the #32nd ranked D of '10. Other than changing schemes, and prolly playing people at more natural positions, i'd say expecting anything more than a slight improvement would be stretching it.
Just look at the teams they beat during that stretch. Backup qb's/rb's/cb's/s's/ol's.

Dareus may not have been the "sexy" pick, but he's a hell of a base to build around.
I like miller more than i thought i would, but he still leaves a lot to be desired. Just getting sacks on a qb isnt enough. Ware gets sacks, but they still get eaten alive. Same with allen in minn, etc.

DT DT DT!

FYI according to profootballfocus.com Dareus has a +8.3 rating for the year.....vonmillers????? over +50........vons had 2 off games this year. Guess how many dareus has had? Seven and 3 of them were like jarviss moss bad.....i think we did all right buddy, just chill on the whole dareus man crush. in fact dareus isnt even in there top 6 rookies.....your right Dareus isnt the sexy or better pick for that matter at this point. He still didnt even have a great game overall against us either.....

Elevation inc
12-26-2011, 07:39 AM
Miller gets sacks(11.5), FF, hits, hurries, pressures and has like 19 TFL on the season....how many does dareus have? how many tackles.....sorry your argument is way wrong here bud.....miller is far from a 1 trick pony and if you did the reseacrh you would see that for what von is asked to do he is by far the best rookie at his position, performance wise on a whole scale since randy moss and his rookie year.

Nomad
12-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Club hand or not, BRONCOS need Miller to step up big time for this game. His absence these last 2 games have been noticed.

It's not a comparison and people get worked up because all the praise isn't on Miller, but A. Smith is fun to watch as well. BRONCOS couldn't have went wrong with going with Miller or Dareus. It's been a solid draft for the defensive personnel taken in the 1st of the 2011 draft.

Medford Bronco
12-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Cant blame the defense when you give up a punt return for td, 2 pick 6s. 21 pts they had nothing to do with. You cant turn the ball over 4 times in a game and win. Even if we had the 1985 Bears D or 2000 Ravens D. They would struggle with that bad of a turnover ratio.

that being said, the D has struggled vs the run and has to do a much better job vs KC to win this week.

I think we will be fine at home. Go Broncos...

BigDaddyBronco
12-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Yea, the turnovers hurt, but they were in the second half when we were already down 26-14. The punt return followed by the negation of the kick return was the turning point. Maybe if our offense would throw the ball in the 2nd quarter and not run for 12 straignt plays (on three and outs) we could stop some of the 2nd quarter damage.

Still the defense/special teams gave up 26 and it would have been 32 if their kicker would have hit those two missed FG's. We will not win any games where we give up 32 pts, this team isn't built for that.

SpringsBroncoFan
12-26-2011, 12:35 PM

DT DT DT!

The team would have gone for Fairley had Miller not been there.

The Fox plan at DT worked even though the DT they wanted was gone at 36. I'd be willing to bet that Warren was on the Broncos draft board as being better than all but those top 2 DT's they had on the draft board.

It wouldn't surprise me that they decided to go after Bunkley in trade when they missed out on a DT at 36.

Clearly they were happy with Thomas & McBean and planned to add Warren & either a DT at 36 or sign/trade for the 4th core DT.

Injuries hurt us at DT and we are starting a rebuild, it's part of the game, deal with it.

What none of us knew at the time was the crazy Nascar DE defense Fox planned.

jhildebrand
12-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Where the hell is our defense?

On the filed! In fact, if you watch the game, you will see them there most of the time due to bad play, turn overs, and terrible 3rd down conversions.

rcsodak
12-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Well, the offense, more specifically, TT, gave up 14pts, while scoring 14 themselves.
The fact they couldnt even slow down spiller on D, or get returns TO the 20 (cut rosario!) or contain on punts/kickoffs didnt help.

I thought buff could be run on, but dareus said last spring he'd make denver pay for overlooking him in the draft. Advantage Dareus.

rcsodak
12-26-2011, 01:24 PM
:hi5:

TT must like the #12, since he tends to have that many 3nouts/gm.

rcsodak
12-26-2011, 01:30 PM
What happened to the defense? Our leader Brian Dawkins, who can stuff the box better than Peter North has an aging neck, and it's hurting our ability to stop the run. Our DE's do not have enough discipline (The Amish Riffle running for 1st downs, Spiller breaking 15 yards on draws). Rahim Moore takes out his brain before every game. I've been a big Joe Mays fan because of the pop he's brought back to Denver, but he's a specialty package player like Woodyard. We need a monster at MLB who can sniff out the run and cover a TE/RB.

I like our interior play - we need one more mammoth inside to compliment Thomas and Bunkley (love those two). Von Miller needs to get that damn cast off. Bailey needs to play a hybrid role - covering the slot and playing center field. I don't care what anyone says, #25 Chris Harris is a player. Robert Ayers is nothing but depth (Robert Mathis anyone?) We've got some holes, and it starts with a game-changing defensive back.

How has that helped NYJ/PHI?

Nope. Dline!
Champ was quoted after the game that it all starts with "stopping the run".
CB's are only as good as the guys up front. And right now....... :puke:

Nomad
12-26-2011, 01:41 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19619473

Thoughts?

rcsodak
12-26-2011, 01:51 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19619473
Thoughts? Youre still a gentleman and a scholar. ;')

Elevation inc
12-27-2011, 04:41 AM
our run game defense is struggling because of poor outside contain(DE's), playing to much of our nickel look, and horrible tackling. we ranked 3rd out of 32 teams for tackling efficiency(with like 6 missed tackles the whole year) that is untill the last 3 games, we have missed something like 22 tackles the last 3 games.......its about the poorest display i have seen since marquand manuel and lowry...lol

rcsodak
12-27-2011, 07:34 PM
our run game is struggling because of poor outside contain(DE's), playing to much of our nickel look, and horrible tackling. we ranked 3rd out of 32 teams for tackling efficiency(with like 6 missed tackles the whole year) that is untill the last 3 games, we have missed something like 22 tackles the last 3 games.......its about the poorest display i have seen since marquand manuel and lowry...lol
Pretty spoton. But i'm a supposed "closet kc fan", soo...... :coffee:

Elevation inc
12-28-2011, 03:26 AM
Pretty spoton. But i'm a supposed "closet kc fan", soo...... :coffee:

:lol: i had to laugh....