PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Dixon

OrangeHoof
12-23-2011, 08:32 PM
If we presume that, going forward, Tim Tebow is the starting quarterback and a special offense needed to be created to best use his talents, then the Broncos need to find somebody who can run the same type of offense to be the backup next season should Tebow get hurt.

Robert Griffin III would be an ideal replacement except he's too good and would require a first-round pick which then means an instant quarterback controversy and we just saw how destructive that can be. No, what the Broncos need is somebody who would be a legit #2 quarterback who won't threaten Tebow for the starting job.

He needs to be somebody who can run the option, pass well enough and run well enough that he can take Tebow's place in the offense without having to drastically alter the offense.

The best guy I can think of for that is Dennis Dixon, the third-string QB of the Steelers. He's a good (not great) thrower and going back to his days at Oregon, he's a good (not great) runner. At 6-3 and 210, he's smaller than Tebow and probably wouldn't be a good choice to keep the ball a lot on running plays but I think he can make it work in the short-term, which is what you're asking your backup to do.

Dixon hasn't played that much behind Roethlisberger and Batch so he ought to be healthy and he might be available as a free agent this off-season. If not, I can't imagine the Steelers asking for more than a 6th-rounder in return.

Brady Quinn was never a runner in his career so he would not make a good backup and most of the candidates I can think of are either not good enough runners or not good enough passers or cost more than we'd want to spend on a back-up.

But if anyone has a better idea than Dixon, I'm willing to listen.

dogfish
12-23-2011, 08:39 PM
pat white. . . :D

honestly, there are probably a ton of guys out like like dixon, white, josh johnson-- somebody like smiley or coach could probably rattle 'em off for you. . . hell, if you just want a pure option guy, you could even go get somebody like eric crouch. . . :laugh:

bring back BVP. . . and i'm sure there will be some option QBs available in the draft. . . if we're just bringing a guy in to be a runner, essentially, i'm not sure exactly how much difference there is between one guy and the next. . .

is troy smith still floating around? he's got the skill set to do it. . .

OrangeHoof
12-23-2011, 08:52 PM
No, he can't just be a runner. I'm not looking for just an option quarterback. I'm looking for a capable pro quarterback who also has skills to run the option.

BroncoStud
12-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Russell Wilson.

Dapper Dan
12-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Spencer Larsen can play LB and FB. Can he throw too?

Northman
12-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Yea there are a lot of guys out there who could run it as hoppy has mentioned.

dogfish
12-23-2011, 10:12 PM
No, he can't just be a runner. I'm not looking for just an option quarterback. I'm looking for a capable pro quarterback who also has skills to run the option.

fair enough. . .

i wonder how hard the stillers wll push to re-sign him-- and whether he'll have any interest in making a lateral move to be a backup in a new town and a new system. . . i don't know that he's shown enough to get an offer to start somewhere-- but he might get a chance to go in and compete with a shaky incumbent somewhere if a team misses their guy in the draft. . . barkley's decision to go back to USC was a win for guys like dixon. . .

here's the list, although i won't vouch for its to-the-minute accuracy-- and it obviously doesn't include anyone who is currently a free agent. . .

QB Kyle Boller UFA Oakland Raiders
QB Drew Brees UFA New Orleans Saints
QB Jason Campbell UFA Oakland Raiders
QB Dennis Dixon UFA Pittsburgh Steelers
QB Trent Edwards UFA Oakland Raiders
QB A.J. Feeley UFA St. Louis Rams
QB Matt Flynn UFA Green Bay Packers
QB Rex Grossman UFA Washington Redskins
QB Shaun Hill UFA Detroit Lions
QB Josh X. Johnson UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers
QB Josh McCown UFA Chicago Bears
QB Luke McCown UFA Jacksonville Jaguars
QB Brady Quinn UFA Denver Broncos
QB Chris Redman UFA Atlanta Falcons
QB Alex Smith UFA San Francisco 49ers
QB Drew Stanton UFA Detroit Lions
QB Charlie Whitehurst UFA Seattle Seahawks
QB Vince Young UFA Philadelphia Eagles

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features/freeagents/fa.php?y=2012#ixzz1hPysJksl

i'm assuming the niners are going to re-sign smith. . . out of the rest of that list, dixon, josh johnson and vince young would be our obvious targets. . . young is the best of them, but he comes with significant baggage, and may not be a great fit as a backup behind a younger guy. . . i would be fine with dixon if he wanted to come here, and didn't break the bank. . .

i do think we might be better suited to draft a QB like wilson, though. . . .

BroncoStud
12-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Drew Stanton would actually be a decent fit. He's very mobile and has a live arm. I can see him being a pretty good backup in this sytem. Obviously Vince Young would also be a good fit.

BroncoJoe
12-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Wonder why Orton isn't on that list.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
12-23-2011, 11:40 PM
They dont WANT an option offense. Elway has already said he wants a mobile qb who can play from the pocket, but wouldnt have to stay there.
In the last 3weeks, i doubt theres been 10% of the plays run from the option.
Its up to TT to learn the playbook, imo....and not the other way around.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TimBuff10
12-24-2011, 03:09 AM
They are just using the option as a gimmick type thing until Tebow develops into that NFL type QB that they want. The farther he gets into his career, the less and less you will see of the option and letting him do what he does best. They will still do it in the last few minutes if they are down since it works but that won't be the base offense.

I was on this Dennis Dixon train a few weeks ago too and still wish they would feature mroe of an option attack, but now it is pretty clear what they are trying to do. I just dont see it happening. If Tebow goes down for some reason, they will just go back to a more usual style of offense that relies heavily on the run still.

OrangeHoof
12-24-2011, 03:53 AM
Russell Wilson could be a workable solution but I haven't watched enough of him to know.

Vince Young was a spectacular college runner but he's never been a very good passer and I think between Jeff Fisher and a few injuries, he's lost his will to run like he used to. Still remember his rookie year in the NFL and how he drove coaches on both sidelines crazy trying to contain him.

That's one interesting thing about Tebow. He runs but he never seems to get hurt. He's a very tough kid and other than one concussion at Florida, I've never seen him get beat up physically.

MOtorboat
12-24-2011, 08:17 AM
Russell Wilson could be a workable solution but I haven't watched enough of him to know.

Vince Young was a spectacular college runner but he's never been a very good passer and I think between Jeff Fisher and a few injuries, he's lost his will to run like he used to. Still remember his rookie year in the NFL and how he drove coaches on both sidelines crazy trying to contain him.

That's one interesting thing about Tebow. He runs but he never seems to get hurt. He's a very tough kid and other than one concussion at Florida, I've never seen him get beat up physically.

Outside of RGIII, Wilson is probably the next best mobile quarterback, and he is pretty accurate throwing the ball. He'd be a good fit, imo, but for like a fourth rounder, third at the highest.

Dapper Dan
12-24-2011, 12:06 PM
I like Russel Wilson. But I'm not sure we waste any picks or money. We have Weber. I think we should keep Quinn.

Tebow got hurt at Kentucky. It was because of a bad landing. When he hit the ground on his back, his helmet hit his teammate and he got a concussion.

Joel
12-24-2011, 11:57 PM
If we presume that, going forward, Tim Tebow is the starting quarterback and a special offense needed to be created to best use his talents, then the Broncos need to find somebody who can run the same type of offense to be the backup next season should Tebow get hurt.

Robert Griffin III would be an ideal replacement except he's too good and would require a first-round pick which then means an instant quarterback controversy and we just saw how destructive that can be. No, what the Broncos need is somebody who would be a legit #2 quarterback who won't threaten Tebow for the starting job.

He needs to be somebody who can run the option, pass well enough and run well enough that he can take Tebow's place in the offense without having to drastically alter the offense.

The best guy I can think of for that is Dennis Dixon, the third-string QB of the Steelers. He's a good (not great) thrower and going back to his days at Oregon, he's a good (not great) runner. At 6-3 and 210, he's smaller than Tebow and probably wouldn't be a good choice to keep the ball a lot on running plays but I think he can make it work in the short-term, which is what you're asking your backup to do.

Dixon hasn't played that much behind Roethlisberger and Batch so he ought to be healthy and he might be available as a free agent this off-season. If not, I can't imagine the Steelers asking for more than a 6th-rounder in return.

Brady Quinn was never a runner in his career so he would not make a good backup and most of the candidates I can think of are either not good enough runners or not good enough passers or cost more than we'd want to spend on a back-up.

I STRONGLY support this approach; ideally, I'd like a guy who'd logged significant time as a starter, but unfortunately most of the guys who 1) run decently, 2) throw decently, 3) have significant starting time and 4) don't suck aren't going anywhere, because most QBs like that keep their starting jobs for obvious reasons. Finding a current backup might be our best realistic option. Unfortunately, most teams with BACKUPS like that usually chose them for the same reasons we want one: Because they have starters like that.

Of the realistic options on hoptards list, Feeley, Boller or Flynn would probably be my first choices. Of course, Flynn is backing up a rather mobile Aaron Rodgers just as Dixon is backing up a fairly mobile Roethlisberger, so the Pack and Steelers could well want more than a 6th rounder for them. VY would be the REAL long shot; I think he's got the talent and smarts, but agree with the vast majority who question his work ethic, and I doubt the Eagles would give him up cheap since he's a natural top choice to backup Vick (whose company won't do wonders for Youngs character.)

I DON'T want to try DRAFTING a QB who runs and pass adequately, because then we have TWO QB projects for our coaches to develop. The one current one is more than enough for the next year or two; they can't afford to split their time and attention between Tebow and someone else. If Tebow does continue developing, in a year or two that might be a good idea, which is another reason I like the idea of bringing in a current pro. I think a McNabb or Gerard might be a better option than a current second or third stringer though; those guys have the leadership and other experience required, and won't cost any draft picks (of course, a lot of them no longer have the durability or speed to run a dozen times a game.)

elwayisgod
12-25-2011, 01:03 AM
If anyone thinks Denver is going to keep this same offense, your crazy. Elway and fox know the wins are shallow and against shitty competition. We will be moving to NFL offense. Tebow will have to show he can do it. He still locks on first read way too much and he cant throw to the right. Sorry Tebow lovers, he hasnt proved he is NFL caliver quite yet. Key offseason for him IMO.

VonSackemMiller
12-25-2011, 03:14 AM

I dont think we need to bring in another tebow type QB, RG3 wil be going top 5 and IMO number one overall. The Broncos can use one of those 6th round picks and draft case keenum or sweeden from Oklahoma state. Hes 27 and would be the perfect back up to tebow. Hes pretty athletic but most of all he can sling it. I think hell be a guy that you can call on when needed if tebow was to go down.

Who ever the QB is will be in a run heavy offense or atleast we should be a run and play action type of offense. But niether of those guys would threatin tebows job or maybe they will but who cares. tebow will work hard and get better and hold them off, And if he doesnt the best man wins but i totally think tebow with a full off season is going to come back next year and set the league on fire throwing and running the ball, being able to read defenses better also. Give me Sweeden or Keenum to back him up. I like both of there intellegence and work ethic to be in the film room with tebow going over things.

VonSackemMiller
12-25-2011, 03:27 AM
If anyone thinks Denver is going to keep this same offense, your crazy. Elway and fox know the wins are shallow and against shitty competition. We will be moving to NFL offense. Tebow will have to show he can do it. He still locks on first read way too much and he cant throw to the right. Sorry Tebow lovers, he hasnt proved he is NFL caliver quite yet. Key offseason for him IMO.

Niether had Elways through 12 games. Tebows numbers and wins dominate Elways through there first 12 games. And elway plays some shitty teams also. Most young quarterbacks lock onto guys, Hell you got some veterans who do it also, Tebow getting this PT was the best thing that needed to happen for him to develope and have actual film of himself to study this off season.

Its easy to say i need to do this better and that better week in and week out but untill you actually study that film in a off season and learn how teams are playing you and where you are on the field when you need to make this play, that play, Learning your OL tendencies when all hell breaks loose, its alot to learn on the fly with no time to actually sit down week to week and study the film. You dont get to study yourself during the season, Only the opponent, Tebow has made NFL throws when he knows whats going on on defense and if anybody questions that then there just hating IMO.

Now the next step is learning defenses and learning exactly where to go with the ball and where that guy is if nothing open down the field. And speaking of somebody being open CAN WE GET THIS GUY A LEGIT DEEP THREAT, The broncos have some good TALENT at WR but nobody that just blows the top off a defense and have safeties in panick mode. Tebow needs that badly because he throws a very nice deep ball.

I do agree we wont run the read option 95 percent of the time but we should run it atleast 60 percent of the time because it is effective whether you actually run or throw it. PLaybook broke down how it even opened thiings up on the bears but our wideouts failed us alot that game dropping the ball.That read option sucks LBs up into the traffic and it opened up major lanes behind them. It should be here and here to stay but the coaching staff is being stupid and going 80% traditional offense all of a sudden which is mind boggling. :confused:

VonSackemMiller
12-25-2011, 03:30 AM
And as some guys mentioned Russell Wilson has broken out this year, He was average @ NC State though but he did make a jump when he left so i dont know.