PDA

View Full Version : Broncos release 5 players

broncobryce
02-11-2009, 06:34 PM
The club released running back Anthony Alridge, running back Alex Haynes, tight end Chad Mustard, running back P.J. Pope and wide receiver Cliff Russell.

-mile high report

Denver Native (Carol)
02-11-2009, 06:37 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8836

Broncos Release Five Players

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos on Wednesday announced five roster moves. The team released Anthony Alridge, Alex Haynes, Chad Mustard, P.J. Pope and Cliff Russell.

Alridge, who joined the team as a college free agent during the 2008 offseason, spent the entire regular season on injured reserve after injuring his ankle the team's final preseason contest at Arizona.

Haynes had two stints with the Broncos during the 2008 regular season, though he did not record any statistics.

Mustard, like Haynes, had two stints with the team in 2008, and he saw action in eight games.

Pope joined the Broncos' practice squad on September 1 and was later elevated to the active roster on November 4. He played in five games with one start before being placed on injured reserve on December 22.

Russell played in two games before being placed on injured reserve on September 30.

turftoad
The club released running back Anthony Alridge, running back Alex Haynes, tight end Chad Mustard, running back P.J. Pope and wide receiver Cliff Russell.

-mile high report

Well, thats the first round. No real suprises except maybe Alridge.

NameUsedBefore
Anthony Alridge - Didn't see that coming.
Alex Haynes - Didn't see that coming cause I didn't know he was on the team.
Chad Mustard - Saw this coming. Also saw his upcoming 5-cuts in 2009 coming as well.
P.J. Pope - Meh.
Cliff Russell. - Adrian Madise meh.

broncobryce
02-11-2009, 06:39 PM
I really thought Alridge would get a shot, but there was very little film of him to go off of I guess.

BeefStew25
02-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Chad Mustard is a good man. I hope he substitute teaches in the offseason.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Aldridge is the only surprie...but still not that big of one.

spikerman
02-11-2009, 07:06 PM
I was intrigued by Pope last season. He played well and ran hard when he was in the game.

Magnificent Seven
02-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Hope that they will release Patrick Ramsey.

Lonestar
02-11-2009, 07:43 PM
so who is next....

BroncoJoe
02-11-2009, 07:44 PM
so who is next....

Cutler.

JUST KIDDING IDIOTS!

frauschieze
02-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Cutler.

JUST KIDDING IDIOTS!

Post reported, insulting intelligence. :D

I'm hoping one of our "hazards" goes next...... i.e. one of those players whose position is safety but do anything but.

rcsodak
02-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Cutler.

JUST KIDDING IDIOTS!

Tease. :tsk:

:couch:

underrated29
02-11-2009, 07:49 PM
I am very surprised by alridge and pope...

Considering we are hanging on to Cory boyd- who a lot of us where pimping, but the guy never even played a single snap-including pre season as he got suspended in tampa...

We held on to him, but not alridge or pope who produced for us very well when asked?

Curious?

Dreadnought
02-11-2009, 07:51 PM

I'm hoping one of our "hazards" goes next...... i.e. one of those players whose position is safety but do anything but.

Pretty much any or all save for Barrett at this point - and I'd keep barrett only because its not yet 100% sure that he might not suck. We know the story well enough with the others. We don't technically have to release nate Webster, do we? Just not offer him a contract, right?

BroncoJoe
02-11-2009, 07:52 PM

Can a MOD report posts?

Bazaaro world....

frauschieze
02-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Pretty much any or all save for Barrett at this point - and I'd keep barrett only because its not yet 100% sure that he might not suck. We know the story well enough with the others. We don't technically have to release nate Webster, do we? Just not offer him a contract, right?

Exactly.

With Webster, I believe you are dead on. It should would be nice if they announced it though.....

The Broncos will not be in contract negotiations with Nate Webster because he sucks ass. The Broncos wish Webster luck in finding a new home because frankly, he's gonna need it.

Lonestar
02-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Can a MOD report posts?

Bazaaro world....

We do it all the time to get others thoughts on it and IF we have been posting in the thread then we are not supposed to mod it..

For example I report all of your Jay Bashing posts..

ever hear anything from them?:laugh::laugh:

frauschieze
02-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Can a MOD report posts?

Bazaaro world....

Bazaaro? Try bizarro. (MB isn't here so I have to do this.)

spikerman
02-11-2009, 08:20 PM
I look for Chad Jackson to be shown the door soon. He couldn't crack the starting lineup (or even see much playing time) in New England. Since McDaniels was his coach there, I think he knows what Jackson brings to the table. If he didn't want him on the field there I'm not sure why he would want him in Denver.

TXBRONC
02-11-2009, 09:12 PM

If I'm not mistaken Webster is a UFA.

BroncoJoe
02-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Bazaaro? Try bizarro. (MB isn't here so I have to do this.)

That's what spell check told me to do....

:confused:

Ziggy
02-11-2009, 09:29 PM
The Alridge cut surprised me. I guess either coach McD doesn't believe in a scat back, or he just thought Alridge wasn't going to be productive in the NFL. I hope that he gets a chance somewhere.

TXBRONC
02-11-2009, 09:37 PM
I look for Chad Jackson to be shown the door soon. He couldn't crack the starting lineup (or even see much playing time) in New England. Since McDaniels was his coach there, I think he knows what Jackson brings to the table. If he didn't want him on the field there I'm not sure why he would want him in Denver.

That thought had crossed my mind as well. That being said, I've been under the impression that Jackson was released because he just couldn't stay healthy.

TXBRONC
02-11-2009, 09:38 PM
The Alridge cut surprised me. I guess either coach McD doesn't believe in a scat back, or he just thought Alridge wasn't going to be productive in the NFL. I hope that he gets a chance somewhere.

There is always the chance that the Broncos will re-sign him at a later date.

claymore
02-11-2009, 09:40 PM

-mile high report
This is old news. This is from 2005. J/k

But it seems like it.

Fan in Exile
02-11-2009, 10:14 PM
The question that I had when I saw who was cut was, "does this make us more likely to draft a running back?"

Northman
02-11-2009, 10:16 PM
The question that I had when I saw who was cut was, "does this make us more likely to draft a running back?"

Dont know, but i noticed Walter's added the 4th round to their mock and they had Houston taking Andre Brown a couple of picks before us to compliment Slaton. The secret is out on Brown who was once projected as a 6th rounder. Ought to get real interesting.

rcsodak
02-11-2009, 10:26 PM
I am very surprised by alridge and pope...

Considering we are hanging on to Cory boyd- who a lot of us where pimping, but the guy never even played a single snap-including pre season as he got suspended in tampa...

We held on to him, but not alridge or pope who produced for us very well when asked?

Curious?

IR

McD doesn't want wuss' for rb's.

Tned
02-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Well, thats the first round. No real suprises except maybe Alridge.

Pope in his very brief stint ran hard. His injury popped up quick, but the handful of runs were nice.

WARHORSE
02-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Aldrige may have an injury problem perhaps.

On the other hand, we have about 42 backs on our roster, so he may have been the low man on the totem pole...............along with Poop.

LoyalSoldier
02-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Wow Mustard got cut, who didn't see that one coming. :rolleyes:

Though this time I am not sure we will resign him.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Nate Jackson lives to see another day. ****.

Lonestar
02-11-2009, 11:21 PM

Or he does ot believe in scat backs guess we will never know for sure..

Lonestar
02-11-2009, 11:23 PM

Looks to me like we can choose one of the other 14 RBs on the IR roster..:laugh:

Lonestar
02-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Aldrige may have an injury problem perhaps.

On the other hand, we have about 42 backs on our roster, so he may have been the LITTLE man on the totem pole...............along with Poop.

corrected for accuarcy

Lonestar
02-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Wow Mustard got cut, who didn't see that one coming. :rolleyes:

Though this time I am not sure we will resign him.

just next time Scheffler get hurt..

Superchop 7
02-11-2009, 11:52 PM
I know a bunch of guys on defense I would unload before Alridge.

Is the injury that bad ?

Shanny was raving about him.

Which means that Turner really liked him.

Turner is still here.........not sure if it's injury or philosophy change.

My guess....philosophy.

That said....I hope Alridge hooks up with a turf team.

He could smoke on turf.

I think that "not" giving him a shot in training camp is McKids first mistake.

dogfish
02-12-2009, 01:50 AM
I know a bunch of guys on defense I would unload before Alridge.

Is the injury that bad ?

Shanny was raving about him.

Which means that Turner really liked him.

Turner is still here.........not sure if it's injury or philosophy change.

My guess....philosophy.

That said....I hope Alridge hooks up with a turf team.

He could smoke on turf.

I think that "not" giving him a shot in training camp is McKids first mistake.

if anything, i wanted to see what he could do in the return game, where his speed gave him at least the potential to be dynamic. . . i don't mind using royal back there, but in the ideal situation you'd rather have someone that can give you the same explosiveness, and keep eddie fresh for playing receiver. . .

TXBRONC
02-12-2009, 04:17 AM
Maybe releasing Alridge means that the Broncos are going to try and draft another receiver so that Royal move to slot and concentrate on being our primary kick and punt returner.

And yes I know we have Stokley as our slot receiver but he is starting to get long in tooth.

sneakers
02-12-2009, 06:36 AM
Chad Mustard has been cut 17 times in the last two years......HE WILL BE BACK!!!!

Dirk
02-12-2009, 06:58 AM
Well with McD's philosophy of toughness....maybe he is looking towards Hillis being the feature back. Smash mouth style runner.

I too would like to see Eddie taken out of the punt return postition. I always cringe when I see the guy go out there, especially last year when injuries seemed to stem up all over the field.

omac
02-12-2009, 08:36 AM
There is always the chance that the Broncos will re-sign him at a later date.

Maybe they're thinking of putting him in the practice squad.

TXBRONC
02-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Maybe they're thinking of putting him in the practice squad.

At this point that certainly could be possible.

Medford Bronco
02-12-2009, 10:48 AM
so who is next....

I would hope Dre Bly or Nate Webster

Northman
02-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Get rid of that crappy punter!!!!

TXBRONC
02-12-2009, 11:54 AM
I would hope Dre Bly or Nate Webster

IIRC Webster has been given permission to seek employment elsewhere.

frauschieze
02-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Get rid of that crappy punter!!!!

:negrep:

Just because the only thing you beat Kern in was a jelly doughnut eating contest is no reason to get rid of him.

Northman
02-12-2009, 12:04 PM
:negrep:

Just because the only thing you beat Kern in was a jelly doughnut eating contest is no reason to get rid of him.

Your just pissed because i dumped some ben gay in his jock strap and he couldnt make out with you during the season. How was i supposed to know he was allergic?

frauschieze
02-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Your just pissed because i dumped some ben gay in his jock strap and he couldnt make out with you during the season. How was i supposed to know he was allergic?

There's only one special teamer for me. ;)

TXBRONC
02-12-2009, 12:06 PM

:rofl:

LRtagger
02-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Damnit how in the world is Alridge out on the first cuts sonuvabitch

TXBRONC
02-12-2009, 02:11 PM
Damnit how in the world is Alridge out on the first cuts sonuvabitch

I don't think its all the surprising considering he was IR and they have nothing really more to go on than a few pre-season games.

LRtagger
02-12-2009, 02:14 PM
exactly the reason to keep him through camp...at least see what he can do. I liked what I saw in limited time and it is believed that we was placed on IR so no teams could grab him from our practice squad.

There are plenty of guys on the team that played all year that I would cut way before Alridge. I'm certain the guy could at least return kickoffs. Oh well.

TXBRONC
02-12-2009, 02:19 PM
exactly the reason to keep him through camp...at least see what he can do. I liked what I saw in limited time and it is believed that we was placed on IR so no teams could grab him from our practice squad.

There are plenty of guys on the team that played all year that I would cut way before Alridge. I'm certain the guy could at least return kickoffs. Oh well.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there is very good chance that McDaniels is going by how Patriots viewed him when he came out last year. In the end no one drafted him so I wouldn't doubt that worked against him as well.

tomjonesrocks
02-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Am disappointed and surprised Alridge was cut. Thought he had potential from what we saw in preseason.

turftoad
02-12-2009, 02:29 PM
The other thing to keep in mind is that there is very good chance that McDaniels is going by how Patriots viewed him when he came out last year. In the end no one drafted him so I wouldn't doubt that worked against him as well.

Yep, m sure Shanny and McDaniels have different veiws on players. That said, don't count on Mustard comming back this year. :D

OB
02-12-2009, 02:31 PM
i guess chad didnt cut the mustard :rofl:

(didnt read the thread sorry if it was already said ;) )

weazel
02-12-2009, 02:31 PM
Chad Mustard got released???? You're kidding me, I never seen that coming!

Shall we put bets on when he re-signs?

weazel
02-12-2009, 02:32 PM

only 1000 times in 1000 different threads...

shank
02-12-2009, 02:45 PM
alridge should have been given a chance. explosive runner and a good guy. hopefully he lands on our practice squad or at least gets a chance somewhere else.

Fan in Exile
02-12-2009, 03:12 PM

But at least we know that McDaniels can cut the mustard.

LRtagger
02-12-2009, 03:15 PM

They should cut Selvin and Hall then if that is all they are basing it on. I mean I trust that they saw something they didnt like, but for Heaven's sake there are more people on the roster that are far worse football players...half of them started for us on D. The guy is a scrapper and probably the fastest guy on the team. I just don't see it I guess. I would have never released him this early, but I guess that is why I am not an NFL coach.

TXBRONC
02-12-2009, 04:56 PM
They should cut Selvin and Hall then if that is all they are basing it on. I mean I trust that they saw something they didnt like, but for Heaven's sake there are more people on the roster that are far worse football players...half of them started for us on D. The guy is a scrapper and probably the fastest guy on the team. I just don't see it I guess. I would have never released him this early, but I guess that is why I am not an NFL coach.

You got my support on this, I'm just trying to throw out a possible reason for it.

LRtagger
02-12-2009, 05:10 PM
You got my support on this, I'm just trying to throw out a possible reason for it.

I hear ya on that. I wish we could hear a reason from the FO on the move. I am dumbfounded by it.

turftoad
02-12-2009, 05:17 PM

Who knows. You gotta think that Bobby Turner has some type of say when it comes the RB's. Well, you like to at least think so anyway.

Medford Bronco
02-12-2009, 05:21 PM
IIRC Webster has been given permission to seek employment elsewhere.

Yeah the local Medi Mart :lol:

nevcraw
02-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Not sure if anyone else brought this up but Maybe Alrdidge is not recovering well from his injury... didn't he have the lisfrank thingy torrain had? That used to cost careers..

Lonestar
02-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Yeah the local Medi Mart :lol:

hear there is an opening at the alltel kiosk at the mall..:laugh:

Lonestar
02-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Not sure if anyone else brought this up but Maybe Alrdidge is not recovering well from his injury... didn't he have the lisfrank thingy torrain had? That used to cost careers..

I'm guessing if that were the case they would have reached an injury settlement..

I suspect that he flat did not fit into the plans..

D1g1tal j1m
02-12-2009, 05:57 PM
McD has his own views of what kind of RB will be successful in his system that he is bringing from NE.
In NE all the running backs were big backs with a lot of toughness. Speed at that position was not a necessity but the preference was for RBs read their blocks at the line and then break tackles.

Alrdidge is 5-9 / 175

Patriots RBs in 2008;
LaMont Jordan, Height: 5-10 Weight: 230
Sammy Morris, Height: 6-0 Weight: 220
Kevin Faulk, Height: 5-8 Weight: 202
BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Height: 5-11 Weight: 215
Laurence Maroney, Height: 5-11 Weight: 220

Lonestar
02-12-2009, 06:02 PM
McD has his own views of what kind of RB will be successful in his system that he is bringing from NE.
In NE all the running backs were big backs with a lot of toughness. Speed at that position was not a necessity but the preference was for RBs read their blocks at the line and then break tackles.

Alrdidge is 5-9 / 175

Patriots RBs in 2008;
LaMont Jordan, Height: 5-10 Weight: 230
Sammy Morris, Height: 6-0 Weight: 220
Kevin Faulk, Height: 5-8 Weight: 202
BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Height: 5-11 Weight: 215
Laurence Maroney, Height: 5-11 Weight: 220

Good post and information..

I guess I always thought Faulk was bigger than that but then only 5'8" and 202 probably equal 6' and 230.. He certainly runs like it..

That is my Idea of RB also some one over 225 and frankly IMHO the take it to the house crap of the past 5-6 years was totally overrated..

Mc Kid has just elevated his bonus points on my coach scale. Might have to call him Mc Teen..

Cugel
02-13-2009, 09:42 AM

:beer:

What? 60 posts before someone said:

Broncos Cut The Mustard Again!

That should have been page 1.
(I know. I know. I just can't help it.)

Cugel
02-13-2009, 09:44 AM
hear there is an opening at the alltel kiosk at the mall..:laugh:

Not for long! Tatum Bell better keep that booth in reserve!

broncofaninfla
02-13-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm guessing Xanders made these cuts?

turftoad
02-13-2009, 12:40 PM
February 13, 2009, 01:24
Redskins :: RB

Redskins Awarded RB Alridge Off Waivers From Broncos

Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News -

The Washington Redskins were awarded running back Anthony Alridge off waivers from the Denver Broncos on Thursday. The Minnesota Vikings had also placed a claim on Alridge, but the Redskins were rewarded his services as a result of their worse record in the 2008 season.

Boy, that didn't take long. Looks like a few teams wanted him.

broncofaninfla
02-13-2009, 12:45 PM

The Washington Redskins were awarded running back Anthony Alridge off waivers from the Denver Broncos on Thursday. The Minnesota Vikings had also placed a claim on Alridge, but the Redskins were rewarded his services as a result of their worse record in the 2008 season.

He barely got a chance to show what he could do. Cutting him was premature and has me already questioning Xanders.

omac
02-13-2009, 05:46 PM

Grrrr! Lots of guys on defense we could've cut before Aldridge.

And Aldridge looked to have the same skills Faulk brought to the table with his catching skills to go along with his insane speed. Sproles was a tough matchup last season. Plus, as has been mentioned, kick returns. Aaarrrgghhh! :D

omac
02-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Good post and information..

I guess I always thought Faulk was bigger than that but then only 5'8" and 202 probably equal 6' and 230.. He certainly runs like it..

That is my Idea of RB also some one over 225 and frankly IMHO the take it to the house crap of the past 5-6 years was totally overrated..

Mc Kid has just elevated his bonus points on my coach scale. Might have to call him Mc Teen..

I agree with you about wanting backs who can get the small, tough yards over the homerun hitters, but the physical size of the back doesn't necessarily equate to physical toughness.

Sammy Morris was out 10 games in 2007. Laurence Maroney was out 13 games in 2008. Our own Ryan Torain is 6'1, 225, yet he's always injured.

Considering the Pats in Doogie's offense aren't overworked, and are rotated a lot, that's some significant downtime too.

One thing about Aldridge, though; he was a tough runner, willing to run in between the tackles, not just to the outside. With Portis' propensity for injuries, they'll probably use Aldridge a lot as a change of pace back, to keep Portis fresh for the late season surge.