PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos Strategy and Personnel

Denver Native (Carol)
02-09-2009, 07:05 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4809726/Denver-Broncos-Strategy-and-Personnel?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

As new Broncos coach McDaniels put together his staff, it was apparent quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates wasn't going to be an ideal fit. Bates called the plays last season and was lauded for his ability calling the offense, but McDaniels confirmed right after he was hired that he would call the plays for Denver.

So despite being popular with the players, Bates left. He was hired to be Southern California's offensive coordinator, to replace Steve Sarkisian.

"As a unit, our offense became one of the most productive in the league with Jeremy calling plays," Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler said in a statement to the Los Angeles Times. "He brought a lot of excitement to the meeting room and on the field. He made me want to come to work every day and get better. Jeremy will do great things in his new role, and USC couldn't have picked a better guy."

Although McDaniels will call plays, Mike McCoy will be the team's new offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. McCoy spent the past nine seasons with the Carolina Panthers.

The Broncos did retain two assistants that were integral in the team's success in the running game under Mike Shanahan: offensive line coach Rick Dennison and running backs coach Bobby Turner.

Among the other hires McDaniels made were Mike Priefer as special teams coordinator, Ed Donatell as secondary coach, Adam Gase as wide receivers coach and Wayne Nunnely as defensive line coach.

Nunnely comes from San Diego. The Chargers used a 3-4 defense, which Denver might also use under new defensive coordinator Mike Nolan.

UNIT-BY-UNIT ANALYSIS

QUARTERBACK: Starter -- Jay Cutler. Backup -- Darrell Hackney. Injured reserve -- Patrick Ramsey.

The move to hire Josh McDaniels as head coach might not have been done solely with Cutler's future in mind, but it won't hurt. McDaniels did a great job with New England's offense the past few years and he promises a quarterback-friendly scheme in Denver. Cutler was already developing nicely under Mike Shanahan, but he needs to cut down on mistakes to take the next step. He did pass for 4,000 yards in his third year and make the Pro Bowl. Ramsey, a free agent, could return. The Broncos could also draft and develop a backup for the future.

RUNNING BACK: Starter -- RB Tatum Bell, FB Spencer Larsen. Backups -- Cory Boyd, Alex Haynes, FB Andrew Pinnock. Injured reserve -- RB Michael Pittman, RB Selvin Young, RB Andre Hall, RB Ryan Torain, RB P.J. Pope, RB Anthony Alridge, RB/FB Peyton Hillis.

Bell ended the season as the starter because seven tailbacks were on IR. It's anyone's guess who will begin 2009 as the starter, especially since there is a new coaching staff. While some tailbacks had moments, even for about a quarter and a half like Torain, none emerged as a clear-cut option to be the workhorse next season. The most complete back might be Hillis, who should be recovered from a torn hamstring by offseason camps. He might be pigeonholed as a fullback or even an H-back, however.

TIGHT ENDS: Starter -- Daniel Graham. Backups -- Tony Scheffler, Jeb Putzier, Chad Mustard. Injured reserve -- Nate Jackson.

The Broncos are pretty well set at tight end. Graham is a great blocker and emerged as a solid option in the passing game in 2008. Scheffler has great talent but is inconsistent and needs to stay healthy for a full year. Denver could use some depth behind those two. Putzier and Mustard were signed in midseason. Jackson will be coming off a major hamstring injury.

WIDE RECEIVERS: Starters -- Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal. Backups -- Brandon Stokley, Chad Jackson, Darrell Jackson. Injured reserve -- Edell Shepherd, Clifford Russell.

Marshall admittedly had too many drops in 2008, and he had stretches of production that weren't fitting of a Pro Bowl starter, but he is a tremendous playmaker. If he continues to improve, he will remain among the elite in the NFL for a long time. Royal also showed a lot of ability as a rookie, as a returner and a receiver. In McDaniels' offense, Royal could play a Wes Welker-type of a role while Marshall is more of a Randy Moss-type threat. Stokley is reliable but aging, which means Denver has to build some depth. Chad Jackson has the physical ability and the Broncos liked him enough after a midseason pickup to have him active most games down the stretch.

OFFENSIVE LINE: Starters -- LT Ryan Clady, LG Ben Hamilton, C Casey Wiegmann, RG Chris Kuper, RT Ryan Harris. Backups -- C/G Kory Lichtensteiger, T Tyler Polumbus, G Pat Murray. Injured reserve -- C Tom Nalen, T Erik Pears.

The Broncos hit it big with their first-round pick, drafting Clady. Clady had a fantastic season, better than the Broncos could even have imagined. He was second-team All-Pro and should be a stalwart at an important position for many years in Denver. Harris also had a very good season at right tackle. The Broncos could use some more depth at tackle and they will wait to see if Wiegmann wants to come back for another year at center. If not, the team likes the potential of 2008 draft pick Kory Lichtensteiger.

DEFENSIVE LINE: Starters -- DE Elvis Dumervil, DT Dewayne Robertson, DT Marcus Thomas, DE Ebenezer Ekuban. Backups -- DE Tim Crowder, DE John Engelberger, DE Jarvis Moss, DT Kenny Peterson, DT Nic Clemons. Injured reserve -- DT Josh Shaw.

Rebuilding the defensive line will be a huge chore for the Broncos. There's not enough talent among the starters and very little quality depth. The team invested heavily in the defensive line in the 2007 draft, picking Moss, Crowder and Thomas among its four picks, and none of them has made a huge impact. Moss and Crowder each spent some time in 2008 as healthy scratches. Dumervil is coming off a disappointing season, but is one of the few potential impact players on the line. The interior line needs plenty of work. There just weren't many big plays from this unit.

LINEBACKERS: Starters -- SLB Jamie Winborn, MLB Nate Webster, WLB D.J. Williams. Backups -- MLB Niko Koutouvides, OLB Wesley Woodyard, OLB Louis Green, MLB Mario Haggan. Injured reserve -- OLB Boss Bailey.

Denver will have to think long and hard about what to do at linebacker. There is some talent. Williams was having an outstanding year before he suffered a knee injury, Winborn had a productive season and Woodyard was a huge surprise as a rookie. Williams has always seemed more comfortable on the weak side, but he might have to slide inside in a 3-4 if the new coaches use that scheme. If the Broncos continue with a 4-3, moving Williams to the middle might be best. The Broncos need a standout middle linebacker, and Woodyard could be a key piece on the weak side.

DEFENSIVE BACKS: Starters -- CB Champ Bailey, CB Dre Bly, FS Josh Barrett, SS Marquand Manuel. Backups -- CB Karl Paymah, CB Jack Williams, CB Josh Bell, S Vernon Fox, S Herana-Daze Jones, S Marlon McCree.

The rotating starters at safety was a tragic comedy for the Broncos all season. Their safety play was as poor as any team in the league, which is one reason the team picked off only six passes. The only bright spot was Barrett's play late in the year. He is raw and made some mistakes, but has the physical talent to become a good player. The rest of that position has to be overhauled. Bailey played well before a groin injury and Bly had his best weeks as a Bronco while Bailey was out. Still, Denver needs to assess what it has at cornerback and find some good young depth. Bell played well at times. Williams started hot but faded into obscurity by the end of his rookie year.

SPECIAL TEAMS: K Matt Prater, P Brett Kern, LS Mike Leach, KOR/PR Eddie Royal.

Prater started well and finished poorly. The new coaching regime will have to decide to bring him back again or go in a different direction. He does have a strong leg and perhaps could improve with experience. Kern had a steady, solid rookie year and could be a long-term answer. Leach is as good as they come. Royal is explosive but Denver has to decide whether to expose one of their best offensive players on returns.

Grover
02-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks for posting that position-by-position review.

I gotta say that reading through our defensive talent is just depressing.

frauschieze
02-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Leach is as good as they come.

Uh huh. Thaaaaat's right. :cool:

Thanks for posting, Carol! :salute:

Lonestar
02-09-2009, 08:08 PM
indeed there some real issues on D

4-3 keepers

DEFENSIVE LINE: Starters -- DE Elvis Dumervil, DT Dewayne Robertson, DT Marcus Thomas, DE Ebenezer Ekuban. Backups -- DE Tim Crowder , DE John Engelberger, DE Jarvis Moss, DT Kenny Peterson, DT Nic Clemons. Injured reserve -- DT Josh Shaw. PUP DTPOWELL
There just weren't many big plays from this unit.

LINEBACKERS: Starters -- SLB Jamie Winborn, MLB Nate Webster, WLB D.J. Williams. Backups -- MLB Niko Koutouvides, OLB Wesley Woodyard, OLB Louis Green, MLB Mario Haggan. Injured reserve -- OLB Boss Bailey.

DEFENSIVE BACKS: Starters -- CB Champ Bailey, CB Dre Bly, FS Josh Barrett, SS Marquand Manuel. Backups -- CB Karl Paymah, CB Jack Williams, CB Josh Bell, S Vernon Fox, S Herana-Daze Jones, S Marlon McCree.

3-4 keepers

DEFENSIVE LINE: , DE Marcus Thomas, DE Ebenezer Ekuban. Backups -- DE Tim Crowder , DE John Engelberger, DE Kenny Peterson, NT POWELL

Cut from squad DT Dewayne Robertson, DT Nic Clemons. Injured reserve -- DT Josh Shaw.

There just weren't any big plays from this unit.

LINEBACKERS:OLB Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis Moss , MLB D.J. Williams, FB Spencer Larsen . Backups - SLB Jamie Winborn, MLB Mario Haggan

Cut from squad MLB Nate Webster- MLB Niko Koutouvides, OLB , OLB Louis Green, . Injured reserve -- OLB Boss Bailey.

DEFENSIVE BACKS: Starters -- CB Champ Bailey, CB Dre Bly, FS Josh Barrett, SS Wesley Woodyard, backups CB Jack Williams, CB Josh Bell,

Cut from squad Marquand Manuel. Backups -- CB Karl Paymah, S Vernon Fox, S Herana-Daze Jones, S Marlon McCree.

LRtagger
02-09-2009, 10:18 PM
That position write-up was excellent. Thanks for sharing!

omac
02-10-2009, 03:53 AM
They should list Larsen as a LB, specially since he might be better than some of our starters.

fcspikeit
02-10-2009, 04:10 AM
They should list Larsen as a LB, specially since he might be better than some of our starters.

I hope Larson don't get labeled as a FB for the rest of his carrier :mad:

That situation still pisses me off.. Hillis is sitting on the bench so Shanahan can experiment with Larson at FB, all the while we have the worst starting Mike inn the NFL in Webster on the field :confused:

That was more then a little retarded... I will never get it... What the hell was Mike thinking?

TXBRONC
02-10-2009, 09:23 AM

Even with as little as he got to play at linebacker, his play was miles ahead of that of Nate Webster.

broncofaninfla
02-10-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm thinking the only reason Larsen wasn't listed at LB is that this article was written by somebody who isn'y very familiar with the broncos.

Lonestar
02-10-2009, 03:28 PM

my update did..

Lonestar
02-10-2009, 03:29 PM
I hope Larson don't get labeled as a FB for the rest of his carrier :mad:

That situation still pisses me off.. Hillis is sitting on the bench so Shanahan can experiment with Larson at FB, all the while we have the worst starting Mike inn the NFL in Webster on the field :confused:

That was more then a little retarded... I will never get it... What the hell was Mike thinking?

Caution

MASTER Mind

at work..

GEM
02-10-2009, 03:54 PM

Especially since it was a Shanahan experiment to move him to FB.

Superchop 7
02-10-2009, 04:32 PM
I like the idea of moving DJ to inside, Between Woodyard, Dumerville, Larsen, Moss, I think we can get some better linebacker play. We need to draft Curry to shore things up and get a pro-bowler.

I also would like to see Woodyard get some pre-season reps at SS.

And yes, Larsen at FB is stupid, he is a linebacker with great heart and instincts.

In the end, we draft defense with every pick and hope for the best.......it certainly couldn't get worse.

topscribe
02-10-2009, 04:45 PM
I like the idea of moving DJ to inside, Between Woodyard, Dumerville, Larsen, Moss, I think we can get some better linebacker play. We need to draft Curry to shore things up and get a pro-bowler.

I also would like to see Woodyard get some pre-season reps at SS.

And yes, Larsen at FB is stupid, he is a linebacker with great heart and instincts.

In the end, we draft defense with every pick and hope for the best.......it certainly couldn't get worse.

Problem is, our chances of getting Curry is just slightly better than my becoming President.

(Which is fine with me because that's the last thing I want . . . well, I want Curry.)

-----

Drill-N-Fill
02-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Putz is still with the team? :confused:

Lonestar
02-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Putz is still with the team? :confused:

why not he was a decent TE before mikey pumped smoke up his butt and made the jets make a ridiculous offer for him which we matched..

Mikey the GM strikes again..

He was Jakes best friend on 3rd down and was a bi Eddie Mac Timex type "took a lickin and kept on tickin.". For you younger folks that was Timex's motto for years they had commercials showing the abuse they would take and then show them ticking and keeping time.

"Takes a licking and keeps on ticking".

For those of you that hate Nate Jackson he is a good replacement guy for him...

Cugel
02-11-2009, 12:50 PM
The ONE thing not mentioned in this article is the UTTER LACK of a 3-4 NT. The Broncos can move to a 3-4 ONLY if they solve that gaping problem.

That's very likely why McDaniels emphasized that they aren't committed to a 3-4 yet. They might have to find a FA NT, which won't be easy AND draft a future starting NT, which may not be possible, unless they get lucky with BJ Raji falling into their laps. (Don't hold your breath). :coffee:

Then, they have to decide what to do about Robertson. They can only keep him if he renegotiates his contract. The $4 million roster bonus is due in March, so we'll know early if they want him or whether they're going to throw him back into the pond.

He sure didn't look like a $5 million a year DT last season and his knees are gimpy as an old man's (no cartilage left). :coffee:

TXBRONC
02-11-2009, 05:10 PM
The ONE thing not mentioned in this article is the UTTER LACK of a 3-4 NT. The Broncos can move to a 3-4 ONLY if they solve that gaping problem.

That's very likely why McDaniels emphasized that they aren't committed to a 3-4 yet. They might have to find a FA NT, which won't be easy AND draft a future starting NT, which may not be possible, unless they get lucky with BJ Raji falling into their laps. (Don't hold your breath). :coffee:

Then, they have to decide what to do about Robertson. They can only keep him if he renegotiates his contract. The $4 million roster bonus is due in March, so we'll know early if they want him or whether they're going to throw him back into the pond.

He sure didn't look like a $5 million a year DT last season and his knees are gimpy as an old man's (no cartilage left). :coffee:

Raji would be the guy I would want first, however there are few others that will be available in this year's draft. Ron Brace who was Raji's teammate just might make a pretty good NT.

Lonestar
02-11-2009, 06:24 PM

I think your dead on with this..

Without a decent NT your screwed trying to run 3-4 and the ya re hard to come by..

Robertson could do in a pinch but I'd not plan on the change because of him.. As you said the gimpy knees and his wanting out of NYC for that same reason not wanting to play it makes me think they will dump him SOON.. Damn the cap hit eat it this year while we have it..

Getting great NT in FA IMO is not going to happen and with dabble if you can't get a top tier guy.. make our move in the draft and plan on 4-3 this year with some 3-4 while we adjust the players to get more 3-4 types..

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-13-2009, 12:19 AM
San Diego's NT Igor Oshansky is going to be testing the FA would put us right on track where we need to be...and if i spelled his name wrong oh well will learn to spell it if/when he becomes a Bronco. This would be more realistic than signing Peppers or Haynesworth.

Lonestar
02-13-2009, 12:23 AM
San Diego's NT Igor Oshansky is going to be testing the FA would put us right on track where we need to be...and if i spelled his name wrong oh well will learn to spell it if/when he becomes a Bronco. This would be more realistic than signing Peppers or Haynesworth.

IIRC he is to tall and skinny to play NT most great NT are 6-6' 2" at most and well over 325

he is more like 6'6" and 310 or so.. a good DT but not NT IMHO..

BRONCOSFREAK765
02-13-2009, 12:33 AM
true but he is said to be one of the strongest in the nfl. I admit i thought he played NT...shows how much i know about the chargers lol.

Lonestar
02-13-2009, 12:38 AM
true but he is said to be one of the strongest in the nfl. I admit i thought he played NT...shows how much i know about the chargers lol.

Maybe he did from time to time. in their system but I think he played more Down DE..