PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Playoff Clinching Scenarios -- MERGED

BroncoWave
12-20-2011, 01:18 PM
We will clinch the division with a win + Raiders loss to the Chiefs this week. We could clinch at least the wildcard with a win + losses by the Jets, Bengals, and Titans.

So hopefully the Chiefs can continue this magic one more week and we take care of business in Buffalo.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace

NightTerror218
12-20-2011, 01:20 PM
We will clinch the division with a win + Raiders loss to the Chiefs this week. We could clinch at least the wildcard with a win + losses by the Jets, Bengals, and Titans.

So hopefully the Chiefs can continue this magic one more week and we take care of business in Buffalo.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace

Actually we have tie breakers over jets and Bengals, but not Titans. We can lose both and if we have the same record as them we are in (except titans)

chazoe60
12-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Bottom line is we just need to win. Take care of our business and who cares what the other teams do.

camdisco24
12-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Bottom line is we just need to win. Take care of our business and who cares what the other teams do.

And that's a good position to be in! Can't stand depending on a miracle.

Just win!

vandammage13
12-20-2011, 01:31 PM
We can win a first round bye (2nd seed) if the following occurs:

Broncos win out (@BUF vs.KC)
+
Steelers lose out (vs.STL, @CLE)
+
Ravens lose out (vs.CLE, @CIN)
+
Texans lose out (@IND, vs.TEN)

Not gonna happen, but a guy can dream can't he?

BroncoWave
12-20-2011, 02:00 PM

Yes, but with a win and some help this week, we can rest some people in week 17 to get ready for the playoffs, so I'm hoping for that!

MileHighCrew
12-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Merry Christmas Broncos fans, we clinch this week!!!!

underrated29
12-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Also as long as we beat the chiefs in week 17 if we win or lose next week (16) we will be in the playoffs

rcsodak
12-20-2011, 02:17 PM

Yep. Win out. But 1 more loss, and I have a feeling SD takes it.

Not wanting the KC game to be a must win, with their renewed attitude.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Mike
12-20-2011, 02:31 PM

No way SD wins the division. Too little, too late.

chazoe60
12-20-2011, 02:39 PM

SD can only win the division if we lose out. Hopefully we end their season Saturday.

Mike
12-20-2011, 02:41 PM
SD can only win the division if we lose out. Hopefully we end their season Saturday.

I think Oak has to lose out too due to tiebreakers.

Buff
12-20-2011, 02:43 PM
I'd love to clinch against Buffalo after that painful season finale knocked us out a few years ago.

OrangeHoof
12-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Somebody between Oakland, SD, and KC has to lose because they still have to play each other. We just need to wind up with a better record than the survivor.

NightTrainLayne
12-20-2011, 02:51 PM
I hope we get lucky and clinch this weekend. I'm not looking forward to a must win against KC.

Just ask yourself, "How many AFC West teams have we beat at home lately?"

The answer ain't pretty.

cmc0605
12-20-2011, 03:05 PM
On nfl.com...

Denver clinches AFC West Division:

1) DEN win + OAK loss or tie

2) DEN tie + OAK loss + SD loss or tie

Denver clinches a wild-card spot:

1) DEN win + NYJ loss + CIN loss + TEN loss or tie

cmc0605
12-20-2011, 03:09 PM
oops sorry for the repeat post..

Dapper Dan
12-20-2011, 03:31 PM
I'd love to see double digit wins at 10-6.

BroncoStud
12-20-2011, 04:37 PM

Yep, win the last 2 games against average opponents and we're in.

wayninja
12-20-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm in the minority (shocker, right?), but I'd love to see Oakland win on Sunday along with Denver. I want to see Tebow vs Orton live on pay-per-view.

If we can't beat the Queefs led by a Goat fainter at home in a must win situation, we don't belong anywhere near the playoffs.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-20-2011, 05:16 PM

For SD to win the division, we have to lose our last 2 games and SD must win out (they must have a 1 game lead at 9-7 to our 8-8). If we're both 8-8, we win the division regardless.

Oakland must win out and we have to lose to KC for them to take the division at 9-7.

For KC to win the division, they have to win out and everyone else has to lose out.

Essentially if we beat Buffalo this week, the only obstacle left is Oakland potentially winning out and us losing to KC. If we beat Buffalo and Oakland loses to KC, we're in. We MUST beat Buffalo!!!

BroncoStud
12-20-2011, 05:54 PM
The Buffalo game is going to be very tough and we need Dawkins back in a BIG way. I would love nothing more than to see the offense explode on the ground in this game and drop 30 points on the Bills in a runaway win.

The best way to beat the Bills is to keep Fitzpatrick on the sideline. He has to be licking his chops after watching our sad excuse for a secondary against New England.

TXBRONC
12-20-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm not going to concentrate on playoff scenarios just yet. I just hope they win Sunday. Even if we don't clinch this weekend I know it cuts the balls off the Chargers playoff hopes.

Joel
12-20-2011, 06:48 PM
On nfl.com...

Denver clinches AFC West Division:

1) DEN win + OAK loss or tie

2) DEN tie + OAK loss + SD loss or tie

Denver clinches a wild-card spot:

1) DEN win + NYJ loss + CIN loss + TEN loss or tie
Not sure what more needs to be said than this; pretty simple at this point. All the playoff scenarios are mildly complex, but the CLINCHING scenarios are few and simple.

I'm more interested in why it is that if NE loses a game while Baltimore and Houston win out, Houston's the #1 seed and Baltimore's #2 but if they ALL win out Baltimore's STILL #2 and Houston falls to #3. Seems like Baltimore should always beat Houston, because of the head to head, but for some reason every source I've seen says if they're the top two Houston beats Baltimore, because of Conference record.

Anyway, for the AFC West, the relevant data is this, in order of tiebreak:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings

Denver 8-6 Division 3-2 Common opponents 6-4 Conference 6-4
Raiders 7-7 Division 2-2 Common opponents 4-6 Conference 5-5
SDiego 7-7 Division 2-3 Common opponents 4-6 Conference 6-5
Kansas 6-8 Division 2-2 Common opponents 4-6 Conference 3-7

Week 16
Denver@Buffalo
Oakland@KC (KC can win head to head tiebreak over Oakland)
SD@Detriot

Week 17
KC@Denver
SD@Oakland

Can't do strength of victory/schedule/net points etc. because we don't yet know the outcomes of the other 27 games but, realistically, the odds look really small for anyone but us or Chokeland.

Joel
12-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Also as long as we beat the chiefs in week 17 if we win or lose next week (16) we will be in the playoffs
While true, if Buffalo beats us and KC beats Oakland they have the momentum (IMHO.) Additionally, while it's better to back into than miss the playoffs, it doesn't bode well for our chances once there, and raises questions about whether even being there is more than random chance. Also, I'm tired of being on the edge of my seat all the time. Just once I'd like to sit back and enjoy a game without the outcome being a life or death situation.

For SD to win the division, we have to lose our last 2 games and SD must win out (they must have a 1 game lead at 9-7 to our 8-8). If we're both 8-8, we win the division regardless.

Oakland must win out and we have to lose to KC for them to take the division at 9-7.

For KC to win the division, they have to win out and everyone else has to lose out.

Essentially if we beat Buffalo this week, the only obstacle left is Oakland potentially winning out and us losing to KC. If we beat Buffalo and Oakland loses to KC, we're in. We MUST beat Buffalo!!!
Yeah, while we have few clinching scenarios, we're the ONLY team a loss won't eliminate. Additionally, a Denver win also eliminates KC (which couldn't match our 9 wins) and SD (which couldn't match our 7 wins against common opponents.) That's why a Denver AND KC win clinches the Division for us: KC would eliminate the only other possible AFCW winner.

camdisco24
12-20-2011, 11:15 PM
I'm in the minority (shocker, right?), but I'd love to see Oakland win on Sunday along with Denver. I want to see Tebow vs Orton live on pay-per-view.

If we can't beat the Queefs led by a Goat fainter at home in a must win situation, we don't belong anywhere near the playoffs.

You is crazy!!

But I agree with the second part. :beer: