PDA

View Full Version : Tebow's feet

Jsteve01
12-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Hey Im not a foot man, but having grown up with a coach as a father. I always learned that the feet were the most important facet of any position in football or basketball. So I talked to my old man the other day about Timmy and he said that with Tebow as with many people his greatest strength is also his greatest weakness. His feet allow him to move around in the pocket and extend plays and obviously allow him to hurt the opposition in the run game. The big problem is his footwork is horrendous when it comes to the passing game.

So the big question. I hear people saying you can't improve accuracy. Billick said it early on (let's be honest. He's still cringing from the Boller years.) And I've heard many others say it since then. So pops laughs at that idea. "If he gets his feet settled down, the accuracy problems go away." I agree with this completely. Give this kid an offseason of focusing completely on footwork, forget about messing with his throwing motion and I think you've got a kid that can be right around 60% next year. If that happens then watch out.

wayninja
12-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Damn, I was really hoping this was a fetish thread...

Dreadnought
12-20-2011, 12:45 PM

:tsk:

That's why we have a Lounge. You could start a fetish thread in there and we won't judge you. A few might point and laugh, of course, but that's only human...

underrated29
12-20-2011, 12:47 PM

Hi Rex!

Why are you on the broncos board and not the Jets?

MOtorboat
12-20-2011, 12:48 PM
His footwork is miles ahead of where it was earlier this season. I will say this too: he doesn't throw off his back foot without pressure. That drives me nuts with some quarterbacks.

vandammage13
12-20-2011, 12:53 PM

Rex would be proud....

Have you tried www.mywifeshotfeet.com yet?

catfish
12-20-2011, 12:58 PM
far from a QB expert so I will ask, is the problems Tebow has rolling right with accuracy because he cant set his feet right to throw? A lefthander rolling right would have the throwing arm on the wrong side to set and throw right?

MOtorboat
12-20-2011, 01:09 PM
far from a QB expert so I will ask, is the problems Tebow has rolling right with accuracy because he cant set his feet right to throw? A lefthander rolling right would have the throwing arm on the wrong side to set and throw right?

I'm no quarterback expert, but I imagine the mechanics are pretty similar to a pitcher, and if he was pitching, he's stepping sideways and opening up during his delivery...

Dapper Dan
12-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Did you see D.Thomas' footwork on his throw? Sheesh. That was bad.

catfish
12-20-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm no quarterback expert, but I imagine the mechanics are pretty similar to a pitcher, and if he was pitching, he's stepping sideways and opening up during his delivery...

when he is in the pocket I would agree...I was thinking about a roll out right. If he is on the move to the right I am not sure it is possible to plant and throw...I tried it rolling left since I am right handed and couldn't figure a way to quickly set and throw

NightTerror218
12-20-2011, 01:21 PM
His footwork is miles ahead of where it was earlier this season. I will say this too: he doesn't throw off his back foot without pressure. That drives me nuts with some quarterbacks.

With Tebow you can always tell because his back foot comes WAY off the ground. I laughed when they mirrored Tim and showed his warm up release and Brady right next to each other. One thing you can tell is the speed different in the release.

NightTerror218
12-20-2011, 01:22 PM
when he is in the pocket I would agree...I was thinking about a roll out right. If he is on the move to the right I am not sure it is possible to plant and throw...I tried it rolling left since I am right handed and couldn't figure a way to quickly set and throw

You would literally have to stop and reset.

catfish
12-20-2011, 01:29 PM
You would literally have to stop and reset.

thats what I figured, I think I saw that part of Chicagos game plan was to only let him roll right....probably saw that he is less accurate without his feet set and were going to force him off balance. Thanks for the info on that...needed sanity check

MOtorboat
12-20-2011, 01:32 PM

Every quarterback has that problem. When people talk about his footwork, it's usually in terms of drop backs and rhythm throws.

Davii
12-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Momma said alligators is angry because they have all them teeth and no tooth brush.

But I agree with pops. If he can improve his footwork his accuracy will also improve, and I feel he has been doing so every week.

catfish
12-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Every quarterback has that problem. When people talk about his footwork, it's usually in terms of drop backs and rhythm throws.

I agree, wasn't trying to argue for or against just saw that it was part of Chicagos plan and had been wondering why....really not even part of the footwork conversation just thought maybe there was something I didn't know...sorry for sidetracking the thread

catfish
12-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Momma said alligators is angry because they have all them teeth and no tooth brush.

But I agree with pops. If he can improve his footwork his accuracy will also improve, and I feel he has been doing so every week.

the month of December is head and shoulders above Oct and Nov stat wise....don't look now but we are quickly approaching average at the qb position ;)

NightTerror218
12-20-2011, 02:49 PM
I agree, wasn't trying to argue for or against just saw that it was part of Chicagos plan and had been wondering why....really not even part of the footwork conversation just thought maybe there was something I didn't know...sorry for sidetracking the thread

If you watch TT he really tries to avoid rolling to right and tends to spin around and run into defenders or go wide around them.

NightTerror218
12-20-2011, 02:51 PM
the month of December is head and shoulders above Oct and Nov stat wise....don't look now but we are quickly approaching average at the qb position ;)

except in TO category. ;)

BroncoNut
12-20-2011, 03:04 PM

that's why you don't have an NFL contract. Because you suck

NightTerror218
12-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Who's feet are worse TT in pocket or Moreno in the backfield?

catfish
12-20-2011, 03:06 PM
that's why you don't have an NFL contract. Because you suck

doesn't matter going to collect enough cash for Kiper to make me a first rounder

rcsodak
12-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Did you see D.Thomas' footwork on his throw? Sheesh. That was bad.
But they said he was throwing perfect spirals in practice. ;')

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

catfish
12-20-2011, 03:48 PM

he has great intangibles! :)

hotcarl
12-20-2011, 04:26 PM
tebow has happy feet but i think clady's sweet feet make up for it. also bunkley has sweaty smelly feet.

Schnauzers
12-20-2011, 04:42 PM

I heard that a left handed qb rolling right and a right handed qb rolling left needs to square up their shoulders down field. I've been watching the qb's in college and pro's that are good at it and that's how they throw the ball. I'm not sure how that relates to footwork cause I haven't paid much attention to that , but plan to in the future.

Jsteve01
12-20-2011, 05:31 PM
I heard that a left handed qb rolling right and a right handed qb rolling left needs to square up their shoulders down field. I've been watching the qb's in college and pro's that are good at it and that's how they throw the ball. I'm not sure how that relates to footwork cause I haven't paid much attention to that , but plan to in the future.

Schnauzers welcome im in GJ as well. And you're exactly right. You need to square your shoulders. That all starts with your hips and feet.

Ravage!!!
12-20-2011, 05:38 PM
"If he gets his feet settled down, the accuracy problems go away." I agree with this completely. Give this kid an offseason of focusing completely on footwork, forget about messing with his throwing motion and I think you've got a kid that can be right around 60% next year. If that happens then watch out.

People have said the same thing about many QBs for many many years. They've said the same thing about Tebow since his sophmore year in college. So its more than just "fixing his feet." I mean, its not just that simple.

Plus, I think its much more than that. Peyton has some of the worst moving feet in the NFL, but is dead accurate. Rivers doesn't have great feet. While Flacco has pretty damned good feet (even though being so damned tall).

True, Brady and Brees are great in their mechanics and it shows. Vick and Young are both running QBs and they never were able to be "pocket QBs".... but not all because of the feet when they throw. Its that abilit to maneuver that pocket, and work WITHIN the pocket, that makes or breaks the passing from there.

Right now, Tim is really bad within the pocket. I agree that he could just need time, but at the same time....thats not simply a "this is all he has to do" type of thing. :beer:

Ravage!!!
12-20-2011, 05:41 PM

You have to square the hips to the LoS and actualll, basically, be running towards the LoS as/beofre you throw while moving. Its much hard to do when moving to the direction that puts your throwing arm to the LoS side, because you have to move your hips and shoulders all the way around, as though twisting in the opposite direction that you are running. THEN.... the hard part with the feet...because you have to be able to move your feet so that you are still throwing FROM the correct foot as you release the ball, as if you were standing still and stepping into the pass. Thats why you will see the QBs stutter step right before they throw, so that they can get the timing down with their upper and lower body, stepping through the pass while on the move, instead of throwing with the wrong foot forward.

Davii
12-20-2011, 06:52 PM

That's not what I heard. I heard he beached it in practice just like in the game.

karnage
12-20-2011, 07:22 PM
he has great intangibles! :)

and that is what's going to fix his foot work more than practice....he just needs to draw ears on them with a Sharpie, and play his NCAA championship halftime speech for them....if that doesn't get them in line nothing will

catfish
12-20-2011, 07:28 PM
and that is what's going to fix his foot work more than practice....he just needs to draw ears on them with a Sharpie, and play his NCAA championship halftime speech for them....if that doesn't get them in line nothing will

DT gave a half time speech?

bcbronc
12-20-2011, 08:46 PM
That's not what I heard. I heard he beached it in practice just like in the game.

Sure was an ugly throw, but DT does deserve some credit, a lot of WRs on that play just throw it up into the double team down field. Not really sure the play design needs to include a check-down option...think I'd rather just see the WR tuck it and run rather than start going through progressions. :lol:

GridironFalcon
12-21-2011, 12:08 PM
Tebow just continues to improve. Wish you guys luck with the rest of the season. Tebow is a fun player to watch, and one of my favorite players even though I am a Falcons fan :)