PDA

View Full Version : Cutler learning all he can from Mannings

Denver Native (Carol)
02-06-2009, 11:23 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/05/cutler-learning-all-he-can-from-mannings/

Cutler learning all he can from Mannings
Pro Bowl allows quarterback to see others at work

Sure, there are plenty of beaches, plenty of sun, plenty of time to enjoy the wind-swept waves of the Pacific Ocean.

And sure, Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler has had plenty of places to go on the picture-book island of Oahu, but he also had people to see on his first Pro Bowl trip.

Cutler said he has spent much of the week making the rounds of the veteran quarterbacks in the NFL's All-Star game in search of answers to his many questions, especially Peyton Manning.

"You just want to get along with the guys, go with the flow," Cutler said Thursday night by phone. "I came with an open mind. I didn't know what Peyton was going to be like, the guys who've been to six, seven, eight of these, you just don't know how it all goes down.

"But I've been trying to hang around Peyton as much as possible. I didn't really know him because I've only been around him a few times. But this is his ninth one, they kind of call him the mayor down here he's been here so many times. So I've just been kind of watching how he prepares, how he works. He's a great dude."

Manning, a nine-time Pro Bowl selection in his 11 seasons, is the gold standard in the league today as far as breaking down defenses and knowing exactly what he wants to do in almost every given situation.

And with Cutler already having given himself a mandate this offseason to power the Broncos offense to more points next season and do it with fewer turnovers, he's found Manning a more than willing resource.

"My contact with him has been very limited in my first three years (in the NFL), but people have always spoken so highly of him," Cutler said. "So, you know, you kind of get in these situations and you wonder how much he'll talk about what he does. But I ask him questions, he's asked me some things about the system we used to run, kind of go back and forth.

"Basically, he's answered any questions I've had for him. A lot of general things, and we've gotten into some specifics about certain routes and how to go about things day to day."

Cutler said he's also sought out Saints quarterback Drew Brees, who led the league in passing this season, as well as Giants quarterback Eli Manning because the two "run a similar system to what (Broncos coach) Josh (McDaniels) is going to run."

To that end, Cutler will return to Denver after Sunday's game to meet with McDaniels for three days, he said, as the two begin the process of getting Cutler up to speed in the team's new playbook.

The two have spoken by phone, but next week will be the first extensive face-to-face work. Broncos players will gather next month for the first time since McDaniels' hiring.

McDaniels said last week he planned to have his first team meeting next month as well.

"And I don't want to walk in there in March and not know anything," Cutler said. "So I'm going to get in there so we can just get to know each other and look at the system, maybe dinner, maybe lunch, but there's a lot of trust that has to be in our relationship and I want to start it sooner rather than later."

In Sunday's game, with Manning getting the start, Cutler said he has deferred to the Titans' Kerry Collins and Cutler will be the third quarterback into the game for the AFC and is looking to play some in the third quarter and into the fourth.

"Get in, get out, no picks, no turnovers," Cutler said. "I'm not trying to do anything flashy. I was going to be two, but I told Kerry since he's older than me, been around a lot longer than me, take two and I'm going to be three."

Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall and center Casey Wiegmann are also participating in the game.

Wiegmann, who just finished his 13th season, is making his first Pro Bowl appearance.

"It's been great for all of us, especially Brandon," Cutler said. "For Brandon to see the other guys, see how (Colts receiver) Reggie Wayne and Peyton interact with each other . . . We're all learning and people have plenty to show you."

omac
02-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Nice article, Carol. :salute:

Cutler said he's also sought out Saints quarterback Drew Brees, who led the league in passing this season, as well as Giants quarterback Eli Manning because the two "run a similar system to what (Broncos coach) Josh (McDaniels) is going to run."

"And I don't want to walk in there in March and not know anything," Cutler said. "So I'm going to get in there so we can just get to know each other and look at the system, maybe dinner, maybe lunch, but there's a lot of trust that has to be in our relationship and I want to start it sooner rather than later."

Good to know he wants to learn McDaniel's system and build that coach-QB relationship sooner rather than later. I think we all expected that from Cutler. :cheers:

WARHORSE
02-06-2009, 11:43 AM
I like it. Respect for others goes a long way in this league.

Im also glad to hear him say that if Phillip Rivers were there, that hes sure they would get along. Its the offseason and everyone can sit back and enjoy a cold one together.

Giving Kerry Collins the second start over himself yanked my respect level up five full notches for Cutler.

Glad to see them all having fun.

As for me............Im going to Waikiki with my boys to see if we can run into the Broncos.......

broncobryce
02-06-2009, 12:43 PM
I think Cutler wants to be in the game at the end. (not that he doesn't respect Collins)
It would be awesome if he can engineer the game winning drive.

TXBRONC
02-06-2009, 12:47 PM
I like it. Respect for others goes a long way in this league.

Im also glad to hear him say that if Phillip Rivers were there, that hes sure they would get along. Its the offseason and everyone can sit back and enjoy a cold one together.

Giving Kerry Collins the second start over himself yanked my respect level up five full notches for Cutler.

Glad to see them all having fun.

As for me............Im going to Waikiki with my boys to see if we can run into the Broncos.......

It shows class as well as maturity.

dogfish
02-06-2009, 12:59 PM
lazy, immature bum! quit sulking on the sidelines and go get a haircut!

:coffee::coffee::coffee:

Dean
02-06-2009, 05:04 PM
lazy, immature bum! quick sulking on the sidelines and go get a haircut!

:coffee::coffee::coffee:

Why waste the money??? These are hard times, Dog.

He surely has a bowl around somewhere that he can use as a template to trim around. It will look just as good as when it was professionally cut last time. ;)

Overtime
02-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Cutler, just a word of advice...learn all you can from Peyton, but make sure you forget everything you can from Eli (his Super Bowl was a fluke) and honestly so is his career. Only reason that chump is an NFL QB is because of his daddy's good name.

Shazam!
02-06-2009, 10:53 PM
The 2007 NYG were not a fluke my friend. Eli will never be his brother, but he's ok.

BroncoWave
02-06-2009, 10:58 PM
The 07 Giants were CARRIED by that defense. Cutler has nothing to learn from Eli Manning IMO. He should just stick to Peyton and Brees while he's down there.

Shazam!
02-06-2009, 11:05 PM
The Giants probably would have been in the Super Bowl if it wasn't for Plexiglass Burress' stupidity. The NY offense was never the same without him.

Some gush love for the Prince of Mediocrity, Jake Plummer, but Eli Manning is a bum? Gimme a break. He'll never be his brother, but c'mon.

Bad Intentions
02-06-2009, 11:37 PM

Music to my ears!!! Everytime I hear Jay say something like this it makes me realize that he is maturing before our eyes. I sat with him last year after camp and while we talked I thought to myself that he was hot/cold in terms of showing his maturity. Sometimes he would come across as a mature leader and other times he would come across as a 'dik'.

I hope we bring in more guys like Eddie Royal and Quick (Alridge). I sat and talked with those guys a few times last year too. They were a little more guarded b/c they were rookies but Quick and I had some hometown ties and knew some of the same people in the 'game' down south, so we talked and got along well. He is going to make his mark....SOON! He hasn't added too much weight but his speed is up and a healthy camp WILL land him a roster spot. Mark my words, he is a dynamic playmaker and he will fit in GREAT in this offense!

Superchop 7
02-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Spread the field and hand it to "Quick".

Cutler is handling himself well, very nice to see, once again, I tip my cap.

Scarface
02-07-2009, 10:01 AM
The 2007 NYG were not a fluke my friend. Eli will never be his brother, but he's ok.

You got that right. He showed he can be extremely clutch in the playoffs unlike his brother.

Scarface
02-07-2009, 10:06 AM
The 07 Giants were CARRIED by that defense. Cutler has nothing to learn from Eli Manning IMO. He should just stick to Peyton and Brees while he's down there.

So Peyton wasn't carried by his defense the year he won the SB? He threw 3 TDs and 7 Picks during that playoff run. Should he teach Cutler that trick? The trick of looking like a lost puppy while your D and Running Game do all of the heavy lifting. How many times has Peyton lost in the first round of the playoffs in his careeer? It's unbelievable. Give Elway that supporting cast he's had throughout his career and he'd have 3-4 rings by now.

Shazam!
02-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Eli made some clutch plays in the Super Bowl.

Eli made some great plays during this Season.

He has grown into a pretty decent QB.

Once Burress was gone, they were never the same. Their OC Gilbride should have been fired for not developing things differently during the span, and playing so predictable and conservative.

fcspikeit
02-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Cutler, just a word of advice...learn all you can from Peyton, but make sure you forget everything you can from Eli (his Super Bowl was a fluke) and honestly so is his career. Only reason that chump is an NFL QB is because of his daddy's good name.

LOL.. I'm not even going to get into whether I think Eli is a good QB or not...

However, do you guys really think you have to be a great QB to know how a QB is supposed to operate? :laugh:

Shanahan was considered a great QB coach and he couldn't even make it to the NFL... Seriously guys, how many good coaches who teach QB play, weren't half the QB when they played as Eli is?

fcspikeit
02-07-2009, 02:39 PM

Once Burress was gone, they were never the same. Their OC Gilbride should have been fired for not developing things differently during the span, and playing so predictable and conservative.

I didn't watch enough of their games to know for sure but I would hesitate before I put all the blame on Gilbright. Who did they have at WR after Burress shot himself? IMO, there wasn't much to work with... All he can do is coach the players he has, he can't make them all superstars..

omac
02-07-2009, 04:31 PM
I didn't watch enough of their games to know for sure but I would hesitate before I put all the blame on Gilbright. Who did they have at WR after Burress shot himself? IMO, there wasn't much to work with... All he can do is coach the players he has, he can't make them all superstars..

That would be the former superstar Bronco player who we got 2 first round picks with after we franchised him ... Domenik Hixon. :D

BroncoWave
02-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Eli is a good QB with a great defense and running game, and a pro bowl WR. No one called him a bum shazam, I just think that SB has made some people think he is really better than he actually is. And your point about Plax proves my point.

Overtime
02-07-2009, 04:58 PM

amen to that. Eli is a spoiled little brat who rode his dad's and brother's coattails into the NFL.

go back and look at his passes in the Super Bowl (and most every game he plays in), he throws up wounded ducks, he doesn't have nice tight spirals, his mechanics suck, and he's overrated!

his throws are luck and nothing more.

he's Trent Dilfer at best. without his defense, he's nothing.

Peyton Manning didn't have a defense for the longest time, and he's carried his team on his shoulders most of the time, and pulled off some incredible wins.

BroncoWave
02-07-2009, 09:50 PM
amen to that. Eli is a spoiled little brat who rode his dad's and brother's coattails into the NFL.

go back and look at his passes in the Super Bowl (and most every game he plays in), he throws up wounded ducks, he doesn't have nice tight spirals, his mechanics suck, and he's overrated!

his throws are luck and nothing more.

he's Trent Dilfer at best. without his defense, he's nothing.

Peyton Manning didn't have a defense for the longest time, and he's carried his team on his shoulders most of the time, and pulled off some incredible wins.

Exactly. When it comes to pure football talent, it is asinine to mention Eli in the same breath as Peyton.

TXBRONC
02-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Exactly. When it comes to pure football talent, it is asinine to mention Eli in the same breath as Peyton.

I think Eli's physical skill might be a little better than Peyton's but as far understanding the game Peyton is miles ahead of him.

Scarface
02-08-2009, 09:31 AM

Actually NFL GMs and Scouts will say Eli has the better physical tools. Eli can definitely make some throws Peyton can't. If you want to talk pure cerebral football minds though, Peyton trumps most QBs.

omac
02-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Actually NFL GMs and Scouts will say Eli has the better physical tools. Eli can definitely make some throws Peyton can't. If you want to talk pure cerebral football minds though, Peyton trumps most QBs.

Eli has the demeanor to survive the fans in NY; don't know if Peyton could've made it there. Eli's also never thrown any of his teammates under the bus, like Peyton did to his OL during a playoff loss.

(added) I do agree about the football mind; I'm just saying I think Eli actually has a stonger psyche.

BroncoWave
02-08-2009, 12:17 PM

And Ryan Leaf probably had more pure physical talent than either Manning brother. Just goes to show that at QB what you have between the ears is more important than anything.

Shazam!
02-08-2009, 02:32 PM
I never said Eli was great, just that he isn't a bum QB. He'll never be Peyton, Brady, or even Cutler. He's ok and made some plays during their playoff 07 run and in the SB. He played well during their 11-1 run until the Plexiglass debacle.

He's 10x the QB Jake ever was. My point is, some here think Jake set a standard for QB greatness, but Eli sucks? I'd take Eli over Jake any day of the week.

Eli is ok.

omac
02-08-2009, 04:52 PM
I never said Eli was great, just that he isn't a bum QB. He'll never be Peyton, Brady, or even Cutler. He's ok and made some plays during their playoff 07 run and in the SB. He played well during their 11-1 run until the Plexiglass debacle.

He's 10x the QB Jake ever was. My point is, some here think Jake set a standard for QB greatness, but Eli sucks? I'd take Eli over Jake any day of the week.

Eli is ok.

I agree.

I think Eli's pretty good, at least for stretches of games. His problem has more to do with inconsistency, and that's probably affected a lot by the loss of his #1 WR. Jake played pretty good for the Broncos, but I also think Eli's better, and he helped the Giants throughout the playoffs and the superbowl with clutch throws when they needed them. And considering the ridiculously intense scrutiny he's always had from NY fans, he's handled the pressure pretty well.

Scarface
02-10-2009, 09:45 AM
And Ryan Leaf probably had more pure physical talent than either Manning brother. Just goes to show that at QB what you have between the ears is more important than anything.

Changing your argument now. You backed off quick.:confused:

TXBRONC
02-10-2009, 09:54 AM

That's what I said. :D