PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Shining at Pro Bowl

broncofaninfla
02-06-2009, 09:01 AM
HONOLULU — Only the greatest players were invited here, yet even among the upper-crust gathering, Brandon Marshall has stood large.
Much larger than the greats figured, anyway.
"Marshall, I'm looking up at him, and I'm a tight end," Kansas City star Tony Gonzalez said. "He's huge."
"If you can't hit him in stride, something's wrong with you," Peyton Manning said. "He's a big ol' target. He's special."
Manning will be the AFC Pro Bowl starting quarterback and Gonzalez will be his tight end. The Broncos will be represented in the AFC starting lineup Sunday by the 6-foot-4, 230-pound Marshall, who will line up opposite Andre Johnson as the first-string receivers for the game.
For the light, hour-long practices at a nearby high school field, Marshall is lined up across from the Oakland Raiders' sensational cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha.
"I didn't know he was that big," said Asomugha, who plays against Marshall and the Broncos twice a year, "until here and I saw him without pads."
Then again, Marshall has always been big here on the peaceful island of Oahu. He played at Aloha Stadium, site of the Pro Bowl, twice in a 29-day span to finish his senior season at Central Florida. In the Hawaii Bowl on Christmas Eve 2005, Marshall made 11 catches for 210 yards and three touchdowns and was named the game's co-MVP.
Playing in the East-West college all-star Hula Bowl on Jan. 22, 2006, Marshall made five catches for 101 yards and the East's only touchdown in a 10-7 victory. The media again voted him the game's MVP of the game, although the coaches trumped the selection.
"Every time I play against a guy around the league who played in the Hula Bowl, we call ourselves 'Hula Bowl Boys,' " Marshall said.
Back in Denver, Marshall is often the center of attention. Away from the mainland, in this secluded gathering of NFL all-stars, Marshall is often spotted quietly paying attention.
"I'm new to this," Marshall said while flashing what may be the greatest smile in sports. "I'm a rookie. I think it's fun to hear all the stories and see the guys interact with one another. This experience has been better than I thought it would be. I'm out here watching these guys, trying to learn what I can take from them."
Anything pop out from his observations?
"Wes Welker, his route running," Marshall said of the New England slot receiver. "Even in walkthrough, he's always working on something, trying to get better at it, working the corners. He only knows one speed. Everybody else here is at 40, 50. Wes is at 100 percent."
Funny how the biggest receiver becomes infatuated with the smallest AFC player. Maybe it's because people crave what they aren't.
Welker plays a small man's game. He darts and dodges.Marshall plays a big-man's game. He catches and punishes.
"You always hear about Anquan (Boldin) being a tough guy to bring down," said Asomugha, who was widely considered to have supplanted the Broncos' injured Champ Bailey as the NFL's top cornerback this season. "But in my mind, I think Brandon's the toughest guy to bring down, one-on-one."
In 2007, the front end of Marshall's back-to-back 100-catch seasons, he led the NFL with 319 yards after contact. He wasn't nearly as effective after contact in 2008, largely because a strained hip muscle cost him restart speed after shedding a tackler.
"The thing I noticed about him is he tries to make the big play, every play," Asomugha said. "It has to be a big play. And that's a competitor. It makes sense. I have a lot of respect for him."
Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com (mklis@denverpost.com)

CoachChaz
02-06-2009, 09:49 AM
I think the bubble screens and 5 yard out patterns probably led to the decrease in his yac numbers more than the hip

Bronco Bible
02-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Love to hear our guy is making a good impression:coffee:good read

jrelway
02-06-2009, 10:29 AM
man o man..marshall on one side, andre johnson on the other. kinda scary if you ask me. that would be one sick duo.

TXBRONC
02-06-2009, 10:38 AM
man o man..marshall on one side, andre johnson on the other. kinda scary if you ask me. that would be one sick duo.

You aint kidding.

WARHORSE
02-06-2009, 10:57 AM
I think the bubble screens and 5 yard out patterns probably led to the decrease in his yac numbers more than the hip

I honestly dont think so. I personally thought there was something wrong with him before they mentioned his hip.

Reason why, is in 2007 I saw one guy bring him down that was the first one to him. One. Not saying there may have been more, but from my recollection there was one. He didnt have that this year after the Chargers game imo.

Not the same great change of direction for a big man. I think he'll get it back.

LRtagger
02-06-2009, 11:01 AM
I think it had alot to do with the fumblitis as well. After the Chefs game he was timid with the ball.

broncobryce
02-06-2009, 11:36 AM
I hope his hand heals all the way. He said his right hand was numb all season too.

dogfish
02-06-2009, 01:15 PM

that was my first thought too. . . . :shocked:

I think it had alot to do with the fumblitis as well. After the Chefs game he was timid with the ball.

exactly!

Lonestar
02-06-2009, 03:25 PM
lets hope his head does not get so big he wants out of DEN..

HE can be something really special down the road if his ego does not run away with him..

Nomad
02-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Between Cutler and Marshall, there is no star shining amongst BRONCOS players at the probowl. :coffee:

Northman
02-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Sad thing is Peyton had more success with Brandon than Jay did. But they did say he wasnt feeling up to snuff because of his betes.

Lonestar
02-08-2009, 10:11 PM
I had it tivo'd and frankly after watching it was less than impressed with the broncos showings..

for whatever reason not much to be proud of..

manning certainly was the class of the AFC Collins was a total clown.. and Jay got in in garbage time and then threw the boneheaded pick.. Atleast it was not left handed:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: