PDA

View Full Version : The Inevitable Larry Johnson Thread!

Cugel
02-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Well, it was inevitable that someone would start a "let's get Larry Johnson" thread, so I thought I'd just start the ball rolling!

Let's hear your opinions about the Broncos possibly acquiring Larry Johnson!

Larry Johnson wants out of Kansas City (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/04/larry-johnson-wants-out-of-kansas-city/)

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Chiefs running back Larry Johnson says he wants to leave Kansas City.

During an appearance Wednesday on 610 Sports Radio, Johnson said he thinks it's time for him and the Chiefs to "break ties." He says his departure would allow the Chiefs to find "what they want, and I can try to go on and rebuild my career and find what I want."

Chiefs spokesman Bob Moore said there was nothing that came out of the interview that hadn't been talked about before. Johnson said in December he felt he had no future with the Chiefs.

Johnson just completed a season in which he was benched for three games for violating team rules and suspended by the league for a fourth game for violating NFL player conduct rules.

Personally, I'm ambivalent.

1. Larry Johnson would provide a reliable starter at RB thus, making it possible for the Broncos to concentrate on other needs in FA & the draft.

2. LJ is not exactly young, his off-field problems are considerable, and the Chiefs would want something for him in trade. All signs say "slow down." :coffee:

Fan in Exile
02-05-2009, 10:47 AM
He is not a reliable starter, the wheels on his bus have come off. Giving up anything for him would be a total mistake.

claymore
02-05-2009, 10:48 AM
We have enough gang members in Denver.

Northman
02-05-2009, 11:06 AM
I dont really care for Johnson but if we can get him cheap i would take a chance on him.

Requiem / The Dagda
02-05-2009, 11:10 AM
LeSean McCoy.

DallasChief
02-05-2009, 11:12 AM
I vote "Hell yes!".

Trade a first round pick for him.

Cugel
02-05-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm not sure the Chiefs would get all that much for Johnson right now. He's no spring chicken and has had some injury history. Then his off-field troubles aren't exactly a huge bonus feature to other NFL teams!

He might well come cheap!

OTOH, I suspect the Broncos remember another troubled RB named Travis Henry.

OTOH, Travis Henry is dumber than a sack of rocks. Is Larry Johnson equally stupid?

Personally, I'd look at the asking price and if it wasn't more than about a 6th round draft pick I'd seriously think about it. He has some skills if healthy.

EDIT: Looking at his situation more carefully, he certainly isn't underpaid!

Johnson and the Chiefs' agreed to a five-year contract extension that locks Johnson with the Chiefs through the 2012 season.[7] As a result of this extension, Johnson is now the highest-paid running back in the NFL based on average salary per year. His new contract covers six years and will pay him $45 million, with $19 million in guaranteed money - the biggest contract in Chiefs history.

After a season with players like Andre Hall & Ryan Torain who hit the IR if a leaf blows into them Johnson doesn't seem so "injury prone."

His "simple assault" charge (his 3rd such charge) is not as serious as many in the NFL (he didn't get caught with an "Original Whizzinator" like WR Onterio Smith, or run over a meter-maid like Randy Moss, get accused of rape, or wave their pistol around in traffic like a fool. In short, compared with many in the NFL it's small potatoes. But, it is recurrent!

broncofaninfla
02-05-2009, 11:28 AM
He is on the downside of his career and seems to be making bad decisions off of the field at a time when he should be older and wiser. I say no dice.

MOtorboat
02-05-2009, 11:29 AM
No. Hell No.

Marshall + Johnson + LoDo = Bad, Bad, Bad. :tsk:

jrelway
02-05-2009, 11:31 AM
if LJ came cheap, then yes. he's a good power runner. he does whine and cry alot but look at the chiefs offense last year. They were in shotgun most of the time running larry out of the draw with no fullback to block for him. i say dont waste any early picks on him. trade some of our scrubs for him and only if he comes cheap.

Thnikkaman
02-05-2009, 12:02 PM
No. He doesn't want to be here. He wants to be a Cowboy or play on the East coast to "Be close to family".

We don't want him.

Superchop 7
02-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Bad idea.

Ziggy
02-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Something tells me the new regime is going to rid themselves of locker room cancers, rather than add them.

TXBRONC
02-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Something tells me that Ziggy is right. :salute:

Ziggy
02-05-2009, 01:29 PM
........waits for the inevitable Edgerrin James thread, a much better choice that wouldn't cost the Broncos any picks after the Cards cut him soon.

girler
02-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Didn't Dan Reeves already do that with Tony Dorsett?

TXBRONC
02-05-2009, 02:26 PM
........waits for the inevitable Edgerrin James thread, a much better choice that wouldn't cost the Broncos any picks after the Cards cut him soon.

I don't Zig he's even older and has more wear and tear on his body. However, I can't say I have ever heard that he was locker room cancer and also you are probably right that he wouldn't be as expensive.

Lonestar
02-05-2009, 02:44 PM
I really do not understand why everyone seems to think we need a stud RB.. If Mc Kids recent history comes into play the likely hood of having the need for another 1200+ yard RB is slim and NONE.. They did RBBC and between the top 2 RBs in NE the top guy got 850 and the next one got 700 or so.. combining for about 1500 yards..

We have Jay, Eddie, Brandon, Brandon, Scheffler, Graham, Hillis all as great receivers.. How much do Y'all really think we are gonna run the ball except occasionally and to help kill the clock late in the game..

I will say it again mikey is gone and the likely hood of us being a run first team is out the window..

The new guy will run enough to keep the defense honest and off balance..

Time to tattoo that to the inside of your eyelids..

dogfish
02-05-2009, 03:00 PM
I vote "Hell yes!".

Trade a first round pick for him.

we'll give you a 7th and a signed elway jersey. . . .

TXBRONC
02-05-2009, 03:21 PM

:rofl:

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
02-05-2009, 03:23 PM
I dont want to give the Chiefs anything for him, itll come back to bite us

MOtorboat
02-05-2009, 03:26 PM

Make it a Neil Smith jersey and I guarantee its a deal.

TXBRONC
02-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Make it a Neil Smith jersey and I guarantee its a deal.

Don't forget a pack of breath right nasal stips will be needed as well.

fcspikeit
02-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Hell no!!

He wouldn't respect McDaniels enough to play hard for him because he isn't black.

He takes no accountability!
He thinks he's entitled to get what ever he wants!
He is dumber then a box of rocks!

He honestly thought he should get to start over Holmes after Holmes ran for 2,000 the year before, then he had the audacity to say Vermiel didn't start him because he was black.. I guess he thought Holmes was white? :confused:

I don't want that racist anywhere near this team!

Benetto
02-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Keep him out of Colorado, unless you want your females slapped around like cavemen wives.

Poet
02-05-2009, 04:53 PM

Larry Johnson healthy and a decent line=1800 yards. He is probably still one of the most talented RBs ever. He has a lot more speed than people give him credit for.

That being said he is a cancer and a loud mouth. The trade would never happen because he actually does have value. Why would you want to trade picks for a position that you don't need. Why would they want to give up nothing for a player of his caliber?

TXBRONC
02-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Larry Johnson healthy and a decent line=1800 yards. He is probably still one of the most talented RBs ever. He has a lot more speed than people give him credit for.

That being said he is a cancer and a loud mouth. The trade would never happen because he actually does have value. Why would you want to trade picks for a position that you don't need. Why would they want to give up nothing for a player of his caliber?

He's talented but I wouldn't quite that far. The line he had in front of him had awful lot to do with his success.

Poet
02-05-2009, 05:03 PM
He's talented but I wouldn't quite that far. The line he had in front of him had awful lot to do with his success.

Any time any back puts up big numbers his line had a lot to do with it. You have a great offensive line, you would be in that same situation IMO.

TXBRONC
02-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Any time any back puts up big numbers his line had a lot to do with it. You have a great offensive line, you would be in that same situation IMO.

Walter Payton put big numbers year after year without a very good offensive line in front of him, as did Barry Sanders.

Slick
02-05-2009, 05:21 PM
I like LJ as a football player, but I voted no. Our coach is the wrong race. Larry wouldn't run hard for him.

Poet
02-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Walter Payton put big numbers year after year without a very good offensive line in front of him, as did Barry Sanders.

First off that would be all of TWO instances. Which in the grand scheme of things is close to being irrelevant. Second off, and I know this will get the damn thread sidetracked, but Sanders had a better offensive line than most people would ever admit. People exaggerate how great he was because he was classy and stuck in Detroit.

LJ is a beast. He is a proven beast when he has a good line. You have a good line. Barring injury he would be a beast.

He would not be worth it because you can produce with damn near any back and for the other obvious reasons.

warcrychief
02-05-2009, 10:05 PM
The Chiefs wouldnt go for it. Unless you sold everything you had then maybe, MAYBE, it would be considered. When was the last time the Chiefs traded anyone inside the division anyways.

Gamechanger
02-05-2009, 10:15 PM

Edge would be very lethal behind that ZB O-Line, even after his injury in Indy he's shown he still can pound the rock, he was very misused in Arizona when Whisenhunt wanted to be pass happy

if Indy doesn't pick him up again, then i'd love to see Edge wearing orange & blue

Shazam!
02-06-2009, 02:47 AM

THAT is a much better scenario. NO to Lj.

I could see Shanny maybe doing it if he was still here, but I think the days of risky high paid FAs (if he were cut) are gone thank GOODNESS.

omac
02-06-2009, 04:40 AM
If we're thinking of getting a RB who has some years in him, I'd rather we find a way to get Chester Taylor. He's never been injury prone, he doesn't have a lot of mileage in his tires, and the one season he finally got to start, he had some really good output. Even as a backup, his numbers have been pretty good.

Adding to that, I think he's a model citizen, and heavily underutilized in Minnesota. He's a back who can get 3 to 6 yards rushing here and there, and is good at catching the ball. Sounds like a RB we could use, even in Doogie's new system.

http://www.vikingvigil.com/2009/01/chester-taylor-unappreciated-and-underutilized/

Ziggy
02-06-2009, 09:17 AM
The Chiefs wouldnt go for it. Unless you sold everything you had then maybe, MAYBE, it would be considered. When was the last time the Chiefs traded anyone inside the division anyways.

Very few, if any, teams are going to trade for LJ with his current salary....and Denver isn't one of them.

TXBRONC
02-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Very few, if any, teams are going to trade for LJ with his current salary....and Denver isn't one of them.

His salary and what it will cost in terms of draft picks.

WARHORSE
02-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Not sayin we will, but if it were me, and the price were right................a third rounder MAX........I would bring him in.

Even if I only got a single year out of him Id try it.

If we're winning........hes happy.

And we would win imo.

Larry Johnson is a GREAT cutback runner. He has everything you need except elite speed. With our Oline, and threat of the pass, he would DOMINATE imo.

He can catch out of the backfield with the best of them. He can mow you down. He can outrun you. He can carry the load. And he can punish a secondary all day.

Winning makes everyone a good guy.

Even Larry.

(I know there are dangers with him......Im just saying Id personally do it myself if it were my call)

He would lead the league in rushing.

omac
02-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Not sayin we will, but if it were me, and the price were right................a third rounder MAX........I would bring him in.

Even if I only got a single year out of him Id try it.

If we're winning........hes happy.

And we would win imo.

Larry Johnson is a GREAT cutback runner. He has everything you need except elite speed. With our Oline, and threat of the pass, he would DOMINATE imo.

He can catch out of the backfield with the best of them. He can mow you down. He can outrun you. He can carry the load. And he can punish a secondary all day.

Winning makes everyone a good guy.

Even Larry.

(I know there are dangers with him......Im just saying Id personally do it myself if it were my call)

He would lead the league in rushing.

You sound pretty confident that he's got enough of the old LJ in him; I don't know ... he didn't look that dangerous this season ....

WARHORSE
02-06-2009, 11:14 AM
You sound pretty confident that he's got enough of the old LJ in him; I don't know ... he didn't look that dangerous this season ....

Not hard to do with no offensive line and no threat of passing.

DallasChief
02-06-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't know what Larry Johnson you watch but he's a terrible receiver out of the backfield and an even worse blocker.

If the Chiefs could get a third rounder from the Broncos for him, I think I'd have a fuggin party.

TXBRONC
02-06-2009, 12:41 PM
I don't know what Larry Johnson you watch but he's a terrible receiver out of the backfield and an even worse blocker.

If the Chiefs could get a third rounder from the Broncos for him, I think I'd have a fuggin party.

I've heard on occasion that LJ isn't a very good in receiver and pass blocker.

CoachChaz
02-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Pass blocking, receiving = Peyton Hillis

Rushing for 1500 yards = Larry Johnson

Lonestar
02-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Pass blocking, receiving = Peyton Hillis

Rushing for 1500 yards = Larry Johnson

do Y'all really think Mc Kid is in the market for stud buffalo?

I do not see the need considering the NE past history.. many years of having a couple 700-800 yard rushers..

Mc mikey is not here anymore.. thus having a stable of Rb's and run first is GONE..

DallasChief
02-06-2009, 01:25 PM
I've heard on occasion that LJ isn't a very good in receiver and pass blocker.

On occasion? No, he's always a terrible pass blocker. On occasion, he can catch a screen pass and pick up a few yards.

broncofaninfla
02-06-2009, 01:37 PM
what are the chances LJ gets a suspension this year? Why would we want another disgruntled can't stay out of trouble type on the team. I think we need to keep adding people with good character on the team instead of the LJ's and Travis Henrys of the league.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-06-2009, 05:44 PM
no

next question

Bozo Jr.
02-06-2009, 06:19 PM
That's a No. A no, no, and no.

WARHORSE
02-06-2009, 07:52 PM

Yeah, I guess so. I look at his stats and then...........wham! My mind doesnt say 'terrible reciever'.

As well, when youre a grumpy F.U. type, youre blocking will tend to slack.

Im speakin for myself.

Besides..............he goes from KC to the Broncos???

Thats like goin from a tent on a beach to The Mirage.

Thats enough to help Larry Block.

Its called gratitude............:coffee:

:D:D

WARHORSE
02-06-2009, 07:54 PM

:laugh::laugh:

Good one.:tsk:

warcrychief
02-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Not hard to do with no offensive line and no threat of passing.

The past few years he was dancing behind the O-line. He is still a great threat. He just needs to run past the O-line and get in to the secondary and mow them down.

WARHORSE
02-06-2009, 07:57 PM

Well, lets look at it this way:

Pooter Peterson is GONE.

Pooter Pioli is HERE.

You gotta at least HOPE hes gonna bring in players that want to be there right?

As for me, I wouldnt mind a RB with a big red CHIP on his shoulder, sticking out the window of his limo.

warcrychief
02-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Well, lets look at it this way:

Pooter Peterson is GONE.

Pooter Pioli is HERE.

You gotta at least HOPE hes gonna bring in players that want to be there right?

As for me, I wouldnt mind a RB with a big red CHIP on his shoulder, sticking out the window of his limo.

Pioli isnt just going to give him away to a division rival. But maybe to some team on the NFC side for the right price.

WARHORSE
02-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Pioli isnt just going to give him away to a division rival. But maybe to some team on the NFC side for the right price.

Why would they want him.

No chip.

No deal.

:cool:

Dont forget you traded Dale Carter to us.

I know what yer thinking........:D

Overtime
02-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Well, it was inevitable that someone would start a "let's get Larry Johnson" thread, so I thought I'd just start the ball rolling!

Let's hear your opinions about the Broncos possibly acquiring Larry Johnson!

Personally, I'm ambivalent.

1. Larry Johnson would provide a reliable starter at RB thus, making it possible for the Broncos to concentrate on other needs in FA & the draft.

2. LJ is not exactly young, his off-field problems are considerable, and the Chiefs would want something for him in trade. All signs say "slow down." :coffee:

have to disagree on point #2. his limited use the previous couple years is gonna leave him pretty fresh, healthy, and durable for a guy his age.

he's primed for a mid-career run, and he'll be a healthy addition to any team looking to make a playoff run this year.

I say get him, use him and if he doesn't pan out, dump him like a bad habit. but I'd think he should accel in our zone blocking scheme.

it's a gamble, but I think it's a good one.

DallasChief
02-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Will the Broncos continue the zone blocking now that Shanahan is gone?

Overtime
02-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Will the Broncos continue the zone blocking now that Shanahan is gone?

from what I understand yes, as they retained the O-Line coach, and the RB's coach, but the WR's coach is gone.

Cugel
02-07-2009, 01:27 PM
On occasion? No, he's always a terrible pass blocker. On occasion, he can catch a screen pass and pick up a few yards.

That could be the biggest reason he stays out of Denver! Pass-protection is a HUGE part of Denver's RBs. They all have to be able to pass-block because McKid is going to throw the ball a LOT. And to to that you need to be able to pass-block when you're not running the ball.

LJ's motto:
http://www.t-shirthumor.com/Merchant2/graphics/fullsize/disg_lg.gif

TXBRONC
02-07-2009, 04:09 PM
That could be the biggest reason he stays out of Denver! Pass-protection is a HUGE part of Denver's RBs. They all have to be able to pass-block because McKid is going to throw the ball a LOT. And to to that you need to be able to pass-block when you're not running the ball.

LJ's motto:
http://www.t-shirthumor.com/Merchant2/graphics/fullsize/disg_lg.gif

There is a problem with the picture you posted. He's not black.

BANJOPICKER1
02-08-2009, 03:52 PM
If we got him cheap and I mean cheap, he will be a good back for the next few years and I see nothing worng with the pick up.:beer:

GOOOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!!!:D