PDA

View Full Version : Jay gets initiated in Hawaii...with the help of a Charger

Northman
02-05-2009, 10:13 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11630573

HONOLULU — In front of Jay Cutler was the clear-blue but chilly-watered swimming pool at the Ihilani resort.

The gang of Pro Bowl football players had been gathered around the tables, swapping stories, when suddenly the Broncos' quarterback had 300-pound Nick Mangold pushing from one side, 310-pound Kris Dielman holding the other and his cellphone swindled into the hands of a coy Peyton Manning.

Cutler's radar had gone up, but he never had a chance.

Splash!

"We gave him a Pro Bowl baptism," said Dielman, the star offensive guard of the rival San Diego Chargers.

Great fun. Big laughs. There was just one problem. Cutler is a Type 1 diabetic, and in his pocket was his blood-sugar monitor.

"That was a prank where
Pro Bowl

* Find preview, matchup, scoring log, rosters, voting, stats, past MVPs and more for the NFL all-star game Feb. 8 in Hawaii.
* View slide show of Pro Bowl.

I thought we were smart enough to get the cellphone out of his pocket," Dielman said. "But then, 'Oops.' "

The monitor was fried by the chlorinated water. Fortunately, Hawaii has drug stores, and after a few calls here and there, Cutler was well-equipped by lunchtime Wednesday.

"It was a bad audible on our part," Manning said. "I think we were thinking right, trying to get the cellphone. Then we realize, the guy gets insulin shots. We missed that."

Here in the island of warm breezes, soft sand and chilled lagoons, Cutler has been making friends. It's just that football friendships tend to include a few more hijinks than, say, relationships forged in a corporate office on the mainland.

After his Tuesday night dunking, Cutler had returned to the scene for Wednesday afternoon lunch.

"It's been great," Cutler said, his back to the Pacific Ocean and the warm sun. "All the guys have been good. Working with Peyton has been fun. Just to see what he does day to day, how he goes about it. He's such a professional."

No sooner had Cutler complimented Manning than guess who strode through the pool area, greeting guests at a table across the deck? Make no mistake, Peyton Manning knows how to work the room.

"He's the mayor here," Cutler said.

This is Cutler's first Pro Bowl appearance, which is one more than expected for a quarterback who has been starting for only two full seasons. He has made a favorable impression here, and not just poolside. During the first quarterback meeting with the Baltimore Ravens' and AFC coaching staff, the playing time rotation was revealed. Manning would start, Cutler would play next and veteran Kerry Collins would take a few series in the second half.

Coach John Harbaugh had even said Cutler would get most of the reps.

Cutler said hold on, here. Collins is 36, a 14-year NFL veteran invited to only his second Pro Bowl. Cutler insisted Collins play ahead of him.

"I thought it was a real nice gesture on his part," Collins said. "And I said to him, 'You were voted ahead of me and you should go.' And he said, 'No, no.' It was respectful, and I really appreciated it. I've enjoyed getting to know him. He's definitely a good guy to hang with."

At lunch Wednesday, Dielman pulled up a chair at Cutler's poolside table. Mr. Charger and Mr. Bronco. Aren't these guys supposed to dislike each other?

"He's like a lot of us, (we) play it up a little bit," Cutler said. "I wasn't sure how he was going to be because he's Philip's boy, but he's been great."

As the football nation knows, Cutler and Chargers' quarterback Philip Rivers don't like each other. It must be the island.

"We're all out here in Hawaii having a good time," Dielman said. "We'll deal with that during the season. Jay's a good dude. Philip's a good dude. They're two competitors. That's what happens when you have two competitors going at each other."

Collins is here because Brett Favre first alternate Rivers passed on the trip. The way it has gone this week, Cutler and Rivers probably would have gotten along fine.

"I think we probably would have," Cutler said. "It's hard not to get along with people down here in this environment."

For the sake of the Broncos-Chargers rivalry, perhaps it was better Rivers isn't here.

Northman
02-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Im glad Jay is taking some time to learn from guys like Manning. And his respect to Collins was top notch. Guess he's not as evil as some people make him out to be. lmao

TXBRONC
02-05-2009, 10:18 AM

HONOLULU — This is Cutler's first Pro Bowl appearance, which is one more than expected for a quarterback who has been starting for only two full seasons. He has made a favorable impression here, and not just poolside. During the first quarterback meeting with the Baltimore Ravens' and AFC coaching staff, the playing time rotation was revealed. Manning would start, Cutler would play next and veteran Kerry Collins would take a few series in the second half.

Cutler said hold on, here. Collins is 36, a 14-year NFL veteran invited to only his second Pro Bowl. Cutler insisted Collins play ahead of him.

"I thought it was a real nice gesture on his part," Collins said. "And I said to him, 'You were voted ahead of me and you should go.' And he said, 'No, no.' It was respectful, and I really appreciated it. I've enjoyed getting to know him. He's definitely a good guy to hang with."

At lunch Wednesday, Dielman pulled up a chair at Cutler's poolside table. Mr. Charger and Mr. Bronco. Aren't these guys supposed to dislike each other?

"He's like a lot of us, (we) play it up a little bit," Cutler said. "I wasn't sure how he was going to be because he's Philip's boy, but he's been great."

As the football nation knows, Cutler and Chargers' quarterback Philip Rivers don't like each other. It must be the island.

"We're all out here in Hawaii having a good time," Dielman said. "We'll deal with that during the season. Jay's a good dude. Philip's a good dude. They're two competitors. That's what happens when you have two competitors going at each other."

Collins is here because Brett Favre first alternate Rivers passed on the trip. The way it has gone this week, Cutler and Rivers probably would have gotten along fine.

"I think we probably would have," Cutler said. "It's hard not to get along with people down here in this environment."

For the sake of the Broncos-Chargers rivalry, perhaps it was better Rivers isn't here.

This part in my opinion speaks volumes about Cutler's maturity.

NightTrainLayne
02-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Can someone make sure that hack that wrote the story the other day comparing Cutler to Jeff George gets a copy of this story?

Maybe we should start an e-mail campaign to flood their e-mail with copies of this story. .. who was that hack again?

TXBRONC
02-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Can someone make sure that hack that wrote the story the other day comparing Cutler to Jeff George gets a copy of this story?

Maybe we should start an e-mail campaign to flood their e-mail with copies of this story. .. who was that hack again?

His name is Terry Frei.

Fan in Exile
02-05-2009, 10:42 AM
And his e-mail is tfrei@denverpost.com

I just e-mailed it to him, it was kind of fun, give it a try.

NightTrainLayne
02-05-2009, 10:46 AM
And his e-mail is tfrei@denverpost.com

E-mail sent.

jrelway
02-05-2009, 11:38 AM
what a stand up thing to say when he wanted kerry collins to go before him since he was a vet. hanging with the vets is nothing but good for jay.

Superchop 7
02-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Cutler on Peyton Manning "He's the mayor here"

That's exactly the point......in the public eye Peyton is acting like a politician running for mayor. Says the right things, playfull, funny, doesn't step on many toes. (Well, maybe a liqoured up idiot kicker)

For Jay, treating his position like your running for mayor is a great lesson to learn.

Sure would have been nice to have Rivers see it..........couldn't think of anyone that needs the lesson more.

Ziggy
02-05-2009, 01:14 PM
The funny thing is, I just read Cutler's blog on another thread, and he talks about getting pushed into the pool. He never mentions the insulin pump dillemma, just that he was pranked, pushed into the pool, and that it was fun. I'm impressed.

TXBRONC
02-05-2009, 01:46 PM
The funny thing is, I just read Cutler's blog on another thread, and he talks about getting pushed into the pool. Funny thing is that he never mentions the insulin pump dillemma, just that he was pranked, pushed into the pool, and that it was fun. I'm impressed.

I'm glad Jay is enjoying the moment and is using it as oporturnity to gleen information from Manning.

dogfish
02-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Im glad Jay is taking some time to learn from guys like Manning. And his respect to Collins was top notch. Guess he's not as evil as some people make him out to be. lmao

This part in my opinion speaks volumes about Cutler's maturity.

i don't buy it. . . he's an immature primadona jerk. . . . :coffee:

fcspikeit
02-05-2009, 03:34 PM
i don't buy it. . . he's an immature primadona jerk. . . . :coffee:

Yeah, he probably only wanted Collins to go first so he would get the easier defenders to play against... That or he is so bitter he didn't want a Charger snapping him the ball ;)

LRtagger
02-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Maybe if he got a haircut he would be starting. :coffee:

TXBRONC
02-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Maybe if he got a haircut he would be starting. :coffee:

You know that just might be the reason he isn't starting. ;)

Magnificent Seven
02-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Nice

omac
02-05-2009, 07:07 PM

All is going swimmingly for QB, pranks for asking
First-time Pro Bowler Jay Cutler likes the company — even that of a Charger.
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

HONOLULU — In front of Jay Cutler was the clear-blue but chilly-watered swimming pool at the Ihilani resort.

The gang of Pro Bowl football players had been gathered around the tables, swapping stories, when suddenly the Broncos' quarterback had 300-pound Nick Mangold pushing from one side, 310-pound Kris Dielman holding the other and his cellphone swindled into the hands of a coy Peyton Manning.

Cutler's radar had gone up, but he never had a chance.

Splash!

"We gave him a Pro Bowl baptism," said Dielman, the star offensive guard of the rival San Diego Chargers.

Great fun. Big laughs. There was just one problem. Cutler is a Type 1 diabetic, and in his pocket was his blood-sugar monitor.

"That was a prank where I thought we were smart enough to get the cellphone out of his pocket," Dielman said. "But then, 'Oops.' "

The monitor was fried by the chlorinated water. Fortunately, Hawaii has drug stores, and after a few calls here and there, Cutler was well-equipped by lunchtime Wednesday.

"It was a bad audible on our part," Manning said. "I think we were thinking right, trying to get the cellphone. Then we realize, the guy gets insulin shots. We missed that."

Here in the island of warm breezes, soft sand and chilled lagoons, Cutler has been making friends. It's just that football friendships tend to include a few more hijinks than, say, relationships forged in a corporate office on the mainland.

After his Tuesday night dunking, Cutler had returned to the scene for Wednesday afternoon lunch.

"It's been great," Cutler said, his back to the Pacific Ocean and the warm sun. "All the guys have been good. Working with Peyton has been fun. Just to see what he does day to day, how he goes about it. He's such a professional."

No sooner had Cutler complimented Manning than guess who strode through the pool area, greeting guests at a table across the deck? Make no mistake, Peyton Manning knows how to work the room.

"He's the mayor here," Cutler said.

This is Cutler's first Pro Bowl appearance, which is one more than expected for a quarterback who has been starting for only two full seasons. He has made a favorable impression here, and not just poolside. During the first quarterback meeting with the Baltimore Ravens' and AFC coaching staff, the playing time rotation was revealed. Manning would start, Cutler would play next and veteran Kerry Collins would take a few series in the second half.

omac
02-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Oops, sorry, it wasn't posted yet while I was posting it. :D

Watchthemiddle
02-05-2009, 07:42 PM
:coffee::coffee:

TXBRONC
02-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Oops, sorry, it wasn't posted yet while I was posting it. :D

No big deal dude. :beer: