PDA

View Full Version : He Really Isn't McKid

TXBRONC
02-05-2009, 09:49 AM
In one of the other threads it was commented on that something that everyone who has talked with say is that he has a lot of energy. I suppose that it could be taken negatively that he's "cheerleader like" but I think what it means is the guy is intense and that even though he is the second youngest coach in the League he will be given a chance by the veterans to prove what he can do.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11631016

pro bowl briefs
Broncos center says young McDaniels not acting his age
Posted: 02/05/2009 12:30:00 AM MST

HONOLULU — Josh McDaniels may be old, but he's not that old.

Among Broncos players, only center Casey Wiegmann, 35, and running back Michael Pittman, 33, are older than the Broncos' 32-year-old new head coach. Broncos center Tom Nalen, 37, is expected to retire.

Wiegmann said he has never played for a coach younger than him but was impressed after meeting McDaniels last week in Denver.

"It won't be a big deal because when he was talking to me, he was acting older than he really is," Wiegmann said. "He looks really young. But he's got a good plan. I've been around a lot of coaching changes, and they all say pretty much the same stuff. Until you see it put to work on the field, that's when you're going to really tell the difference."

Wiegmann indicated he may retire if the Broncos don't give him a boost from the veteran minimum $845,000 salary he is due in 2009. Wiegmann is hoping his agent, Joe Linta, can work out a new deal with the Broncos during the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis later this month.

"Based on our conversations with them, I would be surprised if they didn't want to sit down at the combine," Linta said.

Gonzalez on Sharpe.

Kansas City tight end Tony Gonzalez was perturbed at the notion he may have hindered his friend Shannon Sharpe from getting elected Saturday into the Pro Football Hall of Fame by breaking all his records.

Sharpe held the tight-end records with 815 catches, 10,060 yards and 62 touchdowns until Gonzalez started assailing those marks over the past two seasons. Gonzalez arrives here at the Pro Bowl with 916 receptions, 10,940 yards and 76 touchdowns — and counting.

"Shannon set the standard; that's who I was always trying to beat," Gonzalez said. "I think it was a travesty he didn't get in. Shannon's a friend of mine, but even unbiased, when you have a guy who's the leader in every statistic at his position, and you have three Super Bowl rings, it's ridiculous. Maybe Shannon won't say it, but I'll say it for him."

It also bothered Gonzalez that Sharpe was considered as much receiver as tight end by some members of the Hall selection committee.

"That's typical of the tight-end position," Gonzalez said. "People overlook it. You have to block for the running back and we have to go catch the ball in receiving situations. To me, that makes the tight end the workhorse on the team. Yet, it's the second-lowest paid position on the team."

Indeed, according to the NFL players union, only kickers make less, on average, than tight ends. Gonzalez is projected to make $5.03 million in 2009, which would make him the league's highest-paid tight end. The average of the top 10 offensive linemen is $7.74 million.

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

Northman
02-05-2009, 10:06 AM
As long as he shows more emotion and want on the field i dont care. One of my biggest gripes about Shanny is that it looked like he just didnt ultimately care. Now, im sure he did but i would like to see a Coach rip into guys when they arent doing what they are supposed to and throw his fist in the air when they do great. This team sorely needs some energy and want back in it.

TXBRONC
02-05-2009, 10:09 AM
As long as he shows more emotion and want on the field i dont care. One of my biggest gripes about Shanny is that it looked like he just didnt ultimately care. Now, im sure he did but i would like to see a Coach rip into guys when they arent doing what they are supposed to and throw his fist in the air when they do great. This team sorely needs some energy and want back in it.

I have no problem with it either way. At this point I think it's more important that the players buy into his plan. If they do that and are committed to it I do believe things could turn around in a hurry.

tomjonesrocks
02-05-2009, 03:44 PM

I have no idea which Shanahan you were watching. He celebrated TDs and often looked like he was going to blow a gasket out there when things went bad. To say he had an emotionless demeanor is just completely inaccurate IMO.

fcspikeit
02-05-2009, 03:54 PM
I have no idea which Shanahan you were watching. He celebrated TDs and often looked like he was going to blow a gasket out there when things went bad. To say he had an emotionless demeanor is just completely inaccurate IMO.

If the stare counts he was full of emotion..:lol: I thought he could have been a bit more vocal too..

NightTrainLayne
02-05-2009, 04:15 PM
I can certainly remember Shanny showing some "fire" after Plummer or Griese came off the field a few times when they had made mistakes.

Lonestar
02-05-2009, 05:28 PM
I can certainly remember Shanny showing some "fire" after Plummer or Griese came off the field a few times when they had made mistakes.

Perhaps but how many "positive" butt slaps do you remember seeing.. While I did not like cheerleader Cowher perhaps he was what we needed to motivate players.. it is a game afterall.. not a chess board..

NightTrainLayne
02-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Perhaps but how many "positive" butt slaps do you remember seeing.. While I did not like cheerleader Cowher perhaps he was what we needed to motivate players.. it is a game afterall.. not a chess board..

I really do think that aspect is over-rated in the NFL. It's part of the job, but these guys are the best of the best, the elite athletes. .. they don't really need a rah rah guy to get them going. . .or if they do, they're the wrong ones.

TXBRONC
02-05-2009, 05:35 PM

Did you read the opening post? The thread is about McDaniels not Shanahan, don't hijack with your hatred of Shanahan.

Lonestar
02-05-2009, 05:40 PM
I really do think that aspect is over-rated in the NFL. It's part of the job, but these guys are the best of the best, the elite athletes. .. they don't really need a rah rah guy to get them going. . .or if they do, they're the wrong ones.

I never liked Cowher called him cheerleader put him in skirt and pom poms on more than one occasion, for that reason because I thought the same way.. His players really played for him..

But then we see what happened in DEN with Mc Stare..

I think regardless of how elite someone is supposed to be their is emotions after a good/bad play that need to be addressed by more than a look..

How many times have we all seen the emotions in the locker room after a game and games balls are being given out..

I think that was a point that mikey never excelled at..

TXBRONC
02-05-2009, 05:42 PM
I never liked Cowher called him cheerleader put him in skirt and pom poms on more than one occasion, for that reason because I thought the same way.. His players really played for him..

But then we see what happened in DEN with Mc Stare..

I think regardless of how elite someone is supposed to be their is emotions after a good/bad play that need to be addressed by more than a look..

How many times have we all seen the emotions in the locker room after a game and games balls are being given out..

I think that was a point that mikey never excelled at..

Knock it off Jr this isn't about Shanahan.

Lonestar
02-05-2009, 05:46 PM
this went off Mc Kid to mikey in post number TWO..

TXBRONC
02-05-2009, 06:03 PM
As much as possible I hope we can get this back on McDaniels, because unfortunately this can deteriorate with some people.

fcspikeit
02-05-2009, 06:27 PM
I thought the article was more about Sharp not making the hall then it was about McDaniels...

But yeah, I hope Josh shows more emotion then we are accustomed to..

Lonestar
02-05-2009, 06:42 PM
I was surprise to hear about TG comments about Sharpe not getting into the HOF.. I kind of suspected that with him breaking all of Sharpe's records this past year or so that it might derail Shannon getting the nod.. Afterall He was a Bronco but I really thought his saving grace would be the third Ring he got playing in Baltimore.

A real shame..

omac
02-05-2009, 06:54 PM
I like what someone on ESPN or NFL netwoks said about players buying in to McDaniels. He said that players initially will buy into what he says, but eventually, it will be about whether it works in actual games.

When we let Coyer go, players showed some enthusiasm for Bates' scheme, though they did mention they were still trying to adjust to it. They also showed great support for Slowik's scheme. They bought into it. In the actual games, though, when both schemes were decimated by opposing offenses, then we'd start to hear the grumblings.

On the defensive side, the pressure is much less for McDaniels. He's an offensive coach who hired a defensive coach to fix one of the worst defenses in the league. It's tough to see the defense not showing improvement.

On the offensive side, he'll be under much more pressure. Overall, our offense was ranked 2nd in the league, and that was with 7 RBs on IR at the end of the season. Whenever we had Pittman, Torain, or Hillis, our redzone was pretty good too. All that seemed to be needed on offense was just much more balance with the rushing.

McDaniels comes in, players will buy into his scheme while having some difficulty adjusting to it and the terminology. While the last 2 seasons, the offense had to carry the defense; now, the defense might have to help out a lot while the offense struggles in the early games. Unfortunately, the defense has problems of their own.

Cassel filled in for Brady quite well, but he was entrenched in his offensive system since 2005, a lot like Rodgers was with the Packers, so the QB transition was smooth.

We easily have the talent to run the NE offense, but how many games will it take for it to be 2nd nature? Having Jay, Brandon(s), Eddie, and Tony is an advantage, because all of them have great work ethic, even in the offseason, but I'll expect our offense to take a couple steps back before making huge leaps forward. I just hope Nolan's new defense can do their part too.

TXBRONC
02-05-2009, 08:22 PM
I like what someone on ESPN or NFL netwoks said about players buying in to McDaniels. He said that players initially will buy into what he says, but eventually, it will be about whether it works in actual games.

When we let Coyer go, players showed some enthusiasm for Bates' scheme, though they did mention they were still trying to adjust to it. They also showed great support for Slowik's scheme. They bought into it. In the actual games, though, when both schemes were decimated by opposing offenses, then we'd start to hear the grumblings.

On the defensive side, the pressure is much less for McDaniels. He's an offensive coach who hired a defensive coach to fix one of the worst defenses in the league. It's tough to see the defense not showing improvement.

On the offensive side, he'll be under much more pressure. Overall, our offense was ranked 2nd in the league, and that was with 7 RBs on IR at the end of the season. Whenever we had Pittman, Torain, or Hillis, our redzone was pretty good too. All that seemed to be needed on offense was just much more balance with the rushing.

McDaniels comes in, players will buy into his scheme while having some difficulty adjusting to it and the terminology. While the last 2 seasons, the offense had to carry the defense; now, the defense might have to help out a lot while the offense struggles in the early games. Unfortunately, the defense has problems of their own.

Cassel filled in for Brady quite well, but he was entrenched in his offensive system since 2005, a lot like Rodgers was with the Packers, so the QB transition was smooth.

We easily have the talent to run the NE offense, but how many games will it take for it to be 2nd nature? Having Jay, Brandon(s), Eddie, and Tony is an advantage, because all of them have great work ethic, even in the offseason, but I'll expect our offense to take a couple steps back before making huge leaps forward. I just hope Nolan's new defense can do their part too.

Really this defense couldn't get any worse.

EastCoastBronco
02-05-2009, 08:35 PM
All I know is that for the first time in 5 years, I am looking forward to the next season with a true sense of optimism. A change was needed. We got it. Let's embrace it....

omac
02-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Really this defense couldn't get any worse.

Isn't that what we thought last season too? :D

Well, hopefully it will be at least as effective as Coyer's within the 2nd quarter of next season. If it can get better than that, it's a plus. :beer:

TXBRONC
02-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Isn't that what we thought last season too? :D

Well, hopefully it will be at least as effective as Coyer's within the 2nd quarter of next season. If it can get better than that, it's a plus. :beer:

Bite your tongue. :lol:

Nolan comes with pretty solid reputation. Now the Goodmans can find him quality personnel to run his defense we should be able to field a solid defense.

tomjonesrocks
02-05-2009, 09:44 PM

Oh please...I'd have rather had Cowher than McDaniels as well--but c'mon...

omac
02-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Bite your tongue. :lol:

Nolan comes with pretty solid reputation. Now the Goodmans can find him quality personnel to run his defense we should be able to field a solid defense.

Yeah, I keep hearing articles about how Doogie's gonna bring an explosive offense here, which is cool, but I'd really much rather hear about how Nolan plans to fix our problems at defense. So far, not much has been said or written about this, and this was the biggest source of our woes the last 2 seasons.

broncohead
02-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I keep hearing articles about how Doogie's gonna bring an explosive offense here, which is cool, but I'd really much rather hear about how Nolan plans to fix our problems at defense. So far, not much has been said or written about this, and this was the biggest source of our woes the last 2 seasons.

You really expect Nolan to show the league his plans to fix the defense? There will be something after the draft.

Simple Jaded
02-05-2009, 10:24 PM
He's not "McKid".......he's "Doogie".

Btw, Doogie has absolutely nothing to worry about, if the Offense struggles Cutler will take the blame, plain and simple.......you know damn good and well that I'm right.

If Cutler takes the blame for the Defense sucking Ass, of course he's taking the blame for the Offense as well, only this time you hypocrites might actually have a point.......savor that moment, it'll be fleeting, trust me.......

Lonestar
02-05-2009, 11:23 PM

I also suspect we will not hear much until they have signed some FA talent IF they do.. They just may gut it out with the talent they have (considering Pats reluctance last year and how even that blew up) sign more UDFA and draft like mad and teach the scheme and techniques to what we have..

I'm guessing the less said before going after said FA the better, as to not drive the price up any farther than they have to..

I have a feeling that we have some talent hidden on D that slowish and group could not either motivate or teach or mot likely the scheme was so bad even a Peppers type would have failed at it..

omac
02-05-2009, 11:37 PM
He's not "McKid".......he's "Doogie".

Btw, Doogie has absolutely nothing to worry about, if the Offense struggles Cutler will take the blame, plain and simple.......you know damn good and well that I'm right.

If Cutler takes the blame for the Defense sucking Ass, of course he's taking the blame for the Offense as well, only this time you hypocrites might actually have a point.......savor that moment, it'll be fleeting, trust me.......

Don't worry, the offense won't suck. Cutler and company are too good for that to happen. It probably won't initially be the same instinctive connection he currently has with his receivers, but it will get there. But of course, it will be primarily because of Doogie that Cutler suddenly becomes this excellent QB, because he's sucked so much while Shanny was here. :rolleyes: :D

Lonestar
02-05-2009, 11:41 PM
Don't worry, the offense won't suck. Cutler and company are too good for that to happen. It probably won't initially be the same instinctive connection he currently has with his receivers, but it will get there. But of course, it will be primarily because of Doogie that Cutler suddenly becomes this excellent QB, because he's sucked so much while Shanny was here. :rolleyes: :D

I'm guessing that the routes will pretty much be the same and the timing will not be lost. From what I have heard all I suspect is changing is the terminology for numerology.. Yes that will take a while to translate in their minds but most routes are pretty standard..

omac
02-06-2009, 12:10 AM
I'm guessing that the routes will pretty much be the same and the timing will not be lost. From what I have heard all I suspect is changing is the terminology for numerology.. Yes that will take a while to translate in their minds but most routes are pretty standard..

Terminology will be a big factor, and though general plays are similar, there will be differences. It's the same reason the Jets looked for plays in the offense that were similar to what Favre had been doing his whole career at GB, but it still took him a while to adjust. They'll be fine, though. :cheers:

Lonestar
02-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Terminology will be a big factor, and though general plays are similar, there will be differences. It's the same reason the Jets looked for plays in the offense that were similar to what Favre had been doing his whole career at GB, but it still took him a while to adjust. They'll be fine, though. :cheers:

Of course there are subtle changes in the exactness of the route run..

But in Brett's case I think it more of getting the timing down with new receivers and all of them know what the others will do in a given circumstance was more why they did not click right away..

I think the O will be fine considering there should be NO changes in personnel Except for perhaps RB and then it will probably be one of the 84 we had go through there last year..

Then it should take a bit of time introducing themselves to everyone again.. should have that down by TC is half done.. IF tuten can keep them healthy..

omac
02-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Of course there are subtle changes in the exactness of the route run..

But in Brett's case I think it more of getting the timing down with new receivers and all of them know what the others will do in a given circumstance was more why they did not click right away..

I think the O will be fine considering there should be NO changes in personnel Except for perhaps RB and then it will probably be one of the 84 we had go through there last year..

Then it should take a bit of time introducing themselves to everyone again.. should have that down by TC is half done.. IF tuten can keep them healthy..

Here's hoping that happens that soon. Why is Tuten still here? :D

TXBRONC
02-06-2009, 08:32 AM

Right it's probably a lot easier to talk about the offense because it doesn't need nearly as much work as the defense. And I would guess that we haven't heard a lot about the defense because all the work that is has go into evaluating the current talent on the team.

Ziggy
02-06-2009, 09:00 AM
The offense has a ton of talent. While it will take some adjustments, that's all it'll take. The defense is severely lacking in talent and will be adjusting to new schemes and terminology. As of right now, there is no QB of the defense, no vocal leader out there to pull it all together. We may also have 3 or more rookies starting on D, and up to 7 or 8 new starters altogether on that side of the ball. Right now, Nolan and the D are in a canoe trying to get upstream without a paddle. We'll see how much help they get in FA and the draft, but that's going to be a long, uphill battle.

TXBRONC
02-06-2009, 09:18 AM
The offense has a ton of talent. While it will take some adjustments, that's all it'll take. The defense is severely lacking in talent and will be adjusting to new schemes and terminology. As of right now, there is no QB of the defense, no vocal leader out there to pull it all together. We may also have 3 or more rookies starting on D, and up to 7 or 8 new starters altogether on that side of the ball. Right now, Nolan and the D are in a canoe trying to get upstream without a paddle. We'll see how much help they get in FA and the draft, but that's going to be a long, uphill battle.

I agree, and think that is a reason we're not hearing a lot about the defense right now. Whether the base defense is 4-3 or 3-4 or even a hybrid they still having to start from scratch.

Lonestar
02-06-2009, 02:01 PM

I suspect there will be a 2-3 year transition to 3-4 as they get the players to plug into it.. I do not think that all of the players we had last year were indeed trash many maybe be salvaged to become spot players and backups but I truly believe the total lack of coaching and scheme left them totally lost in the desert so to speak..

We lost Al Wilson who if nothing else was a leader and QB of the front seven.. and then the next year lost John Lynch the QB of the DB's ans as much as I like Champ trying to call the DB defense from a corner is not wise.. plus he has rarely shown demonstrative side of his personality on the field.. a quiet guy that flat gets the job done.. and frankly folks if the rest of the backfield suck why would a competent QB throw in his direction..

on the field leadership has lacked the past 2-3 years..

broncofaninfla
02-06-2009, 02:07 PM
I agree, and think that is a reason we're not hearing a lot about the defense right now. Whether the base defense is 4-3 or 3-4 or even a hybrid they still having to start from scratch.

I agree. Being we have to rehaul the defense anyway we might as well go with what Nolan is best at.