PDA

View Full Version : Interesting DP Article on Foxs Record Setting Seasons

Joel
12-17-2011, 01:28 AM
Reading through it I couldn't help wondering if Fox knows HOW to blow out ANYONE:
http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_19559342

Fox is the first coach in NFL history to lead two teams to at least three overtime victories in single seasons....

Fox's 2003 Carolina Panthers played four overtime games in the regular season, winning three, then played another in the postseason, beating the Rams in double overtime. Those Cardiac Cats were the only team in NFL history to win four overtime games in a season.
Think about it: The '03 Panthers went to the SB, lost to the Pats by a single FG, and STILL played 4 OT games, one of them a DOUBLE OT game against the Rams. How can an 11-5 team that came within a FG of beating a dynasty in the SB be tied with FOUR different teams at the end of regulation? Did refusing a handful of calculated high reward risks at opportune times prevent them being a 13-3 Champion?

One thing I do know: This Sunday John Fox, the only man in history to coach two different teams to 3+ OT wins in one season, faces Belichick and the Patriots again. If he plays Martyball all day we've already lost.

The line started at 4.5, then quickly went to 7: http://boston.sbnation.com/new-england-patriots/2011/12/16/2640306/nfl-odds-lines-spread-week-15/in/2395154

TimHippo
12-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Reading through it I couldn't help wondering if Fox knows HOW to blow out ANYONE:
http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_19559342

Think about it: The '03 Panthers went to the SB, lost to the Pats by a single FG, and STILL played 4 OT games, one of them a DOUBLE OT game against the Rams. How can an 11-5 team that came within a FG of beating a dynasty in the SB be tied with FOUR different teams at the end of regulation? Did refusing a handful of calculated high reward risks at opportune times prevent them being a 13-3 Champion?

One thing I do know: This Sunday John Fox, the only man in history to coach two different teams to 3+ OT wins in one season, faces Belichick and the Patriots again. If he plays Martyball all day we've already lost.

The line started at 4.5, then quickly went to 7: http://boston.sbnation.com/new-england-patriots/2011/12/16/2640306/nfl-odds-lines-spread-week-15/in/2395154

Well he plays a ball control, field position, take the points (field goal), let the defense create the opportunities game.

This is the same formula that Bill Parcells used with the Giants, and Patriots and which Ditka used with the Bears.

There was a good article on it a couple days ago. It's the same formula that Harbaugh is using in San Francisco. (Mike Singletary had the same philosophy but for some reason couldn't execute it)

Joel
12-17-2011, 02:02 AM
Parcells knew to go for the kill shot when it was 1) there and/or 2) necessary. I love Ditka to death, but had he gone for the jugular a little more perhaps he wouldn't be 1-2 in Conference Championships (let's face it, winning the NFC Central in the '80s was almost as much a given for his Bears as winning the West was for Walshs '9ers.) Still and so, the '85 Bears blew teams out routinely, and so did Parcells' championship teams in NY.

I get how hard nosed heavy run, smash mouth D wins games, but only exceptionally good teams can beat every team that way. Sooner or later you'll run into a team that forces you to score lots of points, so you better know how to do it, even against a defence as good as yours. Foxs teams, well, the last time he won a game by 3 TDs was a couple days after Christmas '09, and before that you have to go back to '05.

ALWAYS play good D, and WHEN YOU CAN, win with long running drives that prevent turnovers and keep their offense off the field. But don't forget a vital part of winning games running is, and has been since the '40s (or longer,) "running to establish the pass." Run, run run till they load the box--then whip the ball downfield for a 50 yd TD with a good chance it'll be open and a low chance it'll be picked. Half the advantage of running is NOT running when it's expected; fail to do that and you just stumble into their nine man front, then punt so they can heave another bomb at your end zone. Smart money says a good team will outscore you like that.

sneakers
12-17-2011, 02:22 AM
DP article?

Had me thinking about something waaaay grosser than the Denver Post.

Dzone
12-17-2011, 02:23 AM
Thats right. Run run run...pound it...then unload a bomb. Never knowing when.. D Thomas will not miss the next time and will score. Thomas' ability to cut and move lateral has been astounding considering his injury 10 months ago.
Expect Decker to start playing like he did before his girlfriend played mile high. Hes been shaky ever since.
The next phase of the Tebow project will be unleashed. Continuous improvement. He is starting to see the field better. Having that ability to stay Constantly moving until he finds the right target. Like shooting ducks at the state fair. After a while you get pretty good at it. Guys have been getting open and NE may not be able to stop the onslaught.

Dzone
12-17-2011, 02:25 AM
DP article?

Dog poop?

sneakers
12-17-2011, 02:27 AM
Dog poop?

Dingo Puppy

http://holbrookaustraliayear.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/cutest_dingo_pups_ever1.jpg

Joel
12-17-2011, 05:03 AM
DP article?

What have I told you about hanging out in Kenosha?! :yuck: Why do you think they call the Packers "cheese heads." ;)

sneakers
12-17-2011, 09:39 PM
What have I told you about hanging out in Kenosha?! :yuck: Why do you think they call the Packers "cheese heads." ;)

Kenosha sucks

pikkiwoki
12-17-2011, 10:25 PM
More on this subject/Foxball:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_4988_Breaking_in_a_Bronco%3A_Tebow_Saddled_More _than_Elway.html

Joel
12-18-2011, 09:18 PM
More on this subject/Foxball:

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_4988_Breaking_in_a_Bronco%3A_Tebow_Saddled_More _than_Elway.html
VERY interesting, indeed; I've always found it interesting that we ran a LOT more under Shanny than Reeves but no one ever complained because we won Super Bowls. The stats in the article, both by season and BY QUARTER, further indicate we actually PASSED LESS late in games when Reeves was coaching, however much Elway or anyone complained to the contrary. Food for thought even if many consider it heretical. It's certainly ironic to think that Fox is actually doing to Tebow what Reeves was (apparently falsely) accused of doing to Elway, and doing it with Elways blessing.

In the larger discussion, I really do prefer playing run oriented offense and stingy D as the optimal approach WHEN POSSIBLE. However, it is NOT possible when facing 1) a great run D that shuts down your running offense and/or 2) a great offense that takes a big lead slicing up YOUR D. The Bears and Jets games are good examples of the former case; our running game never really did much, and if stingy D kept us in those games, airing it out won them at the end.

We saw the latter example tonight: The Pats never really found an answer for our running game, but we never really found one for their passing game either. Once they had a three score lead, their inability to stop our run no longer mattered (though our inability to stop their passing remained relevant all game.) Down 18 points in the second half we no longer had the luxury of time for a 9:00 scoring drive, even if it ended in a TD (not that it stopped Fox trying as late as the start of the fourth quarter.) Three turnovers and poor blocking after the first quarter didn't help either, but our 0 interceptions were a non-factor.

Tonights game was embarrassing, because of porous pass defence, turnovers and poor blocking in the final three quarters (which directly contributed to at least one of those turnovers.) However, the good news was that Tebow was fairly accurate and, when the pass rush didn't force him to just throw the ball away, the receivers, especially Thomas, did a good job catching it. It's hard for me to recall a single outright drop all night. So the moral seems to be: ALWAYS play good D, and run when you can, but don't be afraid to air it out when if you NEED to and/or the odds of big plays are favorable while the odds of bad plays are minimal.