PDA

View Full Version : Trent Dilfer Analysis of Tim Tebow

BroncoWave
12-17-2011, 01:15 AM
He sent out these tweets today, pretty good analysis actually.

-Final thoughts this week after watching EVERY TT snap this year. A lot to unpack here, but I will try to keep brief

-TT has shown MASSIVE improvement the last two games (MIN & Chi). Seeing it better, footwork, stroke, rhythm & accuracy.

-Obvious by watching tape that he will have more open receivers than most because the threat of his DESIGNED runs & option

-This unique O puts D in HUGE conflict! It breaks rules, creates 1 on 1 tackling situations, & spreads secondaries thin.

-Bronco's empty package(no backs),creates the most conflict for D, TT ability to be a power runner creates open rec in pass

-EVERY empty formation pass play they have run as atleast 1 open rec, many times WIDE OPEN!

-Vs. Bears TT had 5 dropped passes past 1st down marker, 4 drives they punted the other one was at the end of the half

-Playing tight man accentuates the passing challenges, but exposes the D to the option game.Option FB runs D out of man cov

-Initially I didn't think this type of offense was sustainable, but w/TT dramatic improvements & conflict I see D in,I pause

-The key that allows him to not be as "pure" a passer & still have success is the DESIGNED runs.He must stay healthy 4 this

-It goes w/out saying he needs to continue to make significant improvements,but based on what I've seen in 11 starts,he will

-ONLY 11 STARTS, yet I & so many others forgot to see him through that lens.This will continue to be a fascinating study

-An offseason of working on the RIGHT stuff & increasing his FB IQ will have a tremendous impact on his game.

-For u simple minds out there, mobile QB's & this QB who dictates looks w/designed runs are two TOTALLY different things!

www.twitter.com/tdespn

TimHippo
12-17-2011, 01:26 AM
Just admit that you were wrong, Dilfer.

Bullgator
12-17-2011, 01:42 AM
I have literally written all of this, here, on this very board before.

Dzone
12-17-2011, 01:48 AM
Great read. Thanks.

Bronco4ever
12-17-2011, 01:50 AM

I'm pretty sure he has admitted this on air in the last couple days. For someone who has been one of Tebow's harshest critics early on, Dilfer has been very humble and diligent in giving Tebow his due. He's been much better than others. *cough cough*

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6933/450x364algmerrillhoge.jpg

WARHORSE
12-17-2011, 04:44 AM
Yeah, Dilfer was painting Tebow just like everyone else.

Sorry Dilfer, but you sucked as a QB.....how can you understand anything?

;)

catfish
12-17-2011, 09:16 AM
I'll give Dilfer his props for manning up and eating his crow. ESPN was doing a segment on total QBR and showed clips from Tim Hasselbeck and Trent Dilfer in 2 games where they managed to score a 0.0. Trent's words were I told you I am qualified to speak about poor QB play, thought it was pretty funny

TXBRONC
12-17-2011, 09:37 AM

He came a lot closer to admitting he was wrong compared Hoge.

HORSEPOWER 56
12-17-2011, 10:31 AM
It is nice to see objectivity. Bayless and Paige are blinded by the good, and most others are blinded by the bad due to some deep-seeded bad feelings toward Tebow for some reason.

The biggest and most important thing Dilfer talked about was the 11 games. So many guys overlook that important tidbit and compare him to other "elite" QBs. Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Phillip Rivers, et al weren't who they are now after 11 games. Perspective when grading Tim, or any young player means everything.

It's completely different when you see a guy with great physical talent but obvious flaws in his game, attitude, or technique but doesn't/won't work to correct them. Sure, rip away on them. Right now, that can't be said about our young QB.

Dzone
12-17-2011, 11:48 AM
haha Hoge still doesnt know how to tie a tie. Look at that thing. Looks like a Bozo tie

Davii
12-17-2011, 11:54 AM
haha Hoge still doesnt know how to tie a tie. Look at that thing. Looks like a Bozo tie

And he's had a LOT more than 11 games to learn!

Ravage!!!
12-17-2011, 11:56 AM
I think Dilfer is caving into the pressure from the fans that throw out insults if you say something negative about him. I don't really believe he's changed his core belief, and is simply trying to easy the backlash by being more "politically correct" in his statements.

tomjonesrocks
12-17-2011, 01:26 PM
After the Chicago game on Countdown Dilfer (and Jackson) were beside themselves with wonderment. Dilfer even had some insinuations of a higher power lending a helping hand "something bigger is at work here", etc. He may have been a skeptic early on but says he's "enjoying watching" this unfold right now.

He also shined TT's knob over the postgame press conference (which was indeed textbook). What a role model for kids, etc., etc.

Huge blowhard though as others have mentioned considering he was a unquestionably average-to-below-average QB in the NFL.

Not a bad "celebrity" golfer, though...

tebowtime5502
12-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Trent Dilfer, a possessional QB, had the audacity to doubt Tebow once, and once was once too much.

I don't dislike the man and I hope he endures great success, but he is a nerd and doesn't understand a damn thing about being an alpha male.

Tim Tebow is the alpha male.

Nomad
12-17-2011, 01:38 PM
Dilfer knows what's it like to ride on the shirttails of a great defense and lack the skills. Never been a fan of the guy regardless of what he thinks of Tebow especially as an analysts.

Ravage!!!
12-17-2011, 01:38 PM
who cares what his QBing skills were in the NFL?? How many of the great coaches were great players... or QBs? You telling me those guys can't evaluate talent because they didn't play?

If being a HoF QB is the prerequisite of judging QBs, then I guess I can see why Elway being skeptical of Tebow has hurt so many. Seems no one can have a knowledgeable opinion, unless they were a GREAT player.

Funny, considering every one of us is giving opinions about Dilfer, when none of us have been great players.

Northman
12-17-2011, 01:52 PM
I dont have a problem with Dilfer giving his opinion on Tebow. Same with Hoge although i do think he is a complete joke. But, its them already writing Tebow off after just a few games that i cant take seriously and unfortuantely when you want people to buy into your assessment it takes a serious hit with credibility. No Qb is a godsend whether its mechanics or whatever after just a few games including players from Akili Smith to John Elway. At the end of the day you either have "it" or you dont. Will Teebs last? I dont know but im not about to claim him a failure just because he doesnt throw for 300 yds a game or go 40/40 on any given Sunday. If your an analysist and want to critique a player on what he wants to improve upon ok, fine. But some of these dolts who claim he will never succeed are just being naive and moronic including our very own Stinky. A few games a QB does not make one way or the other.

Nomad
12-17-2011, 02:01 PM
And in the same breath, these same analysts have said it takes or could take years for the QB to develop. BTW, Brohm was head and shoulders above Rodgers at one time in their eyes. One day I will find this crystal ball of foreseeing the future and be able to talk in absolutes.

I'm all for the player proving it on the field and given some time to do so. Am I sold on Tebow....not sure yet, but he has promise and hope he does succeed and becomes the FQB of the Denver BRONCOS.

tebowtime5502
12-17-2011, 02:03 PM
who cares what his QBing skills were in the NFL?? How many of the great coaches were great players... or QBs? You telling me those guys can't evaluate talent because they didn't play?

If being a HoF QB is the prerequisite of judging QBs, then I guess I can see why Elway being skeptical of Tebow has hurt so many. Seems no one can have a knowledgeable opinion, unless they were a GREAT player.

Funny, considering every one of us is giving opinions about Dilfer, when none of us have been great players.

I'm a better QB than Dilfer and I have no doubt about it.

Nomad
12-17-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm a better QB than Dilfer and I have no doubt about it.

I bet you and Uncle Rico would get along fine.

Northman
12-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Uncle Rico is a legend. He can throw over the rocky mountains. GOAT

Dzone
12-17-2011, 02:20 PM
check out Flacco whining about Tebow...haha
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/38194/flacco-grumbles-about-tebow-coverage

Nomad
12-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Uncle Rico is a legend. He can throw over the rocky mountains. GOAT

http://movieclips.com/qV2M-napoleon-dynamite-movie-uncle-rico-could-have-gone-pro/

:lol:

tebowtime5502
12-17-2011, 02:26 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/38194/flacco-grumbles-about-tebow-coverage

Baltimore was a one hit wonder. Better to have that than nothing, though.

Flacco has zero hits.

Flacco will never have a hit.

The D isn't good enough to hide him.

Tebow's own organization tried to hide Tebow and couldn't.

Tebow is never hidden.

Tebow is the lone star.

Tebow doesn't need to hide.

Flacco better hope he can hide when the game is on the line.

Flacco better hope for a lead when the game is close.

Tebow doesn't need a lead.

Tebow doesn't need.

Tebow just delivers.

Northman
12-17-2011, 02:34 PM

Yea, i was listening to him the other night. Dude has very little too talk about since a good portion of the Raven fanbase dont really care for him as a QB.

Dzone
12-17-2011, 03:08 PM
they are discussing Tebow right now on foxradio..compared him to Robert Horey dropping 3 pointers...now saying the Denver D got ripped by Ponder then Hanie...its a good talk going on right now...same drivel now about that they wont be able to sustain this run and you cant win like this consistently blah blah blah

Tned
12-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Considering Dilfer has been one of Tebow's biggest critics and completely ignored the fact that the criticism was after Tebow's 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. start, I will give Dilfer 'some' credit for talking about the fact that Tebow has improved as a passer during his 8 starts this year and for acknowledging that he and others have failed to take into account the fact that he still only has 11 starts.

Canmore
12-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Considering Dilfer has been one of Tebow's biggest critics and completely ignored the fact that the criticism was after Tebow's 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. start, I will give Dilfer 'some' credit for talking about the fact that Tebow has improved as a passer during his 8 starts this year and for acknowledging that he and others have failed to take into account the fact that he still only has 11 starts.

I'm not really convinced Dilfer has changed his opinion even though his stance has changed. I will give him credit for acknowledging Tebow has improved and in this league is still a newcomer. How many seasons do they say it takes for a NFL quarterback to develop? Three I believe is the usual number and Tebow has eleven starts.

Tned
12-17-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm not really convinced Dilfer has changed his opinion even though his stance has changed. I will give him credit for acknowledging Tebow has improved and in this league is still a newcomer. How many seasons do they say it takes for a NFL quarterback to develop? Three I believe is the usual number and Tebow has eleven starts.

Agreed. Unlike his Tweets, on air I've been hearing him at best give him back handed compliments.

TT15Superman
12-17-2011, 04:00 PM
...who claim he will never succeed...THIS ^.

This is why these "analysts" are so ridiculous. They were preaching this before he ever had a start.

Yet, they look to give QBs like McCoy, Bradford, Clausen, Newton, Gabbert, Ponder, Locker, Losman, Henne, Cassel, etc, etc, etc. all the chance in the world. And those guys have done NOTHING (either).

So, why not take the position of "I don't know"...let's see.

catfish
12-17-2011, 04:57 PM

the standard line is like 30-45 starts

lgenf
12-17-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm glad Dilfer is seeing the light

I am also glad that many of the things some of us are seeing in the games, like the HUGE advantage the TRUE SPREAD FORMATION with T2 at QB gives our offense each and every play

That doesn't mean we will always gain yardage or score a TD because it's still 1 on 1 play, but if T2 can beat that first guy, or he gets caught up in the scrum going after the fake or fakes, then we have a huge advantage that usually gets us good yardage

As for all the other stuff Dilfer sees, I'll take his word for it as he is a professional analyst

Canmore
12-17-2011, 05:01 PM
the standard line is like 30-45 starts

Two to three years. I believe Tim has a few starts to go.

catfish
12-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Two to three years. I believe Tim has a few starts to go.

yup, one of the reasons I won't get on the Tebow as franchise QB of the future bandwagon...QB's should be season to season(not game to game) for the first few years as so much can change for the good or the bad in that time.

It's why I get frustrated at the Tebow is the greatest crowd and the Tebow sucks crowd at the same time. Right now he is improving, for where he is at in his career that is all people shoud want. He has definate flaws that he needs to work on..no guarantte he will fix them, not certain he won't.If he plateaus or regresses next year take it from there.

Canmore
12-17-2011, 05:12 PM
yup, one of the reasons I won't get on the Tebow as franchise QB of the future bandwagon...QB's should be season to season(not game to game) for the first few years as so much can change for the good or the bad in that time.

It's why I get frustrated at the Tebow is the greatest crowd and the Tebow sucks crowd at the same time. Right now he is improving, for where he is at in his career that is all people should want. He has definite flaws that he needs to work on..no guarantee he will fix them, not certain he won't.If he plateaus or regresses next year take it from there.

Agreed. I don't have a crystal ball that will tell me how the Tim Tebow story ends. Right now, I love what I see. He is young, very young, improving and winning. I don't know what else you would ask of a young quarterback.

TimHippo
12-17-2011, 10:41 PM

I agree.
If you listen carefully to what all the hater analysts are saying you'll notice that they do not admit they are wrong in most cases. Instead they say things like, this is fascinating, mystical, unexplainable, something we've never seen before, breaking the rules, this is like a science experiment, like Tim Tebow is some creature or alien from another planet. All the things they are saying basically maintain that they were right about their football analysis but Tebow is somehow something extra, something above what their "correct analysis had forecasted.

Which is hogwash IMO. The smart ones, and champions like Ditka, Gruden, Montana correctly predicted Tebows success. He consistently had a 66% accuracy rate at Florida yet the haters overlooked this. They kept saying that Heisman trophy QBs fail, when the usual reason they fail is that they are too small for the NFL and have a below average NFL arm. They point to the mechanics, yet guys like Bernie Kosar, Phillip Rivers, Roger Staubach succeeded with flawed mechanics.

Then they point that they have never seen a big mobile QB like this. Which is also not true. Bobby Douglass was 6-4 225. Steve McNair was a big boy at 6-2 230 and prime McNabb (before his leg injuries) was 6-2 240.

Most of the "expert" haters are either non QBs or never played pro football. The haters who are QBs like Dilfer were medicore QBs. (let's face it if he never won the super bowl with the Ravens he wouldn't even be here). In fact if you look at what Dilfer says on the Elite 11 he is always saying rooting for the underdog or unorthodox guy or about to cry when talking about those kind of outside the box kids. And yet when it came to Tebow, his mechanics were flawed, he was unorthodox, yada, yada, yada and these were all bad things.

catfish
12-19-2011, 11:33 AM
just as a follow up, Dilfer said after the NE game Tebow showed more improvment as a passer. I get the feeling he is one of the few analysts that have sat down and taken a look at the film with an open mind and sees what a spread option can actually do for a team rather than spouting the typical "it won't work because it has never been done" line

vandammage13
12-19-2011, 01:41 PM
-ONLY 11 STARTS, yet I & so many others forgot to see him through that lens.This will continue to be a fascinating study

-An offseason of working on the RIGHT stuff & increasing his FB IQ will have a tremendous impact on his game.

-For u simple minds out there, mobile QB's & this QB who dictates looks w/designed runs are two TOTALLY different things!

^^^These last 3 quotes from Dilfer were probably the best ones^^^