PDA

View Full Version : Student's Tebowing in the hallway get suspended.

Dapper Dan
12-15-2011, 06:11 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/N-Y-teens-suspended-for-Tebowing-in-school-hall?urn=highschool-wp9989

Apparently it was "blocking the halls" and "could have caused a riot". Haha. Tebow, what a trouble-maker. *Sarcasm*

NightTerror218
12-15-2011, 06:14 PM
wow, pathetic school

Northman
12-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Weak sauce.

Dzone
12-15-2011, 06:21 PM
Suspended? WTF? Those look like nice kids. Just another example of how screwed up our politically correct schools have become.

Dapper Dan
12-15-2011, 06:23 PM
It was between classes and it was probably blocking the halls. But unless there's more to it, I don't see why they're suspended.

Northman
12-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Imagine if they got into a fight at school, it would probably mean the gas chamber.

camdisco24
12-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Principal must be a bitter Jets fan.

NightTerror218
12-15-2011, 06:25 PM
"it could start a riot"

wow, some people are either incredibly paranoid or stupid.

NightTerror218
12-15-2011, 06:25 PM
Principal must be a bitter Jets fan.

:lol::lol:

wayninja
12-15-2011, 06:57 PM
I've seen Timmy's famous pose being describe a lot in the media as a celebration... is this accurate? Is this genuine praying or is this some sort of victory pose or both?

wayninja
12-15-2011, 07:00 PM
In the principals defense, High Schools in long island are basically jails and prison riots can be ******* crazy.

Dapper Dan
12-15-2011, 07:42 PM
The story ran on ESPN. Apparently each athlete was suspended one game.

blamkin86
12-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Several dozen students did it, three days in a row. They were asked not to, but did it anyway. Suspensions.

As usual, give me the facts, not the hype. I'm fine with it. If you want to show your support for Tebow, you don't have to do it three days in a row in the hallway blocking other students.

Ravage!!!
12-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Its like the kids with the ping-pong balls having to miss their graduation ceremony. This is a complete and total over reaction to something pretty innocent and harmless. This kind of over policing really pisses me off.

Dapper Dan
12-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Several dozen students did it, three days in a row. They were asked not to, but did it anyway. Suspensions.

As usual, give me the facts, not the hype. I'm fine with it. If you want to show your support for Tebow, you don't have to do it three days in a row in the hallway blocking other students.

One of the kids talked to ESPN about an hour or so ago. He said "if they would have told us to stop, we would have."

bcbronc
12-15-2011, 08:10 PM
If I had known it would have got me days off from school, I'd have Tebowed in the halls at least once a week when I was in high school.

OrangeHoof
12-15-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm just guessing if these students decided to sprawl out a rug, bow face-first towards Mecca and begin praying the school officials wouldn't have tried to have them suspended. Tebowing is akin to Christian prayer in school and the administrators are dead set against any of that going on.

bcbronc
12-15-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm just guessing if these students decided to sprawl out a rug, bow face-first towards Mecca and begin praying the school officials wouldn't have tried to have them suspended. Tebowing is akin to Christian prayer in school and the administrators are dead set against any of that going on.

shit, took 17 whole posts before someone used the "prosecuted christian" card. Even got a little Islamaphobia to boot, didn't see that coming! Well done!

camdisco24
12-15-2011, 09:37 PM
shit, took 17 whole posts before someone used the "prosecuted christian" card. Even got a little Islamaphobia to boot, didn't see that coming! Well done!

But is he wrong?

Plus, I dont see how that could be taken as "Islamaphobia"

FanInAZ
12-15-2011, 10:37 PM

After carefully reading this article, it was clear to me that these students had no religious agenda.

Tebowing, a relatively harmless act which emerged amidst the rapid rise of the Denver Broncos quarterback, is meant to be an homage to the second-year passer's religiously focused touchdown celebrations. No sooner had Tebow used his one knee celebration than the Internet exploded with impromptu Tebow copycats, filling the void created when planking became passé.
The Riverhead teens were apparently just trying to tap into that trend, with Carroll saying that the group only intended to throw down one-kneed touchdown salutes, "out of respect for Tebow, and because Tebowing is the new thing to do."

As far as your "Islamaphobia" allegation, are you going to deny that many schools allow Muslims to participate in noontime prayer at school? It's a fact that they do. I don't have a problem with that as long as the same accommodations are made to everyone no matter their religious faith or lack thereof. It's called having one standard for all.

You are right about one thing; it’s not possible for Christian to face persecution. Nor is possible for whites to be the targets of racism and males the targets of sexism. Everyone knows that all of us white, male, Christians are total scumbags that deserve any grief that we are given and that no one should ever stick up for our civil rights.

This is very apparent in one of the Autism support groups that I attend. I’ve been accused “forcing my religion down people’s throat” by, mentioning that my Church is wanting to take an active role in meeting the needs of the Autism community, the need for Autistics to overcome their negative past experiences, mentioning that a general purpose 12 Step program that I attended at my church has helped me in that endeavor & if anyone wants to integrate Biblical solutions to their Autistic struggles to see me after the meeting. I’ve never quoted any Christian scripture or doctrine, only acknowledged that I possessed such knowledge for those who are interested. Meanwhile, our devout God hating atheist co-organizer, Tara, is free to make mention of those of us who have imaginary friends & promote her Occupy Phoenix activities that she does outside the group.

I attempted to deal with these issues in a privet email I sent her last May. I’d interpret her response as bordering on severing our friendship over it & becoming increasingly combative towards me personally during the meetings. Looking back on this in retrospect, she is clearly in the right & I’m in the wrong. Tara is exercising her right of free speech & I’m a white, male, Christian scumbag. It’s clear that the only solution to this conflict is for me to denounce my faith in Christ & become a God hating atheist like her & get a sex change. I'm still not sure how I'm to cure myself of being white. I am 1/16 Comanche Native American, is there anything that I can do to change myself into becoming full blood Comanche?

bcbronc
12-15-2011, 11:59 PM
After carefully reading this article, it was clear to me that these students had no religious agenda.

um, ya, that was kind of my point.

Here's what Orangehoof said:

"Tebowing is akin to Christian prayer in school"

Bwaaahahahahaha....Bwahhahahahahah....:laugh:

sure it is.

As far as your "Islamaphobia" allegation, are you going to deny that many schools allow Muslims to participate in noontime prayer at school? It's a fact that they do. I don't have a problem with that as long as the same accommodations are made to everyone no matter their religious faith or lack thereof. It's called having one standard for all.

okay, you say the kids had no religious agenda, so what the **** does a Muslim saying his/her prayers have to do with this again? And can you provide me with a link or two of where Muslims are saying their prayers in the middle of a hallway? And maybe some where Christians saying their prayers privately (as in out of the way, as Muslims tend to) that has been punished for it?

You are right about one thing; it’s not possible for Christian to face persecution. Nor is possible for whites to be the targets of racism and males the targets of sexism. Everyone knows that all of us white, male, Christians are total scumbags that deserve any grief that we are given and that no one should ever stick up for our civil rights.

shit, dude, tears are streaming down my cheeks for you. All those years you (and I for that matter, cept the Christian part of course) weren't allowed to vote, or own property or even have ownership of your own personhood. We're really hard done by. boo freakin hoo.

This is very apparent in one of the Autism support groups that I attend. I’ve been accused “forcing my religion down people’s throat” by, mentioning that my Church is wanting to take an active role in meeting the needs of the Autism community, the need for Autistics to overcome their negative past experiences, mentioning that a general purpose 12 Step program that I attended at my church has helped me in that endeavor & if anyone wants to integrate Biblical solutions to their Autistic struggles to see me after the meeting. I’ve never quoted any Christian scripture or doctrine, only acknowledged that I possessed such knowledge for those who are interested. Meanwhile, our devout God hating atheist co-organizer, Tara, is free to make mention of those of us who have imaginary friends & promote her Occupy Phoenix activities that she does outside the group.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you've brought it up more than once. Just speculation on my part, but I bet you bring it up every meeting. Probably bring hand-outs too, just in case.

I attempted to deal with these issues in a privet email I sent her last May. I’d interpret her response as bordering on severing our friendship over it & becoming increasingly combative towards me personally during the meetings. Looking back on this in retrospect, she is clearly in the right & I’m in the wrong. Tara is exercising her right of free speech & I’m a white, male, Christian scumbag. It’s clear that the only solution to this conflict is for me to denounce my faith in Christ & become a God hating atheist like her & get a sex change. I'm still not sure how I'm to cure myself of being white. I am 1/16 Comanche Native American, is there anything that I can do to change myself into becoming full blood Comanche?

well, good thing is if you do go ahead with the sex change, you've got the dramatic self-pity down pat. haha, just joking around, no need for any of our lovely female posters to take offense.

Have you tried looking in the mirror re: your relationship with Tara? In my experience (granted, religion is treated a lot differently for the most part in my country than the good ole USA) but usually when non-christians ask a christian to stop shoving their god down their throats, it's usually not because they've mentioned it casually once in case anyone's interested.

I'm also guessing you have some issues with women in authority, whether you recognize it or not. Plus, being a god-hating atheist is an oxymoron. Obviously you have some issues with Tara's politics and feel because you're a white male christian, everyone everywhere should have to listen to your religious sales pitch whenever you want to pitch it. Well good on Tara for standing up to your attempts at bullying (more speculation on my part, but I'd bet dollars to donuts your private email would support that allegation).

[/dr. phil]

:welcome:

camdisco24
12-16-2011, 12:23 AM

Here's what Orangehoof said:

"Tebowing is akin to Christian prayer in school"

Bwaaahahahahaha....Bwahhahahahahah....:laugh:

sure it is.

okay, you say the kids had no religious agenda, so what the **** does a Muslim saying his/her prayers have to do with this again? And can you provide me with a link or two of where Muslims are saying their prayers in the middle of a hallway? And maybe some where Christians saying their prayers privately (as in out of the way, as Muslims tend to) that has been punished for it?

shit, dude, tears are streaming down my cheeks for you. All those years you (and I for that matter, cept the Christian part of course) weren't allowed to vote, or own property or even have ownership of your own personhood. We're really hard done by. boo freakin hoo.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you've brought it up more than once. Just speculation on my part, but I bet you bring it up every meeting. Probably bring hand-outs too, just in case.

well, good thing is if you do go ahead with the sex change, you've got the dramatic self-pity down pat. haha, just joking around, no need for any of our lovely female posters to take offense.

Have you tried looking in the mirror re: your relationship with Tara? In my experience (granted, religion is treated a lot differently for the most part in my country than the good ole USA) but usually when non-christians ask a christian to stop shoving their god down their throats, it's usually not because they've mentioned it casually once in case anyone's interested.

I'm also guessing you have some issues with women in authority, whether you recognize it or not. Plus, being a god-hating atheist is an oxymoron. Obviously you have some issues with Tara's politics and feel because you're a white male christian, everyone everywhere should have to listen to your religious sales pitch whenever you want to pitch it. Well good on Tara for standing up to your attempts at bullying (more speculation on my part, but I'd bet dollars to donuts your private email would support that allegation).

[/dr. phil]

:welcome:

So you can make a bunch of generalizations, but no one else can. Got it.

Great double standard post!

Davii
12-16-2011, 12:30 AM
These kids are dumb. All they had to do was claim they were "occupying" the hallway and their teachers would've bought them lunch.

bcbronc
12-16-2011, 12:39 AM

Where did I generalize? I spoke about my personal experiences. In other words about specificindividuals from specific situations.

camdisco24
12-16-2011, 01:18 AM
Where did I generalize? I spoke about my personal experiences. In other words about specificindividuals from specific situations.

Some of your "speculation" about how a Christian might act would qualify as a generalization.

If others in this thread can't post their opinion without your, IMO angry and sarcastic, responses, what is the point of a debate?

FanInAZ
12-16-2011, 01:40 AM

A key principle of conflict resolution is to find common ground in order to hopefully generate goodwill with the other person. Apparently, you didn't catch on to that.

I didn't think to address the issue of them blocking the hallway because I believed the fact that this group had no religious agenda for their "Tebowing" made it a moot point. Nevertheless, I don't approve anyone who wants to make a statement to do so in a way that impleads another person's right to go about their business. Back in the 90's, there was a Christian student’s campaign call, "Meet Me at the Pole." Its intent was to gather Christians together at the schools' flagpole in order to pray for them. In every school I've ever seen, the flagpoles are placed in a common area with plenty of room in which dozens of students can engage in such activities without impeding anyone else's ability to go about their business. If students, Christian or otherwise, want to "Tebow;" then I believe their schools' flagpole is the best place to do it.

As far as my attitude about Muslims, I wrote a commentary about that on the 1st anniversary of 9/11. It was titled, "My Humanization of Muslims," which I self-published and hung it on the doors of every apartment of a complex filled with refugees that I was serving at the time. Many of these refugees were Muslims who expressed their gratitude towards me for writing it. Some Christians have stop short of calling me a traitor for writing it, but I stand by what I wrote as fervently as any Christian doctrine that I embrace. Me standing by these convictions played a major role in me being chased away from Broncosfreak back in 2007. I just started a new tread in which I copy and paste the entire commentary.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1480593#post1480593

As far as what appears to me to be your assumption that if theirs problems between Christians & non-Christians, then the problem must be that the Christians are shoving their options down everyone else’s throat. If this is the case, then it's a complete and total waist of my time to continue this dialog with you. However, if you’re single male, you & Tara might make a great couple. The only sticking point is that Tara with only date Autistics because she tired of dealing with neurotypical boyfriends/husband who doesn't understand how autism affects her. If you’re qualified, and interested, let me know & I'll see about fixing the two of you up.

sneakers
12-16-2011, 01:43 AM
Getting suspended from schools sounds totally awesome!

tebowtime5502
12-16-2011, 01:46 AM
Sounds like those babies over at Broncos Country.

I'm glad Timmy ain't no softie.

bcbronc
12-16-2011, 02:37 AM
Some of your "speculation" about how a Christian might act would qualify as a generalization.

again, just going by my own personal experiences. Obviously they won't hold true for every other similar experience.

If others in this thread can't post their opinion without your, IMO angry and sarcastic, responses, what is the point of a debate?

If your opinion is that these kids got suspended because they were saying Christian prayers and not Muslim ones, even though the quote from the kid himself makes it blatantly clear their Tebowing had absolutely nothing to do with prayers of any type, then there's not really much to debate. Let's be honest, that's the kind of "opinion" that deserves an angry and sarcastic response.

A key principle of conflict resolution is to find common ground in order to hopefully generate goodwill with the other person. Apparently, you didn't catch on to that.

I didn't think to address the issue of them blocking the hallway because I believed the fact that this group had no religious agenda for their "Tebowing" made it a moot point. Nevertheless, I don't approve anyone who wants to make a statement to do so in a way that impleads another person's right to go about their business. Back in the 90's, there was a Christian student’s campaign call, "Meet Me at the Pole." Its intent was to gather Christians together at the schools' flagpole in order to pray for them. In every school I've ever seen, the flagpoles are placed in a common area with plenty of room in which dozens of students can engage in such activities without impeding anyone else's ability to go about their business. If students, Christian or otherwise, want to "Tebow;" then I believe their schools' flagpole is the best place to do it.

okay, so why did you say this to me: "As far as your "Islamaphobia" allegation, are you going to deny that many schools allow Muslims to participate in noontime prayer at school? It's a fact that they do."

I fail to see why Islam has been mentioned in this thread at all, except to continue propagating ignorance and intolerance.

As far as my attitude about Muslims, I wrote a commentary about that on the 1st anniversary of 9/11. It was titled, "My Humanization of Muslims," which I self-published and hung it on the doors of every apartment of a complex filled with refugees that I was serving at the time. Many of these refugees were Muslims who expressed their gratitude towards me for writing it. Some Christians have stop short of calling me a traitor for writing it, but I stand by what I wrote as fervently as any Christian doctrine that I embrace. Me standing by these convictions played a major role in me being chased away from Broncosfreak back in 2007. I just started a new tread in which I copy and paste the entire commentary.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1480593#post1480593

I didn't click to read your thread, but if the response was as you said (and I have no reason to believe otherwise) then you're likely aware of the stigma Muslims face in your country. If so, I'm a bit disappointed you choose to reinforce that intolerance in this thread.

As far as what appears to me to be your assumption that if theirs problems between Christians & non-Christians, then the problem must be that the Christians are shoving their options down everyone else’s throat. If this is the case, then it's a complete and total waist of my time to continue this dialog with you.

nope, not just because there's a problem between Christian and non, but the specific problem of a Christian being asked not to "shove it down other's throat" tends to have similar story arcs. It's possible that in your situation, all you did was briefly mentioned your Church's program once or twice. It's also possible it became the dominant theme whenever you were present. I don't know, I wasn't there.

I do know I have never been around a group of people who asked a person of faith (of whichever brand) to stop shoving it down their throats just because they made their religion known, or mentioned it once or twice. I also know I've been around people, usually Christians, that take every opportunity they can to bring up their religion. Ask them why, and they'll usually say it's their duty as a [insert faith here]. These people can often be aggressive, and frequently don't respect requests to change the subject. I hope you're not one of those Christians, Fan, because I've always found they turned off way more than they converted.

However, if you’re single male, you & Tara might make a great couple. The only sticking point is that Tara with only date Autistics because she tired of dealing with neurotypical boyfriends/husband who doesn't understand how autism affects her. If you’re qualified, and interested, let me know & I'll see about fixing the two of you up.

I am flattered, but I'm married and don't have Autism. She sounds like a wonderful woman though, give her my best!

dogfish
12-16-2011, 02:59 AM
WTF is wrong with you people? :tsk:

FanInAZ
12-16-2011, 04:40 AM
okay, so why did you say this to me: "As far as your "Islamaphobia" allegation, are you going to deny that many schools allow Muslims to participate in noontime prayer at school? It's a fact that they do."

I fail to see why Islam has been mentioned in this thread at all, except to continue propagating ignorance and intolerance.

I didn't click to read your thread, but if the response was as you said (and I have no reason to believe otherwise) then you're likely aware of the stigma Muslims face in your country. If so, I'm a bit disappointed you choose to reinforce that intolerance in this thread.

The one and only post that you could possibly be interpreting as anti-Islamic intolerance was post #17...

OH is clearly asking whether or not Muslims would be held to the same standard as Christians. We'll never know here in Phoenix because the schools do provide a privet room for Muslim students to pray in. This is a fact that I now from my time serving the Muslim refugee community, and I have no problem with it as long as Christians are given the same accommodations. I don't know how much things may or may not have changed, but I know that there was a lot of opposition to us having Christian Clubs on campus in the mid-80's. If the Muslim are going to get special rooms set aside for them to pray, then we should be allowed to have and to open promote our school clubs. If Muslims want to start their own clubs, I fully support their right to do so.

nope, not just because there's a problem between Christian and non, but the specific problem of a Christian being asked not to "shove it down other's throat" tends to have similar story arcs. It's possible that in your situation, all you did was briefly mentioned your Church's program once or twice. It's also possible it became the dominant theme whenever you were present. I don't know, I wasn't there.

I do know I have never been around a group of people who asked a person of faith (of whichever brand) to stop shoving it down their throats just because they made their religion known, or mentioned it once or twice. I also know I've been around people, usually Christians, that take every opportunity they can to bring up their religion. Ask them why, and they'll usually say it's their duty as a [insert faith here]. These people can often be aggressive, and frequently don't respect requests to change the subject. I hope you're not one of those Christians, Fan, because I've always found they turned off way more than they converted.

I didn't say the whole group was doing it, I said that one of our group’s co-organizers is doing it. The other co-organizer, Sue, is a placatory that won't stand up to anyone. There's only one other hard-core God hater in that group. It very clear that the majority of the group, including those who don't embrace Christianity, are buying into the core of my message which isn't center on my theological belief system.

As far as when am I bringing up these issues? During the announcement portion when everyone gets a chance to inform the group about autism related programs & activates outside the group. My objective is to convince them to try a different meeting format based more on us sharing our personal experiences rather than listening to an expert lecture us on a subject. It may not seem like a big deal to most of you because learning for our mutual experiences format have been used successfully for numerous groups over the years, but the format is contrary to the only way things have been done in the Autistic community.

Therefore, I do need to provide some precedent that explains why they should try it. All of my precedent is from church groups that I've been involved with. When I say that I'm barrowing elements from the 12 step group that I was involved in doesn't mean that I'm running a 12 step group. It simply means that there are some things that we did there that I believe will work for Autistics, such as learning about ourselves by listening to each other's personal experiences. It's for this that Tara has accused me of shoving my religion down everyone throat.

catfish
12-16-2011, 07:33 AM
The one and only post that you could possibly be interpreting as anti-Islamic intolerance was post #17...

OH is clearly asking whether or not Muslims would be held to the same standard as Christians. We'll never know here in Phoenix because the schools do provide a privet room for Muslim students to pray in. This is a fact that I now from my time serving the Muslim refugee community, and I have no problem with it as long as Christians are given the same accommodations. I don't know how much things may or may not have changed, but I know that there was a lot of opposition to us having Christian Clubs on campus in the mid-80's. If the Muslim are going to get special rooms set aside for them to pray, then we should be allowed to have and to open promote our school clubs. If Muslims want to start their own clubs, I fully support their right to do so.

I didn't say the whole group was doing it, I said that one of our group’s co-organizers is doing it. The other co-organizer, Sue, is a placatory that won't stand up to anyone. There's only one other hard-core God hater in that group. It very clear that the majority of the group, including those who don't embrace Christianity, are buying into the core of my message which isn't center on my theological belief system.

As far as when am I bringing up these issues? During the announcement portion when everyone gets a chance to inform the group about autism related programs & activates outside the group. My objective is to convince them to try a different meeting format based more on us sharing our personal experiences rather than listening to an expert lecture us on a subject. It may not seem like a big deal to most of you because learning for our mutual experiences format have been used successfully for numerous groups over the years, but the format is contrary to the only way things have been done in the Autistic community.

Therefore, I do need to provide some precedent that explains why they should try it. All of my precedent is from church groups that I've been involved with. When I say that I'm barrowing elements from the 12 step group that I was involved in doesn't mean that I'm running a 12 step group. It simply means that there are some things that we did there that I believe will work for Autistics, such as learning about ourselves by listening to each other's personal experiences. It's for this that Tara has accused me of shoving my religion down everyone throat.

As an innocent bystander to the conversation it appears this discussion may be getting sidetracked. Lets not get into talks about religion or race. It hasn't got worked out in over 2000 years it probably wont get solved on this forum.

Can we limit it to whether or not we thought it was an overreaction by the administrators at the school and leave the social implications out of it.

Personally I think the schools overreacted, but have no choice but to do so for liability reasons. Slippery slope and all that

rcsodak
12-16-2011, 09:42 AM
I think he's prolly closer to correct than you want to believe.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BroncoJoe
12-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Eh. The principal is probably a Sooner.

rcsodak
12-16-2011, 09:49 AM

Its a canadian thing. ;')

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

OrangeHoof
12-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Let me just clarify one point. When I said "Tebowing is akin to Christian prayer in school" I meant from an administrative standpoint, not the standpoint of the Tebowers.

What is Tim Tebow doing when he is "tebowing"? Catching his breath? Looking up the skirts of the cheerleaders? Praising Allah? No, he's making a brief prayer of thanks to his Christian God.

It makes no difference what the intent of others are when they are in that position. It could be used as a position of prayer and, therefore, the school administrators have to approach it as a possible insertion of Christianity into their school which public school administrators feel is expressly forbidden.

If they were to allow a bunch of mocking Tebowers to block the hall, what legal ground do they have to stand on if actual Christians wanted to pray in that same pose in the same place? Should the school censor one but not the other? On what grounds?

Ironically or not, Jesus encountered the same thing with the Pharisees. They had created a whole bunch of laws to prevent people from even trying to do what they saw as unlawful. They're like the cities now trying to outlaw electronic cigarettes because they look like cigarettes being smoked in non-smoking areas even though they don't produce any harmful smoke which was the whole premise of banning smoking.

So, to make absolutely sure nobody is praying Christian prayers in their schools, the schools ban tebowing whether the tebowers are actually praying or not.

Dreadnought
12-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Never underestimate the stupidity of the U.S. Public Education system. Add in the fact that Long Island is inherently a very silly place and you get this result.

I Eat Staples
12-16-2011, 03:08 PM

It has nothing to do with religion. High schools have become like jail cells, you can't do shit without getting in trouble.

tebowtime5502
12-16-2011, 03:12 PM
That HS is a joke and should be contracted from the USA.

blamkin86
12-16-2011, 03:20 PM
One of the kids talked to ESPN about an hour or so ago. He said "if they would have told us to stop, we would have."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7357978/high-school-athletes-suspended-tebowing

Two of the four student athletes were warned:

Riverhead superintendent Nancy Carney said that two of the students' suspensions were later rescinded, citing that administrators found that those students were not given the same warnings that the other two were.

Of course, the two that were warned - no chance they told any of the 40 students that were doing this BS.

Personally, go get an education. What does doing this crap in the hallway have anything to do with anything?

If it's really about praying (yeah, right) I supposed it's entirely coincidental that Tebowing is now popular. You've been wanting to pray in the hallway, on the floor, between classes, for your entire juvenile life.

Far more likely, the kids are being kids. If so, as I said, they were warned, they got suspended.

Big Deal.

aberdien
12-16-2011, 05:38 PM
It's basically just like telling occupy wall street dudes to ****. These kids were blocking the way and causing disruptions it seems judging by the video.

topscribe
12-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Breaking news! A student, who wishes to remain anonymous, reported that he
looked in the lower left drawer in the principal's desk and discovered an Orton
jersey.

Joel
12-16-2011, 10:25 PM
In the ESPN call in referenced earlier the kid said (twice) they were paying "tribute to Tebow" (precisely the sort of thing that bothered me about Tebowing in the first place.) Unless the Christian Church changed deities when I wasn't looking, Tebowing is not akin to Christian prayer in school. And Christian, Muslim or Moonie, when groups of kids block hallways between classes for a minute at a time three days straight (as the kid in the call in also stated they did,) they'll receive disciplinary action. You have the right to pray; you don't have the right to stop traffic while you do it.

But is he wrong?
Yes. Unequivocally.

Plus, I dont see how that could be taken as "Islamaphobia"
Probably because he specifically referenced Islam. To be fair, it did seem to have the tone of "any religion EXCEPT Christianity would not be treated this way." Turns out Christianity wasn't involved in their "tribute" though.

FanInAZ
12-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Breaking news! A student, who wishes to remain anonymous, reported that he
looked in the lower left drawer in the principal's desk and discovered an Orton
jersey.

:welcome: Welcome back Top :welcome:

camdisco24
12-16-2011, 10:47 PM
Yes. Unequivocally.

ehh, comes to to opinion honestly.

Probably because he specifically referenced Islam. To be fair, it did seem to have the tone of "any religion EXCEPT Christianity would not be treated this way." Turns out Christianity wasn't involved in their "tribute" though.

Agreed Christianity wasn't involved.

However, I am not that far removed from the public schooling system (3 years) and I can tell you first hand, Christianity gets treated MUCH differently than any other religion or view when it comes to regulation in schools. We had a discussion about this a few months ago with my buddies and it actually sounds like it is worse up north than down south, but its certainly not a regional thing. Not really a discussion for the main broncos section, but that's my input.

Joel
12-16-2011, 11:04 PM
ehh, comes to to opinion honestly.
Honestly, it doesn't, not when the kids involved are on record multiple times that they did it to praise Tebow rather than Jesus, particularly after several were asked to stop doing it in the middle of the hall between classes.

Agreed Christianity wasn't involved.
Well, that seems to settle the matter then.

However, I am not that far removed from the public schooling system (3 years) and I can tell you first hand, Christianity gets treated MUCH differently than any other religion or view when it comes to regulation in schools. We had a discussion about this a few months ago with my buddies and it actually sounds like it is worse up north than down south, but its certainly not a regional thing. Not really a discussion for the main broncos section, but that's my input.
My honors alebra II teacher (at a public HS) was an ordained minister in addition to being one of the most respected member of the faculty (somehow, the day we overtaxed his patience led to us helping him brainstorm the math/science academy inaugurated the next year.) In additon to coaching the schools Academic Decathlon team (which I incidentally anchored) he performed a marriage for a pair of former students while I was in his class (and baptized me about a decade later.) Frankly, I don't see it, but YMMV; as you say, not really a Football Forums discussion, so I'll leave it there.