PDA

View Full Version : MailBag

TXBRONC
02-03-2009, 08:06 PM
I just got done reading Klis' mailbag and I thought it was a pretty good Q & A.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11612635

Mailbag: No D is no reason
Shanahan's sacking still stupefies Karry from California
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 02/03/2009 12:30:31 AM MST
Updated: 02/03/2009 05:54:54 PM MST

Denver Post sports writer Mike Klis posted his Broncos Mailbag every Tuesday during the 2008 NFL season on DenverPost.com. Welcome to a special offseason installment. The next installment is slated for March 17.

Drop a Broncos- or NFL-related question into the Broncos Mailbag or visit The Denver Post's Broncos Page.

Why fire Mike Shanahan? We had no running backs. No defense. Why him?
-- Karry Luttge, Burbank, Calif.

Karry - I would not have been surprised had Shanahan been fired after the 2007 season, when the Broncos finished 7-9 and missed the playoffs for a second consecutive year. I would have expected Shanahan to be fired had the Broncos failed to reach the postseason for a fourth consecutive season following 2009.

But I didn't expect it this year because there was so much promising youth and signs the team was on the positive side of its rebuilding cycle. Then again, no coach who won just one playoff game the previous 10 years can say he didn't get a fair shake. And the defense, by the way, was a reason to blame Shanahan, not excuse him.

Mike - What's your take on the Josh McDaniels hire? I'm OK with it (read not ecstatic, not angry).
-- Wesley, Casper, Wyo.

Wesley - I think your take reflects the general feeling in Broncoland. It's nice to have an offensive whiz kid from New England. But the kid is awfully young, younger than anyone is accustomed with their leader.

When things are bad -- and missing the playoffs three consecutive seasons is bad -- the overriding sense is change beats status quo. But you never know. I was certain Charlie Weis would become a successful head coach, and I was nearly as confident in Romeo Crennel. And a year ago, I didn't think much of Atlanta's hire of Mike Smith or Baltimore's of John Harbaugh.
The best answer I've heard regarding the McDaniels' hire was uttered by Broncos owner Pat Bowlen: "Ask me again in a year." What he said.

What is the connection between McDaniels and Mike Nolan? Have they coached together before?
-- Paul Rognstad, Phoenix

Paul - One connection is they have the same agent, Bob LaMonte, who also represents new Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy. I also wouldn't be surprised if Bowlen had some influence in bringing back Nolan as defensive coordinator. To know Nolan is to be impressed by him, and because he coached special teams and linebackers here from 1987-92, Bowlen knows him.

Mike - I was amazed to read today that Pat Bowlen owes Mike Shanahan $20 million over the next three years. Kudos to his agent, but what happens if Shanahan takes another NFL head coaching job? Is Bowlen off the hook for the prorated amount at the date of hire, or does he still have to pay the entire amount regardless of Shanahan's chosen profession? Personally, if I knew I had an annual severance of $6.67 million coming in every year, I'd spend my three years trying to make the PGA Tour!
-- Ben Holton, Atlanta

Ben - Bowlen does owe Shanahan roughly $20 million through the next three years. However, there is some contract language that forces Shanahan to seek another coaching job some time during the next three years. Bowlen will have to pay him the $6.5 million to $7 million in 2009. If he follows Wade Phillips again and becomes the Cowboys' coach the next year, his salary in Dallas would offset what Bowlen owes. Say the Broncos owe Shanahan $7 million in both 2010 and 2011, and Jerry Jones pays him $3 million in 2010 and 2011. Bowlen would have to pay Shanahan the difference, or $4 million each year.

With it looking like a forgone conclusion the Broncos will be switching to a 3-4defense, there has been a lot of talk that the current roster does not fit the bill. I would like to know what is needed to be a 3-4 linebacker and defensive lineman?
-- Dave, Oregon

Dave - When a defense changes from a 4-3 to a 3-4, the requirements at two positions change dramatically. One, a 3-4 requires a space-eating, man-strong, defensive nose tackle. A 4-3 generally has two defensive tackles. A 3-4 has one. It can have two, but one of them lines up at the end. So that one tackle in the middle has to beat, or stack up, double-team blockers on nearly play.

The other big-time position in the 3-4 is the outside linebacker/pass rusher. Lawrence Taylor was the best ever at this position. Shawne Merriman and James Harrison are the best today. Elvis Dumervil or Jarvis Moss may have the pass-rushing ability to play the outside linebacker in the 3-4, although both would be challenged when asked to backpedal in pass coverage.

I know that the Broncos have to focus their draft on defense, but they NEED a running back. The Doak Walker award winner, Shonn Greene from Iowa, runs in a system that predicates the zone-blocking scheme. Look at the stats! He is a second-round pick-up with great skills!
-- Ian Boers, Des Moines, Iowa

Ian - The Broncos almost certainly will draft a running back. The question is, what round? Everyone assumes the Broncos will draft nothing but defensive players in the first three rounds. But if they sign, say, safety James Sanders, inside linebacker Karlos Dansby and defensive tackle Shaun Cody through free agency, the Broncos would be in position to consider either a running back or receiver with the No. 12 overall pick in the draft.

Why have the Sabols of NFL Films never really received any Pro Football Hall of Fame consideration, considering they have changed the way fans watch the NFL?
-- Tyler, Council Bluffs, Iowa

Tyler - The West Coast offense changed the game. Larry Wilson (the blitz) changed the game. John Mackey (receiving tight end) changed the game. Lawrence Taylor changed the game. But I had never heard the oft-used phrase "changed the way" fans watch the game thanks to the Sabols.

I do think they deserve to be in the Hall of Fame, but not at the expense of a player. I don't think Bills owner Ralph Wilson Jr. should have made the Hall of Fame at the expense of a player, either.

I believe the Pro Football Hall of Fame needs to have a "distinguished service" category. And they should elect one or two "distinguished service" candidates a year. Ed and Steve Sabol would be very deserving of this honor. So would Joe Theismann, Tom Jackson, Roone Arledge and Paul Zimmerman.

Mike Klis has covered the Broncos for four seasons after previously covering the Colorado Rockies and Major League Baseball for 15 years. Drop a Broncos-or NFL-related question into the Broncos Mailbag or visit The Denver Post's Broncos Page.