PDA

View Full Version : National Signing Day...

Buff
02-02-2009, 09:23 PM
is coming up on Wednesday... CU is waiting to hear from about 5 recruits that could either make or break the class.

Byron Moore, a 4-star safety from California is announcing on ESPN 2 on Wednesday morning... He's deciding between CU, USC and Notre Dame.

Any other dorks religiously keeping tabs on this?

Slick
02-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Lets just hope Hawkins can finally land a decent QB Buff. It's been way too long.

MOtorboat
02-02-2009, 09:32 PM
is coming up on Wednesday... CU is waiting to hear from about 5 recruits that could either make or break the class.

Byron Moore, a 4-star safety from California is announcing on ESPN 2 on Wednesday morning... He's deciding between CU, USC and Notre Dame.

Any other dorks religiously keeping tabs on this?

Absolutely been paying attention. I think CU has a solid class, but not great. The Kasa signing is pretty key. Keep them at home.

Buff
02-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Lets just hope Hawkins can finally land a decent QB Buff. It's been way too long.

Don't get your hopes up... We've got at least one more year of Hawkins or Hansen. I'm hoping Hansen can step up and win the job, but he's got a ways to go in terms of managing the offense and throwing the ball. If only Cody weren't such a damn midget, because he's got the work ethic and the smarts.

We only signed 1 QB this class He's a big 6'4" dude and can run a little bit, but he's not going to come in and set the world on fire. They're planning on redshirting him (Of course, they were redshirting Hansen this year and burned that). I'm hoping next year they go after a blue-chipper.

MOtorboat
02-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Wow, I thought it was a decent class, but Rivals ranks it 9th in the conference, and ESPN is ranking it last in the conference.

Slick
02-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Don't get your hopes up... We've got at least one more year of Hawkins or Hansen. I'm hoping Hansen can step up and win the job, but he's got a ways to go in terms of managing the offense and throwing the ball. If only Cody weren't such a damn midget, because he's got the work ethic and the smarts.

We only signed 1 QB this class He's a big 6'4" dude and can run a little bit, but he's not going to come in and set the world on fire. They're planning on redshirting him (Of course, they were redshirting Hansen this year and burned that). I'm hoping next year they go after a blue-chipper.Yeah, I read a little about the kid from california that had orally committed. 6'4" and decent wheels sounds better than what we've got now IMO.

Wow, I thought it was a decent class, but Rivals ranks it 9th in the conference, and ESPN is ranking it last in the conference.Well that sucks.

Buff
02-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Absolutely been paying attention. I think CU has a solid class, but not great. The Kasa signing is pretty key. Keep them at home.

Kasa was a major coup, the class would be in serious trouble without him... We've got a solid DT in Nuckols, and we've got a potentially bad ass receiver in Diante Jackson, as long as he doesn't pull a switcharoo and go to Oregon.

On signing day we could pick up 2 more WR's, both of which are over 6'2"... (Terdema Ussery's dad is like the CEO of the Dallas Mavericks too, so let's hope he commits)...

Plus, one of Byron Moore's high school teammates, Josh Moten, is also going to announce on Wednesday... And he's deciding between Washington and CU... So there is speculation that they are both coming to CU since they are announcing together.

Buff
02-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Wow, I thought it was a decent class, but Rivals ranks it 9th in the conference, and ESPN is ranking it last in the conference.

No way we're behind KSU or ISU... But I'll be damned if Baylor isn't putting together a solid class...

Like I say, there is alot hinging on Wednesday, we could pick up two more 4-stars and 2 more 3-stars which would automatically bump us from somewhere in the 50's to somewhere in the 30's (ranking wise)...

BigDaddyBronco
02-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Wow. Just think, you guys might win the Big 12 North and only lose by 20 to the Big 12 South team in the conference championship. :D

Skinny
02-02-2009, 09:51 PM
I wish Clemson and Tennessee would fire their HC more often. It's helped South Carolina's recruiting alot. :D

MOtorboat
02-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Wow. Just think, you guys might win the Big 12 North and only lose by 20 to the Big 12 South team in the conference championship. :D

The north will rise again.

BigDaddyBronco
02-02-2009, 09:53 PM
The north will rise again.

I wouldn't mind. I get tired of Oklahomo and Texass.

Slick
02-02-2009, 09:54 PM
I wish Clemson and Tennessee would fire their HC more often. It's helped South Carolina's recruiting alot. :D

Any college kid that sees the coeds on that campus shouldn't need any more motivation than that skinny.

Buff
02-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Four-star safety Byron Moore has committed and then de-committed from both USC and UCLA throughout the recruiting process, and now with less than 48 hours until Signing Day, he is torn between USC, Notre Dame and Colorado. Look inside for more.

Four-star safety Byron Moore has committed and then de-committed from both USC and UCLA throughout the recruiting process, and now with less than 48 hours until Signing Day, he is torn between USC, Notre Dame and Colorado.

The Narbonne star visited Colorado this past weekend and came away impressed with the coaching staff, campus and direction of the program.

“The campus was beautiful, the coaching staff was really family-oriented and all the surroundings were awesome,” Moore said. “I like the fact that I would be able to go in and help bring that program back up to the top.”

Moore returned from his trip to Boulder on Sunday, and will spend the next few days examining each school in his top three.

“Now that I got to see Colorado I can be able to evaluate all three schools evenly,” Moore said. “I am just going to take the next couple of days to look at everything and evaluate it.”

While comparing the three schools, Moore said he will weigh a variety of factors.

“Education first, playing time and the coaching staff,” he said. “I want to go to a place where I can go in and it feels like home, get along well with the coaches and a school with a good business program.”

So what does he like about each school?

“Notre Dame is a great academic school,” Moore said. “They are kind of down but they are rebuilding, so I can go in and compete for an opportunity to play early.

“Colorado is another young team that loves to compete. They are another school I can go in and have an opportunity to play early, get a great education and play for a great coaching staff.

“USC is USC. They are always winning, competing and have Coach Carroll, who is one of the best DB coaches around.”

When we broke Moore’s de-commitment story on Jan. 23rd, USC appeared to be out of the running.

“I just wanted to be able to look at all my options and not be worried about being committed to USC,” Moore explained. “I wanted to de-commit so I could be totally open to everyone.”

Since de-committing, the Trojans have continued to pursue the versatile defensive back and have a legitimate shot at adding him to their star-studded recruiting class.

“They have just been laying out the depth chart, and the plans that they have for me, and letting me know that they really want me,” Moore said. “It’s a great program to be a part of and they get you ready for the next level.”

Moore was in contact with Charlie Weis, Dan Hawkins, and the USC staff on Sunday as all three schools made their final pitch.

He will announce his final choice at Narbonne HS at 7 a.m. on Wednesday and it will be aired on ESPNU.

The fact that we are even in the running with Notre Dame and USC shows you that Hawkins is on the right track.

Buff
02-04-2009, 11:36 AM
A couple of major disappointments-- Moore signed with USC, which wasn't a major surprise... But Diante Jackson, a 4-star WR and our 2nd highest rated recruit, reneged on his verbal and signed with Oregon. That was a major punch in the gut...

A 6'8" 350 tackle from Ohio we were after signed with Missou.

The good news so far (that we weren't sure about) is that we landed Terdema Ussery, a 3-star WR who's like 6'4"... And we landed a juco WR in Simmons who was rumored to be all but committed to K-state. They could come in and contribute right away.

We also got Moore's teammate Josh Moten who I thought we'd lost if we lose Moore...

Now we've got to hope for WR Emory Blake, but I kind of think he'll got to Auburn or T-Tech... Let's hope Hawkins pulls off some sort of surprise, because losing Moore and Jackson were major blows to the class.

Rex
02-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Jayhawks class ranked between 25-31.

Buff
02-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Jayhawks class ranked between 25-31.

You guys nabbed a safety we were after... Bradley McDougald.

You're right in the same ballpark as CU. Scouts currently has your class ranked 48. CU is 59, and probably dropping after losing Diante Jackson.

Skinny
02-04-2009, 06:14 PM
South Carolina had a pretty good day signing 29. WR Alshon Jeffrey was a nice suprise commitment choosing the Gamecocks over Tennessee and Southern Cal.

broncophan
02-05-2009, 03:59 AM
Another top 5 recruiting class for THE Ohio State University Buckeyes...:D

Nomad
02-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Another top 5 recruiting class for THE Ohio State University Buckeyes...:D

LSU came in a close 2nd! Hopefully Jefferson and this new top 5 recruit(QB) keep their heads on straight and not be a Perriloux!

Skinny, I saw LSU had a DE sign from SC.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-05-2009, 10:28 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/feb/04/buffaloes-pleased-with-19-who-signed-on-bottom/

Eric Kiesau isn't dwelling on the ones that got away. Then again, after the 19 faxed national letters of intent were received Wednesday, it might have been difficult to not think, "What if?" . . .

"We were very, very close on some very, very good players, (but) you can't sit here and second-guess yourself," said Kiesau, the University of Colorado receivers coach/passing game coordinator.

Kiesau's "close calls" at a position that bore the highest priority tag for CU in this recruiting cycle were Diante Jackson (Oregon) and Emory Blake (Auburn).

Still, Kiesau was able to close the deal on Jarrod Darden, Terdema Ussery and Andre Simmons and, "If you look back at the beginning of recruiting and say, 'Hey, we're going to get these three guys . . . ' you think, 'OK, that's a pretty good class,' " Kiesau said.

But with eight scholarship receivers accounted for, the Buffaloes remain two short of coach Dan Hawkins' preferred total. Hawkins wasn't sure if another two could be added before preseason camp.

In Darden, Ussery and Simmons, CU landed something it lacked - big targets who should play up to Big 12 Conference standards.

"You've got some guys who can play; they're bigger, Big 12-type guys, which is good," Kiesau said, adding the three who signed "are guys who want to be here and be a part of this. With the guys we've got returning and the guys we've got coming in, we'll be just fine."

Among the returning wideouts who didn't play last season are 6-foot-2 sophomore Markques Simas, another big body who was academically ineligible in 2008; and 6-1 redshirt freshman Chance Blackmon, who arrived in the summer weighing 168 pounds and is pushing 195.

Kiesau said Simmons "has some work to do" to qualify but added Simmons' desire to be admitted gives him "a great chance to get it done."

"We understand the difficulty of getting JC kids in; he could have easily taken the easy road and gone somewhere else, particularly within our conference. He chose to stick it out and wanted to be a part of this. That intrigued and actually excited me.

"He took some other visits and still was determined and kept pursuing us, saying, 'This is the place I want to be,' and that's a huge personal trait of character."

Immediate impact

Aside from the receivers, particularly Simmons if he gets in school, kicker/punter Zach Grossnickle could be called on to improve a kicking game that accounted for only six field goals in 17 attempts last season.

Grossnickle made 12-of-13 field goals in 2008 for Denver East, the miss coming from 58 yards. Also, with two starting defensive tackles graduated, Edward Nuckols (6-3, 295) and Nate Bonsu (6-2, 280) might offer help upon arrival.

Hawkins called Nuckols "very explosive . . . he knocks people off the ball; he's a Warren Sapp type."

Sleeper

A signing day FYI: Coaches believe they sign only prospective starters, not sleepers. Pressed to identify an "under-the-radar" guy, Hawkins pondered the question and finally settled on linebacker Derrick Webb - but only because Webb might be a geographic (Memphis, Tenn.) unknown west of the Mississippi.

"He can run and hit - and he's a pretty good rapper," Hawkins said of the 6-foot, 230-pounder.

Another linebacker who might fit the category is Liloa Nobriga, of Summerlin, Nev.

Said Hawkins: "He's really something. (Linebackers coach Brian) Cabral and I watched him play basketball. He's 235 pounds and brings the ball up against the press . . . he's a smooth athlete."

One who got away

Safety Byron Moore chose Southern California over CU and Notre Dame, but Hawkins didn't know Moore's choice until the recruit put on a USC cap on ESPNU's signing day show.

Don't get Hawkins started on the whole televised signing day extravaganza. On second thought, do get him started: He doesn't like 17- and 18-year-olds being "goaded into signing acts for the sake of drama and all that. . . . They treat them like Elvis, and that didn't work out so good for Elvis."

Did you know

Ussery's father, Terdema II, is the president and chief executive officer of the Dallas Mavericks, a former commissioner of the Continental Basketball Association as well as the former president of Nike Sports Management.

Etc.

* Top in-state recruit Nick Kasa (Legacy) initially committed to Florida, then switched his pledge to CU. Hawkins said he didn't "grind" on Kasa, a defensive end: "I know how many spitballs are thrown at (recruits) every single day . . . there's a certain sort of natural bliss there that's awesome when a guy comes to a decision."

* Hawkins said the departure of offensive line coach/running game coordinator Jeff Grimes about three weeks before signing day didn't impact recruiting. Hawkins doesn't think he'll lose any more assistants and hopes to have a replacement for Grimes hired within two weeks. Brad Bedell is not a candidate but will return as an offensive technical intern. CU signed four offensive linemen.

* Athlete Josh Moten will get a first look at quarterback, according to Hawkins. Moten chose CU over Washington, which was recruiting him as a quarterback. The Buffs believe he can be a defensive back or perhaps a receiver. But Moten believes he can be a quarterback - thus the look at that position.

* Defensive end Forrest West reminds Hawkins of Abe Wright, CU's best pass rusher in recent years. "He can run and is explosive," Hawkins said of Forrest.

* CU will have 83 players on scholarship - two short of the NCAA ceiling - if all members of this class qualify and are admitted. Because of injuries and other attrition, the Buffs were using 49 scholarship players when last season ended, Hawkins said.

* CU will play two Thursday night away games this season, and both will be televised by ESPN: Oct. 1 at West Virginia and Nov. 19 at Oklahoma State. Both kick off at 5:30 p.m. Mountain.

* Spring practice begins March 31 and concludes with the spring game April 25. There are 15 practices over 29 days, with most of the practices on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

How did you do?

"I like the pedigrees, the whole balance of life (in this class). . . . I want the kid who wants what we have. We're building a foundation, we're seeing that two-class gap close up, we're seeing more layers of classes in there."

Hawkins

CU signees
Player Pos. Ht. Wt. Hometown (school)
David Bakhtiari OL 6-4 266 San Mateo, Calif. (Juniper Serro)
Nate Bonsu DT 6-2 265 Allen, Texas (Allen)
Jarrod Darden WR 6-4 211 Keller, Texas (Central)
Clark Evans QB 6-5 225 Los Alamitos, Calif. (Los Alamitos)
Zach Grossnickle P-PK 6-3 175 Denver (East)
Gus Handler OL 6-4 265 Barrington, Ill. (Barrington)
Jack Harris OL 6-6 270 Parker (Chaparral)
Nick Kasa DE 6-7 245 Broomfield (Legacy)
Josh Moten ATH 6-0 177 Harbor City, Calif. (Narbonne)
Liloa Nobriga LB 6-2 235 Las Vegas (Palo Verde)
Edward Nuckols DL 6-2 290 San Marcos, Calif. (Mission Hills)
Deji Olatoye DB 6-2 180 Dublin, Ohio (Scioto)
Parker Orms DB 6-0 185 Wheat Ridge (Wheat Ridge)
Shaun Simon OL 6-2 305 Tulsa, Okla. (Union)
Andre Simmons WR 6-3 201 Blackville, S.C. (Independence, Kan. CC)
Da Vaughn Thornton TE 6-5 217 Denver (East)
Terdema Ussery WR 6-4 205 Dallas (St. Mark’s School of Texas)
Derrick Webb LB 6-0 214 Memphis, Tenn. (Whitehaven)
J. Forrest West DE 6-2 230 Salisbury, Conn. (Salisbury School)

Skinny
02-05-2009, 05:22 PM
LSU came in a close 2nd! Hopefully Jefferson and this new top 5 recruit(QB) keep their heads on straight and not be a Perriloux!

Skinny, I saw LSU had a DE sign from SC.Yeah, Sam Montgomery.

LSU has a heck of a class coming in.

West
02-07-2009, 04:03 PM

Skinny, I saw LSU had a DE sign from SC.

Shep will be a WR. In the UA game.. He wad GOD AWFUL at QB. Just saying..

But yall all see Bama at #1 yet again. :D

On a side note.. 2 of my cousins go to school with Kasa at Legacy.

Skinny
01-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Who ya got college football fans? NSD is right around the corner, Feb 3.

We lost highly touted OL Eric Mack to Auburn Tuesday. Stud RB Marcus Lattimore could follow him there, he'll announce his decision on signing day. I hate tigers.

Nomad
01-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Here's a little something I found!!

http://rivals100.rivals.com/teamrank.asp?SID=0

West
01-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Who ya got college football fans? NSD is right around the corner, Feb 3.

We lost highly touted OL Eric Mack to Auburn Tuesday. Stud RB Marcus Lattimore could follow him there, he'll announce his decision on signing day. I hate tigers.

Likewise. I won't believe Lattimore is going to the Barn til I see him sign the LOI.

Bama has another great class. 2011 should be Saban's best one yet.

Skinny
02-03-2010, 06:03 AM
Lattimore is a Gamecock. This class turned out better than expected. Not overly sexy but just what the doctor ordered.

broncophan
02-03-2010, 06:37 AM
Well.....the buckeyes are having a "down" year for recruits.Not sure if that really means anything though.........
I guess you can't have a top 10 recruiting class every year.

I heard a top offensive lineman from Minnesota is leaning toward Ohio St. though.......we could use some help on the line......will find out today

GO BUCKS....

Buff
02-03-2010, 11:12 AM
The Buffs class is depressing. I've never been so uninterested in nat'l signing day.

CoachChaz
02-03-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm shocked. A&M has the 15th ranked class. probably could have been better had a certain 4-star LB not backed out this morning and went to Oklahoma.

But, we got 4 stud OL and alot of defensive help to go with our new DC. Future could be looking better.

Buff
02-03-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm shocked. A&M has the 15th ranked class. probably could have been better had a certain 4-star LB not backed out this morning and went to Oklahoma.

But, we got 4 stud OL and alot of defensive help to go with our new DC. Future could be looking better.

You guys also got Mister Jones who is a local kid and was a CU commit until he realized what a **** up Hawkins has been.

CoachChaz
02-03-2010, 03:28 PM
You guys also got Mister Jones who is a local kid and was a CU commit until he realized what a **** up Hawkins has been.

Yeah...i saw that. Sad thing for the RB's is they wont see too uch PT playing behind our stud recruit from last year...Christine Michael.

844 yards, 5.1 ypc and 10 TD's as a freshman in a pass happy conference

OrangeHoof
02-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Recruiting is almost always a "rich get richer" story. It seems as if Florida-Texas are 1-2.

But it isn't what you do in February, it's what you do in the fall that matters. And once some of these kids realize they're going to be backups at a marquee school, a few will flee to lesser programs. Take, for example, a Texas signee who found himself stuck behind Colt McCoy and decided to transfer to Ole Miss - you may have heard of Jevan Snead.

CoachChaz
02-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Recruiting is almost always a "rich get richer" story. It seems as if Florida-Texas are 1-2.

But it isn't what you do in February, it's what you do in the fall that matters. And once some of these kids realize they're going to be backups at a marquee school, a few will flee to lesser programs. Take, for example, a Texas signee who found himself stuck behind Colt McCoy and decided to transfer to Ole Miss - you may have heard of Jevan Snead.

And now he's rated higher by some.

It happens, but when it comes to marquee names, it's typically to a lesser degree.

weazel
02-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Texas, Florida and Florida State are cleaning up on the 5 star recruits.
Seantrel Henderson still hasn't signed yet...

West
02-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Bama finishes 3rd on ESPN, 4th on Scout and 5th on Rivals. Not an overly sexy class like the past 2 for Saban but it is a class that filled needs in the secondary and some explosive playmakers on the offensive side of the ball.

Next year should be his best class yet.

CoachChaz
02-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Texas, Florida and Florida State are cleaning up on the 5 star recruits.
Seantrel Henderson still hasn't signed yet...

I saw that...he's probably planning some big signing party this evening.

Skinny
02-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Looks like Southern California for Henderson.

BroncoAV06
02-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Its nice to see the stars and ranked 1st and such but want to talk about a hit and miss game. Sure we will see a few blue chippers make an impact this year but it is down the line we will see the real impact.

UNM landed a 4 star guy that was headed to Tenn DT Calvin Smith. Thats one good thing siging day does is bring excitment and hope to programs heading into spring ball.

West
02-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Looks like Southern California for Henderson.

His dead beat dad has a lot to do with that.

weazel
02-04-2010, 01:35 PM
really, the big name signings are nice, but it really comes down to the program and coaching. How many 5 star guys you thing TCU and Boise State signed the last few years? Miami hasn't signed 5 star guys in a while and they are doing alright.

weazel
02-04-2010, 01:37 PM
His dead beat dad has a lot to do with that.

he seems like a "me" type of guy, wierd to see an offensive lineman to have that big of an ego...

West
02-04-2010, 02:12 PM
really, the big name signings are nice, but it really comes down to the program and coaching. How many 5 star guys you thing TCU and Boise State signed the last few years? Miami hasn't signed 5 star guys in a while and they are doing alright.

Disagree and that's a terrible example.

Look at the teams at the top of the rankings the past few years... Notice anything odd? They are all big time powerhouses with a big time winning resume. TCU and Boise are just in a conference full of retards. Its the battle of the retards for them.

EMB6903
02-04-2010, 02:46 PM

Ya CU's class looked promising in August.. Having Spond, and Mister Jones as verbals along with Hinder considering CU. Now? the state of the Buffs football program is an absolute joke.

Is there a worse playcaller then Hawkins at the collegiate level?

EMB6903
02-04-2010, 02:49 PM

TCU is in Texas. thats a goldmine as far as recruiting goes. They get premiere athletes regardless how many stars Rivals or Scout has on them.

There isnt a place in the nation that puts out more athletes then south Florida. So saying Miami doesnt get top recruits is crazy.

BroncoAV06
02-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Disagree and that's a terrible example.

Look at the teams at the top of the rankings the past few years... Notice anything odd? They are all big time powerhouses with a big time winning resume. TCU and Boise are just in a conference full of retards. Its the battle of the retards for them.

Yep Utah was a bunch of retards when they beat Bama. Or Bosie when they beat Oklahoma, etc..

West
02-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Yep Utah was a bunch of retards when they beat Bama. Or Bosie when they beat Oklahoma, etc..

A blind squirrell gets a nut every once and a while.

Consistently, the teams at the top of the recruiting rankings are the ones who win anything worth a damn.

BroncoAV06
02-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Give those teams a shot at the pie and see who keeps reaping those benifits.

EMB6903
02-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Who says Utah doesnt get solid recruits?

West
02-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Give those teams a shot at the pie and see who keeps reaping those benifits.

So you think TCU or Boise would have beat Bama this year? How about Utah beating UF the year before?

Skinny
02-07-2010, 11:45 AM
This is for you West. SEC Guy (http://thegame.podbean.com/2010/02/03/sec-guy-2-3-10/). Enjoy.

West
02-07-2010, 02:24 PM
I've heard it.... "You say tomato, I say socialism"

LMAO!!

Skinny
02-02-2011, 12:47 PM
National Signing Day 2011

Super stoked about this class coming in.
Particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

Anyone else following this today?

Buff
02-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Considering Dan Hawkins burned the CU program to the ground and we only had four committments when Embree took over in December, I'm pretty pleased with the class Embree and Biemiemy were able to salvage. Still, the effects of Hawkins inability to recruit talented players are going to be felt for a couple more years.

Did you guys hear about that Ohio St. recruit that got busted for fondling girls by pretending to measure them for ROTC uniforms? Sounds like a real go-getter.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-09-2011, 03:06 PM
First one under Vic/Gary - Ticket Replay a little down the page.

http://www.877theticket.com/#vmix_media_id=20776951

Skinny
02-05-2014, 06:58 AM
Yeah i'm a dork who religiously keeps tabs on this. Today's the day, #NSD14.

Hoping for some shockers.

At least following what's going on and who's signing where will keep my mind off the dreaded past weekend for awhile.

Buff
02-05-2014, 10:48 AM
Yeah i'm a dork who religiously keeps tabs on this. Today's the day, #NSD14.

Hoping for some shockers.

At least following what's going on and who's signing where will keep my mind off the dreaded past weekend for awhile.

I can't/won't get into recruiting anymore. I will check in on progress a few times throughout the offseason - but it became too disappointing as a Buffs fan. Seemed like the disappointment around the guys you missed out on always outweighed the excitement of the guys you landed. At least for me.

Skinny
02-05-2014, 01:59 PM
I can't/won't get into recruiting anymore. I will check in on progress a few times throughout the offseason - but it became too disappointing as a Buffs fan. Seemed like the disappointment around the guys you missed out on always outweighed the excitement of the guys you landed. At least for me.I know what you mean. There's been some really good talent slip out of state this year that South Carolina's staff has usually been able to land. It sucks even worse that they committed to Bama and Texas. Sill ended up with a solid class and a shocker commit in Blake McClain who had committed to Nebraska 4 days ago.

Dapper Dan
02-05-2014, 08:43 PM
From ESPN:

Rank Team Number of Recruits

1Alabama 27
2LSU 23
3Florida State 29
4Texas A&M 22
5Tennessee 36
6Florida 24
7Ohio State 23
8Auburn 24
9Georgia 21
10Miami (FL) 26
11Notre Dame 23
12Clemson 22
13Oklahoma 27
14USC 19
15Stanford 20
16Texas 23
17Ole Miss 26
18Michigan 16
19South Carolina 21
20Kentucky 29

21Arizona State 28
22Baylor 26
23Arizona 31
24Penn State 25
25Virginia 17
26UCLA 19
27Oregon 21
28Oklahoma State 29
29Michigan State 23
30Arkansas 24
31Virginia Tech 28
32North Carolina 23
33Missouri 29
34Wisconsin 26
35Texas Tech 27
36Mississippi State 23
37West Virginia 22
38North Carolina State 32
39Nebraska 25
40South Florida 28

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/classrankings

Dapper Dan
02-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Top 40, according to rivals.com. They rank all 125 teams.

#1 Alabama 26
#2 LSU 23
#3 Ohio State 23
#4 Florida State 29
#5 Tennessee 31
#6 Texas A&M 21
#7 Florida 24
#8 Georgia 20
#9 Auburn 23
#10 USC 19
#11 Notre Dame 23
#12 Miami (FL) 26
#13 Clemson 22
#14 Stanford 20
#15 Oklahoma 26
#16 South Carolina 21
#17 Kentucky 28
#18 UCLA 18
#19 Mississippi 25
#20 Texas 23
#21 Arizona State 26
#22 Michigan State 22
#23 North Carolina 22
#24 Penn State 25
#25 Virginia Tech 28
#26 Oregon 20
#27 Oklahoma State 27
#28 Arizona 28
#29 Arkansas 24
#30 North Carolina State 31
#31 Michigan 16
#32 Nebraska 24
#33 Wisconsin 26
#34 Baylor 26
#35 Missouri 28
#36 Washington 23
#37 Indiana 26
#38 West Virginia 22
#39 South Florida 28
#40 Virginia 17

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/teamrank/2014/all/all

Dapper Dan
02-05-2014, 09:09 PM
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/196/ck6s.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/5gck6sj)

Slick
02-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Tennessee did really well.

Dzone
02-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Stanford doesnt get the good skill position players. Thats not fair. They should let anyone matriculate there lol

Dapper Dan
02-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Tennessee did really well.

I'm happy with the players we got. It helped that we had scholarships left over. We got a shit-ton of players. We got a good RB that we needed. We got some big guys. It's a very diverse class. One guy was home-schooled. One guy is German. I like the guys who had fathers in the NFL. I have high expectations for them. One, being Dillon Bates. I think he'll be a solid LB. I can't remember which player it was, but Butch said the kid ran back to back 4.4 40s.

Here's the press conference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqMH3ISf5gE

Bronco9798
02-04-2015, 11:43 AM
I'm a huge Notre Dame fan and keeping an eye on the signings today.

Winter Garden (Fla.) West Orange four-star running back Dexter Williams has committed to Notre Dame.

The 6-0, 192-pound recruit chose the Irish over offers from Louisville, West Virginia, Florida, Miami, Auburn, Texas A&M, Georgia, Michigan, USC and others.

A key factor behind Williams' decision to play for the Irish was his relationship with Notre Dame running backs coach Tony Alford. The Irish assistant stayed on Williams since the offer was first extended in February. Even while Williams was committed to Miami, Alford never slowed his pursuit.

http://notredame.247sports.com/Article/BREAKING-Dexter-Williams-Commits-To-Notre-Dame-34501135

MOtorboat
02-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Notre Dame ever find a quarterback? I know they had one decommitment. I think the kid went to Alabama after a decomittment from Alabama to USC before that, or something like that.

Bronco9798
02-04-2015, 01:07 PM
http://notredame.247sports.com/Bolt/Brandon-Wimbush-Is-A-Special-Special-Young-Man-35381509

Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly couldn't help but gush about his new signal-caller in Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peters Prep four-star Brandon Wimbush.

Shortly after the 6-2, 205-pounder signed with Notre Dame earlier today, Kelly spoke highly of Wimbush in an interview with Jack Nolan of UND.com.

"Brandon Wimbush is a special, special young man," said Kelly of Wimbush. "What we love about him is obviously he has great arm strength. He’s got escapability. He’s got a calm and that cool, collected presence about him. He’s never rattled. He throws the ball on time and he’s got a great rocker delivery. He’s going to be a guy that’s a dual threat. We like his ability to keep his eyes downfield, but if he needs to run the football he’s a big kid. He led his team to a state championship. He’s a great student, a great leader. You can’t say enough good things about him."

Completed 191 of 264 passes for 3,151 yards, 36 touchdowns and four interceptions as a senior.

http://notredame.247sports.com/Bolt/This-Is-The-Best-Tight-End-In-The-Country-35379791

Las Vegas Bishop Gorman four-star tight end Aliz'e Jones signed his letter of intent with Notre Dame this afternoon.

During a sit down interview with Jack Nolan of UND.com, Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly raved about the 6-4, 218-pound U.S. Army All-American.

"Special player. He can do it all," said Kelly on Jones. "Aliz'e is going to be a vertical threat. A guy that can make all the catches. A great in-line player and a guy we can flex out. He's going to be tough and physical. We're going to develop him into one of the elite tight ends in the country. From our standpoint, this is the best tight end in the country. He makes all the plays."

As a senior, Jones caught 41 passes for 930 yards and 13 touchdowns.

Dapper Dan
02-04-2015, 01:20 PM
Go Vols!

Northman
02-04-2015, 02:16 PM
UVA has signed a couple of good LB's already.

Dominic Sheppard- http://247sports.com/Player/Dominic-Sheppard-29154
Jahvoni Simmons- http://247sports.com/Player/Jahvoni-Simmons-20965

Targets:

Gary Jennings WR- http://247sports.com/Player/Gary-Jennings-38452

Dapper Dan
02-04-2015, 03:11 PM
I saw a player listed as QB-DT. If that freaks anyone else out, like me, it means Quarterback - Dual Threat.

Slick
02-04-2015, 03:13 PM
I saw a player listed as QB-DT. If that freaks anyone else out, like me, it means Quarterback - Dual Threat.

Hopefully he signs with Notre Dame. 9798 loves those type of QBs.

Buff
02-04-2015, 03:14 PM

I figured it meant they were recruiting a Jared Lorenzen type.

Bronco9798
02-04-2015, 03:16 PM

That would be FAT-QB

Dapper Dan
02-04-2015, 03:21 PM

That was my first thought, but the dude was 6'3" 188. I was going to see what kind of high school uses a DT that small.

Dapper Dan
02-04-2015, 03:22 PM
Hopefully he signs with Notre Dame. 9798 loves those type of QBs.

He's already committed to the University of Tennessee.

MOtorboat
02-04-2015, 03:45 PM
That was my first thought, but the dude was 6'3" 188. I was going to see what kind of high school uses a DT that small.

8-man.

MOtorboat
02-04-2015, 04:40 PM
Illinois has signed Jeff George, Jr.

Dapper Dan
02-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Is he any relation to Jeff George?

Bronco9798
02-04-2015, 05:22 PM
Is he any relation to Jeff George?

You see that, Jr. at the end. That's a giveaway.

Dapper Dan
02-04-2015, 05:24 PM
You say that, Jr. at the end. That's a giveaway.

That means he's a junior college transfer

Bronco9798
02-04-2015, 05:25 PM
That means he's a junior college transfer

Sure, you keep on believing that, lol...Yes it is the son of Jeff George.

Dapper Dan
02-05-2015, 06:55 PM
I'm a bit surprised Tennessee got a top 5 class without an Offensive Coordinator. They just named one today.

pulse
02-07-2015, 08:38 PM
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/196/ck6s.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/5gck6sj)

To my knowledge, recruiting scouts and analysts did not have a star rating system when Peyton Manning came out of school. However, he was the #1 rated QB by most scouts and analysts and some had him as the #1 overall player with Hines Ward at #2 or vice versa. So Peyton would just as well also be counted a five-star player. Of course, both of those dudes actually lived up to their potential in the NFL. I don't know if I can say the same for Andre Caldwell. But do keep in mind, the star rating system is not intended for the pros, it is meant as an evaluation for high school talent transitioning to the collegiate level; the purpose of which is to determine degree of "readyness" and the likelihood of impact a high school player will have their first year on the field, not necessarily what they will evolve into four and five years later. I see people bashing these rating systems all the time based on how many two and three star athletes are playing in the NFL. A lot changes in the three, four and even five years while an athlete is in college. Some players continue developing, and often time, great coaching molds great players. On the other hand, talent declines. Some players devolve. Other suffer career ending injuries. Any study that holds a rating system for high school football talent accountable as far as professional sports is concerned is kind of flawed in and of itself.

Dapper Dan
02-07-2015, 11:33 PM
To my knowledge, recruiting scouts and analysts did not have a star rating system when Peyton Manning came out of school. However, he was the #1 rated QB by most scouts and analysts and some had him as the #1 overall player with Hines Ward at #2 or vice versa. So Peyton would just as well also be counted a five-star player. Of course, both of those dudes actually lived up to their potential in the NFL. I don't know if I can say the same for Andre Caldwell. But do keep in mind, the star rating system is not intended for the pros, it is meant as an evaluation for high school talent transitioning to the collegiate level; the purpose of which is to determine degree of "readyness" and the likelihood of impact a high school player will have their first year on the field, not necessarily what they will evolve into four and five years later. I see people bashing these rating systems all the time based on how many two and three star athletes are playing in the NFL. A lot changes in the three, four and even five years while an athlete is in college. Some players continue developing, and often time, great coaching molds great players. On the other hand, talent declines. Some players devolve. Other suffer career ending injuries. Any study that holds a rating system for high school football talent accountable as far as professional sports is concerned is kind of flawed in and of itself.

No clue. I posted that a long time ago.

pulse
02-09-2015, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I just noticed you posted that last year on National Signing Day. I guess my point applies to any year however.