PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Ink Nolan

Magnificent Seven
02-02-2009, 05:48 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Head Coach Josh McDaniels made another step in assembling his coaching staff for the 2009 season. Monday the Broncos officially announced the hiring of Defensive Coordinator Mike Nolan.

After 17 years, Nolan is returning to Mile High City. It's only fitting that Nolan's latest coaching stop will be with the same team where he got his NFL start -- he served as the linebackers coach for Denver from 1987-1992 under former head coach Dan Reeves.

He guided the Broncos’ special teams and linebackers from 1987-92, contributing to a pair of trips to the Super Bowl (XXII and XXIV) as well as an appearance in the AFC Championship Game in 1991.

McDaniels wasted little time in bringing in the former San Francisco 49ers head man as defensive coordinator. He spent the majority of the last four seasons as head coach of the 49ers but much of Nolan's experience is as a defensive coordinator.

Nolan was the defensive coordinator for the New York Giants from 1993-96 before assuming that role with the Washington Redskins from 1997-99 and the New York Jets in 2000. He coached the Baltimore Ravens’ wide receivers in 2001 before serving as the Ravens’ defensive coordinator from 2002-04. Before coaching in the NFL, Nolan spent six seasons in the collegiate ranks, beginning as a graduate assistant at his alma mater, Oregon. He moved to Stanford to become the Cardinal’s linebackers/defensive backs coach from 1982-83. He maintained the same role with Rice from 1984-85.

Nolan has helped seven playoff appearances as a coach, including four postseason appearances as defensive coordinator. He has instructed two Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year winners and three AP NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year winners.

McDaniels tabbed Nolan for his versatility on the defensive side of the ball.

"Mike Nolan is somebody who has had the opportunity to work in both a 3-4 and a 4-3 system," McDaniels said. "His flexibility is something that I think is very desirable. He is versatile as a coach. I've coached against him a number of times."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8807

underrated29
02-02-2009, 05:54 PM
i thought we already did this?

Magnificent Seven
02-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Personally, I'm glad that he is with Broncos and I can tell that Coach Josh McDaniel is working harder to grab some good coaches. I am curious to see what happen next. Sign with Julius Peppers?

Magnificent Seven
02-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Personally, I'm glad that he is with Broncos and I can tell that Coach Josh McDaniel is working harder to grab some good coaches. I am curious to see what happen next. Sign with Julius Peppers?

Trade someone for Steelers' James Harrison? :D

TXBRONC
02-02-2009, 05:57 PM
i thought we already did this?

I think it was done last week. Now if you're meaning that someone started a thread with this as the topic I don't remember.

Davii
02-02-2009, 06:05 PM
I think it was done last week. Now if you're meaning that someone started a thread with this as the topic I don't remember.

I think the deal was done, but there was no ink on paper yet.

Fan in Exile
02-02-2009, 06:09 PM

The date on the article at the website is from last week.

G_Money
02-02-2009, 06:10 PM
We tattooed Nolan?

Sweet.

He should flash this at his first press conference:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2182/1595568208_df313dee10.jpg?v=0

Since he likely won't be fired after one year like the last coupla guys, he can afford to get tatted up, I guess.

~G

TXBRONC
02-02-2009, 06:10 PM

The article is dated January 26th.

Magnificent Seven
02-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Yeah, they were interested in Nolan and they were negotiating with Nolan. Now, Broncos signed with Nolan. It is an official that Nolan is Broncos' defensive coordinator.

Skinny
02-02-2009, 06:20 PM
He was a WR coach in Baltimore??

Things that make you go hmmm.

Fan in Exile
02-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Yeah, they were interested in Nolan and they were negotiating with Nolan. Now, Broncos signed with Nolan. It is an official that Nolan is Broncos' defensive coordinator.

Which is exactly what the article said happened when it was published last monday.

Magnificent Seven
02-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Which is exactly what the article said happened when it was published last monday.

No one haven't posted this article. I tried to find it on here and couldn't find one. I thought I could share it with y'all.

G_Money
02-02-2009, 06:46 PM
He was a WR coach in Baltimore??

Things that make you go hmmm.

Yeah, he came in a year early. Basically Marvin wasn't gone yet but he kept interviewing, so when Nolan came available they hired him and shoved him on the staff for a year before Lewis left. Nice forward thinking, there.

~G