PDA

View Full Version : Woody: Sunday's winner going to Super Bowl

MOtorboat
12-14-2011, 10:15 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_19542791

Woody Paige: Sunday's Patriots-Broncos game will decide AFC

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post

The winner of the Broncos-Patriots game on Sunday will play in the Super Bowl.

That prophecy may seem preposterous because the Patriots are last in the NFL in both passing and total defense, and the Broncos are 31st in passing and 23rd overall on offense .

But the Patriots have Tom Terrific, the Broncos Tim Tremendous; Bill Belichick and John Fox already have coached against each other in the Super Bowl; the Patriots averaged 34.8 points in their past five games, and the Broncos have allowed 15 or fewer points in five of their past eight games.

BroncoStud
12-14-2011, 10:22 AM
:laugh::laugh:

I think we would be the least talented roster to ever make a Super Bowl... Can't think of one with less off the top of my head.

Northman
12-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Sometimes Woody leaves me scratching my head. New England isnt even the best team in the AFC.

wayninja
12-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Sometimes Woody leaves me scratching my head. New England isnt even the best team in the AFC.

How can they be? We are in the AFC.

MasterShake
12-14-2011, 10:32 AM
In lieu of the "Nononono" cat, I'll just use this instead:

FshkO8HqQ10

I'm thrilled about this season, and beating the Pats would be huge but lets not get crazy here. The only game that will decide if anyone is going to the Superbowl is the AFC Championship game.

HammeredOut
12-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Somebody put to much Bailey's into woody's coffee this morning.

I believe we will be playing either Pittsburger or Baltimore in the playoffs if we make it, most likely Baltimore because they are 4-0 in the division. I think the Pats take the first round bye. I honestly think it will be Brady vs Rodgers in the superbowl this year. Both offenses can put up big numbers. The only way to beat either team is to keep pace offensively. Its surreal as to how much points they put up, with no real answer week in and week out as to how to stop it. I do think the Packers will repeat because of the defensive edge.

This time around, I think Brady burns us even though he has a negative record against us. The only way to beat the Pats this week is to do what Belicheck invites every coach to do, and that to run the ball on him. He will flat out tell anybody that he is willing to give up the 100 yard runner, aslong as he shuts down the passing game. Patrick Chung is injured, and they now have offensive guys like J.Edelman filling in at DB. The DB core is thin this week, but it shouldn't matter much because of our running game. This game really shouldn't be that close in terms of score, we will need to put up over 30 to win. It is possible, I do foresee Brady getting lit up Blindside by Von Miller.

claymore
12-14-2011, 10:57 AM
I think its more accurate to say the loser of Sunday's game ISNT going to the Super Bowl. :D

Dzone
12-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Long time ago, being on the cover of SI was a really big deal..not so much anymore. There used to be a SI cover jynx also. Hope not.
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn11/malibubluff/tebowcover-1.jpg

BORDERLINE
12-14-2011, 11:29 AM
The Ravens and Steelers are ELITE teams. The AFC Playoffs will not be easy for anybody to just dominate. And then whoever reaches the SB has their work cut out for them with GB.

But I'm done doubting The Broncos, when they say we can't, WE DO.

I'm not getting my hopes up because IMO this has been a success of a season already. Let's soak up all this Mile High Magic and enjoy the rest of the year

rcsodak
12-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Woody sure is going out on a limb....

....since NE is considered a favorite to win the AFC. :rolleyes:

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Cugel
12-14-2011, 11:57 AM
People forget that Woody's job is to be an idiot who says stupid things to provoke comment. Jeff Legwold is the serious Post Broncos beat writer. He covers actual news while Woody smokes a big spliff and then writes down whatever inane thoughts enter his tiny head.

It's NOT meant to be taken seriously. Not even Woody takes the stuff he writes seriously. He said as much to Shanahan years ago when Shanahan objected to Woody about something he wrote. He writes the off-the-cuff fluff pieces. The other writers write the serious Broncos news.

As for who is favored to win the AFC that would be either Pittsburgh or Baltimore. The Pats defense isn't really good enough. The COULD theoretically have a couple of good games from their defense at home in the playoffs and that might be enough to get to the SB. That happened after all to the Colts the year they won the SB. Defense got hot at the end of the season and that was just enough for Peyton Manning to win a championship.

But, Aaron Rogers or Drew Brees would make mince-meat of the Pats' secondary if they got there this year. As for the Broncos. Not a chance in Hell. Not every team in the playoffs is going to run out of bounds and throw the game away in the last 2 minutes.

There's just a limit to how many opponents will make incredibly stupid plays to lose games they have completely won in the last 2 minutes. :ranger:

vhatever
12-14-2011, 12:16 PM
If we make the superbowl this year I'll have to find a local church and get baptized.

TimHippo
12-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Why don't you concentrate on making the Playoffs, Playoff (Jim Mora inflection) first, Woody.

MOtorboat
12-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Why don't you concentrate on making the Playoffs, Playoff (Jim Mora inflection) first, Woody.

I don't think Woody is on the team.

NightTerror218
12-14-2011, 12:38 PM
The Ravens and Steelers are ELITE teams. The AFC Playoffs will not be easy for anybody to just dominate. And then whoever reaches the SB has their work cut out for them with GB.

I'm not getting my hopes up because IMO this has been a success of a season already. Let's soak up all this Mile High Magic and enjoy the rest of the year

They are elite, but I think Steelers are trending down. Steel curtain getting old and I have not seen any younger players stepping in there yet.

TimHippo
12-14-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't think Woody is on the team.

Yes he is. He's backup to Skip Bayless.

Cugel
12-14-2011, 01:10 PM
They are elite, but I think Steelers are trending down. Steel curtain getting old and I have not seen any younger players stepping in there yet.

They might not be AS good as their championship years but they are certainly better than the Broncos at virtually every position. Ben Roethlisberger is NOT "trending down", their WRs are better than ours, and their defense better too and certainly good enough to stop the Broncos.

weazel
12-14-2011, 01:17 PM
I think this team would have a chance against the Steelers... I think the Ravens would own us.

Chef Zambini
12-14-2011, 01:18 PM
woody being woody.
If the broncos do manage to beat the pats, what sort of team can beat them?
Its a compelling arguement!
I continue to have my doubts, even in the face of all this TEBOW MAGIC ! I remeber winning 6 in a row with JMCD at the helm and everyone, including ME searching the web for hotel rooms for the superbowl.
and then after just ONE LOSS, to the ravens, realizing that the broncos would be LUCKY just to win 3 more games that season !
I can only allow myself to take on each game with an open mind and wait for the 4th quarter miracle moments to develop.
Meanwhile I continue to admire the REST OF THE TEAM, that plays excellent defense, runs the ball, makes grreat plays on special teams and continues to believe and perform in the face of adversity.

Cugel
12-14-2011, 01:32 PM
At least you are dealing in reality. Personally I was expecting the team to crash and burn in 2009 because the first 6 wins were lucky flukes like the "Immaculate Deflection."

I don't think the Broncos are going to implode and lose their last 3 but I do think they will come back down to earth when teams stop throwing away the game to the Broncos in the last 2 minutes.

BORDERLINE
12-14-2011, 03:53 PM

That's what most said about them in the first game of the year and then they came back with a vengeance. The Steelers and there fans are lucky SOB's. With Mike Tomlin leadership and Big Ben's heart the Steelers ain't no one to play with.

What I like about the match up with them and the Ravens or Texans defense for that matter is that we have guys like Willis and Tebow that sack up and play Hard to counter whatever will be thrown at us. I really think if we can get a top tier TE a Gronk/Graham type of guy we would be CRAZY to defend.

wayninja
12-14-2011, 03:58 PM
I think this team would have a chance against the Steelers... I think the Ravens would own us.

I agree except Flacco can be vary bi-polar. It all depends on if he can get it done and not make mistakes against our not-so-bad defense.

broncophan
12-14-2011, 05:39 PM

The steelers are 10-3 and have won 4 in a row.....lol...how is that trending down....:confused:

FanInAZ
12-14-2011, 06:59 PM

I wouldn't rule out Houston being a dark horse in the AFC. After all, they are the ones currently sitting in the 1st seed & have the conferences longest active winning streak (7 games) http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=conf&season=2011-REG&split=Overall. Yes, they do have a lot of injuries on offense. However...

Defensive overhaul carries Texans to first playoff berth

Matt Schaub, Matt Leinart, Mario Williams and Andre Johnson have all missed significant time for the Texans in 2011.

Normally, those losses would derail a season. But the Texans have not only prevailed, they have enjoyed unprecedented success, winning their first division title and clinching the first playoff berth in franchise history. What's carried them through injury after injury is a fierce, well-disciplined defense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8250cba9/article/defensive-overhaul-carries-texans-to-first-playoff-berth

Also, they have a run heavy offense that gives them a better chance to succeed no matter who their QB is.

NightTerror218
12-14-2011, 07:18 PM
That's what most said about them in the first game of the year and then they came back with a vengeance. The Steelers and there fans are lucky SOB's. With Mike Tomlin leadership and Big Ben's heart the Steelers ain't no one to play with.

What I like about the match up with them and the Ravens or Texans defense for that matter is that we have guys like Willis and Tebow that sack up and play Hard to counter whatever will be thrown at us. I really think if we can get a top tier TE a Gronk/Graham type of guy we would be CRAZY to defend.

We have Orange Julious, who need to learn how to block. I cant wait till we get more of him on the field and have a big catching TE. I see a lot of teams have the TE throw a small block and go out for a screen and get him. We dont have that play.

Medford Bronco
12-14-2011, 09:02 PM
:laugh::laugh:

I think we would be the least talented roster to ever make a Super Bowl... Can't think of one with less off the top of my head.

The 1979 Rams and their 9-7 record with Vince Ferragamo at QB. Vince had a QB rating of 49 that season

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FerrVi00.htm

Medford Bronco
12-14-2011, 09:03 PM
I wouldn't rule out Houston being a dark horse in the AFC. After all, they are the ones currently sitting in the 1st seed & have the conferences longest active winning streak (7 games) http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=conf&season=2011-REG&split=Overall. Yes, they do have a lot of injuries on offense. However...

Also, they have a run heavy offense that gives them a better chance to succeed no matter who their QB is.

If they had Matt Schaub I would agree. I cant see TJ Yates leading them there. Cincy puked that game last week to them... It was awful.

BORDERLINE
12-14-2011, 09:56 PM
We have Orange Julious, who need to learn how to block. I cant wait till we get more of him on the field and have a big catching TE. I see a lot of teams have the TE throw a small block and go out for a screen and get him. We dont have that play.

speaking of Julius is he injured or just not getting the shot to play??

MasterShake
12-15-2011, 11:41 AM
speaking of Julius is he injured or just not getting the shot to play??

I think they are just having him sit and learn, I don't think he is injured.

Anyway, back to the playoff scenarios. If we can pull off a win against the Pats it will go a long way in showing what type of playoff team we could be. Most scenarios have us against Pitt at home for the Wild Card round, then facing Houston who would have the #2 seed. I think we match up well against both Pitt and Houston and actually have very similar types of teams. It will be pandemonium with a win Sunday, and even I will start having pipe dreams even more so of a deep playoff run...

Ravage!!!
12-15-2011, 12:26 PM

Getting a TE of that level would help ANY team, but would absolutely give this offense a HUGE HUGE boost.

Joel
12-16-2011, 08:15 AM
I think its more accurate to say the loser of Sunday's game ISNT going to the Super Bowl. :D
The AFC elite is much better than the rest of the Conference, including NE. Pitts 3 losses are to the Ravens and Texans (when they had Schaub.) Houstons are to NO, the Ravens and Oakland (whom they beat if Schaub makes an easy run into the end zone on the last play instead of throwing a pick.) Baltimores are somewhat inexplicable; how does a team that beat Pitt TWICE AND beat Houston lose to Tennessee, Seattle and Cincy?

If defence wins championships you have to like the Ravens, Steelers and Texans over just about everyone else, including the Packers. I'd bet on the Texans to win through defence and their QB just managing the game if they still had Schaub, but as it is Flacco is more likely to get that honor. Denver or NE getting through Houston and Pitt/Baltimore to face the Pack (assuming no one beats them first) is a rather ludicrous suggestion.

CasualFanatic
12-16-2011, 03:17 PM
New to the forum and no NFL expert, but am interested in responses to the following thoughts. I just watched the hit on Colt McCoy that Harrison is being suspended for. Question: Would this hit have resulted in a penalty/suspension if the quarterback in question had been Tebow? If so, then the implication is that aggressively tackling the quarterback is forbidden under any circumstances, even if the qb is running outside of the pocket. If this is in fact the case, then I submit that Tim Tebow will be unstoppable in the weeks and years to come. He can't be brought down with arm tackles and harder hits will consistently result in major penalties. (That is, if the league treats Timmy like any other quarterback). I hope the Denver coaches are thinking along these lines and speaking with the officials prior to upcoming games.

Joel
12-16-2011, 03:40 PM
New to the forum and no NFL expert, but am interested in responses to the following thoughts. I just watched the hit on Colt McCoy that Harrison is being suspended for. Question: Would this hit have resulted in a penalty/suspension if the quarterback in question had been Tebow? If so, then the implication is that aggressively tackling the quarterback is forbidden under any circumstances, even if the qb is running outside of the pocket. If this is in fact the case, then I submit that Tim Tebow will be unstoppable in the weeks and years to come. He can't be brought down with arm tackles and harder hits will consistently result in major penalties. (That is, if the league treats Timmy like any other quarterback). I hope the Denver coaches are thinking along these lines and speaking with the officials prior to upcoming games.
I haven't seen the hit so I can't comment on it specifically, but my impression is that, in general, the League is more permissive of savage hits against QBs clearly acting as runners rather than simply passers flushed out of the pocket and trying to avoid a sack and/or find an outlet receiver. In general, runners are left to fend for themselves; none of the rules about defenseless players that apply to passers and receivers seem to apply to runners (a running back focused on the QB as he takes a handoff is pretty defenseless, too, but blowing one up is just a great play to force a fumble.) Once a QB becomes a runner he's as much on his own as any other runner, similar to the way a QB diving head first is fair game but hitting one who's sliding is a penalty.

tebowtime5502
12-16-2011, 07:27 PM
I love Woody to death, but he seems to pop a lot of pain pills.