PDA

View Full Version : Any thing new on Americans being able to get into Canada?

Requiem / The Dagda
10-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Thinking about going to Canada (since it's a skip and a jump) from where I'm at right now for a couple of days to enjoy some time with friends. Do we need passports yet (I know they passed something saying we would need them eventually) or not? If not, what identification should I bring?

SR
10-09-2007, 09:33 PM
I know for a fact you need a passport to get in to Mexico. Last time I went to Canada (2003) I didn't need a passport, just a photo ID and my birth certificate. I'm not sure if you can get away with that anymore.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-09-2007, 09:39 PM
I know for a fact you need a passport to get in to Mexico. Last time I went to Canada (2003) I didn't need a passport, just a photo ID and my birth certificate. I'm not sure if you can get away with that anymore.

Thanks. I talked to my friends who went there on a skateboarding trip and they said all they needed was a license, state ID or a birth certificate or something to prove existence. I'm good to go, but if it's after the new year, I need a passport. I found a cheap hotel, if me and my friend split it would be 75 bucks for three days and two nights there. How awesome is that? Throw in 15-20 bucks for gas, and then bring some other cash and you have a vacation for under $250 bucks. That's a deal!

SR
10-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks. I talked to my friends who went there on a skateboarding trip and they said all they needed was a license, state ID or a birth certificate or something to prove existence. I'm good to go, but if it's after the new year, I need a passport. I found a cheap hotel, if me and my friend split it would be 75 bucks for three days and two nights there. How awesome is that? Throw in 15-20 bucks for gas, and then bring some other cash and you have a vacation for under $250 bucks. That's a deal!

I used to go to Toronto a couple of times per year for hockey tournaments. It's a blast up there. We got treated like crap a couple of times, but other than that it was a blast.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-09-2007, 10:04 PM
I used to go to Toronto a couple of times per year for hockey tournaments. It's a blast up there. We got treated like crap a couple of times, but other than that it was a blast.

Yeah, I wonder if there will be any local hockey going on there if and when we go. Hockey in Minnesota (we just drive to Moorhead 10 minutes away across the river) to go watch their HS hockey and it's nuts. It is religion to these people.

SR
10-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I wonder if there will be any local hockey going on there if and when we go. Hockey in Minnesota (we just drive to Moorhead 10 minutes away across the river) to go watch their HS hockey and it's nuts. It is religion to these people.

There should be some hockey going on right now. My ex girlfriend's little brother started AAA a couple of weeks ago and they play Canadian teams, so I'm sure there will be something going on up there.

Javalon
10-10-2007, 03:23 AM

You might want to check when your friends last went up there. I believe the new passport requirements started in January of this year. I know it includes Mexico, even on cruises now, and I assume it includes Canada.

I'd hate for you to get up there and be turned away at the door.

Nomad
10-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Yes, you need a passport,unless you go to the International Peace Garden then there you will not need one. I was going to take the kids to some waterpark in Canada but find out we all needed passports and it would take 3-6 months to get them. I looked it up on the website (forgot the name)also. And if you have any criminal background make sure you read the rules getting into Canada.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-10-2007, 03:24 PM
You might want to check when your friends last went up there. I believe the new passport requirements started in January of this year. I know it includes Mexico, even on cruises now, and I assume it includes Canada.

I'd hate for you to get up there and be turned away at the door.

It was just this summer, and they didn't need passports. I just read that if you're visiting by air, you need one - but if you're visiting by land - you don't need one, and it won't be figured out for a year or so.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-10-2007, 03:43 PM
Thinking about going to Canada (since it's a skip and a jump) from where I'm at right now for a couple of days to enjoy some time with friends. Do we need passports yet (I know they passed something saying we would need them eventually) or not? If not, what identification should I bring?

According to this, you are ok without one - HAVE FUN :elefant:

http://gocanada.about.com/b/a/257106.htm

underrated29
10-10-2007, 03:47 PM
OK you are hearing it from the horses mouth. Its my job to know this.

you ONLY need a passport if you are traveling out of the country by AIR!

or if you go to south america,europe,australia etc.

CRUISES DO NOT REQUIRE PASSPORTS if they are round trip US. unless you are traveling to one of the above countries/continents.

Further clarification is that mexico,alaska,canada,caribbean,panama canal departing and arriving in us cities DO NOT NEED PASSPORTS! until '08

PASSPORTS WILL BE REQUIRED FOR ALL TRAVEL OUTSIDE THE US STARTING 1/1/08. so if you leave the us before 1/08 and come back after 1/08 you will not be allowed to reenter unless you have a passport.

SO DREAM, you are perfectly fine with valid US issued id or birth certificate as long as you are not flying in or out of the US. Which i assume you are not.

hope that clears it all up for everyone.

broncos9697
10-10-2007, 04:01 PM

you need your birth cift. to get back into the usa I know that for sure...

Nomad
10-10-2007, 04:29 PM
ODD! My wife received an email from MAFB officials saying we did but this was at the beginning of 2007.:noidea: Oh well, maybe next year we'll hit the waterpark. We'll get passports anyway to be safe!

underrated29
10-10-2007, 04:39 PM
ODD! My wife received an email from MAFB officials saying we did but this was at the beginning of 2007.:noidea: Oh well, maybe next year we'll hit the waterpark. We'll get passports anyway to be safe!

get your passports now! The expected wait time after this next month is going to be rediculously long.

Nomad you are somewhat right and wrong (or the people who told you). Earlier this year like january '07 and the 4 months predating that, sept,oct,nov,dec. It was required to have a passport, it was then pushed back from january '07 to jan 20 '07. Then the passport agencies and co. got so backed up that they pushed it back for a full year until 2008. Thus where we stand presently. As of now everything is a go for 2008 passports being required.

Escobar
10-10-2007, 06:14 PM
dude, how are u so smart about this undderated?

Nomad
10-10-2007, 08:42 PM
get your passports now! The expected wait time after this next month is going to be rediculously long.

Nomad you are somewhat right and wrong (or the people who told you). Earlier this year like january '07 and the 4 months predating that, sept,oct,nov,dec. It was required to have a passport, it was then pushed back from january '07 to jan 20 '07. Then the passport agencies and co. got so backed up that they pushed it back for a full year until 2008. Thus where we stand presently. As of now everything is a go for 2008 passports being required.

Hey thanks for all the info. We're stationed at Minot AFB which is an hr away from Canada, but we're in the process of getting passports!

SR
10-10-2007, 10:36 PM
dude, how are u so smart about this undderated?

I'm guessing he either works for TSA, US Customs, or Homeland Security.

Escobar
10-11-2007, 12:21 PM

lmao!!!

-------

underrated29
10-11-2007, 12:30 PM

"and the answer is.."

ENHHH!! Nope. i am neither of the above, but like i said it is my job to know all this stuff. Thats how i know it all. I got two sides, one weird, crazy side, which you see mostly here, and then my professional business side, in which i am one of the best in the field.

underrated29
10-11-2007, 12:34 PM
speaking of TSA though, can you believe those commies, i came throught the airport with an almost empty thing of toothpaste, and i mean, it would probably allow 5-10 more toothbrushes full, before it was gone.

the tsa lady was like it over 3.oz i have to take it. I said yeah it was, but now there is probably less than 1/16th of an ounce left. Obviously it poses no threat. I said, do you want to take my dental floss? theres only about 2 feet left in there.

that pissed her off.

so she took my toothpaste and had extra securtiy come over and search me and all my stuff.

made me late, therefore i couldnt grab any food, and had to suffice with the pretzels on the plane for 3 hours.

Escobar
10-11-2007, 12:44 PM
speaking of TSA though, can you believe those commies, i came throught the airport with an almost empty thing of toothpaste, and i mean, it would probably allow 5-10 more toothbrushes full, before it was gone.

the tsa lady was like it over 3.oz i have to take it. I said yeah it was, but now there is probably less than 1/16th of an ounce left. Obviously it poses no threat. I said, do you want to take my dental floss? theres only about 2 feet left in there.

that pissed her off.

so she took my toothpaste and had extra securtiy come over and search me and all my stuff.

made me late, therefore i couldnt grab any food, and had to suffice with the pretzels on the plane for 3 hours.Your hiliarious dude, and you probably don't know it :D

im off to work, catch up with you lata, stay up.

underrated29
10-11-2007, 12:48 PM
good luck at work man.

stay up? if you mean like be back on the site after work hours are over, my home comp is down, so i can only get on here at work.

or if thats the new slang that i missed, peace.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-11-2007, 02:33 PM
So Underrated, if I drive to Canada in the spring time would I need a passport?

Just curious.

We have a tentative date on November 9 - 12, but I'd rather go enjoy Winnipeg when it's nicer outside. Although, I really want to go see some hockey. The Moose play two games in those four days. :cool:

Tned
10-11-2007, 02:36 PM
So Underrated, if I drive to Canada in the spring time would I need a passport?

Just curious.

We have a tentative date on November 9 - 12, but I'd rather go enjoy Winnipeg when it's nicer outside. Although, I really want to go see some hockey. The Moose play two games in those four days. :cool:

I'm sure you know, but they are making it easier and easier to get passports these days (assuming you don't have one). The post office here even takes your picture, where you used to have that done elsewhere and brought with you. Typically, there is someone there that knows the process and can walk you through.

underrated29
10-11-2007, 02:50 PM
yes dream, as of now any '08 travel outside the US, weather by land sea or air, will require a passport. Of course they could push it back again, but that doesnt seem to be the case, so yes you need one for spring'08.

and to follow up with what tned said. most major post offices will be able to get you a passport, but you need to show two things: (some require more, but most just need:)

1. birth certificate and I.D and a new passport photo, (some times an expired passport can suffice, but in most cases now they dont)

2. birthcertificate and ID and the form to be filled out.

If your major post office does not do passport photos which most do not, some walmarts and almost all super walmarts do them, aswell as rite aids and office depots. There are others out there, but those are the most common.

If for whatever reason you need one immediately you can have it expidited, but that requires an additional $60 i believe, and you would need to talk to me because there is something else you will need that i can give you.

or if you happen to have a passport agency itself locally, like we do here in colorado you can show up with the form, birth certificate and photo and get it back in about a week for no extra charge.

the post office wait is many many weeks, and the longer you wait, so does your time to get it back.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-11-2007, 02:59 PM
I read in an article the other day, the suspended the land travel requirements for needing a passport back until 2009, instead of January 1st of 2008.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-11-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm sure you know, but they are making it easier and easier to get passports these days (assuming you don't have one). The post office here even takes your picture, where you used to have that done elsewhere and brought with you. Typically, there is someone there that knows the process and can walk you through.

I'm going to get a passport regardless, but they cost quite a bit of cash that I cannot fork out yet.

Definitely want to study abroad next year!

underrated29
10-11-2007, 03:42 PM
I read in an article the other day, the suspended the land travel requirements for needing a passport back until 2009, instead of January 1st of 2008.

oh, i have yet to recieve that update, somone is slacking. any idea where you saw it?

underrated29
11-01-2007, 04:14 PM
******************NEW UPDATE*************************

Passports will NOT be required as of jan 1, 08. They have been pushed back again until sometime in mid summer '08. (and probably again,imo).

so Gov issued ID and/or Birth certificate will suffice for all travel needs for local north america and mexico/caribbean.

sorry couldnt update sooner, but hey, i gots me some work to do that comes first.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-01-2007, 04:19 PM
That's what I had read. . . thanks man. :)

underrated29
11-01-2007, 04:33 PM
That's what I had read. . . thanks man. :)

YEAH, i got it about the same time as we last had discussion about it, but been so busy lately, but thought i'd confirm what you had read...just in case anyone else hadnt seen it yet.

underrated29
03-21-2008, 12:53 PM
oh, once again been busy, but i meant to let you know this, but you were banned at the time.

The passport regualtions have been pushed back again until june of 2009. Like i said, a little old news, and some of you might already have heard that.....

Kapaibro
03-21-2008, 01:03 PM
I heard heading North helps! :D