PDA

View Full Version : Michael Phelps Caught Smoking Pot

Broncos Mtnman
02-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Millions and millions in endorsements, record setting Olympics and more fame than any 23-year-old athlete has ever known, and he risks all that for a cheap thrill on a bong.

Can you spell S-T-U-P-I-D?

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00025/phelps_header_0102_25557a.jpg

Phelps Calls Photo of Him Smoking Marijuana 'Regrettable'
Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. — Olympic great Michael Phelps has acknowledged "regrettable" behavior and "bad judgment" after a photo in a British newspaper showed him smoking marijuana.

In a statement released to The Associated Press, the swimmer who won a record eight gold medals at the Beijing Games conceded the authenticity of the exclusive picture published Sunday by the tabloid News of the World.

Phelps said: "I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment. I'm 23 years old and despite the successes I've had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/150832/14-times-Olympic-gold-medal-winner-Michael-Phelps-caught-with-bong-cannabis-pipe.html

SR
02-02-2009, 06:17 PM
I'll bet Dream is proud.

Magnificent Seven
02-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Everyone is not perfect. World, what do you expect?

gnomeflinger
02-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Not my choice in extracurricular activities, but sheesh. He didn't do this while training or performing. He didn't do this while endorsing anything. He did this as himself. Granted, it was pretty stupid to do this when a witness had a camera, but give the guy a break.

SR
02-02-2009, 06:40 PM
He is a sports icon. He's got more gold medals that some people have years behind them. He's a world sports champion and a role model for millions. He is an idiot for putting himself in this position.

Slick
02-02-2009, 06:42 PM
better he takes bong hits than drives drunk IMO. The thing is, it probably wasn't his first time, and it never got in the way of him accomplishing his goals.

This is purely my opinion, but I don't see the big deal.

Broncos Mtnman
02-02-2009, 06:44 PM
better he takes bong hits than drives drunk IMO. The thing is, it probably wasn't his first time, and it never got in the way of him accomplishing his goals.

This is purely my opinion, but I don't see the big deal.

Drinking is legal. Pot isn't. As far as it getting in the way of his goals, there are numerous ways to mask the traces of MJ, so that doesn't mean it was irrelevant.

I bet when he starts losing his multi-million dollar endorsements and possibly losing out on the 2012 Olympics, that he will see what the big deal is.

:coffee:

Thnikkaman
02-02-2009, 06:46 PM
He did it back in 04, and he owned up to it. I don't see him getting any less endorsements for it, just different endorsements.

But hey, when people need to feel better about themselves, they can always look down their noses at Phelps for having a good time. Hypocrites.

Broncos Mtnman
02-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Not my choice in extracurricular activities, but sheesh. He didn't do this while training or performing. He didn't do this while endorsing anything. He did this as himself. Granted, it was pretty stupid to do this when a witness had a camera, but give the guy a break.

How do you know he didn't do it while performing? There are many ways to mask MJ from showing up in drug tests. As far as your claim that he wasn't endorsing anything, he's currently endorsing many, many things. Subway, AT&T, and many others.

No breaks for being stupid.

Broncos Mtnman
02-02-2009, 06:49 PM
He did it back in 04, and he owned up to it. I don't see him getting any less endorsements for it, just different endorsements.

But hey, when people need to feel better about themselves, they can always look down their noses at Phelps for having a good time. Hypocrites.

Oh yeah, I feel really good about myself after an athlete does something stupid.

Get a clue.... :coffee:

Slick
02-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Drinking is legal. Pot isn't. As far as it getting in the way of his goals, there are numerous ways to mask the traces of MJ, so that doesn't mean it was irrelevant.

I bet when he starts losing his multi-million dollar endorsements and possibly losing out on the 2012 Olympics, that he will see what the big deal is.

I said "drives drunk" that isn't legal either but millions of Americans do it on a daily basis. I'm not going to argue with you here MTN, you have your opinion and I respect that. I was simply just stating mine.

Thnikkaman
02-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Oh yeah, I feel really good about myself after an athlete does something stupid.

Get a clue.... :coffee:

The tone and your creation of this thread say otherwise.

gnomeflinger
02-02-2009, 06:51 PM
True. I don't know he didn't do it whlie performing. However, I think that MJ would hinder performance rather than enhance. :whoknows:

My point was if he's going to do something stupid, don't do it with someone with a camera.

SR
02-02-2009, 06:52 PM

That's a pretty ******* stupid comment. If Jay Cutler was caught smoking a joint next week would it be okay then? Not likely.

Thnikkaman
02-02-2009, 07:08 PM
That's a pretty ******* stupid comment. If Jay Cutler was caught smoking a joint next week would it be okay then? Not likely.

He would submit to whatever punishment after the appeals, and we would move on.

People smoking pot doesn't bug me. Its about a big a deal as drinking to me, regardless of legality.

Besides, this picture of Phelps is from '04. He was 19/20. If you didn't do something that you think that you shouldn't have when you were that age, then good for you. Phelps could have said it was tobacco in that pipe, but he admitted he made a mistake. You couldn't have gotten Clinton to admit that. You couldn't get Bush to admit to doing coke. And who knows, maybe he will spin this into an anti-drugs promotion. I'm sure his agent is going to spin it that way.

So hey media, way to go lambasting a guy for doing something 5 years ago that may have had little to no impact with what he did in China last year.

dogfish
02-02-2009, 07:16 PM
and they say all stoners are slow and lazy. . . . :laugh:

Broncos Mtnman
02-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Besides, this picture of Phelps is from '04.

So hey media, way to go lambasting a guy for doing something 5 years ago that may have had little to no impact with what he did in China last year.

Either you're reading impaired or didn't read the article...

It was on November 6, weeks after his Beijing triumph, that 23-year-old Phelps surprised students at the University Of South Carolina in Columbia by showing up unannounced at a house party.

He was visiting Jordan Matthews, a girl he was secretly seeing who was a student there.

Our source revealed: “Michael came to visit Jordan but ended up just getting wasted every night.

“He arrived with a group of girls hanging all over him. Jaws hit the floor when he walked in. You don’t get many celebrities in Columbia, so when Phelps comes to your party it’s a very big deal.

Obnoxious

“He didn’t know many people so you’d think he’d be a little shy. But he was loud, obnoxious and slamming beers from the get-go.

“Every girl wanted a piece of him and every guy wanted to be his best buddy. He couldn’t get enough of all the attention.”

As he basked in his hero status, Phelps knocked back beers and shots of spirits. And when a student offered him the glass bong engraved with red writing, he did not hesitate, says our source.

The 6ft 4ins athlete, in a white T-shirt and navy cap worn back to front, clasped the device in his huge hands and inhaled deeply.

Our source said: “You could tell Michael had smoked before. He grabbed the bong and a lighter and knew exactly what to do.

“He looked just as natural with a bong in his hands as he does swimming in the pool. He was the gold medal winner of bong hits. Michael ended up getting a little paranoid, though, because before too long he looked like he was nervous and ran out of the place.”

This is POST Olympics, not something he did when he was a child.

Nice try... :coffee:

gnomeflinger
02-02-2009, 08:17 PM
At least he owned up to it.

MOtorboat
02-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Who the **** cares?

Seriously?

He's 23...he's virtually retired. WTF cares?

gnomeflinger
02-02-2009, 08:32 PM
People who need fillers in news stories; they care.

Watchthemiddle
02-02-2009, 08:53 PM

MO, didn't you realize that after a year on this board, some posters are PERFECT in every way and need to point out EVERYONE's bad decisions....unless their name is *cough cough jay cutler***

Watchthemiddle
02-02-2009, 08:54 PM

Got that right...more than some in real life or even on this make believe fantasy message board.

MOtorboat
02-02-2009, 08:56 PM
mtn_man is above all....he cares.....

MO, didn't you realize that after a year on this board, some posters are PERFECT in every way and need to point out EVERYONE's bad decisions....unless their name is *cough cough jay cutler***

I'll just say that I smoked a few joints when I was 23. Much less 23, with $20 mil in the bank, or whatever it is he has...and virtually retired. God forbid the man lights one up.

I'm not going to turn this into what I believe about Marijuana, but I'll just say, again, who cares?

gnomeflinger
02-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Got that right...more than some in real life or even on this make believe fantasy message board.

If you have something you'd like to get off your chest, the floor is yours. ;)

broncobryce
02-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm just glad people aren't following any of us around with a camera, god knows what they would catch some of us doing.....(I'm looking at you Clay!);)

Slick
02-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Don't trash Mtn for his opinion, disagree with it, but he's entitled to it whether we agree or not.

When I was 23 I was doing stupid shit on almost a daily basis. I can only imagine what a day in the life of Michael Phelps is like. None of us have ever walked in his shoes.

I will say this, I have been to Columbia, South Carolina many times, and I must say the campus scenery is strong, really strong. Maybe the strongest in the SEC next to Athens, Georgia.

I'm sure his squeeze was a winner.

Poet
02-02-2009, 09:18 PM

He won't lose that many endorsements. Kobe Bryant lost all of his for accused rape. Phelps got caught smoking pot.

Jay walking isn't legal and it's not a big deal. Smoking pot isn't a big deal.

He isn't going to miss out on the 2012 olympics.

But if he did, it wouldn't matter. He's the greatest Olympic athlete of all time. The poor smucks who would win there would always be in his shadow, it wouldn't mean that much because Phelps, the GOAT wouldn't have been there.

:lol::lol::lol:

gnomeflinger
02-02-2009, 09:20 PM
In a day or two, there will be some other controversy and his pot smoking will be no big deal.

Poet
02-02-2009, 09:21 PM
In a day or two, there will be some other controversy and his pot smoking will be no big deal.

I bet in two days Phelps starts smoking crack! :D

DenverBronkHoes
02-02-2009, 10:05 PM
the media rose him to a pedastil... He's just like half the americans in this country...

You gotta figure he decided the beer wasnt the way to go anymore....

Shout out to Michael. He should not be ashamed for being a more responsible party goer...

I havent read this thrwad, but anyone who rips the guy for using pot is wrong... now letting ics be taken is pretty brainless.... but by that time he was stoney balogna and prolly didnt give a shit......

Michael.... this next tube is for you buddy... u are great american... u are no less an american in my book. Keep smokin... party safe.... and win us more gold....

DenverBronkHoes
02-02-2009, 10:08 PM
and i dont wanna hear any role model shit... This guy deserves a private life. Role modeling is for parents.... its not for sports stars whos greatness makes them popular.. makes them some kind of perfect human....

i got a "roll" model.... his name is bob marley

gnomeflinger
02-02-2009, 10:09 PM
As long as he's not a danger to himself or anyone else, he can do whatever he wants. However, having a camera around was the stupid part. That's all I'm saying.

DenverBronkHoes
02-02-2009, 10:12 PM
the general idea about pot smokers is that ALL of them are lazt, economic blood suckers who dont do shit, dont contribute to society, and are a danger to our children......

im glad he does a few bong hits..... he has a right to. Hes commititing a victimless crime.

Hate a man for being himself.... Thats why i hated George Bush.... i guess its ok then

DenverBronkHoes
02-02-2009, 10:13 PM
suck on it trebeck

Slick
02-02-2009, 10:18 PM
One of these days the country will get over the fear of marijuana. Thank William Randolph Hearst and his false stories in the newspapers way back when no one cared if someone partook in the pastime.

I'd love to say some things about the War on Drugs, the cost to this country, the criminals that benefit from it, not the right forum, but we're kidding ourselves if we think it's a war we can win.

gnomeflinger
02-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Are you :bandit: tonight Hoes?

gnomeflinger
02-02-2009, 10:19 PM
One of these days the country will get over the fear of marijuana. Thank William Randolph Hearst and his false stories in the newspapers way back when no one cared if someone partook in the pastime.

I'd love to say some things about the War on Drugs, the cost to this country, the criminals that benefit from it, not the right forum, but we're kidding ourselves if we think it's a war we can win.

I saw a headline today that Mexico is winning the war on drugs. Are they really?

SR
02-02-2009, 10:24 PM
and i dont wanna hear any role model shit... This guy deserves a private life. Role modeling is for parents.... its not for sports stars whos greatness makes them popular.. makes them some kind of perfect human....

i got a "roll" model.... his name is bob marley

Who the **** are you? Charles Barkley?

Poet
02-02-2009, 10:26 PM

I would honestly half-ass agree with him. Athletes are not role models. Hell, most of them need role models.

Slick
02-02-2009, 10:27 PM
I saw a headline today that Mexico is winning the war on drugs. Are they really?

Hell no gnomey, not even close. Finding 10 people headless in the jungle happens about every two weeks. The Columbians have submarines. LMFAO, the Mexican Navy doesn't have submarines. It simply will never end, and all it is is a big waste of American tax dollars. If they let Phillip Morris package it, the country wouldn't need bailout packages.

SR
02-02-2009, 10:27 PM
I would honestly half-ass agree with him. Athletes are not role models. Hell, most of them need role models.

Before your time King. It was a reference to the commercials Chuck used to do in the early 90s when he was with the Phoenix Suns.

Poet
02-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Before your time King. It was a reference to the commercials Chuck used to do in the early 90s when he was with the Phoenix Suns.

Wow........he was a Sun when I was in the first grade.....

I feel old as hell.

SR
02-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Hell no gnomey, not even close. Finding 10 people headless in the jungle happens about every two weeks. The Columbians have submarines. LMFAO, the Mexican Navy doesn't have submarines. It simply will never end, and all it is is a big waste of American tax dollars. If they let Phillip Morris package it, the country wouldn't need bailout packages.

All I'll say is that we have a C-130 down there right now staging out of Curacao flying counter narcotics missions and they're moving a TON of weight. It's not all fruitless.

SR
02-02-2009, 10:29 PM

I feel old as hell.

You could probably find the commercials on youtube.

frauschieze
02-02-2009, 10:30 PM

I feel old as hell.

You are not old. Shut your mouth.

Poet
02-02-2009, 10:30 PM
You are not old. Shut your mouth.

I am ancient. Not like...Topscribe ancient, but old.

Slick
02-02-2009, 10:32 PM
All I'll say is that we have a C-130 down there right now staging out of Curacao flying counter narcotics missions and they're moving a TON of weight. It's not all fruitless.

I hear you SR, and I'm sure there's a lot of it that gets confiscated by your boys, but it will never stop. Ever. They'll continue to make money, and kill people who compete or get in their way. Personally I think it's a waste of time.

Poet
02-02-2009, 10:33 PM
I hear you SR, and I'm sure there's a lot of it that gets confiscated by your boys, but it will never stop. Ever. They'll continue to make money, and kill people who compete or get in their way. Personally I think it's a waste of time.

You used to move weight yourself, admit it!!!!

Slick
02-02-2009, 10:35 PM
You used to move weight yourself, admit it!!!!

No, but I did grow for my own consumption. :ban: I'll see y'all in a week or so.

SR
02-02-2009, 10:35 PM

I don't disagree. The "War on Drugs" wastes about $300b tax payer dollars everywhere. Let the survival of the fittest take care of those ******s.

Poet
02-02-2009, 10:36 PM
No, but I did grow for my own consumption. :ban: I'll see y'all in a week or so.

Prepare to get spammed with PMs from Hoes and OB.

Slick
02-02-2009, 10:37 PM
I don't disagree. The "War on Drugs" wastes about $300b tax payer dollars everywhere. Let the survival of the fittest take care of those ******s.

Exactly.

gnomeflinger
02-02-2009, 10:47 PM

Mr Gnome says MJ and prostitution should be legalized, and taxed. :shocked:

Slick
02-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Mr Gnome says MJ and prostitution should be legalized. :shocked:

You should give him sexual favors for that comment.

frauschieze
02-02-2009, 10:51 PM

Mr. Gnome is a smart man.

shank
02-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Mr. Gnome is a smart man.

either that or he's high and horny

gnomeflinger
02-02-2009, 11:08 PM
either that or he's high and horny

Haha.. high no, horny, always.

aberdien
02-02-2009, 11:11 PM
You know deep down he isn't sorry that he did it. Just sorry that he got caught.

But oh well, it's his life to live. It doesn't make me think any less of him, at least.

DenverBronkHoes
02-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Are you :bandit: tonight Hoes?

u know it baby.... keeps me breathing... keeps me on my toes.... ran 3 miles today also.... STONED!!!!!

DenverBronkHoes
02-02-2009, 11:52 PM

no charles is his own man.... and he speaks truth... hes not afraid of consequence....

an guy that tells a cop that hes on his way to get the greatest head in the world to try to get out of a DUI is friggin classic.....

im no charles barkley.... i can never compare myself to a man with such wisdom

DenverBronkHoes
02-02-2009, 11:54 PM
I am ancient. Not like...Topscribe ancient, but old.

leave my god great-grandfather alone

DenverBronkHoes
02-02-2009, 11:55 PM

or.... or how bouth this....

get rid of booze, cigs, and prescribed drugs and save about 700k lives a year while the bong tokers grow day by day and never die.....

DenverBronkHoes
02-02-2009, 11:57 PM

agree 100%

people wanna blow of steam and get laid.... we are human beings for christ sake.... its in our DNA.....

weed and prostituion has been flourishing long before ANY laws made them illegal....

DenverBronkHoes
02-02-2009, 11:58 PM
"Prohibition Will Never Work As Well As Regulation And Control"

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 12:04 AM
sorry for the ranting people.....

this is obviously one of my favorite topics....

Bottom line... stupid to let the pictures get taken... but the guy can do what he wants. Hes a man. He makes decisions. He also is a hell of an athlete and competitor. Its just lame that media creates and image of a guy who because of his fame ALSO has to live up to a media superman.... This country thrives off of garbage like this. Fortunately, pot is used by more athletes than some of you people may think. And why not???... its safe... its natural... its soothing.... it doesnt get u DUI's.... IF you use it correctly, it can be very motivating....Fruity Nuggets for life

aberdien
02-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Everybody makes mistakes. Everybody has those days.

Poet
02-03-2009, 12:20 AM
Hoes.......I love you? I think?

Broncos Mtnman
02-03-2009, 12:25 AM

Really big of him considering he was captured on film.

Poet
02-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Really big of him considering he was captured on film.

It's weed. My god, it's weed.

frauschieze
02-03-2009, 12:37 AM
Everybody makes mistakes. Everybody has those days.

OMG. You did NOT just do that.

I cannot vote for you next year for best musical taste now. My illusions have been shattered. :tsk:

Broncos Mtnman
02-03-2009, 12:38 AM
It's weed. My god, it's weed.

It's illegal. My god, it's illegal.

Poet
02-03-2009, 12:51 AM

So is jay walking. Because something is illegal does not make it bad.

MLK Jr. did "illegal" things.

Broncos Mtnman
02-03-2009, 01:02 AM

You're comparing civil disobedience to end discrimination to toking up?

Get serious.

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 01:20 AM
dam conservatives..... the ******* guy is a gold medal american.....

it could be worse... he could have been smoking crystal meth or shoving ectasy pills up his arse

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 01:22 AM

actually smoking weed isnt illegal... in fact there isnt a law against smoking it....

victimless crime, my god victimless crime

Poet
02-03-2009, 02:15 AM
You're comparing civil disobedience to end discrimination to toking up?

Get serious.

No. What I did do was prove that just because something is illegal it doesn't make it a big deal or bad. Which I did.

Which in turn blows up the "its illegal" argument.

It isn't a big deal.

Thnikkaman
02-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Either you're reading impaired or didn't read the article...

It was on November 6, weeks after his Beijing triumph, that 23-year-old Phelps surprised students at the University Of South Carolina in Columbia by showing up unannounced at a house party.
[snip]

That's my bad. The 3 other sources I have heard on this topic yesterday (Dan Patrick, The Mike O'Meara Show out of DC, and some other news affiliate), had all said the picture was from 2004.

Still doesn't change the way I felt about the story. I feel pretty confident that he abstained from smoking weed during his training, and qualifications for the Games.

And Mtnmn, I would like to thank you for starting this thread to get people talking about what a bunch of nonsense the story is. Considering the voting public in the last 10 years has overwhelmingly supported medical marijuana and legalization in states that have had it on the ballot, I don't see this hurting his image much.

So I want to know, if they made alcohol illegal, would you still drink? Do you drive your car without your seat belt fastened?

If you answer no to those two questions honestly, then I totally respect your opinion on this. And we will go the way of your signature.

Northman
02-03-2009, 07:45 AM
He is a sports icon. He's got more gold medals that some people have years behind them. He's a world sports champion and a role model for millions. He is an idiot for putting himself in this position.

My sentiments exactly. He is a great kid and a great athlete but this wasnt one of his best moments and showed very poor judgement on his part.

Nomad
02-03-2009, 08:17 AM
My sentiments exactly. He is a great kid and a great athlete but this wasnt one of his best moments and showed very poor judgement on his part.

He's only 23! Remember, 40 is the new 30....30 is the new 20.....so I guess that means 20 is the new 10. It is excused because he has the mentality of a 13 yr old!:D

claymore
02-03-2009, 09:30 AM
I really wish he would have come out and said he did it, he will remain to do it and see's nothing wrong with it.

He is an American hero, and it would really help with the legalization cause.

Dreadnought
02-03-2009, 09:47 AM

I'll just weigh in here once, because on the list of issues I am passionate about it is hard to find one I care less about than pot legalization. I oppose, FWIW, but so what. If its legalized the World won't end either. The whole debate simply bores the Hell out of me.

The only reason I'm piping in is to make a couple of points. I quit that stuff before some of you were born. Why? Because its illegal. I wear a seatbelt and don't answer my cell while driving. Same reason. Does that make me a better person? No. Its because I believe that in a government where people elect representatives to enact Laws that we have to obey even the stupid laws. The whole system is founded on that. I have always been extremely leery of civil disobedience against a representative government, even if the cause is good, because it eventually corrodes the fabric and jeopardizes freedom and liberty. Ironic, but there it is. We simply can't allow citizen's to pick and choose laws to obey when Free (albeit flawed) institutions have established those laws.

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 09:50 AM
I'll just weigh in here once, because on the list of issues I am passionate about it is hard to find one I care less about than pot legalization. I oppose, FWIW, but so what. If its legalized the World won't end either. The whole debate simply bores the Hell out of me.

The only reason I'm piping in is to make a couple of points. I quit that stuff before some of you were born. Why? Because its illegal. I wear a seatbelt and don't answer my cell while driving. Same reason. Does that make me a better person? No. Its because I believe that in a government where people elect representatives to enact Laws that we have to obey even the stupid laws. The whole system is founded on that. I have always been extremely leery of civil disobedience against a representative government, even if the cause is good, because it eventually corrodes the fabric and jeopardizes freedom and liberty. Ironic, but there it is. We simply can't allow citizen's to pick and choose laws to obey when Free (albeit flawed) institutions have established those laws.

i agree in a sick and twisted way...... and i love the "we cant let citizens pick and choose laws to obey......." you are right... LAwmakers, politicians and people with power abuse laws like that everyday.... It seems like nobody watches over them.....

Dreadnought
02-03-2009, 09:59 AM
i agree in a sick and twisted way...... and i love the "we cant let citizens pick and choose laws to obey......." you are right... LAwmakers, politicians and people with power abuse laws like that everyday.... It seems like nobody watches over them.....

Well, most times they are only giving the people what they want, so whose fault is it in the end? Mostly our own.

Northman
02-03-2009, 10:00 AM

Except for the Watchmen.

claymore
02-03-2009, 10:00 AM

I agree for the most part. America was founded on civil disobedience though. More laws need to be left up to the people IMO. Matter of fact, we just need allot less laws.

BroncoJoe
02-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Looks like most sponsors are sticking with him - for now anyway...

MILWAUKEE — Michael Phelps doesn’t seem to be in much hot water with his sponsors despite being photographed inhaling from a marijuana pipe.

From apparel company Speedo to luxury Swiss watchmaker Omega, several sponsors are standing by the 23-year-old swimming phenom — at least for now — and have accepted his public apology. Other big companies, like Visa Inc., Subway and Kellogg Co., aren’t talking yet.

Experts say if Phelps doesn’t stick to the straight and narrow, he could hurt his chances at future endorsements. And there’s no guarantee he won’t be dropped quietly once the furor dies down.

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=317467

MOtorboat
02-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Looks like most sponsors are sticking with him - for now anyway...

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=317467

Because he saved face.

He's good to go now.

It's like Giambi and Pettitte. Own up to what you did. Say you're sorry, and everyone forgets about it.

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Because he saved face.

He's good to go now.

It's like Giambi and Pettitte. Own up to what you did. Say you're sorry, and everyone forgets about it.

america is a forgiving place..... people will get many chances. What we really REALLY hate here.... What really pisses us americans off is LIARS

broncofaninfla
02-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Seems like Kellogg’s and Subway would capitalize on the munchies aspect of this controversy:laugh:

Nomad
02-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Seems like Kellogg’s and Subway would capitalize on the munchies aspect of this controversy:laugh:

:laugh:Could you imagine the commerical? Phelps hitting the bong turns to his buddies and is hungry, so he pulls out a box of Kelloggs Frosted Flakes! Cheetos is considering having Phelps endorse them as well!!

OB
02-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Really - people need to realize MJ is not that big a deal and needs to be made legal - its not the EVIL drug the govt made it out to be years n years ago - IMO him doing this only helps prove that fact - nothing wrong with recreational MJ use - but like any other SUBSTANCE it should not be abused

Northman
02-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Really - people need to realize MJ is not that big a deal and needs to be made legal - its not the EVIL drug the govt made it out to be years n years ago - IMO him doing this only helps prove that fact - nothing wrong with recreational MJ use - but like any other SUBSTANCE it should not be abused

All true but the reality is it would get abused VERY quickly.

OB
02-03-2009, 12:39 PM

No different that alcohol or cigs - nicotine is more addictive than anything found in MJ

A person who will abuse MJ is going to abuse whatever else they can find - its their personalty - hell Rx drugs - hundreds of them are far more addictive, abused and misused on a daily basis - its about one thing with this country - MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

claymore
02-03-2009, 12:40 PM

It already does. But the abuse of MJ caries far less reprucussions of almost anything.

You can only get so high, and the main side effect is it makes you lazy versus driving drunk, beating wife, etc.....

MOtorboat
02-03-2009, 12:40 PM
No different that alcohol or cigs - nicotine is more addictive than anything found in MJ

A person who will abuse MJ is going to abuse whatever else they can find - its their personalty - hell Rx drugs - hundreds of them are far more addictive, abused and misused on a daily basis - its about one thing with this country - MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, for now, it's still illegal, and the others aren't.

What Phelps did was illegal, but I just don't really care.

OB
02-03-2009, 12:43 PM

Well i guess it would depend on WHERE he did it - Denver city limits - Amsterdam? Its not illegal everywhere and my point is it shouldnt be - and this is just more proof of that

Northman
02-03-2009, 12:44 PM

I dont disagree with any of that. Doesnt change the fact that if it becomes legal that everyone and their mother will be doing it at work, at home, etc. Thats like saying, hey, we know you are a crack addict but we are going to go ahead and legalize it for you so that you can really go down the tube. Sure, MJ isnt as bad as crack in terms of killing you but if people already become impaired it will only make it that much worse. Any responsibility we have now will go out the window if they legalize it. Cant say i agree with you about legalizing it. Would make things worse not better.

claymore
02-03-2009, 12:46 PM

There are tons of silly laws and ordinances.

OB
02-03-2009, 12:46 PM
I dont disagree with any of that. Doesnt change the fact that if it becomes legal that everyone and their mother will be doing it at work, at home, etc. Thats like saying, hey, we know you are a crack addict but we are going to go ahead and legalize it for you so that you can really go down the tube. Sure, MJ isnt as bad as crack in terms of killing you but if people already become impaired it will only make it that much worse. Any responsibility we have now will go out the window if they legalize it. Cant say i agree with you about legalizing it. Would make things worse not better.

But you can make it legal w/ restrictions

You can also just decriminilize it

Either of those would curb any public abuse

Northman
02-03-2009, 12:49 PM
But you can make it legal w/ restrictions

You can also just decriminilize it

Either of those would curb any public abuse

And what restrictions would you put on it? Im Curious.

claymore
02-03-2009, 12:50 PM

Exact same as booze.

OB
02-03-2009, 12:54 PM

Amount you can possess - where you can partake (not in public or in a vehicle) - who can sell it - how it would be taxed - no growing (although i dont like that one) - those alone should cover any big issues

Northman
02-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Amount you can possess - where you can partake (not in public or in a vehicle) - who can sell it - how it would be taxed - no growing (although i dont like that one) - those alone should cover any big issues

But it hasnt worked with Alcohol so why would anyone think it would work with MJ?

OB
02-03-2009, 12:57 PM
But it hasnt worked with Alcohol so why would anyone think it would work with MJ?

Then why is alcohol legal?

Northman
02-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Then why is alcohol legal?

Your guess is as good as mine. I personally can do without it. Sure, i love a beer here and there but my life wouldnt be over if it was banned altogether.

OB
02-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Your guess is as good as mine. I personally can do without it. Sure, i love a beer here and there but my life wouldnt be over if it was banned altogether.

Yeah but we already know it wouldnt work if they tried -

I dont like the hypocritical "reason" our govt keeps MJ illegal

Its no better or worse than alcohol - so do unto one as you would do unto the other is all im sayin

And i would rather drive with someone who was a stoner than a drunk

NightTrainLayne
02-03-2009, 01:03 PM

Your man-card is hereby revoked per guidelines listed in man-law code 121.539a.

Northman
02-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Your man-card is hereby revoked per guidelines listed in man-law code 121.539a.

Get in the pit with me, ive got your man for ya. :lol:

Poet
02-03-2009, 01:21 PM

I uunderstand all that, I do. And as you get older, you start to have more to lose. You get a family, you get a good job, you start having bills and all that. Doing things like smoking pot is nothing but trouble for you. By all logic you should have quit then.

But all I'm saying is that just because something is illegal it does not make it bad or a big deal.

I'm 100% not in the "its natural/beer is worse/hippie movement type of deal". But to be honest nothing bad really happens when you smoke pot.

I understand the "it's illegal so I'm not going to do it" mindstate. But, the "it's illegal" so it is a huge deal state of mind is illogical, IMO.

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Yeah but we already know it wouldnt work if they tried -

I dont like the hypocritical "reason" our govt keeps MJ illegal

Its no better or worse than alcohol - so do unto one as you would do unto the other is all im sayin

And i would rather drive with someone who was a stoner than a drunk

why drink and drive when u can smoke and fly???

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Jah is my co-pilot

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Prohibition Will Never Work As Well As Regulation And Control

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Joe........

Colorado was beautiful.... Did u see any of my pics?

BroncoJoe
02-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Joe........

Colorado was beautiful.... Did u see any of my pics?

I didn't. Where did you post them? I need a good puke.

NightTrainLayne
02-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Reminder: References to illegal activity and/or drugs and drug paraphanalia are not allowed per the Code of Conduct.

I know we're talking about Michael Phelps drug use, but the references to personal drug paraphanalia and use of illegal drugs needs to go someplace else.

Thanks!

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 03:19 PM
I didn't. Where did you post them? I need a good puke.

in my special thread for special people thread...... AKA http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28523&page=5

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Reminder: References to illegal activity and/or drugs and drug paraphanalia are not allowed per the Code of Conduct.

I know we're talking about Michael Phelps drug use, but the references to personal drug paraphanalia and use of illegal drugs needs to go someplace else.

Thanks!

i dont know what ur talking about.... im talkin about flavored tobacco and smoking it from tobacco water pipes....

i dont partake in any illegal activities

Benetto
02-03-2009, 04:08 PM
In my state and for me it is not illegal, until it gets voted against in the future.

I respect the code of conduct and how this is not the lounge and all, so I will remove myself from this convo.

Michael Phelps is an idiot...This type of stuff should be in private areas, with people you can trust your life with...Not in some college party, with a bunch of drunken idiots...Priorities should be in order for a person over 21, and your ego shouldn't be at the top of the list....Michael phelps is an IDIOT...

Nomad
02-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Looks like a SC sheriff is going after him and try to press charges!

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/9163964/SC-sheriff-investigating-Phelps'-bong-photo&MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002

Slick
02-03-2009, 04:43 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/9163964/SC-sheriff-investigating-Phelps'-bong-photo&MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002

Waste of tax payer dollars, and the sherrif's time IMO. He's just trying to get his name in the papers. What would happen to Phelps anyways? A misdemeanor, a drug class or two.

What an absolute waste. :puke:

Nomad
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I agree Slick! This shouldn't surprise you knowing how local/state/federal officials prioritize!

Slick
02-03-2009, 04:59 PM
I agree Slick! This shouldn't surprise you knowing how local/state/federal officials prioritize!

No it doesn't surprise me at all.

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 05:14 PM
In my state and for me it is not illegal, until it gets voted against in the future.

I respect the code of conduct and how this is not the lounge and all, so I will remove myself from this convo.

Michael Phelps is an idiot...This type of stuff should be in private areas, with people you can trust your life with...Not in some college party, with a bunch of drunken idiots...Priorities should be in order for a person over 21, and your ego shouldn't be at the top of the list....Michael phelps is an IDIOT...

not an idiot for smoking the wacky stuff.... just stupid for letting his pic get taken....

somebody knew that pic would be worth something.... his own fault it happened... but i totally respect the guy's choice to party safe

BroncoJoe
02-03-2009, 05:16 PM
in my special thread for special people thread...... AKA http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28523&page=5

My State has been soiled forever.

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 05:17 PM

theres no charge for smoking weed... It even says in the article "possession"... u cant posess weed in a picture....

theres no law against the consumption...

This sherriff is just boasting himself..... trying to get rich in a shit economy by laying the law on a popular american figure....

boo this idiot sherriff

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 05:18 PM

total joke

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 05:20 PM
My State has been soiled forever.

its my state too buddy..... The most beautiful in all of the USA..... You're state, OUR state, was blessed to have me there committing victimless crimes..

..........and nobody's daughters were harmed in the process

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 05:20 PM
jah blessing

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 05:22 PM
p.t.b.

BroncoJoe
02-03-2009, 05:25 PM
I need to do some research to see how many times you post in a thread 3-5 times after yourself. Can you not think beyond a single thought and post it in one reply? I'm thinking the wacky-tobacci is effecting your thoughts...

Just curious.

(and busting your balls)

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 05:44 PM
I need to do some research to see how many times you post in a thread 3-5 times after yourself. Can you not think beyond a single thought and post it in one reply? I'm thinking the wacky-tobacci is effecting your thoughts...

Just curious.

(and busting your balls)

u know what it is JOE?

my mind is jumping around.... Picture this....

Me... 4 computer 2 screens all doing something on each...

example...:

on this computer i am typing on i am encoding video projects... Encoding basically requires ALOT of time and a fast computer with plenty of resources...

on the next computer i have an editing session going on where basically i am creating titles and clipping video up getting it ready for output...

on my 3rd computer i am uploading miniDV tapes to AVI format... prepping for editing, outputting, and eventually encoding...

The last computer is my upload station where i run the 8mm/16mm film through the computer to create RAW AVI files.... These are the foundation files to a 2 hour family movie DVD......

The only computer that requires me to be on that specific job is editing... Everything else kind of works by itself....

So i keep track of multiple projects, multiple jobs, AND i am sneaking in to BF to drop some knowledge on the Phelps story..... Had phelps not been busted with a bong i would have prolly not logged in till the weekend... BUT.. i gotta represent...

You see Joe... the more time i spend on BF, the less money i earn, Hence the less wacky tobacky i can buy(lololol).......

They pay me the big bucks to run the company and multitask everyday....... This what i do... this is who i am.... Thats why i value my vacations. This is why i want to own my own business doing this shit cuz i think i do well. These canadiens make 7-8k a month while i take home little less than half that...

BTW that isnt a complaint... I just wanted to make sure i get more than 1 thought out on this post so i can try to impress you and show u i am worth more than a lacklusting, potsmoking, economy draining, lolly-gagging, miserable piece of monkey shit that you may, or may not think i am....

:cool:

o and Joe...... Have a splendid day sir.... ;)

BroncoJoe
02-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Lets go into business together, Hoes.

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 06:15 PM
taste like paint chips.......

yummy

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 06:24 PM
from another angle, its really gross and sad that some loser took this pic and most likely made money from it knowing that this country drooools off of famous people's mishaps....

Slick
02-03-2009, 06:36 PM
It's funny how you don't see Hoes post for a month, but when his subject comes up, it's bombs away.

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 06:41 PM
It's funny how you don't see Hoes post for a month, but when his subject comes up, it's bombs away.

im very passionate about certain things.... broncos, punkrock, videography and editing, and of course i love this subject....

This Phelps story is most certainly a win for the stoners of america... Its real sad that we have this sherriff guy building a name for himself off of it.... He wants to be like that one sherriff guy who makes his prisoners wear pink underwear in jail....

Hoes is a busy man these days..... i am very 'MOTA'vated ;)

Poet
02-03-2009, 06:42 PM

There was a bacon thread and Gator made the comment "It's like a moth to the flame, can you smell bacon on the internet King?"

Hoes is the same way.

I would be scared to smoke pot with him.

Slick
02-03-2009, 06:45 PM
There was a bacon thread and Gator made the comment "It's like a moth to the flame, can you smell bacon on the internet King?"

Hoes is the same way.

Who doesn't like bacon? Mmmmmm.

I'd hang out with Hoes no problem, and I'll just leave it at that.

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 06:45 PM

Hoes is the same way.

not scared...... 'sacred'

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Who doesn't like bacon? Mmmmmm.

I'd hang out with Hoes no problem, and I'll just leave it at that.

uhh.... a little NOFX sundae with extra bacon and frooty nuggets on top?

PTB....

Poet
02-03-2009, 06:52 PM
u see where im from right? theres no meth out here on this side of the country really.... Everyone is too busy smokin good reefer..

I dont live in the midwest out there in montana and wyoming and kansas where u can sleep with all your friends in 1 day and smoke enough meth to make a gorilla go BANANAS!!!

It's bad in Illinois too. Every month or so you hear about farmers having pesticides stolen from them.

Meth is the foulest drug ever.

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 06:52 PM
since were here..... can somebody do a brick dance?

and im not talking about a crappy little dance... i wanna see a brick...

PTB

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 06:55 PM
It's bad in Illinois too. Every month or so you hear about farmers having pesticides stolen from them.

Meth is the foulest drug ever.

i would say u r the dirtiest of dirty white trash if u r puffin that shit.... makes u age, kills ur teeth... screws up ur insides... Its just nasty that a human being can have such gross respect for their own body...

check out SPUN if u havent... great movie

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 06:56 PM
BB and TT.... what up guys...?? see u all lurking

DenverBronkHoes
02-03-2009, 07:02 PM
note to JOE....

see....? i spent alot of time on BF today and didnt get as much done as i am use too....

im going to have to ban myself until the next weed discussion....:D

Dreadnought
02-03-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm going to remind everybody, and I'll do it once, that advocating drug use and/or other illegal stuff is off limits here. It does not matter if you think it ought to be legal or not; write your Congress member if you think so.

Continued postings of this sort will cause this thread to be closed and/or deleted

turftoad
02-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Evidently we have forgotten about the rules and guidelines here.

RULES:

1. No discussion of any illegal activity

2. No links to any website that discusses anything that is not permitted on this forum (such as, but not limited to, pornographic sites, sites that promote illegal activity, etc.).

GUIDELINES:

2. There are many members that are minors and many people that post with their children looking over their shoulder. If it shouldn’t be viewed by minors, then it shouldn’t be posted. We will use the ‘reasonable parent’ approach. If a ‘reasonable parent’ would consider it objectionable, it shouldn’t be posted.

So............. it looks like I'll be closing this thread while I can clean it up.

I expect this will be the last of it when it opens back up.

turftoad
02-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Evidently we have forgotten about the rules and guidelines here.

RULES:

1. No discussion of any illegal activity

2. No links to any website that discusses anything that is not permitted on this forum (such as, but not limited to, pornographic sites, sites that promote illegal activity, etc.).

GUIDELINES:

2. There are many members that are minors and many people that post with their children looking over their shoulder. If it shouldn’t be viewed by minors, then it shouldn’t be posted. We will use the ‘reasonable parent’ approach. If a ‘reasonable parent’ would consider it objectionable, it shouldn’t be posted.

So............. it looks like I'll be closing this thread while I can clean it up.

I expect this will be the last of it when it opens back up.

Thanks!

OK, I'm opening this thread back up.
This is about Micheal Phelps. Go ahead and discuss the topic, whether you agree if it's legal etc... etc...

This is not a thread to discuss personal illegal drug use. Period.

TIA, Turf

Slick
02-03-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm surprised we got this far. Thanks mods.

I dropped a little line to NTL, basically saying I've said my peace, what little point I wanted to try to make was made. I think. :lol:

I'm done.

Northman
02-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Guess Phelps had some issues with Alcohol as well. In 2004 he got a DUI which i didnt know about. Kid needs to get his head on straight.

DenverBronkHoes
02-04-2009, 10:43 AM
he's fine.... the kid achieved his goals and dreams with or without this shit...

All this EXTRA stuff?... the media attention, the sponsers, the popularity.... He didnt want that... It came with the territory.

one thing is for sure...... Thats the last picture u will see of him doing anything like that, and i garantee it aint the last time he smokes from a bong.....

DenverBronkHoes
02-04-2009, 02:12 PM
anyone watch CNBC last night..... Was a very interesting show... It dealt with alot of stuff about, this pertaining too, but kinda like this Michael Phelps topic thing .... sorry im just trying to be careful here with what i say....

but ya... good show last night.... really cool check it out..... CNBC...

Benetto
02-04-2009, 02:24 PM
One word of advice to mods...If a subject topic is borderline prohibited, or a tos violation...Why warn everyone 2-3 even four times? There is three logical ways to solve the problem without having members worry about the words they use when disscussing this topic.

Why not just close the thread and we can all move on
Move the thread to Lounge so we can disscuss without fear of reprimand (and no, its not the paranoia).
let it slide in this thread. :D
Just my honest opinion. Thanks for your time.

turftoad
02-04-2009, 02:33 PM
One word of advice to mods...If a subject topic is borderline prohibited, or a tos violation...Why warn everyone 2-3 even four times? There is three logical ways to solve the problem without having members worry about the words they use when disscussing this topic.

Why not just close the thread and we can all move on
Move the thread to Lounge so we can disscuss without fear of reprimand (and no, its not the paranoia).
let it slide in this thread. :D
Just my honest opinion. Thanks for your time.

Hey Ben, you've modded before, you know it's not that cut and dry.

#1) It's a good thread with some good discussion. Why close it. It went off topic with "discussion of any illegal activity" which is a violation of the COC and guidelines.
#2) Even in the lounge it's a violation to discuss illegal activity.
#3) Can't let it slide, it's still a violation of discussing illegal avtivity.

GUIDELINES:

2. There are many members that are minors and many people that post with their children looking over their shoulder. If it shouldn’t be viewed by minors, then it shouldn’t be posted.

Dreadnought
02-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Thread Closed. Turf answered the question thoroughly and civilly. Illegal activity may not be discussed here. It may not be discussed in the Lounge. It may not be discussed anywhere in Broncosforums