View Full Version : Weigmann Not Retiring

spikerman
02-01-2009, 04:26 PM
This helps.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3877106

Agent: Wiegmann will return to BroncosComment Email Print By Bill Williamson
ESPN.com
Archive
The Denver Broncos can scratch the idea of needing a center off the list as they begin the Josh McDaniels era.

AFC West blog

ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation
Casey Wiegmann will return. Wiegmann said at the end of the season that he was considering retirement. However, his agent said the Pro Bowl player will return to the team in 2009.

"Casey will play at least a couple more years," agent Joe Linta said Sunday. "He is playing his best football and he feels really good. He will be back."

Wiegmann, who will be 36 in July, has one more season remaining on his Denver contract. Wiegmann became a great steal for Denver who signed him to a modest contract late in the offseason as an insurance policy for longtime standout center Tom Nalen who missed the last 11 games of the 2007 season with a arm injury. Nalen ended up missing the entire 2008 season with a knee injury and he is planning to retire.

Wiegmann nearly retired after playing for the past seven years with Kansas City. He ended up having a strong season for the Broncos and was named to the Pro Bowl as an injury replacement for the Titans' Kevin Mawae. Wiegmann was the first alternate on the AFC team.

Bill Williamson covers the AFC West for ESPN.com.

G_Money
02-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Excellent. I still don't mind drafting a good OG/C on the 2nd day, but this means it isn't a dire need, and Lichtensteiger can focus on competing for Hamilton's slot and being our backup C, as Hamilton was for a while.

I'd still love to add Wood from Louisville - with our OL we need guys in BEFORE they are actually needed on the field, so we can get them a year on the sidelines to master the offense. I'd think that'd be even more crucial for a rookie center who would be making line calls.

Canfield's on my list as a backup G in case Lichtensteiger can't hack it, or is needed at C instead in the next year or two.

~G

spikerman
02-01-2009, 04:31 PM
I hope Hamilton doesn't go anywhere though. I've always been a Hamilton guy.

frauschieze
02-01-2009, 04:50 PM
This is good news. I'm glad he decided to stick around. His manhandling of Kris Jenkins this year was astonishing.

Bozo Jr.
02-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Awesome! Weigmann did a fine job for us. Even if we get only 1 more season with him snapping to Cutty is a reason to celebrate. The guy just plain Rocks!

SmilinAssasSin27
02-01-2009, 05:28 PM
I still want AQ Shipley, C, Penn State on day 2.

Italianmobstr7
02-01-2009, 06:44 PM
AQ Shipley is awesome. Very glad we're keeping Weigmann. He played great for us this year.

Den21vsBal19
02-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Good news :D

Requiem / The Dagda
02-01-2009, 09:52 PM
Agree with the sentiments of G completely.

TXBRONC
02-01-2009, 10:06 PM
That is very good new, his veteran leadership is worth it's weight in gold.

Dean
02-01-2009, 10:22 PM
The entire offensive line along with back ups will be back along with the O-line coach. The AFC wins the Super Bowl. It's a good day. :elefant:

I wonder if this means we will still be a zone blocking running team.

Hobe
02-01-2009, 10:23 PM
:whoo:

LRtagger
02-01-2009, 10:30 PM
:elefant::elefant::elefant:

TXBRONC
02-01-2009, 10:32 PM
The entire offensive line along with back ups will be back along with the O-line coach. The AFC wins the Super Bowl. It's a good day. :elefant:

I wonder if this means we will still be a zone blocking running team.

It seems like we will considering that Dennison is still the offensive line coach.

Superchop 7
02-02-2009, 01:19 AM
They need to reward him for his play.

WARHORSE
02-02-2009, 04:53 AM
Looks like the fumbles between Nalen and Cutler the last couple of years was Nails...............I dont remember a single fumble in the exchange between Wiegman and Cutler.

omac
02-02-2009, 06:52 AM
I thought it was a great move by Shanny backing up Nalen with Wiegmann just in case, and at a good price. Turned out better than any of us expected. :cheers:

broncofaninfla
02-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Great news, one less position to worry about.

NightTrainLayne
02-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Looks like the fumbles between Nalen and Cutler the last couple of years was Nails...............I dont remember a single fumble in the exchange between Wiegman and Cutler.

About halfway through the season I had the same thought. Either that, or Cutler just worked on it enough to get it right for once.

I was very worried about changing centers due to JC's snap exchange problems the last two years, but it wasn't a problem at all this year.

GEM
02-02-2009, 05:39 PM
They need to reward him for his play.

He did somewhat get one.....his 1 and only appearance in the Pro Bowl...though I don't count the Pro Bowl worth much.

TXBRONC
02-02-2009, 05:40 PM
I thought it was a great move by Shanny backing up Nalen with Wiegmann just in case, and at a good price. Turned out better than any of us expected. :cheers:

Most definitely. Wiegmann was very smart pick up.

Broncos Mtnman
02-02-2009, 06:15 PM
This helps.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3877106

Agent: Wiegmann will return to BroncosComment Email Print By Bill Williamson
ESPN.com
Archive
The Denver Broncos can scratch the idea of needing a center off the list as they begin the Josh McDaniels era.

AFC West blog

ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation
Casey Wiegmann will return. Wiegmann said at the end of the season that he was considering retirement. However, his agent said the Pro Bowl player will return to the team in 2009.

"Casey will play at least a couple more years," agent Joe Linta said Sunday. "He is playing his best football and he feels really good. He will be back."

Wiegmann, who will be 36 in July, has one more season remaining on his Denver contract. Wiegmann became a great steal for Denver who signed him to a modest contract late in the offseason as an insurance policy for longtime standout center Tom Nalen who missed the last 11 games of the 2007 season with a arm injury. Nalen ended up missing the entire 2008 season with a knee injury and he is planning to retire.

Wiegmann nearly retired after playing for the past seven years with Kansas City. He ended up having a strong season for the Broncos and was named to the Pro Bowl as an injury replacement for the Titans' Kevin Mawae. Wiegmann was the first alternate on the AFC team.

Bill Williamson covers the AFC West for ESPN.com.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080616/Mike-Myers/Waynes-World_l.jpg

EXCELLENT!